Onos, Onoses, Onii. The Eternal Question.

Comments

• RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Then why it is written down as "Onos" then? If it was some specific language example (like the french "skip" letter X at the end when spelling), then the rest would also be spelled differently than written down.

For me Onos is the same as Decoy said. Onos is onos for singular and plural like it is "sheep". And you say the letter S at the end.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    It has been forever known as Oni for the past 10 years, since declared so by our mighty overlord and benefactor.

For those of use that have been here for a while, this isn't even a question. I can't believe these young whippersnappers would dare to countermand our Overlord and suggest he may be wrong...

What is happing to the organisation today, people think they can question our great leader, he whose Word is Law?

It is time to stand up, be counted and remove the new ne'er do'wells who are bringing the Word of our supreme @Flayra into question.

There is only one.

It is Oni.

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2015
    Language is a bit like the khaara race. It evolves and adapts. As much of a traditionalist as I can be, Onos pl seems very fitting (and probably the most commonly used one I hear in game)
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited February 2015
    Therius wrote: »
    Some Latin masculine words ending in -us get the Latin plural suffix -i (dominus; domini), and this is where English, too, derives most of its -i plural suffices. Latin loan words such as cactus are correctly inflected as cacti when pluralised, although one could argue that it is unnecessary to import grammatical features along with the word just to appear 'correct'.

However, onos is not a Latin word, and should not be inflected using Latin declensions. Furthermore, there is no regular declension ending in -os in Latin, so even an overzealous inflectionist would not pluralise the word with the suffix -i. This is a case of hypercorrection, where poor understanding of grammatical rules and a great desire to appear formal and educated lead to erroneous results.

May a hundred onoses devour your CC.

Exactly!

The problem here is over-correction by most native-English speakers (including the game-creator) resulting from a lack of understanding of the basic precepts of pluralization in English and Latin.

This is a variant on the case of the "John of Arc". For reference, this was when Reddog declared that a long-surviving single arc which proved pivotal to a marine win during a competitive match was "John of Arc", when he was trying to invoke the memory of ancient French icon "Joan of Arc," (who was similarly pivotal to the French victory over the English domination during the Hundred Years' War of 1337-1453 ) with subsequent nonsense spreading throughout the ns2-world referring to hero Arcs as "John" and requiring much re-education on my part wherever and whenever this occurred.

TL;DR - kids: learn yo' English grammar. Stay in school.

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No option for OH SH*T, poll fails
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    tumblr_muta6cTXm71sjpemmo1_500.gif
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I know it's correctly called multiple oni, but I just like saying onoses better.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What's worse is when people call a singular Onos "an Oni." I propose we start saying "los Oños" for clarity.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2015
    This is starting to turn into a good list for banning people \:D/
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    They're getting closer! You...need...to...countervote...
    edited February 2015
    Pelargir wrote: »

It'll be hilarious if it stay even like this. then what are we gonna do...

Onisesoi?
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Pelargir wrote: »

It'll be hilarious if it stay even like this. then what are we gonna do...

Onisesoi?

35 / 35. I'm gonna kill myself.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm sure the Onii voters have nothing against beeing counted to Oni
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    I'm sure the Onii voters have nothing against beeing counted to Oni
    let's just turn it around...

Oniᴉ
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    The inclusion of the "Onii" option was just an elaborate ploy to determine who in the ns2 community is clinically insane. Kouji, Auron... brace yourselves. Men in white coats have been dispatched to your location to take you away to the nearest mental asylum. It's for your own good.

Anyway, expanding on the "Onos" option - I think singular "Onos" should be pronounced with a short O (e.g. "boss"), and the plural should be pronounced with a long O (e.g. "dose").
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    The inclusion of the "Onii" option was just an elaborate ploy to determine who in the ns2 community is clinically insane. Kouji, Auron... brace yourselves. Men in white coats have been dispatched to your location to take you away to the nearest mental asylum. It's for your own good.

Anyway, expanding on the "Onos" option - I think singular "Onos" should be pronounced with a short O (e.g. "boss"), and the plural should be pronounced with a long O (e.g. "dose").

lol.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited February 2015
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    The only one that it absolutely shouldn't be is "Onii". Why two i's? Doesn't make sense.

There's a logical case to be made for oni, as Latin, and I assume many Latin-derived languages, sometimes end their plurals in 'i'. However, it just sounds awkward to say out loud.

