Build 273 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    just a heads up, OP and someone spelled HEELS wrong on ns2 front page news
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I'm getting "missing Mod Required' on most servers, the new 'retry X' feature quickly runs to 10 then game drops out of loading. How do I disable mods that are dictated by the server, is that possible?

I have verified game files.

Also, like others, I am getting dropped frames whilst playing marines. I would like to point out that if the testers are having no FPS issues, that may be because they are the 30 or so people left over from the thousands of previous testers all who did have FPS issues and are now not playing. The fact you never had dramatic FPS issues may be skewing the stats on why you are not experiencing them now, yet a lot of people are complaining that they do.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2015
    Could anyone having "missing mod required" errors try first deleting their Workshop folder.
    Linux: .config/natural_selection_2/workshop
    Windows: Search %appdata% /(roaming? / Config?)/ natural selection 2/workshop.

P.S, don't quote me on the windows one, i haven't used it in a long time.

If that doesn't work, try deactivating ALL mods ingame, unsubscribing to all mods, delete your workshop folder, then try again.

These aren't surefire fixes, but they have managed to solve this problem in the past (sometimes).
  • RanctifierRanctifier United States Join Date: 2015-01-23 Member: 201001Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We had zero issues of FPS decreases during weeks of playtest on various different specs and systems.

If you're having FPS issues, please verify your Steam NS2 Cache. If that doesn't work, please run techsupport.exe in your NS2 folder and upload the file it create online and provide us with the link in this thread. Thanks!

I played a few games today after seeing the update on Steam.

Definitely had some FPS issues that made the matches effectively unplayable, drops from 45 fps to 8 or fewer fps that even occurred in a single exo v single skulk situation.

Here's the zipfile:
    https://dropbox.com/s/87whm2s47keivef/tech_support.zip?dl=0
  • skulkgatoskulkgato Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183645Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2015
    roxxkatt wrote: »
    just a heads up, OP and someone spelled HEELS wrong on ns2 front page news

I'd love to agree with you, but... I think it's a play on words.
    Stop sounds from playing on destroyed entities
    Do dead marines count as entities?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I would also suggest it is always a good idea to VERIFY your files after a build comes out. You can do this by going to the properties of the game in your steam library.
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    Is there any love for Siege Mode servers that died because of frequent "Missing Mod Required" errors? Been happening since Christmas / Patch 272.

Seeing as these problems have leaked into non-Siege servers, I get a terrible feeling that we're all going to push Siege Mode to the bottom of the list. Possible RIP to siege mode? :cry:
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mendasp wrote: »
    And if someone wants the old vanilla AV, I published it here and also added it to the list of selectable AVs in NS2+.

I love how there are 14 visitors, and no subscribers. I would like to dub this FantaVision.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Can those that have FPS issues please verify if they use DX9 or DX11? Somebody reported that their setting got switched to dx11 instead of dx9, causing them fps issues.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    That's a really tasty change log guys, well done! I look forward to trying it out!
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Can those that have FPS issues please verify if they use DX9 or DX11? Somebody reported that their setting got switched to dx11 instead of dx9, causing them fps issues.

prior to this build, using d3d11 caused SEVERE FPS DROPS even on the main menu, as in below 5 fps, rendering the game unusable, so i used d3d9 as i had no choice.
    did anything change in 273?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    no, dx9 and dx11 are the same as before.

But some players seem to have had their settings changed to dx11. Simply changing it back to dx9 should fix it. The cause of the issue is currently unknown (and if its really a bug, maybe they did actually change it themselves at some point). So if in doubt, check your render settings.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have updated the wiki with the change logs and balance changes. Can someone throw some light on the FT. I am confused as to how the values on the wiki is derived, and how the damage is calculated now.
  • loMeloMe PA Join Date: 2014-02-26 Member: 194387Members
    I'm running DX9 on an i5 2500k at 4.4Ghz w/ a GTX 770. I've sent IronHorse a 15-20 min plog of playing as a Fade in a 24 person server at 30-60 ping. There were Exos, sentries, arcs, all the works. FPS dropped to below 30 at times with an average of about 50-60fps. Normally under that kind of load I'd average 90-100 and dip into 60s. It felt like playing NS2 on a build from over a year ago and playing on my old 9800GTX. The round was barely playable.
    Where did you post the plog?
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2015
    Is it just me or anecdotally does skulk just "feel" different to anyone else? I'm not sure if the bite cone has been changed in distance (shorter?) or there's something with the netcode, but it feels like it's more difficult to bite marines, in some way. Or not necessarily more difficult but just different. Like less interpolation or something?!

