Thoughts regarding use of pulse grenades (or lack of)

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited August 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
Good afternoon ladies and gentle gorges,

Today I would like to discuss the use or lack of use of pulse grenades!

In the whole 1600 hours of NS2 playtime, I feel they haven't been to their full potential! One primary concern of mine is that the damage that is inflicted upon yourself is enough to put anyone off! The effective use of these electro puppies are highly effective in deterring bilebomb rushes, insta damage against a group of skulks or slowing an onoses gore down, you can even zap a fades ability to blink away!

http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Hand_Grenades

I never understood how a electromagnetic pulse device manages to damage a marine so much and yet still able to use his credit card to purchase a round at The Onos Bar?

What are your thoughts? Discuss!

Comments

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    In my opinion grenades don't work very well when they have to be bought from the armoury.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seb wrote: »
    In my opinion grenades don't work very well when they have to be bought from the armoury.

Would you rather marines spawned with them instead?
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I use them all the time. They're my preferred grenade if not doing a hive rush, since they do really good burst damage (if lucky, can surprise a lerk and instagib if they're low-ish) and slow down alien attacks so it's easier to survive. They're also really good deterrents, even moreso than gas grenades.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2015
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    I never understood how a electromagnetic pulse device manages to damage a marine so much and yet still able to use his credit card to purchase a round at The Onos Bar?

What are your thoughts? Discuss!

It's simple... They run a tab :D
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I rarely use grenades. I see their design as flawed.
    Yes they have their uses, but many of these uses are situational. Meaning more times then not, you die with nades on you. (or you spam them away uselessly.)
    Sometimes like mines can be placed strategic and is less a waste of res.

I am still for spawning with a grenade, but I can see the worry of people 'spamming' the map with them.
    Perhaps a simpler solution would be that you do not drop the nade. But you keep it through respawns UNTIL its been used.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    I think they are used less because you can't recycle them if you die. 3 res adds up over time and people may not want to risk throwing away res like that.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Buy grenades 1 at a time for 1pres at atime.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2015
    There was a point where they used to instagib skulks. I don't know if this is still the case - but as fun as that is, and as frustrating it is as a skulk to be instagibbed like that. It's actually still not worth the investment imo.

2 skulk frags for 3 pres? Better to just use the lmg - it's free.

So unless you are in a situation where you can make use of the splash damage, it feels like a waste. And as @DC_Darkling puts it:
    more times then not, you die with nades on you. (or you spam them away uselessly.)

Having nades be droppables, is a start I guess. That way you can be more selective about when to spend your nades. But why would I spend pres in a pub, so some other dirtbag can pick up and waste my nades?
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I'm not sure how effective they really are, but I've had fun using them when available. I like them for chasing off fades, it's funny when a full-health fade charges you, gets smacked in the face with a pulse and then IMMEDIATELY nopes out of there. I've also managed to save an exo from two attacking onos, pretty sure it embarassed one of them so much he F4ed before actually dying. Also for finishing off skulks because I can't hit SHIT with a pistol, but no one is dodging a pulse aimed straight down.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Problem with dropping nades upon death, is that by the time you or anyone can collect them, they are already poof, gone.
    This works with other gear as that gear is actually more useful than in rare situations.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I want grenades to take longer until they explode (maybe add ability to cook them in your hand). I like the idea of bouncing the greandes around 1 or 2 corners to kill a resbiting skulk
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited August 2015
    I think the Pulse Grenade could be more powerful against higher lifeforms.

It currently isn't very effective against Lerks and Fades, because of their attack patterns emphasize more on evasiveness rather than raw damage; Pulse barely scratches the Onos, and primary weapons do a better job at deterring/killing Onii.
    Against ankle biting Skulks, marines tend to hurt themselves more with their Pulse Grenades, thanks to the large auto-detonation radius which ironically protects aliens from receiving full damage from the grenade, while the grenade user often takes full self-damage. I would suggest significantly reducing, or removing the damage Pulse Grenade deals to its owner.

Speeding up hand grenade arming animations would improve their usability, and definitely see them get used more often.

It screws with a fade's rhythm more than anything. It's not that it directly weakens them all that much it's just that most fades can't cope with it because they just don't know how. Safer to run and wait it out.

Of course if they were used more often, they probably wouldn't be as effective.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2015
    Making them easier to throw (right click) would make grenades more user friendly. IMO the speed of arming/throwing wouldn't need to be increased, since that time would be saved from switching weapons

I'm all for spawning with a single standard frag grenade once researched. (a single grenade per marine, per life wont cause serious spam; anyone who claims a marine will suicide to keep spamming isn't considering spawn and travel times)

Either dropping grenades on death, or spawing back in with them will encourage their purchase more. Currently, the risk of wasting the res on them is much higher than the use the average person will get out of them (only ever had 1 great play with grenades)

For pulse nades specifically, I think they are fine as is personally, slowing down attack speed is amazingly useful.

