here is all the arguments you need for having lethal weaponry in subnautica.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited August 2015
    non-lethal weaponry should kind of be the modality here.
    Nonlethal energy based weapons WOULD be the modality.
    Simply because you can recharge them for incredibly cheap.
    If you shoot a spear at a thing, you're down one spear, and you can only carry a limited number.

Let's do a little math here.
    We have 48 Inventory slots.
    Let's say our hypothetical speargun takes up 4 of those slots, like the Stasis Rifle.
    We're down to 44 slots for spears.
    Now let's say that spears for the speargun would take up two vertical slots, since the spears are kinda long
    2 slots per spear, we're able to carry 22 spears max
    Now say you want 2 tanks. That's 8 spaces. 18 spears max
    You need a knife, flashlight, and some flares for exploring.
    16 spears max.
    You want to pick up some quartz, titanium, scrap metal, fish, etc.
    10 spears max.
    You want to ride around on a Seaglide
    6 spears max.

Are you gonna murder the entire ocean with 6 spears dude?

And even then, critters like the Sand and Bone sharks are covered in armor, so one spear isn't likely to kill them, so it takes multiple spears, implying the pain from one spear won't make them go "Oh crap this guy is serious he can back this up with fisticuffs" and flee. Of course it could work the opposite way, and anger some creatures, causing them to attack more viciously, in which case you better hope you have more spears m8.

So compare that to using a Stasis Rifle.
    1 battery = 100 normal shots/20 fully charged shots. Target creature is stunned for a few seconds, allowing the player to escape.
    1 spear = 1 shot. Target creature is removed from the game, flees, or attacks the player.

Spear takes 2x titanium to make one.
    Think you can find enough to make enough to kill everything while also playing the rest of the game?

This nightmare scenario of "OMG GIVE THE PLAYER A WEAPON THEY WOULD MURDER EVERYTHING!!!" is simply impractical.

• ZixinusZixinus Hungary Join Date: 2015-07-22 Member: 206338Members
    This nightmare scenario of "OMG GIVE THE PLAYER A WEAPON THEY WOULD MURDER EVERYTHING!!!" is simply impractical.

And who is arguing that here? You are attacking a straw-man, you are trying to argue (with an argument to which you fit your assumptions no less) against an argument nobody made.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    BACK :D

hmmm well even in startrek they have photons and phasers .. not all alien life are nice
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Zixinus wrote: »

And who is arguing that here? You are attacking a straw-man, you are trying to argue (with an argument to which you fit your assumptions no less) against an argument nobody made.
    That argument is made literally every time anything more dangerous than a knife is suggested.
    "THE GAME ISN'T ABOUT KILLING IT WOULD BE TOO EASY IF YOU COULD JUST GO OUT AND MURDER EVERYTHING WHENEVER YOU WANTED AND NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PREDATORS AGAIN BECAUSE YOU WOULD HAVE UNLIMITED BULLETS OR SPEARS OR WHATEVER IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU GET A WEAPON YOU WILL KILL EVERYTHING INSTANTLY BECAUSE NO ONE ACTUALLY WANTS TO PLAY THE REST OF THE GAME"

It gets tiresome hearing the same thing over and over and over as though we don't know how stupid of an argument it is.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    1. There you created a scenario in which lethal weaponry would be needed. This scenario doesn't exist so far, so no lethal weapons needed.
    2. So it is a survival game... where exactly does "survival" connect to your point? I find survival games that require you to kill everything that threatens you very tiring.
    3. Gordon was faced with hostile alien invading earth and he was pitted against them in a kill or be killed manner. In subnautica basically you are the invader of a planet with rather primitve lifeforms. Sure some are aggressive towards you but as would be any carnivore predator on earth. You are not as limited in your actions that you'd have to kill everything in sight, like gordon had to.

