Thirsty onos 20 20.8.15 grumble

AlienJuAlienJu Join Date: 2005-04-07 Member: 47732Members
Yesterday on thirsty onos 20 I got kicked for apparent trolling. So running around, trying to improve my axe game is seen as a deeply offensive strategy. So maybe I was slightly fucked offed when a successful vote for a round of caged was changed even before the map got loaded. The fact that supafred, and I think quite a few admins were playing at the time, and did nothing about the vote being hijacked I found to be poor form. Isn't it your job to counter the trolls that hijacked a fair vote?

It's always the same group of vocal pro/prominent players kick off against one of the lesser played maps, and just want to play the usual suspects.
And I usually grumble, true, if it is veil or summit or one of those, but if it's a fair vote, fair enough. But it seems that my silent protest yesterday really agitated some players (good) . But to be accused of throwing the game was laughable, I usually am at the bottom of the score board, I can't aim, or barely land a successful bite, and my WiFi ping is questionable (not everyone can be wired to the router, so stop judging me by your own standards, if you can't hit me I can hardly hit you).

It is just so annoying that these pro/prominent vocal players always play the same maps, and don't want to give other maps a fair chance. We all know that maps take a while to learn, and yes, some maybe unbalanced. But the number of times players stack on the usual maps doesn't seem to bother them, nor get many complaints.

So what is it that get them so riled? Take for example derelict. Within a few days of release this map was already called one sided, and people kick off when the map is played. Again these same regs choose to dismiss the map when most people don't know how to play it. Could it be that by playing the usual suspects, which they know so well gives them the upper edge? Or they are too lazy/proud to learn the lesser played maps because it will hurt their hive score? Probably a bit of both.

The thirsty onos is a public server, frequented by many players of different caliber and tastes which is why it is such a popular server. But it shouldn't only cater to just one group of players who only want to play veil, summit, tram etc. So when some of the less popular maps get voted on, give it at least 20 minutes of your time before rtv. Don't let the judgements of the pro and prominent players dictate your choices. Have a grumble and then, like I do, get on with it. Otherwise the servers die and nobody is a winner.

/grumble out

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This may be better suited in a discussion with the server administrators on said server in regards to the trolling as that's more of a server issue than an NS2 problem.

Yes you will get server regulars that hold sway and/or like to push votes in their favor that's just the nature of the person in general, personally I always vote for the underplayed maps as its more exciting to learn new tactics.

People are scared of change, anything that makes them feel uncomfortable will prompt a negative reaction.

I generally disregard these people because at one point these same people regarded summit, tram, veil, docking as "shit" because they didn't understand the layout, ambush points, tactically advantageous choke points on the maps that warranted their praise, few years later now look at these people, they always vote for the same maps now.

Heres a scenario, imagine if ns2_derelict was one of the first maps released and tram was the latest release, people would be voting derelict instead and calling tram "shit" because they don't know how to play it yet.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Don't go blaming it all on the players. Some maps are just bad. For example, no one really complains about Biodome much, but Docking still catches a ton of shit. Derelict still has some problems but it isn't nearly as bad as Eclipse.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are some servers which are particularly bad in which people who are given admin powers abuse them and do things like kick players randomly for pissing them off, being too good, etc. I tend to try to avoid those whenever possible.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    This may be better suited in a discussion with the server administrators on said server in regards to the trolling as that's more of a server issue than an NS2 problem.
    I agree with everything you said Jimbo except this bit. This needs to be aired, and people need to be shamed.

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Martigen wrote: »
    I agree with everything you said Jimbo except this bit. This needs to be aired, and people need to be shamed.

I agree with everything you said Marty except all of this haha, forum states no naming and shaming I'm afraid, believe me I've tried before haha
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    SHAME! SHAAAAME! SHAAAAAAME!!
  • AlienJuAlienJu Join Date: 2005-04-07 Member: 47732Members
    This post ain't about shaming individuals , more about highlighting certain players conduct and attitudes, without naming names. all nicely wrapped up in a context of what happened yesterday evening. Because without calling such practices out, this small community will be in danger of nuking itself into oblivion, and no one wants that.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @AlienJu
    I think it would have been better if you had contacted me on Steam or in a pm here since this is more related to my server or certain players than NS2. But since it's a public discussion now I'll answer here.

Last night we voted for Caged, I went to get something to drink and when I got back it was time for round start on Veil. Someone told me an admin had forced a map vote to change the map from Caged and I considered doing something about it but I chose not to since I wasn't sure exactly what had happened.

I agree with you that a map vote should be respected and I'll tell the guy who forced the map vote to not do it again. It's the first time I've seen it happen though so I don't think it's a big problem on The Thirsty Onos servers.

15-20 minutes into the new round I realized you were only using your axe. I asked you to stop a couple of times and when you didn't I kicked you because you were ruining the game for your team.

