Future of the Reinforcement Program - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    Anzestral wrote: »
    Well I love the game, but I always felt very sad I was to slow to get the black armor. I so far got all available dlc's available for the game, because I really like it and I wanted to support further developement, but also because I am kind of a collector. I would feel a little betrayed to be honest if people could get the shadow skulk skin in a lot's cheaper dlc now. If that comes I also want a black armor dlc, I wouldn't even mind paying 20€ (I think thats the diff between normal and special edition back then?) or more for it just to complete my collection. If you feel this would be unfair to the buyers of the special edition please reconsider your shadow dlc idea...

I don't understand this sentiment real well. Never was the shadow tier sold as exclusive. At the price of $75 I would call it premium, not exclusive. There was never any mention of exclusivity in any way. This contrasts with the black marine skin which did specifically say it was a limited offer and would never be purchasable again. So with the proposed plan they are making it partially exclusive, but also partially more available.
    The reinforce program was marketed and sold as a way to support ns2. We all know this wouldn't make much money as proposed, but wouldn't the nickel or dime it makes to support ns2 be better than nothing at all? Wouldn't you rather have ns2 be supported?

To support the premium-ness of the shadow skins I really think they should all be sold separately for $6. So that for $6 you could get:
    Shadow Skulk, or Shadow Gorge, or Shadow lerk, or Shadow Fade (if released), or Shadow Onos (if released), or Elite Assault marine skin
    Standard Shoulder Decal
    Standard Assault Marine
    Expanded Soundtrack

In total there would be 4 reinforced packs for a total of $24, 6 and $36 if Shadow Fade and Shadow Onos were released. This way you could get the skins you really want, say if you are a lerk player so you only want lerk skin. At $24 or $36 total it would still be pretty expensive for DLC retaining its premium stature.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @RadimaX‌
    I love how everyone's reaction has been generally positive to an open question aimed at the community from UWE .. And then you predictably take the time to make a picture which calls them a douche bag, while at the same time complaining about free content and optional dlc??

I don't get it.

And i dont think you understand the purpose behind RP - go watch the release video for it or simply read the comments on here for a clue.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited November 2014
    no just 2013 uwe sounded different than 2014, its great idea sell how much cosmetics as you want, i dont mind spending money on ALL of your future releases... dlc´s, maps, skins, mods i will get another part time job just to specificly support it...i have good intentions but just dont see where 250.000 dollars was spent making 10 skins or cuple maps, however if more money is what you need in order for us to enjoy more of UWE´s fantastic content im all for it. just dont dissapoint me with one single epic map cummunity made like derelict in 2015 done by 1 guy in 365 days if we induvidually put hundreds of dollars on game copys donations mods skins or other dlcs ok? maby we should send our money directly to LOKI instead?

i have not called anyone a "**** bag" like you wrote, and i never said wow how bad a free optional content is. Those are things you invented out of the blue not mentioned by me, i know u can edit my post or redact it as usual but plz quote me if you have to instead of trying to twist my words #ironhorse. the Dlc will be 6 or 60 or 600 i dont care how much it cost, what im getting at is if u gonna do dlc maby do something more than once per halfyear this time? i like variety after maby 3000+ hours of veil and mineshaft and docking etc, but combat mode or a white skin maby isnt veriety enough concidering the quarter million dollars community gave you for the future of ns2.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    RadimaX wrote: »
    i have not called anyone a "**** bag"

Maybe you didn't intend to, but that's what putting that hat on something means. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/scumbag-steve
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2014
    Nordic wrote: »
    I don't understand this sentiment real well. Never was the shadow tier sold as exclusive. At the price of $75 I would call it premium, not exclusive. There was never any mention of exclusivity in any way. This contrasts with the black marine skin which did specifically say it was a limited offer and would never be purchasable again. So with the proposed plan they are making it partially exclusive, but also partially more available.
    The reinforce program was marketed and sold as a way to support ns2. We all know this wouldn't make much money as proposed, but wouldn't the nickel or dime it makes to support ns2 be better than nothing at all? Wouldn't you rather have ns2 be supported?

