What mouse do you "pwn" with in NS2?

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited July 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
Hi guys,

This might sound like an hardware survey but just curious what mouse everyone uses?

For myself I switched over to a Razer Deathadder 2013.
razer-deathadder-2013-08-1024x681.jpg

When I initially first used it I couldn't get used to the ergonomic shape it was wierd! I found my hand more used to a ambidextrous shape mouse (left/right hand friendly).

However after a couple of months I'll never look back its great mouse and planning on purchasing the Razer Deathstalker keyboard (as I like to colour co-ordinate and hate loud mechanical keys).

How about you guys?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2015
    MX518, the end boss of mouses... mice... hmm :| peripherals :D

*optical ones that is, maybe some lazor mojo is now finally up to part to challenge the king?

logitech_mx518.jpg

how it feels in my hand, wow this escalated quickly :D
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    MX518, the end boss of mouses... mice... hmm :| peripherals :D

*optical ones that is, maybe some lazor mojo is now finally up to part to challenge the king?

Pics kouji pics!

Also describe how it feels in your hand?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Razer Deathadder, best mouse I've ever had.
    shame that like all of my mice in the past few years, they only seem to last ~8 months before the wire starts giving out.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Logitech G400s for me. It's less ergonomic than my old mouse so I had to get used to that first but what bothered me most at first was that this mouse is way lighter than my old mouse was. However this enabled me to get used to a lower sensitivity aswell.

This mouse is light and precise. Everything is fluent here and the buttons are easy to press but not too easy. Basically a very solid mouse that has no flaws in my opinion (unless you need more than 8 buttons on your mouse)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    Razer Deathadder Chroma. Superb mouse. The Razer Keyboard with their own keys are crap, but their mice are pretty damn good.

Their customer service is really excellent too.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Razer Deathadder Chroma. The Razer Keyboard with their own keys are crap, but their mice are pretty damn good.

Their customer service is really excellent too.

Is that the one where you can customise the LED colours?
  • PrommahPrommah Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180293Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2015
    The first 'proper' mouse I had was a Razer DeathAdder (the original one) and it was... just... wonderful. I generally dislike Razer products but.. sometimes they really get it right. It was so sleek, so comfortable, so easy, and even though I'd never really tried any other proper mice, I just knew it was the right weight. Maybe I just feel all of that because it was my first gaming mouse when I was younger though :P

ANYWAY. Moved onto the Logitech MX518 (the original one) when that broke or something. Another wonderful mouse. Felt a bit light after the DeathAdder, but wasn't a problem. Really really great mouse. Amazing for its price. Used that for SO MUCH gaming until it started dying and I finally gave up on it earlier this year. I think I hastened its death by overclocking its polling rate :( It's still next to my mouse mat on my desk.. I CAN'T LET IT GO D':

Using a Gigabyte M8000X for a while now. It came with my last motherboard. Set it to the same DPI that I had the MX518 at and after adjusting to the feel of it, I'm really happy with it. I honestly expected it to be shit since they were bundling it with other products.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    Logitech G600. I love this mouse so much. I've had it for many years, like monitors, once you have more you can't go back. Has 12 thumb buttons and a g-shift to allow for up to 40 customization buttons. I can't see myself using a mouse with less buttons ever again.
    g600-gaming-mouse-images.png
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited July 2015
    Finally got rid of my Deathadder. Had that thing for 2 years + and always hated it, just never wanted to spend on a new one for some reason. Tried a Mionix Naos at work and love it.

Found a Mionix Avior 7000 @ Massdrop for $40 (mionix.net/mice/avior-7000/). I'm in love with having an amidextrous mouse again, and I've been immediately better at aiming on marines and aliens. And I love having ring finger buttons. They can be very useful for binding taunt and enemy spotted.
    AVIOR-7000-5-Transparent-BG.png

RIP Razer Diamondback. When I think of the Diamondback, Enya's Only Time plays.

edit: Always optical, lasers, while cool, are dumb at mice.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    If you really care about precision then you absolutely need the G400s

Everything else is just substandard. Spend the extra dough.
    yHYKYKN.jpg
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    When my old mouse finally died, (which was the predecessor to the one I have now basicly), I got a Logitech G400s, as many did in this topic apparently.

I find it has quite a ergonomic feel, especially combined with a mousepad with wrist gel thingy.
    It has a nice assortment of buttons but not so many as to be a bother to me.

