Commander Badge Frustration

Comments

• MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Cannon_FodderAUS - look at all those commanders.. :D
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    I can image all the ground players like this:

• MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Cannon_FodderAUS‌ It's even better/worse when you're a 'known' comm
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    lol, "mate, mate, mate..." joking aside @Cannon_FodderAUS‌ that is exactly my experience.

My fave "known" coms are 'modest mouse' and 'keen'... both very regular in the chair on Yo.

• halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    That person isn't even modest mouse.
    *thanks @halfofaheaven‌ for pointing that out... come back to Yo, we miss you x
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    would be nice to have a commander badge gained by game win percent after 50 or 100 games

tired of seeing horrible commanders with commander badges just because they sat in chair long enough
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    10hrs in the chair isn't trivial. Took me awhile to earn my badge back in the day. I believe the game doesn't count time until game has started, and it runs off hive stats, meaning you can't do a listen server and sit there.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Yeah. I think 10 hours in the chair is reasonable. It takes awhile.

Commander badge doesn't mean you're good, just means you're not new and you know what structures are and (hopefully) some hotkeys.

I think the problem you would run into is that commanders wouldn't want to comm a garbage team because it could take away their sweet "I'm-a-good-commander" badge.

The other issue is that badges are only updated when the user (or someone on the back end) forces them to update. So if you managed to get a certain win % on small servers or whatever, then you sync your badges, you'd have the badge forever, even if you started playing like complete trash.

Love the ideas though @Roxxkatt, nice to see you getting so involved :)
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    How to command NS2 pubs...

1. Find the strongest marine on your team
    2. Only med that single marine, constantly monitor him and ensure he survives
    3. Only med other marines if they are NOT in combat or are paired with the top skilled marine
    4. Fast drop arms lab and fast-tech upgrades

If your a jew with medpacks, only medpack who you know will pay off you'l easily reach 3/2 upgrades by 8 minutes and gates+shotties at 10. Even with absolute retards on my team, I win 99% of the games I play because upgrades are so devestating in high-number games.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    The other day, I ended up on a server almost full of rookies. Got yelled at because I didn't put sentries and obs in every single room. "You clearly don't know what you're doing" haha. Dudes with 4 to 20 hours of game time :D Here's a spoiler for this little story, I don't want that thread to drift :)
    Hell what do you know, It appeared that not only veterans and pub stompers can be dicks. After some time, they realized that I was way too helpful regarding info, strat advices, and skill, so they stopped bashing me and listenned (I guess there is a hierarchy amongst rookies too). This ended up in a very nice evening where I spent all the night teaching some rookies (greenies) how to use the commander interface, what's the use of every single thing etc etc... It appears that explaining even the most basic stuff can be really hard. You have to locate the icon for him/her, say the name of the building, explain its use, argue over where you have to put it, whether it's useful to put more than one of this building, state in which cases it's useful... Anyway, that 70mn game was super cool regardless. I got the chance to share some of my knowledge of the game to rookies, they were super grateful, but this is an exhausting thing to do, and I won't do that everyday like @It'sSuperEffective did. Cutos to him

Anyway, I have the commander badge because I farmed it like a year ago before going into competitive, because I wanted to show off a badge. But since it does not really have any real significance, I just hide it, because people assume that if I have it, it means that I want to comm, which is not always true. I can help if there's no one willing to do it and if i'm in the mood, but I don't jump in it as soon as I get the chance. So I agree, maybe you should do more (time/wins) to earn that badge. What's the time vs win/loose ratio atm ?
    I know it took me like 2 weeks to have it, farmed it hard, and even if the term "farm" is kind of pejorative these days, it helped me a lot in my never ending quest to know how to play this game xD puts everything into perspective when you're in that cold metal box getting yelded at :)
    I don't remember who said that, but two different badges for marines and alien comm would be super helpful. I always though that the red commander badge was for aliens when I started the game. But it appeared that it was actually a steam badge, which was and is still confusing to newcomers.
    And I think you still can farm the commander badge by just commanding aliens, which is kind of silly
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    once it was pretty late, only 17 people in the marine team alone with commander badges and about 5 on alien side, but aliens had a commander for cuple minute and nobody wanted to command marines :D i could not talk in mic and they start trolling the chair entering exiting plus votekicked atleast 3 dudes that said they gonna build multiple arc factorys pre game, server died out with 42 people online i cannot even emagine how it must be on "regular" servers without a comm
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    edited December 2014
    @decoy i said gained, not lost (:

however a downside of that is it means they were good once, and possibly not anymore
    clarification: % of wins over their last X games commanded only including teams with skill ratios difference not to exceed a % cutoff
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    RadimaX wrote: »
    once it was pretty late, only 17 people in the marine team alone with commander badges and about 5 on alien side, but aliens had a commander for cuple minute and nobody wanted to command marines :D i could not talk in mic and they start trolling the chair entering exiting plus votekicked atleast 3 dudes that said they gonna build multiple arc factorys pre game, server died out with 42 people online i cannot even emagine how it must be on "regular" servers without a comm

It's the same.

Except you clearly see the major problem. There is nothing incentive to make people get in the chair.
    While having more polyvalent players is far better than grunts on the field (They understand the commander POV so they behave differently).

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    RadimaX wrote: »

It's the same.

