Combat mod, will it ever re-surface?

tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
Miss playing combat so much. Would it ever be possible to bring it back to life? The maps are out there, and now the new builds shouldn't break mods so bad with the CDT's magic fingers.

It is also the perfect game mode for new players to break into, personally i played combat on ns1 for years without hardly touching ns_maps.

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    If only, if only...
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    pretty sure that bridge has been burned
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wheeee wrote: »

I've said it multiple times and I'll say it again

This.

The ability to interchange between game modes would of been a major bonus for NSC than having it as a separate entity.

Combat alone is not enough for the average gamer, it becomes just another mindless generic fps shooter. Only reason Call of Duty and Battlefield series work and continues to do so is because they established a major player base years ago with the original COD and BF1942 which were smash hits and have millions in their marketing budget to pull it off which targeted specifically alot of teenage players that had daddys credit cards to buy the game with.

Which is why you see alot of 13 year old trolls on these games.

NSC couldn't compete with that kind of opposition, not without major funding. Paint it however you want it but money is a real driving force behind how successful a game can be. There are very few notable exceptions.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I really doubt the combat guys would ever come back to pouring their time and energy into maintaining a free mod. If anything, they would be trying to improve their paid game.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wish there was a Combat DLC (ps. I paid full price for Combat). I would pay to play that whilst waiting for a proper game to start. Then again, NS1 Combat killed NS1 (in my opinion) so...
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Wheeee wrote: »
    XKlEW2Y.png
    I hope it's not true, but its probably true :(
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It looks like it is dead and buried. Hopefully the NS2 base game can gain some more players and keep itself alive for a few more years.
    the sad thing is, if ns combat didn't go its own way, it would still be played every day...but it's completely dead.

I wonder if the combat dev team actually made any money on it.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Set a time/date and Ill log on for some NS2:Combat fun.

I've said it before, NS2: Combat should go free to play I actually miss playing but no one's ever on it :(
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Ask Rusty to play with you. Every month or two he offers me a key asks me to play with him and every time I need to explain to him that I game on Linux. I get the impression he's pretty itchy for it too. So there you go, you're not alone.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    edited July 2015
    You can play ns2c every saturday. There are enough players for 1-2 servers.

edit: steamcommunity.com/games/ns2combat/announcements/detail/132078781951342113
  • Locke504Locke504 Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71511Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2015
    We're playing Combat games every Saturday in anticipation of the balance patch that is releasing soon with a price drop for the stand alone game.

If you want to see what we're up to we generally stream our play tests and public server games so check out our twitch channel.

www.twitch.tv/faultlinegames

edited July 2015
    Combat is still in development and a balance patch is releasing very soon. This will fix a lot of the issues from the first released live build and put combat on firm ground going forward in terms of balance and gameplay.

There were a couple unfortunate events leading up to this moment that have hurt the combat community but the project is still moving forward and we hope to be playing on full servers again very soon. =)
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    I paid for the standalone to support you guys and to say thanks for all the combat over the years but i haven't even loaded the game up and i never will. I want a combat mod for ns2 which i can just jump into before and after playing ns2, faded and siege, not a different game with a different feel.

If anyone ever decides to have a go at combat mod for ns2 then start a gofundme page or something, offer me a cool badge on your official server and then simply shut up and take my money.
  • Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
    We are sorry to hear you feel that way. Sadly we have no plans to continue supporting the mod. We are still fully dedicated to those who supported us and we will continue to work on NS2: Combat to bring it to it's full potential. As stated above we have a patch releasing soon that focuses of fixing many of the balance issues within Combat; as well as introducing a few new mechanics and a new map. We will be permanently reducing the price of Combat upon release of this patch. If you currently own Combat, come out and join us during our hosted public games every Saturday.
    I paid for the standalone to support you guys and to say thanks for all the combat over the years but i haven't even loaded the game up and i never will.

Then you obviously don't feel like playing Combat that much lol.

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Combat was extremely fun. Big shame it wasnt incorporated back into ns2 better. I dont want to see a mod resurface and i think that's kind of a slap in the face to faultline. The problem is like 90% of people interested in combat in the first place were ns2 players... whose numbers are not that high. So you're creating another niche in a very niche game that just cant get filled in with their separation.

