Please fix your netcode

2»

Comments

• NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    edited May 2015
    you should've seen how a bad of a group of marines/skulks tries to kill me, i just strafe left and right and they don't even hit me
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    NS-Soldier wrote: »
    you should've seen how a bad of a group of marines/skulks tries to kill me, i just strafe left and right and they don't even hit me

Wait, wait... strafing makes it harder for you to be hit? Wow, you should write a tutorial.

:P
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Lets put things in context. From a check of his post history, he is the guy who started these topics and made this comment.

Also, apart from the top left scoreboard, he isn't even close to being top while those with low pings seem to do fairly well. I do have to admire his cheek at the bottom where he shows half a scoreboard and another where he is so far off the top.

@NS-Soldier
    So, not dominating and no hack accusations despite being on rookie magnet server. Yeah, I don't believe you. 150 isn't even that high of a ping, certainly not high enough to be warping unless that person has an unstable connection, in which case, they might even have just 30 ping. Appreciate you putting in the effort to prove your point, but frankly, your opinion on this is rubbish.

Just pointing out the obvious abused "jump strategy" for all you old school players to scare away all the new players and rookies

as for the warping issue is real, if you ever playing against someone with over 150+ ping in a 1 on 1, you'd see that. hopefully it will be fixed in the future patch.
  • unrenderedunrendered Finland Join Date: 2013-11-07 Member: 189137Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2015
    lag.jpg

LOL you're playing on Wooza's ******* playground?

should I even bother to say anything at this point?
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Just pointing out the obvious abused "jump strategy" for all you old school players to scare away all the new players and rookies

as for the warping issue is real, if you ever playing against someone with over 150+ ping in a 1 on 1, you'd see that. hopefully it will be fixed in the future patch.

Jumping gets rines killed usually. One or two, maybe, but otherwise, you're an easier target and you forfeit aim. I've seen dudes with 30 ping warp too, it's not always latency.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    unrendered wrote: »
    lag.jpg

LOL you're playing on Wooza's ******* playground?

should I even bother to say anything at this point?

Also, note that in every one of the scoreboards the top players have green pings, and they're not even close to "dominating" the game.
    Also also, eww, 32 player servers. No wonder warping happens...
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members

Warping is an actual thing but it happens consistently only with at least 300-400+ ping. Not 150+. Otherwise, its a case of someone with unstable internet and it happens even if someone has nice green ping like 30. Players don't normally warp even with 200+ ping. Possibly not even with 300+ but at that point, its so painful to play that I don't see how anyone would bother if they had other servers to play on.

Honestly, it seems more like you got bested by someone with 150 ping and are carrying out a witch hunt.

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hmmmm... anything above 100 is painfull as you said. But in the mean time higher pings means a longer route (more hops). A longer route means a greater tendancy to see warping occur. Espacially when the return path isn't the same.

Also it would be nice to investigate if low FPS have an effect on it. Is the netcode is waiting for the frame to be drawn (display) or not? Maybe some interesting things would be discovered.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    It is hard to believe that such laggy servers populate a playerbase of 20 up to 50% of all NS2 players
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited May 2015
    From the zealots who brought you "Skill system is good" comes their latest hit: "Netcode is good."

In both cases, critics rave: "The way these forum zealots white-wash blatant, well-documented faults with the game, showing no shame... the mind boggles!" And: "It's hard to find such a devoted bunch of flaw-apologists anywhere in the world." Also: "To these zealots who fight their deluded fight, in the face of evidence, logic, and common sense: we salute your useful idiocy!"

Coming next from the professional commentators of NS2.com/forums: "Playerbase is good," and the much anticipated "Hitreg is good".

:D
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @SupaDupaNoodle who is denying that the netcode has faults? I followed this thread, and skimmed it again after reading your comment, I'm not sure who you are referring to.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Warping is an actual thing but it happens consistently only with at least 300-400+ ping. Not 150+. Otherwise, its a case of someone with unstable internet and it happens even if someone has nice green ping like 30. Players don't normally warp even with 200+ ping. Possibly not even with 300+ but at that point, its so painful to play that I don't see how anyone would bother if they had other servers to play on.