I felt like there were some subtle changes like that that just made 272 "feel different" as well... Y U NO document (if that was the case)?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    Is it just me or anecdotally does skulk just "feel" different to anyone else? I'm not sure if the bite cone has been changed in distance (shorter?) or there's something with the netcode, but it feels like it's more difficult to bite marines, in some way. Or not necessarily more difficult but just different. Like less interpolation or something?!

I felt like there were some subtle changes like that that just made 272 "feel different" as well... Y U NO document (if that was the case)?

Could be the improved performance of servers :D
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well - less interpolation because servers run better. But I don't know. It feels weird though, maybe it's just me. And it's just skulk.

Also, I appreciate adding a specific binding to the comm screen so I don't have to remap my "A" key (which I use for movement modifier) every time I jump in to com, but if you're issuing a hotfix for the onos thing, just raising awareness that the binding "HAS_DEVELOPMENT_TEXT" and should probably be changed to "Screen Scroll Modifier" or something more user friendly :-) .

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/136532/bug-report-onos-only-deals-100-damage-per-attack-against-buildings
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    just raising awareness that the binding "HAS_DEVELOPMENT_TEXT" and should probably be changed to "Screen Scroll Modifier" or something more user friendly :-) .

Fixed
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    . alien vision like to turn itself off randomly
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    . alien vision like to turn itself off randomly
    It's when you open the scoreboard, it's an NS2+ bug. It's resetting the HUD, as marines you'll see the squares when you do the same. You can set the default AV state in the NS2+ options in case you're actually pressing F every time you respawn.

I have a fix for it, but servers kind of die when mods get updated unless they get fully restarted, so I'm waiting for this bug to be resolved.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    I would also suggest it is always a good idea to VERIFY your files after a build comes out. You can do this by going to the properties of the game in your steam library.

What about the game would do it automatically ?

Of course with a warning like "new build!!! , let's make some refresh on mods and cache." (clik ok)
    Rip off Workshop mods, cache, and then launch a big local update/pre-calculation, an there it is. No more : "Check the workshop and cache". In fact it should be in a "maintenance" menu, so we can do it on demand.

Same for logging. Having a bindable key would be handy. why not ? If you need feedback, make the tools and shortcuts for the end users. Then users can upload it within one of the game menu. The upload system already exists for core dumps. It can be re-used. You could launch "loggin" session when needed, and disable it at will (avoiding to be spam-ed with constant uploads).

• Das19Das19 Nederland Join Date: 2015-01-23 Member: 201011Members

But some players seem to have had their settings changed to dx11. Simply changing it back to dx9 should fix it. The cause of the issue is currently unknown (and if its really a bug, maybe they did actually change it themselves at some point). So if in doubt, check your render settings.

always played on dx11 and can also notice the large amount of fps drops when large amount of entities are in the area. makes the game verry hard to play post patch when it is anymore than 1v1. general fps did not decrease only stutering in crowded areas

(have nvidea gtx 660 and i5 2400)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    Das19 wrote: »

always played on dx11 and can also notice the large amount of fps drops when large amount of entities are in the area. makes the game verry hard to play post patch when it is anymore than 1v1. general fps did not decrease only stutering in crowded areas

(have nvidea gtx 660 and i5 2400)

The DX11 render of ns2 was never really stable and only a short while faster than dx9. And we as cdt can't really support three different render apis. So dx 11 wasn't maintained over a year and is still beta.

