Onos, Onoses, Onii. The Eternal Question.

AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS!Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
edited February 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
Since we obviously need a poll for democracies sake, and to prove @Decoy Wrong... ITS ONII, DAMNIT.

Discuss.

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Well, in economics, when quantity demanded decreases, the onus is on the producer...
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    It officially, UWE acknowledged is called Oni. Flayra apparently said so himself. Could be Onii aswell, I'm not sure ask @IronHorse, he was at the source. But certainly not Onos or Onoses.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The game's designer and creator says its Oni. He named the damn things..

And that's basically the only argument I need.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    The only one that it absolutely shouldn't be is "Onii". Why two i's? Doesn't make sense.

There's a logical case to be made for oni, as Latin, and I assume many Latin-derived languages, sometimes end their plurals in 'i'. However, it just sounds awkward to say out loud.

Onoses works. However, 'Onos' as a plural just sounds the best. "A herd of onos" or "Multiple onos in base" - it just rolls off the tongue. Replace "Onos" with the others in those quotes. Onoses sounds okay, but not ideal. Oni/Onii just sounds like you're trying to be unnecessarily clever at the cost of it sounding weird.

As Decoy said - it's like sheep. Or lego.

Also, the singlular Onos is derived from the term "OH NOES". It makes sense that the plural of that is also "OH NOES" - not "OH NOESES" or "OH NI" or "OH NII".
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2015
    Also.. @AurOn2 You made the poll incorrectly

It should just be "Oni" .. not "multiple Oni"
    Who says multiple Oni?.. Oni already denotes "multiple"... It would make sense if you used "multiple" with the inappropriate "Onos" however.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    The only one that it absolutely shouldn't be is "Onii". Why two i's? Doesn't make sense.

Aliens!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    @ironhorse, language is a fickle beast. As old generations, some say the greatest gamer generation, move on the new generation redefines things. It may of been oni in natural selection, but it seems in this day an age multiple onos is the new plural.

It's just Onos. Like sheep, moose, or deer. A herd of sheep, a murder of crows, a stomp of onos. As @decoy says, it just works!
    Nordic wrote: »
    It may of been oni in natural selection, but it seems in this day an age multiple onos is the new plural.
    Why? Because it's currently in the lead in the poll with 6 total votes? Your sample size is lacking.. hehe

Not that it matters anyways. Flayra could have named it Onoseseses for plural (poor grammar nazis..) and that basically is just the end of it. ;)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    It may of been oni in natural selection, but it seems in this day an age multiple onos is the new plural.
    Why? Because it's currently in the lead in the poll with 6 total votes? Your sample size is lacking.. hehe

Not that it matters anyways. Flayra could have named it Onoseseses for plural (poor grammar nazis..) and that basically is just the end of it. ;)
    I feel confident it will win. Those voting for onii are just throwing their votes away for funny.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    I am so biased on this subject.

That said I almost never go Onos.
    edited February 2015
    58684978.jpg
    Anyone else getting this vibe from those who claim the plural is oni?

Oni goes against all that is democracy. Onos is democracy.

"This is not an imageboard"
    WHEW So glad you gave me a chance to do something more than the disagree button. Enjoy the spoiler maze. :)<3 you
    -Iron
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2015

I feel confident it will win. Those voting for onii are just throwing their votes away for funny.

This is a SERIOUS MATTER.

WHY IS MULTIPLE ONOS WINNING?! I AM CONFUSE!

Also @IronHorse i was trying to keep the whole theme, for any persons who might stroll upon the poll, and not know what it's about. Just incase, they vote incorrectly.

And yes, Two i's is necessary.

@McGlaspie Space-cow isn't plural. Rawr. It's a detail for another matter.

I could also add "A Stomp" (god that's good) But that's also a detail for another matter: What do we call a HERD OF ONII?! (another day, gentlemen. another day.)