1. Here's an idea, try killing 3 Reaper Leviathans with a Stasis Gun and a Knife. You can't, it takes about 300-400 strikes from a knife to kill one and the Stasis Gun won't last that long just like the Knife. When we go to the Aurora we need a way to fight off the nearly unkillable spawn of Satan's fishbowl. Yes this has been tested but it is extremely impractical, you'd have to be armed to the teeth in Diamond Blades and Batteries when it would be easier to have a single 2x2 slot gun that can wield much more efficient results in both making it, long term reusability, and saves space.
    2. You don't have to kill everything that threatens you. I rarely have to fight stalkers since the Stasis Rifle works perfectly on them, Bleeders, Crashes, and even Bone Sharks to an extent. However, I don't want to be mining Silver and Gold in the Grassy Plateaus and keep looking over my shoulder to see if Bone or Sand Sharks are coming to attack me. I want to be able to mine, hear their cry from far enough away to get ready, and when they attack I can take them out or wound them enough where they run away. The same goes for the Reapers, if I'm going to the Aurora and I come across Supply Crates I don't want to fear these monsters while I'm searching them.
    3. Okay, so we're the invaders. Remind me why that is when an energy pulse from the planet crashes our ship and leaves us stranded with no way off of the world. An energy pulse that is most likely from a highly intelligent species on the planet. When you're stuck on a deserted island surrounded by sharks and other giant killer creatures, with only a knife as your method of defense, then you can tell me how you'll survive.

As for people saying "We can't kill them because we have to study them", there's this wonderful item called the Specimen Analyzer, you use it to study eggs you find in the world whether they end up being Stalker Eggs, Reaper Eggs, Peeper Eggs, etc. We can still study their DNA without getting killed while doing it. If you want an excuse to get closer then ask the developers to give us some way to record their movements and appearance to add to the research.

I don't want 20 different kinds of offensive weaponry in the game, just a couple things to make sure we aren't killed by Reapers and other deadly beasts. If anybody wants to bring an argument to me about this then fine, give me your worst. Just expect the same to be returned to you.
    well i kill fish by ramming my sub into them also i use the stasis rifle to freeze sharks and crabs and murder them with my laser knife :P

I was trying to mod a mini nuke bomb like the one that goes off when the aurora explodes and I think I will make it work soon ....

sorry reapers but their is a new predator in town and its time you go extinct :D
  • ZixinusZixinus Hungary Join Date: 2015-07-22 Member: 206338Members
    edited August 2015
    "THE GAME ISN'T ABOUT KILLING IT WOULD BE TOO EASY IF YOU COULD JUST GO OUT AND MURDER EVERYTHING WHENEVER YOU WANTED AND NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PREDATORS AGAIN BECAUSE YOU WOULD HAVE UNLIMITED BULLETS OR SPEARS OR WHATEVER IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU GET A WEAPON YOU WILL KILL EVERYTHING INSTANTLY BECAUSE NO ONE ACTUALLY WANTS TO PLAY THE REST OF THE GAME"

And again, you are making a strawman. Perhaps you should think about making a new argument for your position rather than desperately trying to present anyone against your position as your strawman.
    It gets tiresome hearing the same thing over and over and over as though we don't know how stupid of an argument it is.

It gets tiresome of you not recognizing what the game is about and that the argument is pointless because the developers have voiced their decision. There will be no more lethal weapons in the game, regardless of what you think or what we think.
    1. Here's an idea, try killing 3 Reaper Leviathans with a Stasis Gun and a Knife.

Why and Earth would you even need to do that? Just go away from it and watch out for it to keep your distance. Aside the Aurora, they only spawn in one biome and that one is a wide one where you can usually see them from a distance. You can fairly regularly avoid them there.
    When we go to the Aurora we need a way to fight off the nearly unkillable spawn of Satan's fishbowl.

One word: Cyclops.

