Work Continues! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited May 2015
    Kilo wrote: »
    You cant have space marines with no lasers!

You deeply offend me by dismissing the W40K Space Marines.

49664e776e7c6_featured_without_text_dow2.jpg
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well they do use lascannons from time to time.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    True, but don't forget Orbital Bombardment @coolitic
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    coolitic wrote: »

For those who missed it: Ultramarine (IMDB)
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    IronHorse wrote: »
    [*] Faster load times
    [*] Redplug issue resolved

Could you elaborate on those fixes, specifically the red plug issues, curious if it's a possible fix for my unique & unexplainable issue. Had assistance from both matso & mendasp, something regarding UDP ports going to my PC rather/faster than to my rouder, I'm not sure.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137471

Also, ETA on patch?
    I'd love to start playing again.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2015

And for the followup!

The Lord Inquisitor, an unofficial WH40k animation
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    For anyone who is interested in the trello board that has been mentioned, here is the link. https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker

[*] No promotion of community work. No official stamp -> no map vote -> Summit/Tram/Veil.
    On page 3 of this thread I already explained why I don't think a stamp of approval would make custom maps played more. After rereading your comments from then, I still don't understand why a stamp of approval would change anything. Could you explain what it would change?

corund wrote: »
    Absence of matchmaking and little variety have the biggest impact on player count.
    I can imagine the benefits of matchmaking. It really is a chicken and egg thing though. We need match making for more people, but we don't have enough people to make matchmaking work well. Steam charts shows ns2 at about 225 daily average now. A similar asymmetrical f2p game called nosgoth has about 1200 average daily players. I am very middle skilled in that game and it takes usually 5 plus minutes to be put in a lobby where you may wait another 5 minutes to fill the lobby. My record is 15 minutes waiting to be put in a lobby and 15 minutes waiting in lobby, but that was not at peak times. After all that the balance is very off. My point being that even with 6 times the player count it is not enough to fill out a matchmaking system. The game is still in beta so I have hope it will improve.

not sure exactly what a stamp of approval means but maps being added to the offical map cycle would obviously then be featured on more servers since a lot dont run custom maps still.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    If you looked at page 3, his reply was that some official maps are barely played as it is, so being official doesn't qualify as a "stamp of approval".

I think the only official maps that aren't played (in pubs) are kodiak and eclipse. Outside of the tram/summit/veil cycle, refinery/docking/descent/biodome still gets played regularly. Maybe since UWE doesn't have servers anymore, new official maps won't get the 24/7 treatment* and be shunned.

*Pretty sure refinery/descent weren't 24/7 when released, not sure about biodome.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Lamb wrote: »
    [*] Faster load times

Could you elaborate on those fixes, specifically the red plug issues, curious if it's a possible fix for my unique & unexplainable issue. Had assistance from both matso & mendasp, something regarding UDP ports going to my PC rather/faster than to my rouder, I'm not sure.

Also, ETA on patch?

What Nordic said, also there's this card for loading times, but it does not cover everything that's been worked on in that area.

You know you guys can just CTRL + F on our trello board to search for keywords even if you didnt want to sort through every item, yes?... Would take less time than making a post ;)
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lamb wrote: »
    [*] Faster load times

Also, ETA on patch?

What Nordic said, also there's this card for loading times, but it does not cover everything that's been worked on in that area.

You know you guys can just CTRL + F on our trello board to search for keywords even if you didnt want to sort through every item, yes?... Would take less time than making a post ;)
    Never used Trello, but thanks for the reply, same goes for @Nordic
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ctrl+F is shortcut for "find" in most applications, it's not Trello only. :D
    edited May 2015
    Aeglos wrote: »
    If you looked at page 3, his reply was that some official maps are barely played as it is, so being official doesn't qualify as a "stamp of approval".

I think the only official maps that aren't played (in pubs) are kodiak and eclipse. Outside of the tram/summit/veil cycle, refinery/docking/descent/biodome still gets played regularly. Maybe since UWE doesn't have servers anymore, new official maps won't get the 24/7 treatment* and be shunned.

*Pretty sure refinery/descent weren't 24/7 when released, not sure about biodome.

they would have been played a lot less if they hadnt been made offical, all the maps have been played quite a bit on release, even kodiak. But the novelty eventually wears off of course. Still though these maps are in every servers rotation just about and so naturally still get more play time than any other unofficial mod. If you removed those 2 maps from 2/3 of the servers then obviously the maps would get played a hell of a lot less.

they would have been played a lot less if they hadnt been made offical, all the maps have been played quite a bit on release, even kodiak. But the novelty eventually wears off of course. Still though these maps are in every servers rotation just about and so naturally still get more play time than any other unofficial mod. If you removed those 2 maps from 2/3 of the servers then obviously the maps would get played a hell of a lot less.

On release? Yes. These maps got played. Hard not to, what with it being the only map on rotation on the official servers. Currently? No, unless you exclude eclipse and kodiak. I can't remember the last time I played a game on kodiak or eclipse. You won't get a votemap passed for either of these maps, neither would either map win a server next map vote, so unless the server does default rotation on maps, they wouldn't even be loaded. Not to mention the immediate votemap going up when people realise that they are on kodiak/eclipse.

