guys i found a way to make us all happy.

tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
i just want to say if this is bad im sorry. i was a few dozen lines in and my fucking computer crashed and it didn't save. so im gonna summarize.

what if we had the standard games modes. but then you had a little check box saying
-classic
-hardcore/gritty/survivalism (insert a better name)

classic is subnautica as we know it, the fun, zen and relaxed exploration game we all love (and i love too, even though it might not seem like it)

(insert name ) could have all the crazy stuff we talk about that would "ruin the atmophere" of the game (which they would)

such as
-weapons
-decompression
-gore (maybe, and only mild, like bodys floating around the aroura you could loot instead of crates, i'll credit the thread when i edit this that i got that from)
-increased damage
-medkits heal over time or need to be used out of combat
-higher resource cost for craftables, maybe different recipes altogether
-more involved process for getting cooked food and large amounts of pure water
-base degradation, ship degradation
- cleaning windows to maintain sight (algae, barnacles)

-this could also allow for rust esk survival multiplayer but underwater.

i thought that maybe i could make peace with the guys myself and others have been arguing with, because we all love this game.

im not saying we need to sit around and sing kumbaya but this could open up a whole new venue of people to play the game. this could double the games playability (obviously this would be a grand undertaking by a dev team that already has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of awesome stuff on the go for us) and therefore more profits to make the game even better!

this isn't something i would suggest now, god no. i mean this for like, beta and maybe full release but not at the moment.

Comments

• tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    thank you to @tarek for giving me the inspiration to make this half baked idea at 2 AM

his thread

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/138406/corpses-and-body-parts#latest
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Not a bad idea. I just doubt itll be a thing that happens. Not even on full release. It would almost make Subnautica into 2 games thats how much work thatll be. Maybe it would be best to leave that whole thing to the hopefully very productive mod community SN will have oneday.
  • LeftyLikeLeftyLike Norway Join Date: 2015-04-19 Member: 203638Members
    Decompression sickness should definitely be a thing in Subnautica!
    And i agree on medkits healing over time.
  • Z-comZ-com canada Join Date: 2015-08-30 Member: 207583Members
    LeftyLike wrote: »
    Decompression sickness should definitely be a thing in Subnautica!
    And i agree on medkits healing over time.

It is real with console commands.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    I love this idea. Let the players choose to go with normal, calm, swimming-around mode, or the other mode with rail guns and stuff.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    With the new upcoming possibility of the Creator mode that allows to build without needing resources I suggest a simple refitting of the 3 modes we have now:

Freedom -> Creator Mode
    No resource management at all. No food, water, power or any other resource, not even health or oxygen to care about.
    The primary goal is to build and explore without any restrictions and not caring about the rest.
    This isn't the way the game should be played. It's more like the directors mode in GTA5.

Survival Mode (Standart Gameplay)
    Every resource gets managed. Air, food, water, health to be cared about, but with easy consumption and not with a challenge in mind. Advanced physics like decompression is not to be managed.
    Most players should play this and any game starts with this as a preset mode if not explicitely changed.

Hardcore Mode
    Includes advanced physics like decompression. Challenges the player with high survival needs and allows to be killed a single time only.
    The goal is the challenge of underwater survival.
    It's also the home of more blood and gore, effects taking time to work (eat, drink, heal) and degradation working on objects.