Everytime I get these message from combat saying join now and play with the devs.. I join... and there's still not a soul in sight.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    Locke504 wrote: »
    I paid for the standalone to support you guys and to say thanks for all the combat over the years but i haven't even loaded the game up and i never will.

Thats because your standalone is sh*t.

Wish you all the best and sincerely would love to see combat have more than 0 people playing it at peak times but it really feels like pouring water on a drowning man.

edited July 2015

Wish you all the best and sincerely would love to see combat have more than 0 people playing it at peak times but it really feels like pouring water on a drowning man.

There will definitely be people playing at these times every Saturday until the balance patch releases.

NA:

Time : 7:00pm EDST (4:00pm PST) Server : http://DiamondGamers.net - NS2: Combat Server

EU:

Time : 7:00pm BST (8pm UTC) Server : [NL] Wraith

In response to the servers being dead during peak time, well that's true enough for the time being. There was a bad patch a few months ago that all but destroyed our little (but active) community.

The game breaking mechanic that was added was patched out (the current build) and the game plays fine now, but by then the people who weren't fanatics about the game mode had given up, and the people who were left couldn't carry it by themselves.

At this point, with their community all but gone, the devs took a step back to focus on fixing a bunch of problems with combat that had been in since launch, which is this upcoming balance patch.

The above mentioned fanatics who stuck around with combat up to this point (myself included) are the people who've been helping to tweak this upcoming balance patch, and I feel really good about it and where combat is heading.

For all the problems Combat has experienced up to this point, it has never stopped being a super fun game and I hope the price drop is enough to entice people to come figure that out for themselves.

So your desire to actually play combat lies somewhere between making a forum post about wanting to play it, and actually double clicking the game in your library to run it?

Just judging from the number of keystrokes required to make this post, you could be playing NS2 Combat right now!

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Just judging from the number of keystrokes required to make this post, you could be playing NS2 Combat right now!

It's not a singleplayer game...

What are you talking about? Sometimes there is a single person playing it.

It's sad though, the combat community basically vanished without a trace after the game came out. I don't even think most of them came back to ns2 either.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    On the modding in general, I don't think you will find many of the modders who have moved on to new projects coming back to NS2.

Fortunately there are still a few very good ones around, and if @McGlaspie ever gets the chance to work on MvM again, I will definitely install NS2 again to come back and give it a whirl.
    edited July 2015

I was really responding to the comment about never having even loaded the client on their computer. I thought it was funny that someone had both made a post about wanting to play Combat and then adamantly claiming they would never load the game on their computer.

FLG is hoping to solve the lack of player problem with marketing and a price drop in addition to the balance patch improvements. The balance patch addresses a lot of the issues that early players had with the games current build, so I'm hoping that we get some of those people playing again as well.

I'll be happy if we just get to the point where people are actively playing the game again. Combat is still my favorite game and I haven't gamed nearly as much since the servers went cold. =(
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

I was really responding to the comment about never having even loaded the client on their computer. I thought it was funny that someone had both made a post about wanting to play Combat and then adamantly claiming they would never load the game on their computer.

FLG is hoping to solve the lack of player problem with marketing and a price drop in addition to the balance patch improvements. The balance patch addresses a lot of the issues that early players had with the games current build, so I'm hoping that we get some of those people playing again as well.

I'll be happy if we just get to the point where people are actively playing the game again. Combat is still my favorite game and I haven't gamed nearly as much since the servers went cold. =(

Let me know when that balance update goes out, and I'll be happy to hop on and play some games with y'all.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is there a steam group for combat?
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    NS2 combat mod was fun. Jump in, click aliens.

NS:Combat was awful. The rumours I heard pre-launch of high HP skulks, low HP fades, gorge OP, and little to no balance input from high skilled players was frightening. I played 10 hours or so trying with each passing minute to convince myself that it's a different game and will have to be played differently before I came to two conclusions.
    1. It's imbalanced, and not for me.
    2. It's no longer jump in, click aliens. There was more to it than that and it was not for me.

I wonder to what extent someone could re-create a combat mod for ns2 which doesn't infringe any intellectual property rights. The deathmatch style of ns2 mechanics really clicked with me; changing it too much really broke it for me.
    I had a lot of fun on Rusty's server with the jetpack/knife MvM and pistol-only MvM that was hosted for a few minutes. It wasn't actually a mod but just turning on friendly fire, but I'd love to play a few rounds of that every now and then.