ns2_caged

Comments

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Personally I think that's all backwards. The game was designed and balanced around maps like Tram, aka the smallest map in ns2 right now. ARC spots shouldn't be avoided in maps, they just need to be managed. What's the point in having that entire branch of marine technology if none of the maps let you use it? The idea is to force aliens to attack, rather than forcing marines to enter the hive room. The only time that's a problem is when you can ARC stuff from across the map (ie Cross -> Atrium upgrades).

Personally, I find that large maps hurt marines. Aliens have a huge speed advantage, so making maps smaller works in favor of marines. Phase gates are sort of a wild card in that equation. Personally, I don't think the map should be designed in such a way that PGs are required for marines to win. It seems to me that the tech is designed to help marines get more map control, but if the map is so large that to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time requires bypassing half of it with a phase gate... not a fan of this. It makes PGs way too important. That PG goes down, marines start "gg"-ing. Suddenly a game about managing you and your enemy's economies and keeping an eye on those routes has become a game of "watch central, mine it up real good, because it's GG if we lose that one room".

Maybe it wasn't clear enough. "Small" as 4 TPs maps. Veil, Eclipse, Kodiak. When you loose something critical (no matter the travel time), the GG clock is ticking. I (also) have seen that on Caged with SCC. You know when it's bad 5 minutes before it just ends. Well... if you know; where's the fun ? What would add some more options ? 5th hive ? why not ?

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    Personally I think that's all backwards. The game was designed and balanced around maps like Tram, aka the smallest map in ns2 right now. ARC spots shouldn't be avoided in maps, they just need to be managed. What's the point in having that entire branch of marine technology if none of the maps let you use it? The idea is to force aliens to attack, rather than forcing marines to enter the hive room. The only time that's a problem is when you can ARC stuff from across the map (ie Cross -> Atrium upgrades).

Personally, I find that large maps hurt marines. Aliens have a huge speed advantage, so making maps smaller works in favor of marines. Phase gates are sort of a wild card in that equation. Personally, I don't think the map should be designed in such a way that PGs are required for marines to win. It seems to me that the tech is designed to help marines get more map control, but if the map is so large that to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time requires bypassing half of it with a phase gate... not a fan of this. It makes PGs way too important. That PG goes down, marines start "gg"-ing. Suddenly a game about managing you and your enemy's economies and keeping an eye on those routes has become a game of "watch central, mine it up real good, because it's GG if we lose that one room".

Maybe it wasn't clear enough. "Small" as 4 TPs maps. Veil, Eclipse, Kodiak. When you loose something critical (no matter the travel time), the GG clock is ticking. I (also) have seen that on Caged with SCC. You know when it's bad 5 minutes before it just ends. Well... if you know; where's the fun ? What would add some more options ? 5th hive ? why not ?

5TP tram is the smallest map... and you were talking about arc distances and # of res nodes, none of which is really determined by TP count. (Kodiak is the biggest map, North-to-South that is...)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    5TP tram is the smallest map... and you were talking about arc distances and # of res nodes, none of which is really determined by TP count. (Kodiak is the biggest map, North-to-South that is...)

It's not only about size but options. Any 4 TP map only require 2D thinking. 5TPs maps are closer to 3D thinking. You have options. The basic ingredient to strategy.

BTW on Tram you can "early ARC" 3 to 4 RTs by controlling a single area.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    A couple of big changes, some of which experimental.

CHANGELOG [11th of january 2014]
    o Replaced Bypass with Auxiliary Generator (without its res node)
    o Rotated Stability 90 degrees clockwise
    o Moved That One Hallway and Generator closer into the map now that Auxiliary Generator has been moved
    o Created a new res node alcove at the That One Hallway side of Stability
    o Created a new ramp connecting Stability and That One Hallway
    o Moved Upper Wasteflow res node to Sanitation Control
    o Added new res node to Lower Wasteflow

There's a ton of greybox textures about the place, though major surfaces should all be textured. It's not an issue, I just didn't want to waste time texturing every little trim.

The Sanitation Control/Lower Wasteflow RTs might be too close together, we'll see how it plays out. Didn't have time to overhaul that area before tonight's SCC testing.

