Work Continues! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    its a good idea, but the bonus would have to be reduced to not be a gamebreaker, and not improves bullet delay, but instead reduces reload time and weapon switch time

because what happens when you give a catpack to a good jetpack marine or exo, which are normally almost unkillable to begin with
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited April 2015
    roxxkatt wrote: »
    its a good idea, but the bonus would have to be reduced to not be a gamebreaker, and not improves bullet delay, but instead reduces reload time and weapon switch time

because what happens when you give a catpack to a good jetpack marine or exo, which are normally almost unkillable to begin with

but the catpack would be purchased and be worn like a jetpack. You wouldnt be able to have an exo and a catpack or a catpack and a jetpack just like you cant have a jetpack and an exo.

the catpack would certainly help keep the marine alive but at 15 res still be a gamble in the wrong situation
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2015

but the catpack would be purchased and be worn like a jetpack. You wouldnt be able to have an exo and a catpack or a catpack and a jetpack just like you cant have a jetpack and an exo.

the catpack would certainly help keep the marine alive but at 15 res still be a gamble in the wrong situation

A catpack makes a marine literally better at everything he or she does. He has more dps because he reloads quicker. He runs faster, so he can run to and from the front lines quicker. He dodges quicker. I would take a catpack over a jp any day.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited April 2015
    Nordic wrote: »

A catpack makes a marine literally better at everything he or she does. He has more dps because he reloads quicker. He runs faster, so he can run to and from the front lines quicker. He dodges quicker. I would take a catpack over a jp any day.

i would certainly take one sometimes, but i can see the use of having a jetpack. much better in certain situations like clearing vents, rushing hives etc.. so the catpack wouldnt dominate i dont think and anything can be balanced with the right amount of pres
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »

i would certainly take one sometimes, but i can see the use of having a jetpack. much better in certain situations like clearing vents, rushing hives etc.. so the catpack wouldnt dominate i dont think and anything can be balanced with the right amount of pres

Similarly, a gl is very useful in clearing vents and hive rushes yet shotguns clearly are the dominant weapon. Gl's do get used, but in most cases a shotgun would honestly be the better choice. The shotgun has more utility and can be used in more scenarios, same as would the catpack backpack.

I even think cat packs are faster than jetpacks. I am not saying it couldn't be balanced, but would be op or nerfed to the ground.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    No to catpacks. NS2 can't handle fast moving things already. You always need to play with quantum effects in mind: almost 1 s difference between what you see and what kills you.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    devel wrote: »
    No to catpacks. NS2 can't handle fast moving things already. You always need to play with quantum effects in mind: almost 1 s difference between what you see and what kills you.

@devel, see my posts on this topic - I agree with your assessment of the quantum effects.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137192/ns2-inspired-related-jokes-lets-collect-them/p2
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Catpacks are godlike when used properly and what I consider to be the effective counter to Onos. Jetpacks just don't work versus good onos after the first time you reveal them, they play overly cautious sometimes which makes them even tougher to kill in some respects whereas a catpack train can come out of nowhere and increases DPS anyway.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    @Cannon_FodderAUS, yes the term 'quantum effects' was taken from your post. But it is an old topic which more accurately named 'bugs in networking code'. I still don't understand how skulk manages to land three bites 450ms each without a reaction from the marine when playing with 70ms ping.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2015
    Hitting slippery-ass marines that know how to sidestep is difficult, with catpacks even moreso. Perma-catpacked marines would be so, SO nasty vs fades and onos. I would love it but I cannot imagine it playing well.

However I do love the image of what it could look like in game, big catpack strapped to a marines back with all the IV tubes pumping bright green fluid straight into the marines neck, his pupils fully dilated.

At least jetpack marines have those points of vulnerability where they are on the floor, or flying in a predictable pattern. Catpack marines are just total assholes though. There's a reason catpacks are 2 res a pop!

In conclusion, please make this a mod and get it up on a popular server so we can play :)
  • krOozekrOoze Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195593Members
    ^ Well, how's that different from how fade works?
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    big catpack strapped to a marines back with all the IV tubes pumping bright green fluid straight into the marines neck, his pupils fully dilated.

Poor gorgies lol. Artist impression:
    bane-featured.jpg
    edited April 2015
    @Cannon_FodderAUS, yes the term 'quantum effects' was taken from your post. But it is an old topic which more accurately named 'bugs in networking code'. I still don't understand how skulk manages to land three bites 450ms each without a reaction from the marine when playing with 70ms ping.

