Build 273 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
  • AdrenalineGamerAdrenalineGamer Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175175Members
    hi...
    my opinion of Patch 273 after 5 houers Competetive and some houer Public:

Worst Hitreg since long time

Sick Performance leaks

Blackscreen crashs

Some ppl cant connect even if they Redownload / Verify / Erasing the roaming NS2 folders / Workshop unsubscribe

the Multiplay servers going Nuts (strong lags)

If good or rookie all ppl suffer from this its really on the edge to be playable in a nice way and thats sad because we all luv to play NS2 when its working halfway proper

Thx watchin
  • AdrenalineGamerAdrenalineGamer Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175175Members
    and im on a i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz Windows 7
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some mods don't load properly on my end and I have to close game, end NS2.exe process, rejoin, pray. Just happened with NS2_Caged. Fortunately for the server, it only happened to me.

I wish I didn't have so many problems getting custom game modes + maps to work consistently.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    Nice to know there's a hotfix coming but I would like to ask and it might have been mentioned in the thread already but, onos does half damage to structures and axe does half damage to structures. Welders I also think don't get a damage bonus against cysts now but that's still undecided (im offline atm and its late). Is the CDT aware of this or is it just me?

We are aware. This was a bug and has been rectified in the hotfix.

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I think i'm starting to see some method to the madness.
  • G_of_the_JG_of_the_J Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186764Members
    Is there something odd with Flamethrower aswell or is it just nerfed to the ground?
    Cyst take like 3/4 clip from fl.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    G_of_the_J wrote: »
    Is there something odd with Flamethrower aswell or is it just nerfed to the ground?
    Cyst take like 3/4 clip from fl.

I think that is just a bug related to the cysts. Most of the weapons does less damages on them.
    Flamethrowers got buffed to the SKY. 1 extra damage per hit with that things rate of fire? Damn.

Thing is sort of a tool of the gods, now. Or a poor mans shotgun.
  • HellwireDHellwireD Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200904Members
    I'd rather see flame trains everywhere than that useless GL.

Now if only we could have extra propulsion from it while using a jetpack.... Oh Lordy!
  • YOLOYOLO Germany Join Date: 2014-05-13 Member: 196018Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2015
    Please fix hitreg, onos damage, reload bug :((( and the fps drops (+ everything else I did not mention).

Right now it is kinda unplayable.

Thanks in advance and please don't stop improving the game in the future.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    GL's rocket jump please CDT
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Like the new alien vision, nice job.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    BTW, yes, the new AV is awesome! The only problem for me is it's not that obvious whether it's on or off. I have to turn it a couple of times to be sure. I'll get used to it, probably. What's good:
    1) serves its purpose: you easily see marines on any background and light conditions. The orange AV was a real mess, white silhouettes on orange background often even less visible than without AV. NS2+ alternative was much better, but...
    2) ...but it obliterates the map colors and textures completely! You only have green map and orange marines. All aesthetics are lost in favor of better aim and reaction. New AV retains the colors and adds an interesting grayscale effect for distant parts while effectively highlighting enemies.
    3) Actually, I see some parts of the original AV in the new one — walls are kinda glossy with it on but they're dark instead of being orange. So it pays a tribute to the original work which is good.

I won't be suffering on vanilla servers anymore, yay!
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    And don't forget... it's pretty. I love pretty stuff. Except maybe hero gorges in pub games surrounded by hydras, crags, clogs, whips. Or the one hero gorge that always puts a tunnel in Landing Pad and asks : "COMM... SHADE ON MY LANDING PAD TUNNEL"... jesus, gorges are pretty, but hero gorges definitely aren't
  • petit_fromagepetit_fromage Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32752Members
    Good job CDT :thumbsup

Looking forward to the hotfix.
  • openyafaceupopenyafaceup Australia Join Date: 2015-01-26 Member: 201057Members
    so im getting the linux problems on the windows 10 beta ..... can u fix please, also it worries me that the CDT doesn't use linux ....allot
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @openyafaceup‌
    We do not yet support Windows 10 as it is still an unreleased Operating System and as such changes too frequently to attempt to maintain.
    What you are using is called a "Technical Preview build" for a reason ;)
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited January 2015
    Probably the best update in a long time (been waiting for WorkshopBackup for a well over a year), and thanks for lowering the grenade damage, the grenade spam has always been annoying.

6 hour player mute is awesome too, i hated having to keep muting the same people every map change.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    flame thrower is too strong against structures please return to previous structure damage.
  • loMeloMe PA Join Date: 2014-02-26 Member: 194387Members
    Hope the hotfix is on its way, I heard early this week? I know most of the issues have been fixed and play tested so let's get this rolling.