Its accurate (which is ya know, one of the key points of a mouse) and has many dpi settings.
    Easy to use software, can almost bind any key to anything.
    And its light.

10/10, would reorder.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2015
    oh hell no @IronHorse, that list is invalid if it has the MX518 in the bad tier, they are not using that MX engine to it's full potential... Sure if you run it on default port speeds it has anglesnapping, because it is eating up too much bandwidth on the controller and it can't keep up. Non-issue for MX518 anyways, as the speed required it beyond pro gamer capability. And that MX518 angle snapping is completely fixed if you run the usb ports at 1000hz, the rest is history. It is simply the best optical mouse out there... Bad tier, sure hahaha good one :D

They even ran it on a sanding belt (rotating sand thingy, don't know the name :D) at full speed for fun to see how far this simple mod would carry it when at 1000Hz or even 500Hz (default for this mouse is 125Hz) and it simply will not snap

[edit]Kinda makes me wonder about the rest of the list as well :o
  • PrommahPrommah Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180293Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I guess that list assumes standard use. Good to hear though, I was kinda heartbroken over my beautiful babby MX518 :<
    edited July 2015
    Hehe don't worry @Prommah, the only issue the MX series had (the perfected model was the MX518) was indeed angle snapping. But even so, at default USB speeds it is a non-issue, simply because no human alive can move a mouse that fast to make it snap, not even the best pro gamers out there. Hmm, well maybe Lucky Luke and last I heard he's fictionally shooting his shadow. . I'm not sure about the other models that have this issue, they might actually have a real issue with this. However the MX518 simply was lacking USB bandwidth and as I said, for that mouse it's a non-issue anyways.

G400 is the successor to the MX518 and not a 100% successful one at that, double the dpi yet it has a hardware delay causing input lag at high dpi even noticeable at default dpi, if you are really sensitive to this. It is extremely precise and has it beat for pure precision, but it is a tad bit slower to respond. G400 is still the best mouse on the market today (MX518 is retired :( )

it seems the MX518 is still available at magic internet stores, even with custom skins... daheck
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    As is the G400 and the G400s. Logitech stopped producing them, in favor of the new (and horrible) G402 lineup. The mouse has a thumb button which changes your DPI on the default setting. What horrible design.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I had a G500 that died, now using a G402, and in complete contrast to @Zavaro, I think the quick-DPI change button is a godsend when using sniper weapons. I can press and hold the button to switch to a sniper DPI and release back to my normal as soon as I stop zooming.

The thumb button only changes the DPI for as long as you hold it, as soon as you let go, it returns to default DPI.

Anyway, I love my G402 it's great.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2015
    I used terrible microsoft mice that were probably around ten years old until last one left finally bit the dust. They were pure shit anyways, was glad to finally get rid of them. December last year I bought a Redragon M801. Was only about 30 bucks. It's not the best mouse, it's a laser, but my aim immediately improved between 5% - 10%. I like the weight, like how it feels, but still have issues tracking very fine movements sometimes. The dpi settings are a bit odd too. The software allows you to have 4 presets that you can switch between, but my sweet spot was oddly a mix of 2 settings. And I have a HELL of a time binding the damn side buttons.
    61r-H53RW%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Still 100X better than the shit ones I was using previously.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I have the Zowie EC2 Evo
    Zowie_EC1_eVo_001.jpg

I have really small hands (even for a woman). I had previously used a Razer Deathadder. The first one lasted me ~6 weeks before the thumb button caved in. So Razer replaced it (with a refurbished one). Same thing happened D: I stopped buying Razer and got a Zowie. The EC1 evo is about the same size as a Deathadder, the EC2 is slightly smaller.

I love love love this mouse. I honestly can't say enough good things about it. It feels great, it's easy, there's no bulky software that I have to worry about. It fits my hand wonderfully, and the thumb buttons haven't caved in after 18 months! I will definitely buy Zowie again.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Got the new Abyssus at the moment. The shape is kind of nice and the precision issues should fixed in all newer models. However, I don't exactly love Razer's driver policy so I might be trying out some Zowie stuff at some point.

Apart from the drivers and occassional need for additional buttons, Abyssus has a really nice value to it. Affordable mouse with good precision, no extra nonsense. So far I've been pretty lucky with the Razer durability issues too, nothing has been falling apart right away or anything.

