Nationalism and Ns2

2»

Comments

• WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The american public scene is medieval compared to the industrial age EU public scene.

You do have some american players who have been enlightened but it's hard to change the dogma of fast PGs, although fast arms lab is happening more and more often.

Americans for the most part have a way more hierarchy approach to listening to people. If someone who is a regular says something, they listen to it way more than someone new to the community, until that person establishes themselves with a 50-5 KD score, then that person is alpha of the team. Often times you'll see 2-3 people around the same skill fighting each other with ideas to establish their own dominance.

The Thirsty Onos (EU) seems chaotic in contrast, but the skill levels of the average players are much higher so the requirement for an alpha is lessened because people for the most part can think a little bit more for themselves.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    What about Canadians? Literally, is there no Canadian ns2 community or what? 35 million of us, yet I seem to be the only one playing ns2 :s
    I said Americans, but it is the NA community. For all intents and purposes your American in this thread.
    If you mean that, what would France count as? Just off the coast of Newfoundland they own an island or two, yet France is in europe too. So, mind blown. French ns2 is both EU and NA. B)

wait, france is still a country?

i swear, after that charming bonaparte fellow it's all been downhill...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    nachos wrote: »
    The american public scene is medieval compared to the industrial age EU public scene.

You do have some american players who have been enlightened but it's hard to change the dogma of fast PGs, although fast arms lab is happening more and more often.

Americans for the most part have a way more hierarchy approach to listening to people. If someone who is a regular says something, they listen to it way more than someone new to the community, until that person establishes themselves with a 50-5 KD score, then that person is alpha of the team. Often times you'll see 2-3 people around the same skill fighting each other with ideas to establish their own dominance.

The Thirsty Onos (EU) seems chaotic in contrast, but the skill levels of the average players are much higher so the requirement for an alpha is lessened because people for the most part can think a little bit more for themselves.

I know what you mean about phase gates first always. The servers I play on don't do that very often, and when they do they get asked not to. Sometimes it works, but only when we have a good commander with a clear strategy to use them with specific goals.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Martigen wrote: »
    Great topic :)

My experience -- and note, this is strictly pub play:

* Koreans -- Of all the worldwide servers I've played on, the Koreans exhibit the most teamwork. If you're a comm, and you ask marines to go somewhere, they all do it. No people randomly running off doing their own thing, which is most US/EU games, these guys actually listen and follow your orders. It's like a commander's wet dream. On top of this, they all look out for eachother, lots of welding etc.

* French -- haven't played on an all-french server but played a number of times with french comms on EU servers. This is just my experience of a handful of comms, but they all seemed to be risk-averse, thinking it better to hold onto current ground at all costs and rarely risking one tech point to take another.

* US/AU -- mostly we play the same, I think, though there seem to be more egos on the field on American servers.

Anecdotally, clan play:

* I've not done NS2 competitively, but back in NS1 days one thing I definitely noticed in the competitive scene vis-a-vis aussies and yanks is that aussies tended to take a lot more risks and think outside the box, like a flat-out relocation outside a hive in a tournament game.

I think there is no country for this or that.

I would say for EU/US servers that what you describe is more a public behavior than anything else. The commanders need people looking at things / taking care of things. Public players aren't quite that kind. So the commander has to adapt to it. Sometimes PG is best. Some other time Arms lab is better. It depends on who is playing (both teams).

PS: In NS1 : I did relocated inside an occupied 1st hive at 1.30. It worked... funniest of them all.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    i maintain that medding, and thus arms lab first, is less effective at 20 players than it is at 12. what's optimal at 12 man is most certainly not optimal behavior at 16, 20, 24, 32.

sometimes the only way to get let your marines win engagements without going flat broke is to make sure they've got access to an armory, and they can get reinforcements in less than 30 seconds.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    amoral wrote: »
    i maintain that medding, and thus arms lab first, is less effective at 20 players than it is at 12. what's optimal at 12 man is most certainly not optimal behavior at 16, 20, 24, 32.

sometimes the only way to get let your marines win engagements without going flat broke is to make sure they've got access to an armory, and they can get reinforcements in less than 30 seconds.

This!

When I comm high pop servers for example Woozas, you can't maintain the same mentality that medding will work the same way it does on smaller servers, always best to drop armouries in key locations instead, by the time that happens you can determine which players are worth medding based on scoreboard and communication in regards to players that just like to waste your time and drain your resources

• MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    edited July 2015
    Martigen wrote: »
    Great topic :)
    PS: In NS1 : I did relocated inside an occupied 1st hive at 1.30. It worked... funniest of them all.
    That would have been awesome to watch :) Reminds me of the lols of mining the enemy hive in NS1 -- yeah you could say that's an ass move, but if aliens managed to let marines mine the hive, they have bigger problems.

I know it's on deaf ears, but it's elements like this that are missing from NS2 -- flexibility. It leads to variability, which leads to longevity.

Yojimbo wrote: »
    amoral wrote: »

This!

When I comm high pop servers for example Woozas, you can't maintain the same mentality that medding will work the same way it does on smaller servers, always best to drop armouries in key locations instead, by the time that happens you can determine which players are worth medding based on scoreboard and communication in regards to players that just like to waste your time and drain your resources
    Also agreeing with this! I've said it before -- large servers require different tactics than small, and different tactics arise on a large server you can't do on a small.

E.g. logic might dictate that an arms lab first is a good idea because you have 20 marines gaining that benefit, but with 20 aliens on the field phase gates are often a better bet to give you mobility versus alien coverage, which means you have a longer early-game of base marines and base skulks duking it out, both sides trying to hold ground until they get upgrades out.

It's one reason I like large servers because some of the shit that goes down, especially when a team comes together, is epic.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited August 2015
    Is ADHD North American? Because I've seen some pretty brutal players on those servers ....

PS: Does anyone remember the 'Forward Shade in Comp Lab" attempt by the Aussies during a USA/Aussie clan skirmish? There is a video around somewhere, Hugh might have it. Didn't work but is was a great initial risk/reward maneuver. I don't think we had Phantom at those times.

PPS: Russian Servers are some of the best commanding experiences I've had.