Coming Next: Habitat - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageComing Next: Habitat - Subnautica

Sea bases have been one of Subnautica’s most loved features. Since their release in February 2015, many of us at Unknown Worlds have wanted to improve upon them. Moon pools...

Read the full story here

Comments

• KohaneyeKohaneye USA Join Date: 2015-02-28 Member: 201594Members
    Has it really been that long since sea bases? How time has flown. Anyway thanks for consistent communication and production transparency Hugh & team. Looking forward to an excellent update yet again. Koh*
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Great update Hugh.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Excellent, now just one for the Cyclops...
  • VindhlerVindhler Florida Join Date: 2015-03-19 Member: 202300Members
    So looking forward to this update :D
  • simon_msimon_m New Zealand Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206490Members
    Guys, I love the idea of habitats and moon pools. But as a fellow software developer with 30+ years experience, I'd have to recommend that you release the habitats *without* the moon pool in order to maintain your momentum with the players, and then release the moon pool as a separate release. It's certain to be well received on it's own.
    simon_m wrote: »
    Guys, I love the idea of habitats and moon pools. But as a fellow software developer with 30+ years experience, I'd have to recommend that you release the habitats *without* the moon pool in order to maintain your momentum with the players, and then release the moon pool as a separate release. It's certain to be well received on it's own.

Disagree. As stated I would rather they work on a Cyclops dock for the big one two

I understand you're more experienced than I am in these things, don't think I didn't read the post
  • Cynder_DragonbornCynder_Dragonborn United Staes Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203557Members
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I do hope they fix the deconstruction bugs on all the new stuff, but I am confident they will do so.

Am I the only one thinking the moon pool is TO EFFECTIVE?
    Its like, park inside.. wait 5 seconds.. full. Im all for not making only batteries in your subnautica life, but the recharging is so fast its overdoing it.

Battery replacement (if you have them crafted earlier obviously) should be the FAST way.
    Moonpool recharging should be the SLOW but cheaper way.
    Right now its fast vs even faster. Which removes one task from the game entirely, making batteries/power cells. (Yes the cyclops still needs them, but if you travel mainly in your in your cyclops in most cases well.. use the seamoth already? :P )
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    I thought about the future of energy cells too. The only upside is that they're portable.
  • TartarinTartarin France Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202162Members
    Hi all

I think dev may rework the sas of the base, because they are totally unreallistic. But if they are like that for not bothering the player by waiting the flooding/draining of the room so I won't complain ^^
  • ZixinusZixinus Hungary Join Date: 2015-07-22 Member: 206338Members
    edited July 2015
    I actually have a question for the devs: aside a moon pool and the observation dome, what other base components can we expect? New power sources? More gadgets? More rooms?

Also, is there a rule on where and how I can place solar panels? Sometimes the games let me on a component and sometimes not.
    Seldkam wrote: »

Disagree. As stated I would rather they work on a Cyclops dock for the big one two

I understand you're more experienced than I am in these things, don't think I didn't read the post

Yes, but you are ignoring a crucial aspect in balancing: Making a moonpool right now is actually pretty expensive (4-5 titanium ingots, 4 lubricants, advanced wiring kit) vs new battery/power-cell (2x(3xmushroom+1copper)+1silicon). So in terms of actual resources exhausted, the moon pool is the more expensive option and one that also requires a seabase. New power cells or batteries do not.

That and because resources do not respawn and due to the game's theme, I heavily favor a renewable resource. Plus there is the fact that we can make rechargeable batteries now, why shouldn't the future batteries be also rechargeable? I am actually hoping that one of the future updates will have an item charger.
  • BritemacBritemac Texas Join Date: 2015-07-20 Member: 206290Members
    Zixinus wrote: »
    I actually have a question for the devs: aside a moon pool and the observation dome, what other base components can we expect? New power sources? More gadgets? More rooms?

Also, is there a rule on where and how I can place solar panels? Sometimes the games let me on a component and sometimes not.

Yes, but you are ignoring a crucial aspect in balancing: Making a moonpool right now is actually pretty expensive (4-5 titanium ingots, 4 lubricants, advanced wiring kit) vs new battery/power-cell (2x(3xmushroom+1copper)+1silicon). So in terms of actual resources exhausted, the moon pool is the more expensive option and one that also requires a seabase. New power cells or batteries do not.

That and because resources do not respawn and due to the game's theme, I heavily favor a renewable resource. Plus there is the fact that we can make rechargeable batteries now, why shouldn't the future batteries be also rechargeable? I am actually hoping that one of the future updates will have an item charger.