Elaboration: they cannot hurt you in the Cyclops.
    2. You don't have to kill everything that threatens you. I rarely have to fight stalkers since the Stasis Rifle works perfectly on them, Bleeders, Crashes, and even Bone Sharks to an extent. However, I don't want to be mining Silver and Gold in the Grassy Plateaus and keep looking over my shoulder to see if Bone or Sand Sharks are coming to attack me

Go into the Seamoth or Cyclops where they can't hurt you. This is not even to mention the Repulsion cannon which gets rid of most shark-like predators long enough to finish your gathering.
    3. Okay, so we're the invaders. Remind me why that is when an energy pulse from the planet crashes our ship and leaves us stranded with no way off of the world. An energy pulse that is most likely from a highly intelligent species on the planet. When you're stuck on a deserted island surrounded by sharks and other giant killer creatures, with only a knife as your method of defense, then you can tell me how you'll survive.

This would be a good argument if there were sentient aliens present with guns. There are none so far and it isn't even clear whether there ever will be sentient creatures in the game.

Other than that, there is no evidence that the energy pulse was artificial in origin. Even then, explain to me why a ship tasked with terraforming planets would have weapons.
    I don't want 20 different kinds of offensive weaponry in the game, just a couple things to make sure we aren't killed by Reapers and other deadly beasts.

I have been around Reapers and several times to the Aurora without getting killed. I avoided the problem of Reapers and every other predator by building submarines in which they can't hurt you (or even a Seaglide to run away with). I then play with carefully looking around everywhere I go and use submarines. I only exit a submarine when I'm reasonably safe and go back to the submarine if I feel threatened.

There is already a solution to your problem in the game, even in the beta. The repulsion cannon is fairly effective against most shark-like predators while you gather stuff from the seafloor. The only thing I'd argue you would regularly need to kill are the blood-suckers.

The thing is that dangerous predators are meant to be obstacles in terms of balancing, obstacles you get around by building submarines and exploring the tech tree. Balancing is one of the most trickiest parts of the game. They are also integral part of the game's theme, you are not on the top of the food chain.

Why should the developers add more items that potentially upsets that balance?

And again, you are making a strawman.
    It's not a strawman if that's literally your argument over and over again.
    And here you go telling me how I'm going to play again.
    Nobody is going to play the way you insist that they are just so your argument will work.
    I don't care how much smarter than everyone else you think you are, you're verifiably wrong.
    It gets tiresome of you not recognizing what the game is about and that the argument is pointless because the developers have voiced their decision. There will be no more lethal weapons in the game, regardless of what you think or what we think.
    Ok then what's the point of the suggestions forum if the developers are never going to consider the input of players?
    Why bother arguing and trying to shut down ideas if you know the devs will never implement this?
    One word: Cyclops.

Elaboration: they cannot hurt you in the Cyclops.
    You honestly think that the Cyclops will be invincible forever lmao
    Go into the Seamoth or Cyclops where they can't hurt you. This is not even to mention the Repulsion cannon which gets rid of most shark-like predators long enough to finish your gathering.
    And I guess if you don't have a seamoth or cyclops nearby you're SOL then, right?
    Other than that, there is no evidence that the energy pulse was artificial in origin. Even then, explain to me why a ship tasked with terraforming planets would have weapons.
    Because it would be mind numbingly stupid to go to a planet with confirmed alien life without a way to kill it should it become a threat to the terraforming mission.
    This isn't some hippy dippy nonprofit greenpeace mission going there just to document wildlife and turn it into a nature preserve. We're here to create a new home for the rest of humanity. Sorry if I think a bone shark isn't worth risking that mission.
    I have been around Reapers and several times to the Aurora without getting killed. I avoided the problem of Reapers and every other predator by building submarines in which they can't hurt you (or even a Seaglide to run away with). I then play with carefully looking around everywhere I go and use submarines. I only exit a submarine when I'm reasonably safe and go back to the submarine if I feel threatened.
    So you like to cower and flee. And again you think your submarine will be invincible forever. Reapers will be able to damage and even destroy the cyclops soon. So I'd like to come back to this when your Cyclops is destroyed.
    There is already a solution to your problem in the game, even in the beta. The repulsion cannon is fairly effective against most shark-like predators while you gather stuff from the seafloor. The only thing I'd argue you would regularly need to kill are the blood-suckers.
    I forgot that survival/exploration videogames had to be limited to exactly 1 semi-effective solution and no other suggestions for solutions were allowed.
    The thing is that dangerous predators are meant to be obstacles in terms of balancing, obstacles you get around by building submarines and exploring the tech tree. Balancing is one of the most trickiest parts of the game. They are also integral part of the game's theme, you are not on the top of the food chain.
    Balance only matters in multiplayer games. For Survival/Exploration games, it's giving the player enough different ways to do things so they don't get bored playing the exact same way every time.
    Because the players ask for them?
    Have you never been on a suggestion forum before?
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    while i know you guys are duking it out i have some things to mention.