I haven't seen that in so long now. Do you still experience this? I don't know if anything was fixed but it used to happen to me fairly often. I usually have 100+ ping to any US server east of the Rockies too. For me, I usually don't notice the first bite, but I almost always notice the second bite, whether not I react to it is a different question.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2015

@devel @Nordic
    Lol, as the skulk at the giving end of this equation (playing EU server from Australia), I have no idea what you are talking about :P

A more scientific mind would say, the quantum delay between the skulk's reality compared to the Marine's is very different. Where in the skulk is on a stretched time (450ms) compared to 70ms. To facilitate this 380ms difference, according to Time dilation effect (itself a product of relativity theory, but has been experimentally proven), a subject's time is affected by gravity or velocity as it affects the space-time continuum. Being as the skulk in question is not affected by gravity, then surely only velocity applies. So to facilitate this difference in ping, the skulk is moving faster to compensate, hence the marine doesn't realize it is dead because the skulk is obviously moving faster (approaching closer to the speed of light).

So yeah, nothing to do with net code, it is a restraint set by the laws of physics.
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    When i see this topic :"Work Continues + !" :D

Can i request developers team at least making something so we "new player" dont have to sit all day in one "low ping" server and cant find any players to join ?
    ( maybe Global chat channel ? to shoutout with other that im joinning this server ?)

All we have to deal with this game NS2 now is : "Play with 300 + ping in 24/42 players laggy as hell server"

Or "Play in low ping server with 1/18 slot" - 10 hours later >> no one join cuz they already join those 24/42 player laggy server ==' ?
  • Perman12Perman12 Campuchia Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201130Members
    ZeroEarTh wrote: »

Can i request developers team at least making something so we "new player" dont have to sit all day in one "low ping" server and cant find any players to join ?
    ( maybe Global chat channel ? to shoutout with other that im joinning this server ?)

All we have to deal with this game NS2 now is : "Play with 300 + ping in 24/42 players laggy as hell server"

Or "Play in low ping server with 1/18 slot" - 10 hours later >> no one join cuz they already join those 24/42 player laggy server ==' ?

Finally >>> BRO FIST :P

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Add in-game irc client!!!!
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    I thought the things you're spewing should be noted as "cool things to have in a future game", and not considered as alterations to the current game mechanics..
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

As has been stated many times before, there is so little player activity in your area, that is your problem. There's not a thing the devs can put in the game to magically make SEA have thousands more players.

• simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    where's the build machine?!
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hitting slippery-ass marines that know how to sidestep is difficult, with catpacks even moreso. Perma-catpacked marines would be so, SO nasty vs fades and onos. I would love it but I cannot imagine it playing well.

However I do love the image of what it could look like in game, big catpack strapped to a marines back with all the IV tubes pumping bright green fluid straight into the marines neck, his pupils fully dilated.

At least jetpack marines have those points of vulnerability where they are on the floor, or flying in a predictable pattern. Catpack marines are just total assholes though. There's a reason catpacks are 2 res a pop!

In conclusion, please make this a mod and get it up on a popular server so we can play :)

Who said it was plugged into the neck ???
    (Right now; you can't un-see the mental image you just created in your mind. It will probably last 2 days at least...)
    edited April 2015
    latest?cb=20120511112335

strawberries are an excellent source of fiber
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @perman12 what do you disagree with? It's a fact that there's like no player activity over there. Devs cant fix that.
  • Perman12Perman12 Campuchia Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201130Members
    Match making will solve these problem , many Steam games that have indie developers have proved that

If NS2 CDT developers want , they can do it
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited April 2015
    So much for the 'great community' I heard so much about ...

*Snip* No naming and shaming please. -Ironhorse
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Maybe we need tutorials for rookies on how to use the voting system because rookies are all collectively retarded and tutorials are the cure for everything, including aids.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited April 2015
    *Snip*
    You were warned. Twice.
    -Ironhorse
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2015
    I have another one ...

Plus, wow, an aid diss, very mature. Yet you are a server owner? I think someone needs to give back the million dollars they tricked people into paying.

Think you may need to check for sarcasm. What has being a server operator got to do with anything and what is that screenshot about?