Onoses works. However, 'Onos' as a plural just sounds the best. "A herd of onos" or "Multiple onos in base" - it just rolls off the tongue. Replace "Onos" with the others in those quotes. Onoses sounds okay, but not ideal. Oni/Onii just sounds like you're trying to be unnecessarily clever at the cost of it sounding weird.

As Decoy said - it's like sheep. Or lego.

Also, the singlular Onos is derived from the term "OH NOES". It makes sense that the plural of that is also "OH NOES" - not "OH NOESES" or "OH NI" or "OH NII".

I agree about the Onii being dumb. That would be pronounced "own-ee-eye", which is probably the worst thing you could come up with.

There are of course real examples where it works, gladius-gladii is the one I can think of. I believe it's because the latin "us" becomes "i" while the original i remains. Onos has neither a "us" nor an "i-", so why would it end up with 2 of them?

The problem I have with "Oni" is that it is easily misunderstood by less experienced players. The base word changes enough that people might not immediately recognize what the hell you are talking about, which is especially bad because if you need to call out multiple Onos everyone really needs to know right the fuck now.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2015
    I considered it, but couldn't because it would de-balance the vote. (everyone would have picked it)
    Oh sh*t is something you say under stress, not in casual conversation.

Also, the Onii thing was meant to be more of as kouji san put it, Oh NEEE. Instead of Oh NEye which would be the Oni. You're putting this shit into google translate arent you (or some other voicerer)? Just for flaricication. (PUT THAT IN)

Onos, isn't, english, Stop putting Silly english inflections upon the word, Jeeze. Think with your ears.
    edited February 2015
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    I considered it, but couldn't because it would de-balance the vote. (everyone would have picked it)

Also, the Onii thing was meant to be more of as kouji san put it, Oh NEEE. Instead of Oh NEye which would be the Oni. You're putting this shit into google translate arent you (or some other voicerer)? Just for flaricication. (PUT THAT IN)

Onos, isn't, english, Stop putting Silly english inflections upon the word, Jeeze. Think with your ears.

But onos is English, as much as the words lerk and exo and google and iphone and selfie and bling and rekt and stronk. It became an English word as soon as it was created by English-speaking game developers.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still sticking with Space Cow/s on this one!
    Yeah but @Obraxis, here's the thing...
    Obby: Watch out!!! Onos!
    Me: Pfft, just one, we got this man don't worry about it...
    Obby: No, Onos!
    Me: Yeah, I said that's not a proble....

...Those are more than one Obby!!!

Well, good job Obby... You just got us killed >:P

@d0ped0g
    Plot twist... My coat is white :>
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Obraxis wrote: »
    And if you want to get technical, Onos is not a Latin second declension noun, so there is no reason it would be pluralized with -i.
    Hmmph, maybe YOURS aren't. My Onii are the Triarii of a Legion.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    I argue for Oni that in the distant future, the english language will have evolved. Thanks to the power of nanites, space english© now has a plural -i for certain words.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Shouldn't the poll say:
    Multiple Onos
    Onoses
    Onii
    Oni

After all, the point of those other three words is to describe more than one. The shortcoming of just Onos is that it requires an extra word.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    AurOn2 wrote: »

Oni is oh-nee. Pronounced the same as the Japanese Demons. Onii has to be different or there would be no point in discussion, I don't think we are here to quibble over spelling of homophones. So it becomes ow nee eye, just like latin originated words that take the double ii.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    @d0ped0g
    Plot twist... My coat is white :>

Whoa :O That's some Shutter-Island level twist right there:
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited February 2015
    So since I agree with @Obraxis that Onii is not for today's english, and with @Kouji_San that just onos makes it harder to differentiate between plural and singular, I propose the usage of Onos/Onoses.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Changing Onos to Oni to me a native English speaker appears to be grammatically incorrect, especially when there are many examples that can be cited with other animals ending in the letter 'S'.

You wouldn't say 'Multiple Dogi'. You say 'Multiple Dogs'.

WTF!!!??!?!?! When the hell did DOG start ending with an S in the singular?

A Dog, Some Dogs
    An Onos, Some Oni

How are they even related??
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Oni is oh-nee. Pronounced the same as the Japanese Demons. Onii has to be different or there would be no point in discussion, I don't think we are here to quibble over spelling of homophones. So it becomes ow nee eye, just like latin originated words that take the double ii.

No, In Japanese Oni is oh-nee, in NS2, Oni is oh-nye.

A note to all who chip in with real language examples:

The words are fictitious, and are used in a fantasy environment to describe fictitious creatures.

You fail for trying to correct Art..