the prometheus, the nostromo, the uss enterprise, USG kellion, USG ishimura, UNSC Forward Unto Dawn.

what do these ships have in common?

all of them are on non-combat missions, yet all of them have weapons.

it just makes sense to be armed. allways. why? because shit happens. SHIT ALWAYS HAPPENS.

• Storesund98Storesund98 USA Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205963Members
    The developers have made themselves clear; they will not add lethal weapons to the game, so this entire argument is pointless, what we should be talking about is different solutions to the predator problem, such as a way to calm them down with sonar waves.
    The developers have made themselves clear; they will not add lethal weapons to the game, so this entire argument is pointless, what we should be talking about is different solutions to the predator problem, such as a way to calm them down with sonar waves.
    The Developers of Space Engineers made it clear early on that they would not be adding planets.
    Now there's an update every week telling us that planets are "coming soon".
    Hell those Devs made a completely separate game just so they could work on how planet physics would work for Space Engineers.

Nothing is set in stone, m8.

If you think the argument is pointless, then don't bother replying to people talking about different concepts you don't agree with.
  • Error_MackroError_Mackro N Join Date: 2015-07-30 Member: 206541Members
    edited August 2015
    I just don't want this game to be a resource grind primarily, it needs some stuff to break up the monotony of picking metal up off the floor. I wrote a long paragraph about it but meh it's still alpha so it's kind of unwarranted but I hope they add stuff in the future that pushes the player away from resource grinding and actually interacting more with the world/creatures(whether that be combat or something else I don't really care), and less static hazards so your base is more than just a resource dump and the world feels more active. Right now it feels very resources>to get more>to get more.

r u daft ?? what do you call the heated blade and the gravity gun?

I just don't want this game to be a resource grind primarily, it needs some stuff to break up the monotony of picking metal up off the floor. I wrote a long paragraph about it but meh it's still alpha so it's kind of unwarranted but I hope they add stuff in the future that pushes the player away from resource grinding and actually interacting more with the world/creatures(whether that be combat or something else I don't really care), and less static hazards so your base is more than just a resource dump and the world feels more active.

+ 1000
  • bloodransombloodransom United States Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206616Members
    People have made the argument for having a spear gun, some sort of lethal phaser or something. Again, the primary argument I have against things like this is primarily that the tech exists in such a manner that makes lethal measures almost obsolete. Eventually, the devs will probably allow you to make camouflage and scent masking devices designed to keep large predators away. If you find ways around predators, and ways to dismantle predatory advances with technology (which seams to be the primary goal) why would there then be a need to kill reapers??

My primary argument is, if you have a lethal weapon in the game, capable of killing the big nasty predators, you eventually lose your challenge, if I can upgrade a laser beam and fry the things that try to kill me ... what was the point of everything else along the way. The risk eventually gets taken away, the scary predators aren't scary, and you can just go everywhere and kill anything with no consequence, no sense of danger.

NOW am I arguing that it is unrealistic that said tools would exist, no, if you have the tech that is available, it is then probable that one could Jerry rig a laser or a pointy stick, especially if you just had no access to anything. and would you want to kill something that almost killed you a hundred times ... yes. However, with the tech available it just doesn't seem pertinent to need say a spear-gun, when I can freeze any animal in place and yank it out of the water. and it doesn't make much sense to go out of your way to kill some of the biggest creatures in the ocean ... from a survival perspective. It just makes more sense to avoid the big bad.