EDIT: Derp, left the Aux Gen RT in there. Hotfixed nao!

J2ym4oD.jpg
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Looks really good. Hopefully doing some scrims on it soonish. ^^
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Flaterectomy‌ The latest changes make a lot of sense. Looking forward to play it soon.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Awesome, let me know how the games play out. I've had just a few games on this build myself, and I've not yet made my mind up about it yet, so (as always) any and all feedback is very welcome.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Please pitch this map to UWE @Flaterectomy‌ , its begging to be released, such a great map!
    This week's build:

CHANGELOG [18th of january 2014]
    o Re-greyboxed Upper Wasteflow with a room layout change and preparation for detailing
    o Turned the connection between western Central Processing and Purification into a separate location called Squiggle (for now, submissions for better names are welcome)
    o Moved the Lower Wasteflow res node a little bit further into its recess

WhJQfjk.jpg

Upper Wasteflow now sports a glass bridge to lengthen the route a little. I may have to add a vent or something for aliens to have an alternative way of getting in there. Whether this is necessary is my question to you all. :D It's not detailed, but here are pictures anyway.
    tWEb2Ov.jpg
    UqS416m.jpg
    isqt68t.jpg
    uTsBPjb.jpg

• MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited January 2015
    Looking great, that room is not ugly anymore, despite the greyboxes. We'll se how it plays out though
    I left in some collision geometry on the stairs in Upper Wasteflow because I am super smart. I decided to dumb myself down a bit and remove the errant collision geometry. Yay, hotfix!
    No new build today, so here's a sneak peek:

8LHhtxV.jpg

Sanitation needed to be more marine friendly, so i extended the room towards Upper Wasteflow, raised the big pipes, and stuck the res node in the center of the room. I expect that I have to address the LOS into Upper Wasteflow next.
    Wow... what a LOS...
    Good bye lerks...
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    No new build today, so here's a sneak peek:

8LHhtxV.jpg

Sanitation needed to be more marine friendly, so i extended the room towards Upper Wasteflow, raised the big pipes, and stuck the res node in the center of the room. I expect that I have to address the LOS into Upper Wasteflow next.

i like this change should make defending this rt abit easier which is a good thing since marines lose this rt a lot.
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    It's looking brilliant Flat. Can't wait to see how it plays, it did need a little opening there was a lot of close combat in that area.

Now hurry with a update!
    edited April 2015
    really like the new work flat. Only thing i dont like is those blue pillars from veil in sewers. Perhaps if you could get them re-textured they wouldnt look so out of place. or build them up a bit with geometry
    edited April 2015
    @deathshroud Yeah, I've been considering changing the colour myself. Not an immediate priority, but definitely on my to-do-list.

EDIT: I just published a hotfix to turn some ceiling geometry in Generator commander invisible.
    A little one!

CHANGELOG [3rd of may 2015]
    o Added collision geometry to the lower floor in Sewer for smoother movement
    o Further detailing in Sewer and a tiny bit in Upper Wasteflow
    o Placed a glass window in the Squiggle - Purification hallway
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    can you move the DAT-1 text a bit further left so it is better visible that the RT belongs to that room?
    Occlusion geometry shouldn't be in glass walls.
    j2wek0x5cm69.jpg

There are 2 marines in there.
    p7kop1jthm60.jpg

Yeah, fixed in my local build, will publish tonight.
    Fixes and tweaks!

CHANGELOG [5th of may 2015]
    o Fixed occlusion geometry issue in the glass window of the Squiggle - Purification hallway
    o Reduced depth of the alcove at the northern end of Access
    o Completed detailing Access ceiling
    o Threw a brick through the glass in the Upper Wasteflow bridge
    o Removed Onos stuck spot at Monitoring powernode
    o Renamed Marine Start to Main Hold
    o Moved DAT-1 text on minimap slightly westward
    o Fixed various small holes in Access and the Ready Room
    o Apparently the Ready Room needed a pink wall? :(
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    o Apparently the Ready Room needed a pink wall? :(

finish the ready room...
    What, the pink wall isn't sufficient to call it complete? :(
    What, the pink wall isn't sufficient to call it complete? :(

if you are painting 1 wall pink then you need to paint the whole room pink :(