Seamoth charging in Moon Pool (Freedom mode?!?!?!)

LordSableLordSable Australia Join Date: 2015-03-14 Member: 202096Members
I really don't understand why the seamoth can't be charged while docked in the Moon Pool in Freedom mode?!

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Moon Pool needs power to work
  • InsanityFactorInsanityFactor Finland Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206864Members
    This seems to affect both Cyclops and Moon Pool charging with this new update (in Freedom Mode), docking the Seamoth to Cyclops seems to no longer charge it. Perhaps somehow the game thinks there's no power to charge the 'moth with since Freedom mode doesn't keep track of the power of the base or cyclops? *shrug*.

There seems to be a post and a Trello card about this bug, so perhaps it's being worked on? I hope, because it was quite the dissapointment for me when I finally managed to craft the pool. :grin:

Bug report post:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/138017/bug-seamoth-not-charging-when-docked-in-cyclops-freedom-mode-20123

Trello:
    https://trello.com/c/Mr9FGbow/954-20505-seamoth-not-charging-when-docked-in-cyclops-or-moon-pool-freedom-mode-thx-simu

So no, it doesn't seem to be just a problem with power, since it's affecting Cyclops as well. At least for me and other(s) who have this issue now. Oh, and I started a new game for the update, so it shouldn't be an issue with an older save either.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    This is very confusing, I even tested this out on freedom and my moonpool totally charged my seamoth..
  • InsanityFactorInsanityFactor Finland Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206864Members
    I tried to spawn a new Seamoth (first one was legitly crafted), no difference. It still says "charging XX%", but the charge doesn't increase, either in Moonpool or Cyclops. Did it actually increase the charge level for your 'moth Lightdevil, or just say it did? Also maybe this discussion should be merged with the bug report? I dunno.
  • LordSableLordSable Australia Join Date: 2015-03-14 Member: 202096Members
    I got my seamoth down to 7%, it sat in the Moon Pool for a good 15 minutes before I noticed it was not charging. My base has several solar panels installed, all at full charge. As soon as I set the gamemode to Survival, the Seamoth begins charging.

I just don't get why it doesnt charge in Freedom mode (Hey, heres Freedom mode, but we are going to take away the freedom of charging your Seamoth!)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    It will not charge so long as you are playing in freedom mode, this is known.
  • LordSableLordSable Australia Join Date: 2015-03-14 Member: 202096Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

Thanks for stating the obvious... I think we get that... what I want to understand is WHY?! My base is powered, the damn thing should charge. Being penalised for playing Freedom in this way seems a little rough. Not everyone enjoys survival with the constant hassle of water/food.

LordSable wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »

Thanks for stating the obvious... I think we get that... what I want to understand is WHY?! My base is powered, the damn thing should charge. Being penalised for playing Freedom in this way seems a little rough. Not everyone enjoys survival with the constant hassle of water/food.

Fairly certain it's a bug, since there's even a Trello card on it. So I doubt it's an intentional "penalization" for playing Freedom. Cyclops used to charge the Seamoth before the update, after all. The update probably just broke the Seamoth for Freedom Mode somehow (I hope).

Coding games isn't exactly simple, any little thing can affect another, etc etc. I imagine it'll get fixed eventually, though it worries me slightly that the Trello card is in "minor (dumb) things" section. It gives an image (to me) that they don't find it particularly important bug to fix. It IS making Seamoth exploration more of a pain due to having to craft a bunch of power cells just to keep going.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    Thanks for stating the obvious... I think we get that... what I want to understand is WHY?!
    Technically it is a bug. That's what I meant by "it is known".

I say technically because there aren't really power requirements in freedom mode, so it's a bit of a left over.
    The game is constantly being adjusted to essentially make multiple versions of a game so this stuff is bound to arise.

I'll make a trello card for it so it gets some attention, as I too play exclusively in freedom mode and noticed this in testing, (I do not care for the hunger / thirst mechanics) but it was not enough to stop the patch from going out.

EDIT: This was actually already reported on July 30th. It's on the radar at least :)
    EDIT 2 : I must be tired.. I am just now reading the post above mine. Sigh..
  • Spartan117m15Spartan117m15 'Merica Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207122Members
    I got my seamoth down to 7%, it sat in the Moon Pool for a good 15 minutes before I noticed it was not charging. My base has several solar panels installed, all at full charge. As soon as I set the gamemode to Survival, the Seamoth begins charging.

I just don't get why it doesnt charge in Freedom mode (Hey, heres Freedom mode, but we are going to take away the freedom of charging your Seamoth!)

How do you change the gamemode once you created a world????
  • simusimu Join Date: 2015-03-03 Member: 201680Members

The Seamoth now does not need any power in Freedom mode (same as Cyclops).

• press F3 and enable the command line (deselect top checkbox)
    • press RETURN to get the command line
    • enter SURVIVAL or FREEDOM and press RETURN to send it
  • TechMasterAllenTechMasterAllen Join Date: 2015-06-28 Member: 205844Members
    They fixed it now.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    simu wrote: »
    The Seamoth now does not need any power in Freedom mode (same as Cyclops).

• press F3 and enable the command line (deselect top checkbox)
    • press RETURN to get the command line
    • enter SURVIVAL or FREEDOM and press RETURN to send it

It still uses up power in Freedom mode, not sure if it makes a difference when It hits zero, but the energy still goes down.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Oh, the Seamoth most definitely consumes power in Freedom mode.

It also depletes to 0 %. Had to physically push mine the rest of the way when it conked out next to the moon-pool.

Grapples engaged just fine. Charging supposedly commenced, but it stubbornly remains at 0 %. Yes, there are working solar panels fitted to the moon-pool.

Same deal with the Cyclops charging bay. Not a happy camper.

I'll try switching the game mode, but I'm not a huge fan of trying to gather enough food to survive past Day One, particularly since food fish aren't re-spawning yet.
    Currently working within the rationale (or 'delusion', if you prefer) that the Fabricator also functions as a protein re-sequencer. Water is obtained by reverse-osmosis filtration of seawater.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Oh, the Seamoth most definitely consumes power in Freedom mode.

It also depletes to 0 %. Had to physically push mine the rest of the way when it conked out next to the moon-pool.

Grapples engaged just fine. Charging supposedly commenced, but it stubbornly remains at 0 %. Yes, there are working solar panels fitted to the moon-pool.

Same deal with the Cyclops charging bay. Not a happy camper.

I'll try switching the game mode, but I'm not a huge fan of trying to gather enough food to survive past Day One, particularly since food fish aren't re-spawning yet.
    Currently working within the rationale (or 'delusion', if you prefer) that the Fabricator also functions as a protein re-sequencer. Water is obtained by reverse-osmosis filtration of seawater.

You don't need to stay in Survival mode when doing this. When I dock my sea moth in the Cyclops, for example, I quickly switch to survival mode. I then hear the moth charging which takes all of a few seconds. Once the charging has stopped I revert back to freedom mode.