In summation: The big creatures don't need to be killed, makes the game boring (right now). Anything else can already be done with the tools available.

Perspective: in nature killing predators is much MUCH worse then killing the prey animals, usually predators are much less common then prey animals and when they are removed from an ecosystem, prey animals will overpopulate .. or new dominant predators will proliferate. This would be a cool game mechanic. Eventually if you do kill a reaper, make other predators become more prevalent. on the other hand if you kill the smaller predators the larger ones will also begin to become less common .... just an idea.
    you eventually lose your challenge

Except that no, you don't.
    Reaper Leviathans can still kill you in 1 bite.
    Literally nobody is asking for a thing that kills Reapers in 1 shot.

Spearguns are my default suggestion because they're so simple, effective, and easy to balance.
    Kills tiny fish, Scares off medium fish, Pisses off big fish.
    They're for hunting and scaring off small sharks.

If you actually want to duke it out with Reapers you must have some serious thrill issues dude.

tarek wrote: »

r u daft ?? what do you call the heated blade and the gravity gun?

What I meant was they won't add anymore lethal weapons.
    I don't understand why people always turn to partly or fully lethal weapons when something threatens them, there are other ways to solve that problem...
  • LeftyLikeLeftyLike Norway Join Date: 2015-04-19 Member: 203638Members
    I'm actually OK with Subnautica lacking weapons..as long as it makes sense in the game.. and it kinda does. The Aurora is not a warship, and is used to terraform other planets.
    I think it makes sense that they (the goverment, corporation) wouldn't want them to produce weapons with the fabricator. The Stasis rifle, knife and propulsion cannon are probably meant to be used as tools and not weapons, in the same way as a nail gun is a tool.

IF they add weapons to the game they shouldn't be craftable, but something that you have to find, along with ammunition. (probably on the aurora)

It would make sense that they at least had a few weapons on the aurora, for protection.
    edited August 2015
    LeftyLike wrote: »
    The Aurora is not a warship
    I love this "Argument"

It would be bafflingly stupid for a terraforming operation to not bring weapons for self defense.
    For several reasons.
    The most obvious being the hostile creatures, many of which we know absolutely nothing about.

There's also the fact that we're light years away from earth with no easy way back, or way to quickly reinforce ourselves should sh*t happen to go down. It's basically the Wild West out there. Any fight we get into would be life or death.

The Aurora, it's crew, and The Mission at hand are all incredibly valuable to the human race, as it is essentially creating a new home for us. If you mean to tell me Alterra didn't have the forethought to provide a means to protect such a weighty investment, I have no choice but to question your sanity.

I only want a damn spear gun.
    I love this "Argument"

It would be bafflingly stupid for a terraforming operation to not bring weapons for self defense.
    For several reasons.
    The most obvious being the hostile creatures, many of which we know absolutely nothing about.

There's also the fact that we're light years away from earth with no easy way back, or way to quickly reinforce ourselves should sh*t happen to go down. It's basically the Wild West out there. Any fight we get into would be life or death.

The Aurora, it's crew, and The Mission at hand are all incredibly valuable to the human race, as it is essentially creating a new home for us. If you mean to tell me Alterra didn't have the forethought to provide a means to protect such a weighty investment, I have no choice but to question your sanity.

Perhaps they were afraid that if they gave the scientists weapons they would just go insane and start killing the indigenous life? So they gave them stasis rifles as a means of defense instead...you know, because the Aurora isn't a warship. ;)
    edited August 2015
    Perhaps they were afraid that if they gave the scientists weapons they would just go insane and start killing the indigenous life?

Please tell me you're joking.
    I get that we're in a new era of progressive thinking and political correctness, but I highly doubt Alterra would hire on dangerous psychopaths to man their big important terraforming operation.
    This is about as dumb as the "IF YOU GIVE THE PLAYER A GUN THEY'LL JUST KILL EVERYTHING AND NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE" argument.
    It has nothing to do about political correctness, it has to do about not killing the indigenous life, even if it wants to kill you.