I think there are a few simple changes that can be made to make grenades more useful.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

It currently isn't very effective against Lerks and Fades, because of their attack patterns emphasize more on evasiveness rather than raw damage; Pulse barely scratches the Onos, and primary weapons do a better job at deterring/killing Onii.
    Against ankle biting Skulks, marines tend to hurt themselves more with their Pulse Grenades, thanks to the large auto-detonation radius which ironically protects aliens from receiving full damage from the grenade, while the grenade user often takes full self-damage. I would suggest significantly reducing, or removing the damage Pulse Grenade deals to its owner.

Speeding up hand grenade arming animations would improve their usability, and definitely see them get used more often.

If anything was to be taken away from this thread it would be this, self damage from a "pulse" grenade is alittle too much imho!
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sotanaht wrote: »
    It screws with a fade's rhythm more than anything. It's not that it directly weakens them all that much it's just that most fades can't cope with it because they just don't know how.

This is not my experience with it. I see people hitting every swipe regardless. Sure you die slower, but I find that I don't even get half-way through my lmg clip before I'm dead, whereas if I just use my lmg without a grenade, I can deal enough damage to actually push the fade away the majority of the time.
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    sotanaht wrote: »
    It screws with a fade's rhythm more than anything. It's not that it directly weakens them all that much it's just that most fades can't cope with it because they just don't know how.

This is not my experience with it. I see people hitting every swipe regardless. Sure you die slower, but I find that I don't even get half-way through my lmg clip before I'm dead, whereas if I just use my lmg without a grenade, I can deal enough damage to actually push the fade away the majority of the time.

Grenades aren't very good for soloing in the first place...especially LMG v fade. However, they are fantastic in a group push where you have harassment from aliens.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    I think the point about situational is a good one. Whenever you go to buy a nade you have to think about what you might be facing in the next min or two, but invariably this changes the moment you leave the armory. Like choosing gas to hit a hive, but then encounter fades and lerks at the gate, and suddenly wishing you had a pulse instead. So you end up feebly throwing what you have but wishing you had bought another grenade. You get buyers remorse.

Sometimes you get it right, too, and have the right nade for the right time, but the above combined with the other factors covered here like cost and having them disappear on death is one more nail in the coffin of dissuading spending res on nades, or a particular nade type (as Jimbo noted, pulses seem rare on pubs).

One possible solution, under the 'Coz nanites' banner: what if you bought a 'Grenade Nanite Pack' at the armory, and the type of grenade it becomes is chosen upon use -- you 'prime' it to be an explosive, gas, or pulse grenade as you pull it out, and once primed stays that way. This gives you flexibility to the situation and makes spending the p-res on a pack more appealing.

• LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2015

Do we want something so cheap to scale into late game?
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Martigen wrote: »
    I think the point about situational is a good one. Whenever you go to buy a nade you have to think about what you might be facing in the next min or two, but invariably this changes the moment you leave the armory. Like choosing gas to hit a hive, but then encounter fades and lerks at the gate, and suddenly wishing you had a pulse instead. So you end up feebly throwing what you have but wishing you had bought another grenade. You get buyers remorse.

Sometimes you get it right, too, and have the right nade for the right time, but the above combined with the other factors covered here like cost and having them disappear on death is one more nail in the coffin of dissuading spending res on nades, or a particular nade type (as Jimbo noted, pulses seem rare on pubs).

One possible solution, under the 'Coz nanites' banner: what if you bought a 'Grenade Nanite Pack' at the armory, and the type of grenade it becomes is chosen upon use -- you 'prime' it to be an explosive, gas, or pulse grenade as you pull it out, and once primed stays that way. This gives you flexibility to the situation and makes spending the p-res on a pack more appealing.

i like martigen's idea, flexibility of usage would see it get a lot more play from me at least.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Grenades simply aren't implemented that well in NS2 and need a rework. They worked great in NS1 where after research you spawned with 2 explosive grenades great for clearing RTs and vents. I'd start with that successful formula and move on from there:
    - All grenades are free after comm research unlocks them at the armory. You don't purchase them at the armory anymore, you will just spawn with them.
    - Players will spawn with 1 grenade (or 2, depending on balance numbers)
    - You can switch your grenade preference at the armory for next spawn, or replace a current grenade(s) in your inventory with the desired type.
    - Grenade preference is saved till map change, default is cluster grenade.
    - Make throwing seamless by switching to the grenade, then after the player throws it, automatically switch back to previous weapon.
    - Tweak damage numbers to accommodate new design. Maybe have them match the weapon upgrade levels so they're fairly weak at game start.