If you think someone is misbehaving on my servers then please tell me about it. Silent protests won't change anything. I didn't understand why you acted the way you did last night until I read your post here.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited August 2015
    SupaFred wrote: »
    @AlienJu
    I think it would have been better if you had contacted me on Steam or in a pm here since this is more related to my server or certain players than NS2. But since it's a public discussion now I'll answer here.

Last night we voted for Caged, I went to get something to drink and when I got back it was time for round start on Veil. Someone told me an admin had forced a map vote to change the map from Caged and I considered doing something about it but I chose not to since I wasn't sure exactly what had happened.

I agree with you that a map vote should be respected and I'll tell the guy who forced the map vote to not do it again. It's the first time I've seen it happen though so I don't think it's a big problem on The Thirsty Onos servers.

15-20 minutes into the new round I realized you were only using your axe. I asked you to stop a couple of times and when you didn't I kicked you because you were ruining the game for your team.

If you think someone is misbehaving on my servers then please tell me about it. Silent protests won't change anything. I didn't understand why you acted the way you did last night until I read your post here.

axe-rine is a valid tactic. not as powerful as welder-ine

but much more powerful than pistolrine.

you just haven't put enough hours into axe, to unlock the true potential of that ancient and sacred art.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    After reading SupaFred's post I take back my comment. Seems legit.
    Gah! Get out of my head GoT!
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ive always found the welder to be a more effective weapon, personal choice of course :) x
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    You newbish miserable scrubs.
    The one true art is obviously rifle bash.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    @AlienJu Since I did not catch this post in time, and the person you mentioned has respectfully replied already, the thread can remain - but in the future please follow the forum rules by not naming and shaming any individual or server. You can always PM or otherwise contact the individual / server on the side.

The rest of your discussion is appropriate, however.

Edit: As a side note, regarding your usage of an axe, remember that when you play in someone's paid for server you are subject to the rules and conduct of their choosing, as you are in their house, not yours. It is not unreasonable to kick someone who is non responsive to your attempts at contacting them when they are intentionally negatively impacting the other 11 players on the team, imo.
  • PrommahPrommah Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180293Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2015
    "trying to improve my axe game" can't be serious... Anyway, it had been quite some time since the revote, we'd already played summit and moved onto veil at that point. The game was very close and could've gone either way, but you kept charging at the hive or other defended positions with your axe out, going 1-17. You usually do a lot better than that and a dodgy connection is going to affect axing more than ranged combat. Plus, you can still be far more useful to the team than you were doing that, without attacking anything. Powerline adapters > wifi btw.

I believe at the time of the map vote, half of the players had loaded in. Should've given more time for a few more/some of them to come back if they were AFK, but I'm pretty certain the result would've been the same. We were 1 or 2 votes from an RTV. The vote that led to caged was tied with summit, 6 votes each, where a few had voted for caged as a joke (not saying that makes any votes invalid). Many were strongly opposed to playing caged which generally leads to things like people leaving, long waits for round starts, or just shitty rounds; nobody else seemed to particularly mind playing summit. A new vote seemed like the best option.

Personally I'd like to see nexus played in pubs a lot more, and maybe mineral (not seen a good pub round on it, but it's almost never played). I don't mind derelict in pubs. It definitely has balance problems. I've seen more stomps than decent games, but those decent ones were very enjoyable. I like caged in 6v6 as well, but I don't know for sure of it has balance problems (or if they're just tied to certain spawns). In pubs it generally seems to not work well, hence people's reactions.

"Have a grumble and then, like I do, get on with it." I think you should follow your own advice, but grumble in a PM instead.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015

(embedding isn't working properly, start @ 1:30)
    Prommah wrote: »
    Powerline adapters > wifi btw.
    Thanks bro, I shall investigate. Didn't realise these existed...

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

You false believer, the true art is obvious.

sans weapon, sans aggression, make your enemy take his own life, with the power of

DANCE

Dodge so good, you dodge them off a cliff. this is the true art.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    amoral wrote: »

You false believer, the true art is obvious.

sans weapon, sans aggression, make your enemy take his own life, with the power of

DANCE

Dodge so good, you dodge them off a cliff. this is the true art.

I once was in a game with @RedDog (hope that is the right guy), and I jumped off the cliff in crevice. As a skulk he jumped after me and just barely made it to the cliff on time to survive. Many laughs were had, but not as many we would of had if he had died. Dance, it works.
  • PrommahPrommah Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180293Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    AlienJu wrote: »

Do your research though! Some of them have problems and sometimes people's wiring isn't great with them, but problems are pretty rare. If it works for you, it's wonnnderrrfullllll.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Do your research though! Some of them have problems and sometimes people's wiring isn't great with them, but problems are pretty rare. If it works for you, it's wonnnderrrfullllll.
    Powerline brought my latency from my router from 15ms to 1ms. You will notice the difference.
  • FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

Edit: As a side note, regarding your usage of an axe, remember that when you play in someone's paid for server you are subject to the rules and conduct of their choosing, as you are in their house, not yours. It is not unreasonable to kick someone who is non responsive to your attempts at contacting them when they are intentionally negatively impacting the other 11 players on the team, imo.