There's a flipper upgrade for that atm actually XD

edited July 2015

You call that expensive? xD I don't :|

Power cells I always have in stock, (copper is easy to find, as are acid mushrooms, so is quartz and titanium ingots are really easy to find because of the scrap metal everywhere

Again, so are lubricants

Scratch all that, everything n the game is easy to find as long as you know where to look for it, so since I know where everything is it really is of no consequence how much I need to get since it just takes a few trips in a seamoth xD

Umm I don't think I disagreed about the rechargeable batteries btw... I would actually like to see those
  • TieraxTierax aus Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206401Members
    resources don't respawn? since when? it seems like they do, just very slowly
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    It may seem like they do, but it is really just stuff you missed the last time you went over the area. Unless they snuck a secret respawning update in there somewhere, but I'm sure they would have mentioned it somewhere..
    i know at least scrap metal respawns, ive had peices randomly appear right in front of me (scares me half to death because 9 times outta ten, i'm being chased)
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Tierax wrote: »
    i know at least scrap metal respawns, ive had peices randomly appear right in front of me (scares me half to death because 9 times outta ten, i'm being chased)

Nope! Probably just stalkers moving them for ya!
  • SunseahlSunseahl Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205358Members
    One step closer to having complete rodent environments.... Next release... the hamster wheel!
  • AmanchamAmancham GER Join Date: 2015-07-01 Member: 205922Members
    Sunseahl wrote: »
    One step closer to having complete rodent environments.... Next release... the hamster wheel!
    ... to power your base ^^
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    If resources do not refresh eventually, we may eventually run out... Dont know how I think about that.
    on the one hand, thats a pretty uh... strong messege for the game.. but maybe not so much playable?

I know, but it doesn't work well (constant start and stop) with the Seaglide which is the most battery-consuming thing.

One is more expensive than the other. It takes less resources and time to build a Seamoth than to build a Moonpool right now. The only thing more expensive is a Cyclops.
    who knows? maybe what we see at the momnent are the young, staying reletviely close to the shallows?

I know, but it doesn't work well (constant start and stop) with the Seaglide which is the most battery-consuming thing.

One is more expensive than the other. It takes less resources and time to build a Seamoth than to build a Moonpool right now. The only thing more expensive is a Cyclops.

My point was I could get all that stuff in 10-15 minutes lol
    Cyclops maybe 20
    Most things in the game (that have to do with crafting) just don't really serve as a barrier, which I LIKE :D
    Cyclops maybe 20

And you are still missing mine: building a power cell costs less resources than building a new moon pool + base. Even if it takes little time it still takes more resources (and thus time). That you find it still easy doesn't change the fact that the sheer amount of resources for one is much bigger than for the other.
    edited July 2015
    Not sure i can agree with you there zix, the moon pools like a garage, a nice safe spot to recharge, repair and getting more cells... well... even if you could recharge the cells and switch them out, i think there is plenty of room for both options, why build a stockpile of cells to keep charged if you only plan local tour?

Why build only a moon pool if you plan on deep dive or long range expiditions?

theres a good place for both. repairing/recharging the seamoth in the open sea will always have risks asscoiated that rewards the low cost of a handful of cells, Whereas the moon pools potential upgrading ability, renewable charge, and safety offset it's own rathy hefty cost.
  • Error_MackroError_Mackro N Join Date: 2015-07-30 Member: 206541Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    It may seem like they do, but it is really just stuff you missed the last time you went over the area. Unless they snuck a secret respawning update in there somewhere, but I'm sure they would have mentioned it somewhere..
    Wow really? I noticed mushrooms didn't respawn but I could of swore that I went through areas for limestone I already mined and saw more there.

If that's true we'll really need renewable energies eventually, I think I've mined 80% of the map copper already for cells.
    Cyclops maybe 20

And you are still missing mine: building a power cell costs less resources than building a new moon pool + base. Even if it takes little time it still takes more resources (and thus time). That you find it still easy doesn't change the fact that the sheer amount of resources for one is much bigger than for the other.

But that's irrelevant ... If something has great benefit and is easy to do the person will build that something, ie the moon pool lol
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2015

Oh to have the Blizzard luxury of over a million users across your lineup and millions of dollars sitting in the bank to spend on the next project. To then reply "when it's done" and not worry about momentum or fallout.

I'd agree with Luitjens though, we're already up to our necks in the moon pool and have been a good bit now..seems ridiculous not to include it especially for the stated reason that this is intended to be a big base update. This update is as cool as the Cyclops was, and even more (to me) if you like a slower and more customize-able adventuring process. But from the outside looking in, I can feel the pain of Jonas and the pressure of a very large project in a small house. Make no mistake, this game will have a ton of working and moving parts when released.

My hope would be that this update is a major draw for the creative builder types, to enjoy that experience in such a beautiful and unique setting which is just waiting outside of your observatory to explore. Afterwards maybe scope and number of working parts per update can be thought about in terms of momentum. My suggestion moving forward would be to subtly keep drawing the base builder fans back in to the game. Every future update they (devs) might want to add one or two new decorative pieces that you scan in to an accessories tab on the builder... after discovering them when you wander back through the dangerous and spooky wreckage of the Aurora and the crash site.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I hope they don't go too deep in the building aspect of the game for two reasons..

1 - It is an sci-fi exploration game, so I hope the other elements, fish research, dna etc, are also major focuses and enjoyments.

2 - My entire game dev career consists of my previous ns2 building mod GorgeCraft, and hopefully future success of my in development standalone sequel. The last thing I want in the building games genre is competition from UWE, lol.