corpses and body parts

tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
yep a horrible subject but we should talk about it

I assume the aurora had hundreds of people on board but we see no corpses around which is strange

we should have floating corpses in the water (around the ship) and inside... smashed and broken corpses, burned corpses and body parts... also dont forget half eaten corpses (corpses being eaten by crabs and fish

it would add realism

Comments

• LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    It would not add realism. Theres no reason for any bodies to be outside, if they would have fallen out of the Aurora after the beam struck in space, they would have been completely turned to nothing at all when entering the atmosphere. Also the Aurora BEFORE it explodes does not seem to have any huge leaks, from which bodies could have left the ship. And for any bodies in the ship, well, those would have been pretty much totally evaporated by the explosion, cause that was basically a small atomic bomb and you know what happens to people in the center right? they turn to shadows on the wall. This would add absolutely nothing to the game and totally contradicts the whole atmosphere that has been set up until this very point.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    >Aurora Crashes
    >People immediately try to abandon ship before reactor explodes
    >They get eaten by the 3 Reaper Leviathans.
    >You wake up
    >AI says "No life signs detected!"
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I disagree with Lightdevil that it would not add realism, but I don't want to see them in game either and I think the devs (or at least Charlie) generally lean that way as well. I think Lightdevil's scenarios, as possible explanations, fit well enough in leaving that out. I do agree that it would alter the vibe and alternatively there is a distinct, creepy, eeriness to exploring the wreckage with absolutely no sign of the crew, as well. Aurora and Aurora wreckage exploration is going to be expanded in the future. Imagine exploring flooded hallways and rooms with floating corpses and body parts, no thanks... I've had my fill of that being done and over done in other survival/exploration games. Certainly they could be added given the circumstances, but I'd wish for the devs to focus more on the horror of what the explosion and leak should radically do to the surrounding environment and creatures. Where biome restoration or biome exploitation become paths the player can choose after the event.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    the reason i want this is because i want the player to feel loneliness and disrepair cause he will spend his life alone in the dark with no one to comfort him

or they can add survivors later on :P to populate the colony we will make :D
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    tarek wrote: »
    yep a horrible subject but we should talk about it

I assume the aurora had hundreds of people on board but we see no corpses around which is strange

we should have floating corpses in the water (around the ship) and inside... smashed and broken corpses, burned corpses and body parts... also dont forget half eaten corpses (corpses being eaten by crabs and fish

it would add realism

No. Just...no. There is a line between realism and shock value and this would cross the line. Not to mention ruin the tone of the game, which while survival is nowhere near the grim dark that this would invoke. It isn't necessary as it won't really add anything, isn't appropriate, and frankly isn't wanted. As for why there might be no bodies, they get vaporized in the dark matter explosion. Problem solved.
    the reason i want this is because i want the player to feel loneliness and disrepair cause he will spend his life alone in the dark with no one to comfort him

or they can add survivors later on :P to populate the colony we will make :D

...No. Again it won't add anything to the game and isn't fitting with the tone. Also I would recommend seeking help, as this comes across as a little disturbing. But I would be willing to accept the possibility you have never actually recovered or seen a body that has been exposed to water decomposition and you base this off 'Hollywood bodies'.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think I actually saw a bit about this on the trello several months ago...
    actually seen worst since i lived through 6 wars already :P

I want the game to have an emotional impact on the player to drive him to look for the reason why the ship went down also give him motive to colonize and explore so that the sacrifices were not in vain and ALSO look for survivors maybe in future updates when the map is gigantic
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I want the game to have an emotional impact on the player

You realize that this is a fun wacky alien sea-world adventure game, right? Not an edgy gritty grimdark R-rated movie game.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    I actully agree with tarek
  • AmanchamAmancham GER Join Date: 2015-07-01 Member: 205922Members
    I'm not bothered by the lack of bodies. Yes, I did wonder briefly what happened to the rest of the crew, but honestly, that thought was quickly gone, just because of the atmosphere and the beauty of the game. Besides, there are kids playing subnautica, too. Adding a bunch of decomposing corpses and ripped to pieces dead crew will make this game strictly adult audience and it would be a shame, the game is very beautiful and so far kinda violence-free except for some occasional fights with predator fish, this would be completely different from the current setting and a change so drastically might ruin the game for many of the current players. Alhtough I understand where you are coming from, tarek, personally I'd prefer if it stayed the way it is now.

just my thoughts on the subject.

Maybe this could be added in a nightmare mode with more violent creatures and harder conditions, though. ^^ As long as I can keep my kiddie-mode :wink:
    edited August 2015
    >People honestly thinking that the Reaper Leviathans would leave bits of people left floating around and not hork down their carrion like the fat fishy pig nightmare abominations that they are

Just saying, there's a very simple explanation.

Unless you mean to tell me you wanna swim through clouds of meaty Reaper fart
    lol

no the game feels lonely and even some corpses even half eaten would make the loneliness bearable :<
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    edited August 2015
    I uhmm. What?

That's one of the creepiest or saddest things I've read in a while.
    :D

im trying to make them add survivors :P so i thought i can come off as insane and depressed
    Fair enough. My initial reading of that comment probably painted a different picture than you'd meant to imply. :smile:

Me personally, I'd rather there not be any survivors or evidence of same. Rather maybe have it be on open question just how intelligent some of the sealife around you might be.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    skipping to the end of this with the simple answer "quantum flux detonations" cause complete vaporization of biological material, which is why the area around the aurora is baron sand.
    >People honestly thinking that the Reaper Leviathans would leave bits of people left floating around and not hork down their carrion like the fat fishy pig nightmare abominations that they are

Just saying, there's a very simple explanation.