Its true that custom maps not on rotation wouldn't get played at all on servers that do not include them in their map cycle, but eclipse and kodiak do not get played either. Well sure, once or twice is still infinitely higher than zero, but it is still practically zero. At least, I would think some custom maps get played more than eclipse or kodiak despite being on less servers.

Also, I'm well aware that correlation does not equals causation, but if 24/7 of eclipse/kodiak is what caused the aversion to these maps, being official just might be a "stamp of approval". Couldn't be 4TP because veil has always been popular, nor balance as docking has always been popular through all its iterations.

_INTER_ wrote: »
    Ctrl+F is shortcut for "find" in most applications, it's not Trello only. :D

Meant it as I've never been on UWE trello, didn't even know what it was.
    edited May 2015

On release? Yes. These maps got played. Hard not to, what with it being the only map on rotation on the official servers. Currently? No, unless you exclude eclipse and kodiak. I can't remember the last time I played a game on kodiak or eclipse. You won't get a votemap passed for either of these maps, neither would either map win a server next map vote, so unless the server does default rotation on maps, they wouldn't even be loaded. Not to mention the immediate votemap going up when people realise that they are on kodiak/eclipse.

Its true that custom maps not on rotation wouldn't get played at all on servers that do not include them in their map cycle, but eclipse and kodiak do not get played either. Well sure, once or twice is still infinitely higher than zero, but it is still practically zero. At least, I would think some custom maps get played more than eclipse or kodiak despite being on less servers.

Also, I'm well aware that correlation does not equals causation, but if 24/7 of eclipse/kodiak is what caused the aversion to these maps, being official just might be a "stamp of approval". Couldn't be 4TP because veil has always been popular, nor balance as docking has always been popular through all its iterations.

i still get regular plays on eclipse, few times every week. Not as many on kodiak but its still usually an enjoyable game and makes a nice change from the usual maps. Im at the point now were if the server votes veil im close to leaving and playing on a different one. Played veil far to much.

sometimes i get the chance to play on triad, gorge or caged and often i have a great game or two. Not always and the maps arent exactly balanced but how often are the teams balanced anyway? some great games recently on triad.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I want a new map starting w/ H, dammit. You all know what I'm talking about D:
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Loki wrote: »

anyway FYI regardless if you like or hate kodiak and derelict, I am also hoping to bring you a thrid map also beginning with D

You heard it here first folk. @Loki wants to gives us more "D". I'm personally getting pretty excited.

As for Kodiak, to date it occupies three of my top five most memorable and epic games of Ns2. Bloody hard to defend tech points on that map making for a lot of tech swaps and unpredictable games. so much fun has been had there. I firmly believe it's the best map, I wish it got played more.

Eh, if you guys say so. I probably play either map only once every couple of months compared to at least once every week for every other official map, but thats just me. NS2Stats has been down for awhile so there is no data to look at either, though I'm fairly sure they get played less than the other maps regardless.

*I play veil at least once if I play more than two hours. :s

Anyway, the issue is that for whatever reason, new maps don't get played regularly. The most common reasons are because they aren't official, or are 4TP (per UncleCrunch's crusade against them), or "bad/unbalanced", but there are examples that contradict all these reasons.

As I said above, I'm laying the blame on not being official, and being played 24/7 if official. I'll see how my theory holds up when derelict comes out.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think they were only run 24/7 on uwe official servers, which don't exist anymore. So I'm not sure I see that happening again.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know the extent of planned main menu change that is on trello, but it would be nice to have mod, map, and competitive highlights in some sort of news section. I think that would count as a stamp of approval; it might be a more neutral response than positive though.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Loki wrote: »
    @2cough so do I

I really wish they'd hand the reigns over to you, I know it'd come out a gem. Pushing 3 yrs now, not ever even a testable graybox!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    2cough wrote: »
    I want a new map starting w/ H, dammit. You all know what I'm talking about D:

Just looked up the old "H Map" thread and....it hasn't been updated by its mappers since July 2014.

Just troll bumps to get everyone's hopes up. :(
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited May 2015

You could of warned me it sucked terribly. Now I wasted 9 bucks :(

As for the director,
    b90.jpg
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    perhaps hera will come out with ns3? :)
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    Ayumi (bless you)...

Crack on CDT, no time for forum post.... *cracks whip @Loki xx
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited May 2015

You could of warned me it sucked terribly. Now I wasted 9 bucks :(

As for the director,
    b90.jpg

It has its moments. Like the ritual when preparing armors. The fights are quite accurate if you are a purist. It s not an "A series" but quite acceptable considering that it is a full length movie, it is not a game trailer and it has been finalized. We have more trailers than real products I'm afraid.

So. I have seen worst in this particular genre and outside of it.

@MuckyMcFly well derelict is waiting to ship :) taking a small break before looking at this ns2_d

As for ayumi I did put a fair bit of work in to it a lot that was never released so, I might find a way to re use it in the future :D or even just finish it off lol. Been lacking motivation of late to finish ayumi and shiva off.....