Floaters

MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
So there was me just travelling around in my Cyclops when I hit something, though I had no idea what. Then my Cyclops become uncontrollable and start to rise to the surface on its own. Nothing I could do would make the Cyclops descend. So I exited the sub and took a look. There clinging to the outside of my Cyclops were 5 pink ball type things. I had seen some of these before carry a small rock, or so it seemed. A quick check on the Game Guide showed me that these were floaters. These are real bad news to have attach themselves to your sub. I managed to remove 3 easy enough but the final two were quite high above the water line. I had to gradually, like 1 meter at a time, try to descend the Cyclops and then dash out to retrieve the floaters before the sub rose again. I managed to get the fourth one off, but the fifth was a right pain. I eventually managed to get the sub low enough to pick that final one off. What a pain they are!

Comments

• LeftyLikeLeftyLike Norway Join Date: 2015-04-19 Member: 203638Members
    This has not yet happend to me, but I've heard that they can be a bit annoying.

Can you use the propulsion cannon to get them off?
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I don't have a propulsion cannon >.<
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    I'm just wondering what uses they'll have in the future
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Usually hear of them being used to remove a boulder thats blocking a cave entrace, though it would be cool to see them used in other ways
    What I find ironic is that I just stuck 7 floaters on a small Boulder blocking a cave. The boulder shuddered a little but 7 floaters could not lift it. Yet 5 of them prevented my cyclops from submerging, keeping it afloat on the sea surface. How does that calculate? :smiley:
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    I'm just wondering what uses they'll have in the future

Imagine if your cyclops has taken damage and sunk to a depth it cannot be repaired. You could attach floaters so that it would ascend to a depth that it could be repaired.
  • NevercallmebynameNevercallmebyname Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207155Members
    I like that this happens though and wish there was a may to exploit it like a raft with a floater under each of it's corners or something like that.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I wanna tie a rope to em and pull em around like a balloon. :D
  • 7R1P0D7R1P0D Canada Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207170Members
    I like that this happens though and wish there was a may to exploit it like a raft with a floater under each of it's corners or something like that.

Wow this is actually a great tip
  • TartarinTartarin France Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202162Members
    maybe using floaters to make some stratosherical balloons ? or using as part for a ship or a flying devince ? ;)
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    What I find ironic is that I just stuck 7 floaters on a small Boulder blocking a cave. The boulder shuddered a little but 7 floaters could not lift it. Yet 5 of them prevented my cyclops from submerging, keeping it afloat on the sea surface. How does that calculate? :smiley:

A rock would be solid, leaving it negatively buoyant, causing it to sink. A submarine is meant to be able to go up or down depending on the amount of air or water in ballast chambers, making it in a state of something called "neutral buoyancy" whenever it's not going up or down. The fact that the sub has essentially the same density as the surrounding water means it would be quite easy to lift it, given that the lifting entity had enough strength.

I do like the idea of a floater raft though. Maybe an early-game vehicle, meant to be assembled hastily on the fabricator instead of needing a bunch of materials to make the constructor, then the craft itself. Maybe something simple, like four floaters and a piece of scrap metal or titanium. Would allow players to float on top of the water. Maybe the recipe could have a slight altered version with propulsion.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited August 2015
    The_Shark wrote: »
    I do like the idea of a floater raft though. Maybe an early-game vehicle, meant to be assembled hastily on the fabricator instead of needing a bunch of materials to make the constructor, then the craft itself. Maybe something simple, like four floaters and a piece of scrap metal or titanium. Would allow players to float on top of the water. Maybe the recipe could have a slight altered version with propulsion.

I like it.
    A little raft made from floaters for cruising.
    Would look like this with a little outboard motor.
    cheap-inflatable-raft-military-patrol-boat-for.png

Raft
    >4x Floaters
    >2x Silicone
    >1x Battery
    >1x Titanium

Floaters for buoyancy, Silicone for the body, Titanium for the motor, and Battery for power

Best part? It can be packed up and carried on the player, taking up the same amount of space as the Constructor. Then the player can deploy it like an Air Bladder and ride it up to the surface super fast, then cruise around.

ALSO, it'd be able to hook up to the Lifepod and pull it around to relocate your spawn point.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    LeftyLike wrote: »
    Can you use the propulsion cannon to get them off?
    Yes.

And instead of moving boulders with floaters i would dig away the sand under them.
  • NaaliNaali U.S. Join Date: 2015-08-23 Member: 207397Members
    Well that explains it. I thought I had screwed up the game somehow (wouldn't have surprised me) on my main file, because the Cyclops kept rising no matter how hard I tried to decend. I got irritated and reloaded my game, but now I'll try shooting those pink gasbags off my ship.
    Floaters for buoyancy, Silicone for the body, Titanium for the motor, and Battery for power

Best part? It can be packed up and carried on the player, taking up the same amount of space as the Constructor. Then the player can deploy it like an Air Bladder and ride it up to the surface super fast, then cruise around.

ALSO, it'd be able to hook up to the Lifepod and pull it around to relocate your spawn point.

Yes. All of my yes. And then some more yes.
    What I want to know is how the Floaters got underneath the floating islands.

Maybe they attached themselves to the top and pulled it out, then slowly, over thousands of years, shimmied down to the underside to suckle on the precious minerals
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    What I want to know is how the Floaters got underneath the floating islands.

Maybe they attached themselves to the top and pulled it out, then slowly, over thousands of years, shimmied down to the underside to suckle on the precious minerals

Or they grew underground, then eventually got big enough that they lifted the rock formation they were under.
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Or they grew underground, then eventually got big enough that they lifted the rock formation they were under.

Maybe that's where those little pink blobs come from...
    Maybe they are living creatures that can swim about. I sometimes see floaters on the surface, and other times they are on rocks on the sea bed. So they must be able to move about somehow.