Might be that 274 broke something loose, we will look into it. But overall DX 11 is still a Beta (more alpha) and i recommend highly to use dx 9 just to avoid the with dx 11 coming memory fragmentation.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    Live review:
    1st (kinda crucial for ultimate pleasure) experience is.. : NS2 wont start. :(
    Step 2: verified, didnt work, reinstalling.
    Step 2.01: 30% downloaded. Goood i am bored!
    50% !
    Step 2.03: 10 mb/s dl still bored, still only 75%
    Step 2.99 dl finish, reinstall, fingers crossed!
    Step 3.00 wont start even after reinstall and verify. Full nuke!
    Step 3.01 Obraxis's guide isnt really easy to follow atm. trying!
    Step 4.0: after full nuke, reinstall! (again!)
    4%!
    (must be in 45 min now )
    Step 5.01: Reinstalled and working. !
    End live review.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2015
    Separate from my other thread, even on a local server with nobody in it - over 30 fps lost in just the ready room, use to sit at 200.00 everywhere in the ready room now it sits at 160~ same for in-game would sit at 200-190 fps with no players roaming map, drops to 150~ with players it goes to 90s at times which is below the refresh rate

This was tried with the 344.11 whql (no video settings changed, and it was in DX9 mode) as per my other thread I believe it's the driver. If you have something specific you want me to try and test and send over info let me know
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My thoughts and points.

Shotgun microstutters on shooting now especially in the late game, makes aiming almost impossible.
    Heavy frame-rate loss late game especially near hives.
    GL nerf is great.
    Axes seem to do half damage for some reason to structures.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    * client fully updated? check.
    * Connect to fully updated UK pub 1? works.
    * Connect to fully updated LU pub1? works. (they both run ns2+)
    * Connect to UK scrim1 (ran custom map). works.
    * Connect to UK scrim2. One mod error, reconnect, all fine. (server said Client disconnected (ip) Missing required mod)
    * Connect to uk scrim3. hmm. this one fails me. The log is empty after:
    [19:02:19]NSL Enhanced Consistency checking took 2 seconds.
    [22:04:08]Server : 10800.027344 : Call StartWorld with mods {1 = "812f004",2 = "a2ddae8",3 = "706d242",4 = "c6fbbb0",5 = "aa8da06",6 = "e5ffa15",7 = "eb1aa55"}

Which is odd as I mapcyle every 3 hours.
    No other useful logs were present.
    Cold booting the ns2 server loaded it up with its gazilion (map) mods, as it should, and worked fine. It mapchanges perfectly.
    * Connect to LU scrim1. Mod error, needed one reconnect, all fine. Custom map loads. (server said Client disconnected (ip) Missing required mod)
    * Connect to LU scrim2. All fine, custom map loads.
    * Connect to LU scrim3. All fine, custom map loads.

So we have 1 weird server and 2 servers which needed a reconnect due to mods.
    Its to note that scrim2 is mod isolated so both uk scrim2 and lu scrim1 were the 'first' server to update the mod, which was updated when the next server in line needed it.

So yes mods still fail to download at times, but given that before the patch the score was at least 50% fail I think it is not doing so bad.
    Look into the alternative download if you have many mod issues?
    As for clients not connecting but the folk on the server are.. That seems logical. The server and the folk on the server have the same mod version.
    The not connected clients can have a different one, depending if the client or server was faster or slower with updating.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    My thoughts and points.

Shotgun microstutters on shooting now especially in the late game, makes aiming almost impossible.
    Heavy frame-rate loss late game especially near hives.
    GL nerf is great.
    Axes seem to do half damage for some reason to structures.

I think this is correct. Not sure about the axes part but the rest I've noticed. It's like the game has gone back in time when stuttering was a major issue and it's not fun to play mid to late game after the patch. There is something going on with the SG and something going on with frame rates in general after the round has been going a little while.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    Thanks @loMe‌ !

@OnosFactory‌ @Ranctifier‌ @Das19‌ @ezekel‌ @RaZDaZ‌

Please follow my instructions here so we can fix this ASAP.
    Thank you.