Unless you mean to tell me you wanna swim through clouds of meaty Reaper fart

but its so sad ur the only guy alive... hundreds of light years from any other person surrounded by sea monsters and dark abysses
  • Sir_ToffingtonSir_Toffington Join Date: 2015-08-11 Member: 207015Members
    edited August 2015
    Couldn't you achieve a similar atmosphere by having harrowing records or logs of the last moments of the Aurora scattered around the ruins of the ship, perhaps even some written by survivors who were trying to contain the reactor and look after the injured on the ship after the crash, who of course presumably died when the reactor explodes. Although I suppose that doesn't fit with the opening "No life-signs detected" thing

It would also give the player that kind of false hope that there might be someone else out there, without the need to resort to having decomposing bodies floating in the water.
    edited August 2015
    Couldn't you achieve a similar atmosphere by having harrowing records or logs of the last moments of the Aurora scattered around the ruins of the ship, perhaps even some written by survivors who were trying to contain the reactor and look after the injured on the ship after the crash, who of course presumably died when the reactor explodes. Although I suppose that doesn't fit with the opening "No life-signs detected" thing

It would also give the player that kind of false hope that there might be someone else out there, without the need to resort to having decomposing bodies floating in the water.

Ooh. Now there's an idea. Maybe a few crashed and crushed lifepods littered around the map in addition, especially if one or more have teeth marks or look like they've been ripped open by something. Maybe occasionally the AI spouts off a "faint signal detected" message. Additional lifepods launched would require a change to the opening narration, for sure.

Of course, I wonder if the point of the single survivor of a colony ship isn't to engender a sense of loneliness and despair in the player, but to just put them in a situation where they have to try to survive, explore, and learn in an alien ocean environment.
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2015

Now that is a really interesting "tutorial" idea. You'd have to change the opening dialogue a bit, but have other empty lifepods scattered around the area with audio logs that give hints and tips on early exploration and basic game mechanics. Maybe you were unconscious for the first day but they were out trying to survive and kept recording of their trial and errors. Errors that in the end meant their disappearance, which is left up to the player's imagination as to what happened.
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
  • AmanchamAmancham GER Join Date: 2015-07-01 Member: 205922Members
    En9a9e wrote: »

Now that is a really interesting "tutorial" idea. You'd have to change the opening dialogue a bit, but have other empty lifepods scattered around the area with audio logs that give hints and tips on early exploration and basic game mechanics. Maybe you were unconscious for the first day but they were out trying to survive and kept recording of their trial and errors. Errors that in the end meant their disappearance, which is left up to the player's imagination as to what happened.

Uh, I like the tutorial idea. A tutorial would make sense anyway, in my opinion. New players might feel a little overwhelmed and it's no fun if you have to alt-tab out to consult the forum because you don't know what to do or how to start.
  • Sir_ToffingtonSir_Toffington Join Date: 2015-08-11 Member: 207015Members

That's an even better idea, give it a game play mechanic purpose, it would be nice to have an actually immersive tutorial like that which could also give potential glimpses into the background of the subnautica world
    Ooh. Now there's an idea. Maybe a few crashed and crushed lifepods littered around the map in addition, especially if one or more have teeth marks or look like they've been ripped open by something. Maybe occasionally the AI spouts off a "faint signal detected" message. Additional lifepods launched would require a change to the opening narration, for sure.

Of course, I wonder if the point of the single survivor of a colony ship isn't to engender a sense of loneliness and despair in the player, but to just put them in a situation where they have to try to survive, explore, and learn in an alien ocean environment.

that is also true, it still might not be fitting with the themes of the game in the way I proposed it, and I love the game the way it is at the moment.
  • HovenHoven Germany Join Date: 2015-08-10 Member: 206983Members
    I think some more leftovers of the crew would give the game a better atmosphere. There don't have to be bloody corpses but maybe some left behind helmets or space-/swimming suits.
    From the far they may seem as some kind of dead crewmember but when you get closer it is just an empty suite with an attached helmet.
    I refuse to believe that your the only guy that reached an escape pod

in a STARSHIP full of highly trained professionals that are trained to evacuate the ship in case of emergency
  • Error_MackroError_Mackro N Join Date: 2015-07-30 Member: 206541Members
    edited August 2015
    The devs are resistant to lethal weapons and excessive violence. Masses of decomposing corpses in the water is another realm of unlikely.
  • ZixinusZixinus Hungary Join Date: 2015-07-22 Member: 206338Members
    The problem is that the quantum flux detonation doesn't explain why aren't there dead bodies. When we can enter the Aurora, everything is broken but not melted. Something that would vaporize bodies should melt metal.

If there were any survivors they'd probably turned to mush on landing due to the g-forces, it's a miracle the Aurora landed in one piece. It would explain why there are zero lifesigns detected.

I think that the pseudo-crabs (or perhaps some other critter could be added later?) might be a better explanation for the lack of bodies. They sneaked trough the cracks and ate all the bodies, shredding them. All the other bits got washed out into the water and thus ate by scavengers. Let's just hope that no pathogen hostile to the local biosphere survived.
    Oh no the Reaper Leviathans got the Common Cold!
    quick, we need 8 gallons of Campbells' Chicken Noodle Soup, 2 gallons of of Dayquil, and 6 gallons of Sprite.
  • PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    Have them, but don't make them too realistic. Maybe they could have Items in their dead bodies that you could search through, like The Long Dark. They could have knives or health kits.