They shouldn't kill a full HP skulk biting an RT, just enough to do some damage to flush them out. Grenades were fun to use in NS1, and there was a little mini-game with flushing skulks out from behind RTs and vents. You would hear the 'pin' drop as skulk and you could choose to escape or rush the marine while he didn't have his gun up.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I'd prefer a method to select them on screen during respawn, as hiding it in the armory is an inappropriate place for a setting or preference and most rookies will just be oblivious to it
    Other than that, +1
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    edited August 2015
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Grenades simply aren't implemented that well in NS2 and need a rework. They worked great in NS1 where after research you spawned with 2 explosive grenades great for clearing RTs and vents. I'd start with that successful formula and move on from there:
    - All grenades are free after comm research unlocks them at the armory. You don't purchase them at the armory anymore, you will just spawn with them.
    - Players will spawn with 1 grenade (or 2, depending on balance numbers)
    - You can switch your grenade preference at the armory for next spawn, or replace a current grenade(s) in your inventory with the desired type.
    - Grenade preference is saved till map change, default is cluster grenade.
    - Make throwing seamless by switching to the grenade, then after the player throws it, automatically switch back to previous weapon.
    - Tweak damage numbers to accommodate new design. Maybe have them match the weapon upgrade levels so they're fairly weak at game start.

They shouldn't kill a full HP skulk biting an RT, just enough to do some damage to flush them out. Grenades were fun to use in NS1, and there was a little mini-game with flushing skulks out from behind RTs and vents. You would hear the 'pin' drop as skulk and you could choose to escape or rush the marine while he didn't have his gun up.
    *pines for electricity, that was fun*

I like this idea too. Mostly, actually. At the moment clusters are great for doing decent AOE damage, and it's fair this costs p-res. It's also logical to reduce its damage if it's going to be a freebie every spawn, but then now we lose the main explosive damage dealer for marines that isn't a GL.

At the risk of further complicating the game, we could keep the current system and grenades as they are and add one more that you get at spawn -- a flash grenade. You only get 1 per spawn, it does no damage but will blind aliens briefly. If you're a skulk biting a node and you get blinded, you're going to try and high tail it out of there asap because you're at disadvantage now as the marine approaches. One problem with this though is the amount of flash spam since everyone is going to spawn with it... but there it is.

Unless, instead of flash, it was a grenade that created a sonic wave that 'pushes' nearby lifeforms. Like an explosive force without the damage. Closer to the source, the more you're blown back. And the larger the lifeform, the less effect it has, until at Onos it does nothing. This would make it good vs skulks and gorges, and not as useful late game, which is precisely what you want, as marines would need to invest p-res for more powerful grenades rather than relying on a freebie.

IronHorse wrote: »
    I'd prefer a method to select them on screen during respawn, as hiding it in the armory is an inappropriate place for a setting or preference and most rookies will just be oblivious to it
    Other than that, +1

Only problem with this that it breaks consistency of where a marine manages his weapons. If we had other elements to add to such an interface, it'd make more sense.

I think we'd really have to examine whether auto-spawning with grenades is a good idea. The additional bunker-busting power of a full team of marines with a nade per life is something that would really have to be balanced (maybe by raising alien structure hp or gorge heal rate on structures). As it is, early game aliens have a hard enough time defending, if the marines could drop an armory at the beginning of the game, walk into the hive and instantly egg-lock the alien team that wouldn't be good.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Wheeee I'd be more concerned if the nades were more viable in typical use... but they aren't.. it's pretty rare that they are effective against non fortified and static gorges because, well, aliens are always wallrunning / leaping / flying / blinking / charging everywhere.. trying to catch one of those with a hand tossed nade (sacrificing your shooting potential in that moment) just isn't a likely scenario.

MY only concern with an implementation like this is the increase in spam.. each of those have spammy effects and lord just knows if you have 1 automatically on spawn they will be used to siege a room in a spammy way.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    one grenade per life would hardly cause spam.....

it takes more than one grenade launcher before things really start feeling spammy.

on a team of 12 marines, if they all threw their one free grenade in a room at one time, there would be a chain of explosions and then...no more until a marine dies, respawns, and gets back to the area. In this time, a single GL can get AT LEAST 12 grenades out.

Granted, if these hand grenades caused the same ammount of structure damage as a GL nade, marines could almost instagib anything with a coordinated volley. Easily solved by having the free hand nades not do as much dmg as nades that cost res

a single free hand grenade cannot cause spam on the scale implied to be a problem.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    How about just add the ns1 style grenades and then an upgrade tp advanced grenades for more res and then you can upgrade your grenade for 1pres at armory. And have a two grenade comm upgrade if we must
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2015
    Benson wrote: »
    one grenade per life would hardly cause spam.....
    It adds to turtle though. Also the incentive to use might go from "situational use" to "use in every situation". Like opener to any fight, smoke a skulk out of vent, skulk biting rt, breaking that gorge fortress, etc. This might imply a huge indirect balance change.
    People will get rid of their grenades without second thought.