Reefback's back reef?

BIPPITYBIPPITY England Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205283Members

Comments

• BritemacBritemac Texas Join Date: 2015-07-20 Member: 206290Members
    Supposedly Reef Backs will eventually be mobile plantations, from what I've heard
  • solar71solar71 usa Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205276Members
    I would love that!
  • BIPPITYBIPPITY England Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205283Members
    yeah at the moment Reefback's look somewhat plain, I hope they get the plant-life on their back, it would be even better if smaller fish lived on the Reefback's back.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I think that for them to really seem like mobile ecosystems, they need to be bigger.
    i think if they doubled their size they would be fine.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    These are mostly babies. Unfortunately, adult reefbacks were spawning all in one place when the ship crashed, and it killed most of them.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I've already heard that the developers are working on a sort of plantation that can be grown on reefbacks. That is an EXCELLENT idea, but remember that reefbacks move, so it'd be difficult to find the plantation again. The only way to easily find an area is to place a beacon close by, but beacons don't move; they just float in mid-water. So here's my idea : beacons can be upgraded using the workbench so that they actually stick to the belly of a reefback or other large animal. That way the player would never loose his/her plantations.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Another problem with this is that the game only "runs" for an area a few hundred meters around the player. So, if the reefback, is out of range, stuff on it just stops moving/growing.

Based on this design decision (by UWE) I have always wondered how the game would work once it gets more complex. I'm still holding out for a change to at least do a macro-simulation of the entire game area behind the scenes - e.g. with a WorldSimulationManager - but have yet to see this in action.

• EitelkeitEitelkeit Join Date: 2015-07-31 Member: 206588Members
    One of the most strong impressions from the game is when you anxiously looting in grassy platos for that silver and fragments and then hear that mighty horn-like sound shattering you to the depth of your mind. You raise your head frightened and there he is, the floating island above you, obscuring the sun. Love the reefbacks.
    Eitelkeit wrote: »
    One of the most strong impressions from the game is when you anxiously looting in grassy platos for that silver and fragments and then hear that mighty horn-like sound shattering you to the depth of your mind. You raise your head frightened and there he is, the floating island above you, obscuring the sun. Love the reefbacks.

Reefbacks are the best, I don't know why i like them so much really they're kind of boring...