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    You want a mouse with a flawless sensor (no accel or angle snapping).

G400 or Zowie is pretty much the way to go.

I once had a RAT 7, which I loved, but it had terrible jitters if you didn't lift off correctly. It was easy enough to fix, but to be honest, there better be no flaws at all, even if you can fix or mitigate it. You're paying too much money for it. My RAT lasted two years before it finally succumbed to a horrendous smashing after my fade got flashed. Pretty impressive, since the damn thing is made of steel :blush:
    edited July 2015
    This is great guys keep em coming!

One thing I can say about razer software is that I can't really see its use apart from being bloatware that they can peddle the only real use I can see is tweaking the polling rate and saving your macros, that's about it I'd be better off without tbh, anyone remember the legendary Microsoft intellipoint? they were great mice! I swear alot of modern mice derive some of their design from it!
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    My razer deathadder recently died (primary mouse button stopped responding, after a few months of issuing random double-clicks), and had to backup to my old MX518 while deciding what to buy. While I *loved* the MX518, going back to it from the deathadder was a clear downgrade in terms of smoothness and responsiveness.

At the store a gamer girl convinced me to try the Roccat Kone XTD... and I have to say, it's exquisite. Its movement is silky smooth, super responsive, feels great to touch, sits well in the hand and has adjustable weights, which I haven't really used before but found adding a little helped. After using it for a few weeks I think it beats the deathadder for me, even though it's a 'laser mouse'. Note it has wanky lighting effects, like so many 'gamer' products these days, but it's subtle and can be turned off.

Wasn't cheap, $AU85, but as they say you get what you pay for.

Ancillary topic -- what do people use for a mouse pad? I'm currently using a cloth Razer pad but it's so old and crusty now I think it's doing more harm than good.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I'm using a Mionix Sargas 900 for a giant cloth pad. I like hard better, but after switching to lower sense I just need the area more than I need the surface
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited July 2015
    Steelseries Rival ... my only regret is that the rubber grip on the side by the thumb peeled/flaked pretty bad for the first couple months, but its gud now.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    I've been using the Razer Deathadder 2013 for a while now. It's slightly too big and heavy for my hand and the mouse wheel rattles noisily, which is annoying. Otherwise, it's a superb, high quality mouse. I love how I can change my customized DPI levels on the fly when switching between aliens and marines. The G400 felt more comfortable in my hand, but I've gone through two already (first got RMA'd) and they both died within a few months due to the infamous cable issue.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    yHYKYKN.jpg
    That chart is pretty cool and I'm interested in the Zowie FK1/FK2. Low weight, small size, very low lift-off distance, and a stiff mouse wheel. The only disadvantage seems to be a lack of software customization. The fact that the DPI toggle button is located on the bottom of the mouse is funny, but I wouldn't be switching DPI levels in-game. It might force me to decrease my in-game sensitivity below 1.0 for marines, though, which I'm hesitant about. I have a superstition that this engine's in-game sensitivity is best left at 1.0 or slightly higher. Could a dev please confirm whether drastically changing the in-game sens negatively affects aiming?
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2015
    Roccat pure military.

Optical mouse with non interpolated 5000dpi and lift-off distance control.
    sdx9j8p924il.jpg

From pure technical view, the pure military is one of the best optical out there.
    I have not the problems the guy mentioned in the video when it comes to "the feel" of the mouse.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2015
    From ball mice (Genius ftw) in the 90s to Intellimouse Explorer to Deathadders. It's my preferred shape... and the sensor on the 2013 is quite nice.

On the other hand I bought a MX518 back in the day to plug into my school laptop and didn't like the shape of it and the button placements at all. Can't comment on the sensor because I couldn't really get used to it ever. Was nice for pro pwnage in Word, Excel, Powerpoint and light Notepad++ though. And I think I played through Bioshock 1 with it somehow.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Replaced my old Logitech G3 with brand new Logitech G502 few months ago. Very likable mouse. Only thing funny is how I hold the mouse which makes it hard for me to reach all the side buttons with my thumb except the very first one. I kinda hold the mouse diagonally and not straight, with ring finger and pinky resting on the side of the mouse. I guess I could say I have big hands lol :D
  • Martin7Martin7 Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148108Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Martin7 What's that yellow soldering iron looking thing?