OH FUCK. I FORGOT THE "OH 5HIT" THING. MY LIFE IS END.
    Themes be damned! it's skewing the results!
    I've never said "Multiple Oni!" just like I don't say "ATM machine!"...oh..wait, maybe I do say that sometimes..
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I'm trying to mitigate any damage from stray pollers.
    Safe polling.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Onii would be pronounced like OH-NEE-EYE if you're going all binomial nomenclature and stuff about it. Oni (oh-nee) sounds best IMO.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2015
    the funny thing is though, popularity doesn't change "facts" of oni/onii of what our evil overlord Flayra has prophesied :)>- I just like the second better, cause it feels right even though it might not be correct one :P

Also @Nordic
    edited February 2015
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    the funny thing is though, popularity doesn't change "facts" of oni/onii of what our evil overlord Flayra has prophesied :)>- I just like the second better, cause it feels right even though might not be correct one :P

Also @Nordic
    I guess I am wrong. With yours and auron2's usual fun loving behavior I figured you were choosing it more because it was the oddball.

So wait, your a democracy hating forumer too! Popularity is everything! DEMOCRACY!!!

Don't tell me you also are one of these:
    58684978.jpg

Anyone who thinks the plural of onos is not just onos, is an oni nazi.

Glad I could use godwins law early on in this discussion
    edited February 2015
    Haha nah man, I'm just saying if popularity was the deciding factor on which we base our facts...... Besides, a mustache I do not really care for...

Also the almighty @Flayra has spoken the word of what is and shall be :-S

And if that don't work... nanites *flies away*
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    41% said Multiple Onos, so we're right.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am glad my initial question has generated some debate :)>- ( but damn, we must be bored to waste time on this instead of playing the game...). :-/
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    I don't think the game's designer says x is a valid argument. We are talking about grammar. With an -os ending, you do not change it to -i for plurarl. Onoses all the way! But I will compromise for "onos" being both singular and plural, like we do for sheep.
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    edited February 2015
    how long does the majority of a population need to use a word or phrase incorrectly before it becomes correct?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_plurals

the english language steals words from other languages, and then gets dumbed down over time.
    as you can see, the wikipedia page mentions "cactuses and viruses", both of which are the product of dumb people

and the words ending in US such as radius or virus ends plurally in II, such as radii or virii because the words are actually greek
    http://www.biomedicaleditor.com/spelling-tip-latin.html
    note that onos ends in OS and not US

The game's designer and creator says its Oni. He named the damn things..
    And that's basically the only argument I need.

so according to you i can create a game about a lot of ducks and call it gooses serieses, and i will be correct?
    thenks for your wisdome ironhorsii
    Pelargir wrote: »
    41% said Multiple Onos, so we're right.
    so if we all get together and get a 51% vote that pi is exactly three, does that make it correct?

also, i voted for multiple onos as per sheep -> sheep, but my vote seems to have changed and theres no way to fix it >_>
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited February 2015
    @roxxkatt, your message is confusing me even more.

Anyway, in France, nobody says Onoses. Even less Oni.

EDIT: okay, if you voted for Onos, it makes more sense.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    Also you need to add Oni and Onii votes.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Some Latin masculine words ending in -us get the Latin plural suffix -i (dominus; domini), and this is where English, too, derives most of its -i plural suffices. Latin loan words such as cactus are correctly inflected as cacti when pluralised, although one could argue that it is unnecessary to import grammatical features along with the word just to appear 'correct'.

However, onos is not a Latin word, and should not be inflected using Latin declensions. Furthermore, there is no regular declension ending in -os in Latin, so even an overzealous inflectionist would not pluralise the word with the suffix -i. This is a case of hypercorrection, where poor understanding of grammatical rules and a great desire to appear formal and educated lead to erroneous results.

May a hundred onoses devour your CC.
    Sorry, they can't. Said Hundred Onii are too busy ramming their knees into Your CC.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited February 2015
    If it were a greek word, the plural could be Onoi, yet another version: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinetron, community.middlebury.edu/~harris/GreekTags.html

Fun fact: the term "Oni" already exists as a singular and plural: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oni. There's even more on the disambiguation page...

But do we really care? It's a game with made-up creatures and made-up words. IMO since the developers made up the word, they can as well invent a plural-exception for it. Languages love exceptions, e.g. woman / women.