Except you clearly see the major problem. There is nothing incentive to make people get in the chair.
    While having more polyvalent players is far better than grunts on the field (They understand the commander POV so they behave differently).

I'd like to point out that most of the people in this scenario who didn't want to com already had the commander badge. Certainly there will always be some people who just never com, but it's fair to say that those 17 people had lost any incentive the badge may have provided, and they clearly chose to get in the chair at some point to earn the badge.

What would help most is a form of permanent incentive. Something that keeps people coming back to com week after week for as long as they play the game but DOESN'T stay so far out of reach that they never "feel" the effect.

Whether or not a commander is any good is secondary to just getting a commander to start with. Badges are less important as "skill indicators" then they are as just incentives. Of course as long as they are interpreted as a skill indicator they will be a much stronger incentive because epeen.

On a mostly unrelated note, yesterday was the first time I ever encountered someone who vocally opposed allowing anyone without a badge to comm. Needless to say he was loudly disagreed with. It's a surprise no one actually votekicked him especially since he tried to votekick the badgless com (that vote failed, 2 yes votes, 13 no votes).

On an even more offtopic note, I was thinking it might be useful that if a vote gets an overwhelming majority of "Nos" (NOT abstains/fail-to-votes), the person who initiates the vote should be either automatically kicked or at least blocked from starting any more votes. The reason is that most people usually don't even bother voting No since not voting counts the same, the only time a majority of players on the server will actively vote No is when the vote itself is a troll attempt or perceived that way. Also additional votes are locked out for everyone a while after a vote is attempted, so that normally prevents people from responding to the vote by trying to kick the offender.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    The commander badge does a good job in giving people an incentive to try out commanding. Sadly, it seems most people who tried it did not find it fun. I and many others have complained for years that the marine commander had its soul ripped out with the invention of marine pres.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    When i say incentive it's like "continuing" to command. The first badge was just the "I've got it" incentive type. I'm afraid that the "fading away" proposal will not do the trick either.

The regular commanders aren't part of the problem at hand. The worst that can happen is some guy returning after 1 year. He will need a night or 2 to adapt to the stuff that changed. But 1 they rarely come back, 2 the basics are still the same.

IMO What bores the commanders the most on public servers (not really an issue for comp) is people doing whatever they want. Close to the exact opposite of competitive style sometimes.

While it's supposed to be the recruiting area (so people should behave). New players play on public, and recruiters go where players are.

No new interface or upgrade or badges will make people interested in commanding on a regular basis. That's why i vote for commander giving good points (or bad points). Fear is also a good incentive.

When you say "get in the PG" and you see 3 guys waiting at base, you have reasons to spank a little.
    It may have been suggested before but perhaps a "vote commander" option for those moments that take forever to get a com. That or all games should begin after 7 - 10mins once the majority are out of the readyroom?

Getting a commander is still one of the frustrating parts of the game.
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    It may have been suggested before but perhaps a "vote commander" option for those moments that take forever to get a com. That or all games should begin after 7 - 10mins once the majority are out of the readyroom?

Getting a commander is still one of the frustrating parts of the game.

I believe that forcing anyone to command is the most unhelpful approach possible. Whether the game starts with no commander or one that didn't volunteer to be in charge doesn't even make a difference; you have either none, or an unmotivated commander in the box, who might just as well hit (Alt)-F4 or sabotage their team for voting them in. Not to mention that it's simply unfair if 2 out of 20 players *must* do something they didn't want to - just so that the other 18 can have fun.

I don't have an easy solution to the 'not enough commanders' problem, though. I generally enjoy doing it with a communicative, friendly team, regardless of their skill level - but you don't get those every game.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I actuallt really don't want the badge, so, this is just incentive to not command even more. Not thay anyone wants me to command lol
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    maybe you can hide badges in hive so they don't display. Just a thought...
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff

What if he wants to display Constellation but not the Commander badge?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Pelargir wrote: »

I've probably made more than one thread requesting that lol
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    mattji104 wrote: »

Yeah, but AceDude has certainly other concerns and work to care about than this one. It's not such an issue honestly...
    @Pelargir and @mattji104‌ true about the Constellation badge. Then I don't know, have to take what comes for now I guess.
    Yea it's not a huge deal, i just have them disabled now unfortunately cause 3 is really silly :/

I figured they would just add two empty slots to the web code to place badges you don't want to appear in, but frankly I can't code so I can't say how much of a pain that would be if at all lol

Matlab 4evr
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    mattji104 wrote: »

Also made a thread regarding this, having the ability to hide specific badges, http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/136200/question-about-badge-icons#latest

Just got told AceDude is busy doing other stuff so.......Eh we can dream right.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    There is one more thing that could be changed to encourage commanders more. Hive stats. Commanding is not giving much points for commanding, and its way more frustrating to command than to be a field player. Maybe adding twice amount of points for winning a game, and disable negative points for losing a game (no one wants to command team full of rookies!).
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    There is one more thing that could be changed to encourage commanders more. Hive stats. Commanding is not giving much points for commanding, and its way more frustrating to command than to be a field player. Maybe adding twice amount of points for winning a game, and disable negative points for losing a game (no one wants to command team full of rookies!).

Since the 'Force even teams' vote is trying to average out the Hive score on both sides, wouldn't that lead to exactly this situation where the commander with a 2k Hive Rating now gets most of the rookies?