The stasis rifle can even stop something as big as the reaper.

While I don't think players would just kill everything if given a gun, I do think if faced with a threat, they would go for the gun instead of the stasis rifle.
    ...or both...stasis first, then shoot.

All this said. If i was stranded on an alien planet, i would probably kill anything that tried to kill me.
    I'm just trying to point out reasons on why there might not be guns in the game from a story perspective, and not because i'm against weapons in the game.
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    I love this "Argument"

For several reasons.

Perhaps they were afraid that if they gave the scientists weapons they would just go insane and start killing the indigenous life? So they gave them stasis rifles as a means of defense instead...you know, because the Aurora isn't a warship. ;)

the prometheus, the nostromo, the uss enterprise, USG kellion, USG ishimura, UNSC Forward Unto Dawn.

what do these ships have in common?

all of them are on non-combat missions, yet all of them have weapons.

it just makes sense to be armed. allways. why? because **** happens. **** ALWAYS HAPPENS.
    Well, with the exception of USS Enterprise (I think?), they also have in common that they were destroyed.
    So, when the censored parts happen, better get your stasis rifles.

There were probably weapons on the Aurora, but that does not mean we as players are ever going to get to use them.
    Gordon Freeman we are not.

How many weapons were on board? Were they locked in some sort of security room? Are they scattered all across the sea, like titanium? Can you make them with the fabricator?
    Well, with the exception of USS Enterprise (I think?), they also have in common that they were destroyed.
    So, when the censored parts happen, better get your stasis rifles.

There were probably weapons on the Aurora, but that does not mean we as players are ever going to get to use them.

How many weapons were on board? Were they locked in some sort of security room? Are they scattered all across the sea, like titanium? Can you make them with the fabricator?

im not even talking about weapons like that. people CONSTANTLY think that.

do you not think it's asinine that when you have scrap metal and shark teeth, to not make a pokey pokey stick to pokey the big fisheys.

it makes me want to bang my head against the life pod wall since that isn't a thing.
    edited August 2015
    >Silent
    >Scientist
    >Primary weapon is a tool for interacting with the world
    >Propulsion Cannon is literally the Gravity Gun
    >Radiation/HEV suit
    >Smallest and most annoying enemies are ones that attach to your body

>Somehow we're not Gordon Freeman

k
    @04Leonhardt
    Yes, we are playing a similar character (which was the point of the comment), but we are still not playing Half-Life.
    Half-Life is purely an action game, so obviously there are weapons in it. Subnautica is not an action game.

They may or may not choose to have weapons in it, for story reasons or for gameplay reasons.

@tyler111762
    It would be fine to make something like a spear, but I assumed you meant firearms, because that's one of the things the ships you mentioned have in common.
    With the exception of the nostromo, I think.

I have become the Devil's advocate. >:)
    >Silent
    >Scientist
    >Primary weapon is a tool for interacting with the world
    >Propulsion Cannon is literally the Gravity Gun
    >Radiation/HEV suit
    >Smallest and most annoying enemies are ones that attach to your body

>Somehow we're not Gordon Freeman

k
    >top kek

• IfritIfrit canada Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207209Members
    I think weapons would be a perfect addition to the game but the devs should also add in non lethal weapons for those of you that dont want to kill anything and want to sneak past things there should be some kind of benefit to doing things lethally and non lethally there should be a balance. I feel as though this game is unbalanced in the fact that i CANT kill anything trying to eat me without hitting it 100 times with a knife (which by the way isnt a very smart choice in weapons when dealing with a massive man eating fish) sure i could use a stasis rife to subdue it and run away but i dont really want the lurking danger of a hungry fish looming over my head while im trying to explore/collect materials.
    I know many of you disagree with weapons in the game but sadly there needs to be some form of balance that doesn't involve running away all of the time.