Obscure tips/tricks thread!

2»

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    When marines jump uphill they get a speed boost, so chaining jumps on continually higher surfaces brings a big speed boost. Aliens get a boost downhill..

Find a nice flat area in the ready room, and you can bunny hop as a marine to get speeds faster than even the speedy lerk. I tried this out in a test map, and managed to get up to 30.0 horizontal speed. :D
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Eggs have a taunt AND a chuckle
    Press G to "drop"/hatch your victory egg in the ready room.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Eggs have a taunt AND a chuckle
    Press G to "drop"/hatch your victory egg in the ready room.

This also goes for Exos.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    - Gorge slide is faster on infestation.
    - You can evolve in tunnels by jumping on one of the mushroom objects
    - To chain jumps together as skulk, while you're in the air you can hold space and you will automatically jump when you hit the ground
    - At res towers, place clogs on cysts to make it harder/longer for marines to take down a tower.

Will post more when I think of them.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    Kalopsia wrote: »

I don't think the slide is actually faster, it's just that the Gorge will lose less velocity while sliding on infestation. Which does mean it will get to wherever it's going faster though, of course. The initial max speed is the same though so it's (technically) not faster per se.

Sorry, it's just me being pedantic with words.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    d4rkAlf wrote: »
    Kalopsia wrote: »

I don't think the slide is actually faster, it's just that the Gorge will lose less speed while sliding on infestation. Which does mean it will get to wherever it's going faster though, of course. The initial max speed is the same though so it's (technically) not faster per se.

Sorry, it's just me being pedantic with words.

lol. You may be right, I just see it as the gorge gets from point A to point B faster :P

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2015
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    When marines jump uphill they get a speed boost, so chaining jumps on continually higher surfaces brings a big speed boost. Aliens get a boost downhill..

Find a nice flat area in the ready room, and you can bunny hop as a marine to get speeds faster than even the speedy lerk. I tried this out in a test map, and managed to get up to 30.0 horizontal speed. :D

Yeah, this is because the ready room marine doesn't have slow on land, or weapon weight scalars or any of the other restrictions in game. Ready room movement is the marine movement without all the slow downs implemented.

It is actually pretty decent and once I remove all slow-downs from marines, it is a great starting point of development in my own mods.
  • krOozekrOoze Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195593Members
    edited February 2015
    9) You will exit g-hole facing the direction oposite to where entry tunnel is from you (like the arrow is displayed in the map). You can change your direction by steping out of the tunnel backwards or to side.
    10) Poison messes with turrets aiming. Stomp destroys mines and temporarily disables turrets.
    11) AAAnd cheating specials: NS2 have drawing distance. Somwhere you can shoot as lerk, without marines seeing you (you wont see them drawn either, but can still do damage shooting blind)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    krOoze wrote: »
    10) Poison messes with turrets aiming. Stomp destroys mines and temporarily disables turrets.

Didn't know about spores doing that.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thought it was umbra that did that?
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    someone test the spore thing.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    11) AAAnd cheating specials: NS2 have drawing distance. Somwhere you can shoot as lerk, without marines seeing you (you wont see them drawn either, but can still do damage shooting blind)

Where?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2015
    It was always spores, not umbra, that ruined turrets aiming.
    It was a feature before umbra was a thing.
  • krOozekrOoze Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195593Members
    edited February 2015
    @coolitic Pretty much everywhere, where you get enough distance (I think the distance is map dependent). Good example would be from Upper rapids to Northern biosphere in Kodiac. Just try it yourself. Go into sandbox game, buy jetpack, put alien on the metal stairs there("give onos" in console), then fly away while looking at it all the way up to the wall(if necassary) in Upper rapids. On some point the onos disappears and reappears if you get closer. You can still damage it even when you cant see it.

There are more useful places, but I am not telling you. It is exploit and as such cheating. Don't.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @coolitic Pretty much everywhere, where you get enough distance (I think the distance is map dependent). Good example would be from Upper rapids to Northern biosphere in Kodiac. Just try it yourself. Go into sandbox game, buy jetpack, put alien on the metal stairs there("give onos" in console), then fly away while looking at it all the way up to the wall(if necassary) in Upper rapids. On some point the onos disappears and reappears if you get closer. You can still damage it even when you cant see it.

There are more useful places, but I am not telling you. It is exploit and as such cheating. Don't.

This is even more prevalent in siege / custom maps where they have large distances, amount of exos you can spike from a distance without them being rendered is mad lulz bro.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    How to drive Marines mad as a Gorge: If a lone Marine is chasing you, enter your tunnel but stay close to the entrance. Once he gets in jump out again and quickly detroy the entrance (or play the hop in / out game for a while) :D
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I assume projectiles coming at you still get drawn correct?
    coolitic wrote: »
    I assume projectiles coming at you still get drawn correct?

yes.