look of the main character

DeepoDeepo lisbon portugal Join Date: 2014-12-20 Member: 200150Members
generally i like the cartoonish look of subnautica. but i have to say i find the main-character overly stylized.
i know we actually only see our own shadow- but looking at my shadow already throws me off a bit.

someone in the steam forum suggested a character-editor (...) but i do not think that subnautica needs a character editor at all but
i would really like to have my main-character / shadow look less like a skinny tall child with silly hair. sorry but thats how my shadow looks to me and i cannot relate much to it.

imo best would be to have a less stylized appearance for the main character and maybe male femal choice. some voice-acting would be cool for the future. similar to the long dark maybe.

Comments

• KodasaKodasa New Zealand Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203545Members

Here you can see the early access trailer, where it actually shows the look of the character... I don't know how much I support the appearance purely because the character looks like a skinny little punk teenager... not a construction worker, scientist, soldier or pilot, the people who would have conceivably been sent aboard a ship designed for terraforming a planet.

He looks more like a child who was born 19 - 20 years ago, while the aurora was in transit, and has grown up by the time it arrives at the planet. Which seems highly unlikely given the message at the start talking about your time spent in cryo-stasis.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    In the 22nd century, perhaps everyone looks like that - perhaps ageing is a thing of the past and this guy is 50 years old - perhaps they have a strict diet to prepare for the voyage. He looks fine to me. Custom characters are only necessary if you are constantly looking at them AND need to differentiate. Neither are the case here.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    While I agree that the character looks a bit silly, there is really no point in changing it until they add multiplayer or at least a third-person view. Also, why would peoples proportions change that much in just 100 years? He dosnt just look too young, he is also just proportioned strangely.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Dunno. The average height of a man changed from 5ft 6in in 1900 to 5ft 10in in 2000.
  • SkizomeuhSkizomeuh France Join Date: 2015-04-29 Member: 203939Members
    Is he really human, to begin with? I don't think so.
  • DeepoDeepo lisbon portugal Join Date: 2014-12-20 Member: 200150Members
    i see some player feel the same - but it is also true that without multiplayer it has no big impact how the character looks.

but like kodasa said- imo the character design just does not seem to fit into the narrative of the game. he really does look like a skinny punk teenager and it is weird.

but probably the target audience for this game are kids so probably we older folks just have to swim with the flow.
    Skizomeuh wrote: »

why would the main-character not be human ???

• KodasaKodasa New Zealand Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203545Members
    Skizomeuh wrote: »

He is most definitely human. it says so in the intro sequence to the game.
    imo it would be best if the player silhouette was more generic.

not too thin not fat- not tall not small not too old nor too young ... no fancy/funny hair just an average human silhouette that every player of every age and gender can relate to

-the choice for male/female would be awesome ofc.

• JP193JP193 UK Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204597Members
    If the devs really got the time and budget to make different character models or even customisation, I would enjoy it. And I do agree here in some aspects.

But really I don't find it that important. The only hint at who you're even playing as (aside trailers) is when you look down and see a skinny male.

I am a little biased because I think he looks awesome, but I don't think it's too big of a problem... I mean look at Mirror's Edge - An 'experienced' runner is a young female with no other player options available.
    And that's a (very good, if small) game where you see yourself in almost every cutscene.

Plus we need to think of how far people would take customisation, or their demands for it. "Why can I only be white?" "Now the Asian colour is too dark, I want a nice golden tone to suggest I'm a colonist from Eastern China."
    i never asked for customization- i and others just say that the current main character looks like a skinny punk-kid and not like a space-traveling scientist.
    its weird and i cant bond with the main char at all.

like i said above : a less stylized silhouette would help, choice for male/female would be better.

detailed character customization is not necessary unless the game gets some kind of co-op or online mode in the future.
  • DchicoteDchicote Germany Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204901Members
    Deepo wrote: »
    imo it would be best if the player silhouette was more generic.

not too thin not fat- not tall not small not too old nor too young ... no fancy/funny hair just an average human silhouette that every player of every age and gender can relate to

-the choice for male/female would be awesome ofc.

Yes, you are right, a female would be very nice ... :)