Also I just wanted to vent one complaint about the new default Alien Vision. When you are a Fade and you blink, both Aliens and Marines turn into a blur of blue, making it impossible to tell them apart in a medium-large open engagement. I personally don't think there should be any distortions when blink is activated, but at the very least aliens or marines should have separate colors (better yet NO DISTORTION). Other than that it's a huge improvement from that eye soar of bright yellow old Alien Vision.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We tested the Patch last night and all looked good, except for one final bug. We're hoping to have this fixed ASAP. Once that's verified, the patch can go out.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2015
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    flame thrower is too strong against structures please return to previous structure damage.
    lol, some people didnt get the sarcasm :P (christ i hope that's sarcasm)

• MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    rkfg wrote: »
    BTW, yes, the new AV is awesome! The only problem for me is it's not that obvious whether it's on or off. I have to turn it a couple of times to be sure.
    I tend to agree and I think mainly this is due to the fact that when off structures and marines still have an outline, like the original vanilla. I'm sure there's two camps of opinion of this, and I'm in the 'when it's off it's off' one where no alien vision means no shader effect applied whatsoever.

Apart from that it's a HUGE improvement! In the vein of the above though, two teeny tiny suggestions (this after playing with it for a week):

* In the AV off mode halve the thickness of the outlines (or, ideally, remove them as per above). This should help differentiate the modes more and provide a reason to use the AV instead of just running around with it off.

* Remove the vignette effect (or, at the least halve its depth) -- I was wondering why my vision seemed so claustrophobic until I realised what the AV mode was doing. I know it's trying to create an alien 'tunnel vision' but it's dark enough near the edges that it hampers view too much, especially on darker maps (and, ideally, the AV is supposed to aid vision in the dark). This and the above means after a week I've tended to abandon using the new AV at all, which I don't think is the desired result.

Of course, YMMV.

Mart
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    I agree vignette effect is an annoyance (although mostly because of how clearly you can see the oval you're peeking out of) but I strongly disagree about the "off" setting being toned down. Like the previous iteration of alien vision it works well by default and in the dark the "on" setting becomes useful. Now the "on" setting works well in normal light as well, although I still only use it when dark. I wouldn't ever want to turn it off fully, so to me this is the very best feature of the alien vision and I would never play with the stock alien vision otherwise.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    i have been waiting! :D so happy now <3 Docking: Removed random pipe prop in locker room
  • LeeuwLeeuw Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187898Members
    edited January 2015
    Ok.. patch 274 fixed the problem of 273 not letting me connect to the servers.

However now I got issues in the game I did not have before:
    Sometimes keyboard events are not handled or stuck.. so press left then right will keep on going left.
    Or pressing shift once.. keeps it in that state.. like a george sliding forever and the state can
    not be reset by pressing shift again.. it keeps it in that state indefinetly.

Also I noticed walking as a skulk in clear room (over floor) I sometimes hit invisible walls
    (while also having the key event problems). I can not get passed a certain position,
    only when moving a certain distance to another direction and back I can get past the same
    blocking position.. Probably also related to the key events and/or server expecting me to be
    at another position?

Note that before 273 I sometimes had a key/mouse event stuck.. but never that big as now.

Its the Linux version.. so probably the X11 events not handled ok?

Update: I tested it now on an empty server and there is no problem when I have a constant high FPS (40 for me).
    But if I force it to go down to 10FPS or lower (by letting a different program use the most of the GPU)
    the problems start. If I get a high 40FPS again (by stopping the external program) all keyboard events
    can only deliver a forward walk movement (even the Esc, F1, ~ keys) but only after holding them for
    a few seconds.. the forward movement also comes with a stutter.. like the low FPS changed the update
    rate of the keyboard, but did not restore when I got a higher FPS.
    Also no messages appear in the log or stdout.

This is a real problem for me.. when its happens playtime is over.. I need to quit the executable and restart.

I even got the slow keyboard response after disconnecting and press ~ for the console.
    So it must be very low level for any keyboard input to also affect the console.
    To get out of console mode by pressing Esc was only possible after hitting Esc about 100 times to get one
    even through.
  • AntiMatter001AntiMatter001 Ireland Join Date: 2014-05-08 Member: 195912Members
    edited February 2015
    uhm this seems to be happening to me too but it happens to steam too. (ingame menu if i was chatting to someone my keypresses are lagged out i have to press 5 or even 20 times to get one letter out)

it only happens when i respawn on humans though. on aliens it doesn't happen that often to be a problem.

same as above restarting game usually solves the problem... until i respawn.

EDIT1: it seems to happen if i press two keys at once (like C for map and TAB to speak to players) and also when it loads up the game. if i don't press anything when loading new map or press two keys at once it has a 50% chance of happening.

although i did just finish 4 rounds with no problem so idk what the problem is...
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only thing I don't like is the alien vision.. its not very... alien like... Make a better one ;)