This is pretty much the problem with online PC gaming. People act like, "Oh since there's no xbox live/psn subscription everything is free!!" No, everything is not free. Somebody pays a lot of money each month to run the server. The problem is you get favoritism for donors and the admin's friends. Donor/Admin wants you to play gorge and you want to play lerk? Banned. Don't want to rush nanogrid? Banned. Everyone is going to say, "Just play on better servers!" Yea, well, there's like 3 different entities that run servers for U.S. players if you want a decent ping. Hopefully you get along with those 3 entities, else no NS2 for you.

Come on UWE, bring back official servers so everyone is on an equal playing field and we don't have situations like the topic creator's.

This is pretty much the problem with online PC gaming. People act like, "Oh since there's no xbox live/psn subscription everything is free!!" No, everything is not free. Somebody pays a lot of money each month to run the server. The problem is you get favoritism for donors and the admin's friends. Donor/Admin wants you to play gorge and you want to play lerk? Banned. Don't want to rush nanogrid? Banned. Everyone is going to say, "Just play on better servers!" Yea, well, there's like 3 different entities that run servers for U.S. players if you want a decent ping. Hopefully you get along with those 3 entities, else no NS2 for you.

Come on UWE, bring back official servers so everyone is on an equal playing field and we don't have situations like the topic creator's.

What will then happen is that you will end up in a situation where there are hardly any admins whatsoever and subpar performance, not a good idea!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

What will then happen is that you will end up in a situation where there are hardly any admins whatsoever and subpar performance, not a good idea!

Not to mention UWE probably isn't making much money on this game anymore, certainly not enough to justify renting a bunch of servers. That'd just be financially irresponsible.

(Not ONE agree/awesome on my Soundgarden reference... to hell with you guys...)
    edited August 2015

Do you mean the house electrcal wiring or the actual wiring of the little plug you connect the either net cable into? I've done a preliminary scan of reviews, not much time at the moment with work n stuff. Just so I can be on the look out for any particular issues. Cheers
    I meant the house electrical wiring, yeah. As I say though it's pretty rare to have problems. I believe as long as your wiring isn't extremely messed up/noisey/etc and the sockets you connect between are on the same electrical loop, it should work fine. The wiring where I live is a COMPLETE mess, but when I used powerline adapters I used shitty off-brand ones and it still worked flawlessly. They're mostly decent, just make sure you don't get some that are known to be bad and it should be fine.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow

In my experience, the vast majority of server operators are reasonable and easy to get along with. If you're having trouble with that maybe it's time to examine your own attitude.

Do you mean the house electrcal wiring or the actual wiring of the little plug you connect the either net cable into? I've done a preliminary scan of reviews, not much time at the moment with work n stuff. Just so I can be on the look out for any particular issues. Cheers
    Other things to note:

* You get at most half the advertised speed. The advertised speed is what the adapters are capable of, but house wiring combined with heavy error correction and encryption overheads mean you'll never get this.
    * If you live in an apartment, you may share a circuit with neighbours, meaning their power use impacts your network quality. Fun note: in theory, they could also access your network by using their own adapters, but point to point encryption with your unique adapters prevents this.
    * Plug them in at each end directly to the socket, don't put them in a powerboard
    * They will provide good bandwidth (considering), but not reliable ping. Noise on the house wiring will make it fluctuate constantly.
    * Any motors plugged into the same circuit will cause increased noise -- hairdryers, mircowaves, fridges etc.

They're good for applications where you can buffer interruptions -- eg streaming video. For time-sensitive applications like online gaming, YMMV as it's vastly dependent on the quality of your wiring and what other devices are plugged into the same circuit.
    edited August 2015

Jesus all this excess waffle about powerline adapters I own 4 about the house all you need to know is,

Make sure your electrics are on the same circuit board, ask your landlord and/or electrician if you don't know how to!

If you live in a modern house the wiring shouldn't be that bad unless it's some 1900's building you live in with leaky taps and creaky floorboards I wouldn't worry.

Buy one which advertises the most speed, I purchased the 500 model and get 97mbps download speed on good day, my advertised speed on fibre optic is 100meg so I can't complain one bit.

Here the link enjoy!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0084Y9N3O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1440313119&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=Powerline+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=418ZLpKRboL&ref=plSrch
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    Donor/Admin wants you to play gorge and you want to play lerk? Banned.

I am pretty sure this has never happened.

But if you don't like the admins in the community servers the solution is .... pay for your own.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Donor/Admin wants you to play gorge and you want to play lerk? Banned.

I am pretty sure this has never happened.

But if you don't like the admins in the community servers the solution is .... pay for your own.

I haven't heard of this either but I can see the problem with kicking/banning donors who misbehave. This is one of the reasons I don't accept donations.