Actually it's common at all pings for certain players. There's a playtester that experiences it consistently at pings from 40 to 400.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Warping is what happens when packets are dropped, not necessarily because of ping. Ping is just the time it takes for a signal to go from the client to the server.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    From the zealots who brought you "Skill system is good" comes their latest hit: "Netcode is good."
    In both cases, critics rave: "The way these forum zealots white-wash blatant, well-documented faults with the game, showing no shame... the mind boggles!" And: "It's hard to find such a devoted bunch of flaw-apologists anywhere in the world." Also: "To these zealots who fight their deluded fight, in the face of evidence, logic, and common sense: we salute your useful idiocy!"
    Coming next from the professional commentators of NS2.com/forums: "Playerbase is good," and the much anticipated "Hitreg is good".
    :D
    Did you know that the "Skill System is Good" thread started out being called "Skill System is Bad." If you read the first post, it is criticizing the skill system. I renamed that thread many times as it evolved, and I settled on "Skill System is Good" because I noticed that title produced better discussion. My favorite name was some play on the distopian book 1984 that I don't remember anymore.
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    @SupaDupaNoodle who is denying that the netcode has faults? I followed this thread, and skimmed it again after reading your comment, I'm not sure who you are referring to.
    This. I can not tell who you are referring to. Quoted for emphasis.
    edited May 2015
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Warping is what happens when packets are dropped, not necessarily because of ping. Ping is just the time it takes for a signal to go from the client to the server.

maybe its people with less 20 fps/sec lol
  • Perman12Perman12 Campuchia Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201130Members
    edited May 2015

Im sorry what you say ? :)

look at my scoreboard , people with 300- 400+ ping are trying to prove your point @NS-Soldier

And they are still "not quite" dominating and "warping" like you said ,i have 60 FPS
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2015

We did have some fun with warp speed, trying to break the game during PT's, when it fpsmax was still a non-cheat command. Just setting it to 1 and basically be invisible/invincible :P But at the same time ya can't do anything productive either. My old non overclocked C2D E6420 back then was kinda restricted to 5-12FPS, when facing of against 4 enemies with 3 friendlies in a highpoly area. So I was warping most of the time anyways B)

So yeah it is more so a client side choke and server side strangle hold. Not so much a latency issue, even though higher/inconsistent latency can be caused by those as well if a rig is choking. This was more so in alpha/beta before all the magical optimisations though...
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Kouji_San wrote: »

We did have some fun with warp speed, trying to break the game during PT's, when it fpsmax was still a non-cheat command. Just setting it to 1 and basically be invisible/invincible :P But at the same time ya can't do anything productive either. My old non overclocked C2D E6420 back then was kinda restricted to 5-12FPS, when facing of against 4 enemies with 3 friendlies in a highpoly area. So I was warping most of the time anyways B)

So yeah it is more so a client side choke and server side strangle hold. Not so much a latency issue, even though higher/inconsistent latency can be caused by those as well if a rig is choking. This was more so in alpha/beta before all the magical optimisations though...

Yeah, but you still killed me with your damn Mines just fine... *shakefist*

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    @McGlaspie not trolling, but lol. So true. Well placed mines = free kills for ppl that can't aim.

me on a PG: watch out for the m<boom>
    other skulk: sorry :-(
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mines are a lerks worst enemy. ...Maybe just my lerk.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    McGlaspie wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Yeah, but you still killed me with your damn Mines just fine... *shakefist*

Ya can't mess with your destiny @McGlaspie, you are the mine hoarder. I mean everyone can hear you running from across the map :D

It sounds like: "mine mine mine MINE MINE MINEMINEMINE" *KABEEEEWM* - evil grin Kouji
    @McGlaspie not trolling, but lol. So true. Well placed mines = free kills for ppl that can't aim.

Shots fired!!! You're going on my list @Cannon_FodderAUS :P
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    wooza wrote: »
    It is hard to believe that such laggy servers populate a playerbase of 20 up to 50% of all NS2 players
    j0Wq1s7.jpg
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    IronHorse said:
    wooza wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    j0Wq1s7.jpg

dont feed the troll ? :D 

Lag players have "human rights" to play you know ? Why must be so hate bro ?