Even if the reinforcement content wasn't advertised as exclusive, wouldn't you expect that things you paid 75$ for (and let's be honest, a lot of the donators spent money for the content, especially the skins, more than to support UWE) is at least that 'exclusive' or 'premium' that it's not sold for less mony later on? I actually do not see a big difference to the black armor except that it was advertised as exclusive. And it was actually 'just' 20$ more expensive than the normal edition wich is significantly less than the money you had to spend/donate for the reinforcement content.

Don't get me wrong I am all for supporting UWE or the CDT and I actually had a long conversation with an CDT member today about all this to see what can be done. I am just saying I don't think you should put different measure on similar things. In my opinion you have to decide:

Do you (1) want to not take any exlusive/premium stuff from anyone, then keep it as it is now.
    Or do you want to (2) support the further development, then make all the content available to everyone.

And to all the early supporters with their black armors. To me it's kind of weird you want to keep the black armor exclusive to show how much you support the developers but at the same time you refuse to let more people buy it (and I am 100% sure a lot of players would pay the 20$ do get it) so there is more money for further development just you don't have to give away a little bit of the exclusiveness. Maybe something to think about...
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited November 2014
    K, my 1 cent (hey, I'm poor) and questions:

Starting with questions -

1. Are these skins going to support specific devs/modders/mappers like it did for Loki and rantology? If so, I don't see much cash for uwe (and, I honestly feel like the money shared from kodiac was a bit too much).

2. Why don't we have less of the larger dlcs, and more smaller ones (like a couple bucks for a skin deal of some sort, but only one skin)? I think newer people would be more willing to pay micro transactions. Maybe even cheaper dlcs for even more minor cosmetics - helmet changes, extra ammo packs, etc.

3. I thought the money gained from the previous large dlc was also for the ns2wcc? Maybe the wrong dlc (correct me if I'm wrong).

Statement (1 cent) -

My only non-question (to the ideas suggested, i know it's not the case atm) is a huge 'no' to buying the black armor (maybe biased because I have it). But we were told it was for a limited time. The money made from those sales basically helped uwe to move forward with even the alpha... I think I bought it in august of 2009.

Edit - derp auto-correct.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2014
    RapGod wrote: »
    My only non-question (to the ideas suggested, i know it's not the case atm) is a huge 'no' to buying the black armor (maybe biased because I have it). But we were told it was for a limited time. The money made from those sales basically helped uwe to move forward with even the alpha... I think I bought it in august of 2009.

Ok, so you don't want any more money made for development because you want to be special by owning exclusive conentet. That is fine for me, but then I want my 'exclusive' or premium shadow skulk or at least I want other people to also spend 75$ to have it, that is a non-question than as well. All good...

Maybe one more question to you. Imagine there wouldn't have been any special exclusive content, would you
    (1) have spent 40$ for a special edition without any exclusive content just to support UWE more
    (2) have gone for the 20$ normal edition
    (3) have not prepurchesed at all and justwaited for the realease?

If you can't answer with (1) and be completely honest with it you shouldn't vote for taking away content from the 75$ shadow tier.
  • meowsmeows Join Date: 2008-10-14 Member: 65201Members
    edited November 2014
    Hey, I don't spend much time on the forums but i'm a long time NS fan playing NS1 for over 3 years and playing NS2 from day one.

I don't really care if you re-brand the shadow skins as a DLC pack and at this point, especially with the reaper DLC. I wonder why it hasn't become a separate DLC before now. I donated to the RP for the icon, simply a vanity icon to show other players that I care, care enough to pay more with the hope for fund more for NS2.

My feelings on the RP program aren't that positive really, I know that there has been updates and very welcomed changes in terms of polish and gameplay tweaks, but for the money I had hope to see more maps, maybe more weapons/abilities (I understand the balancing issues with this), or even game modes.

A Caveat however, regarding the SE black armour I'm split on this, Black armour is holy for me, I anted up big when the pre-sale/dev drive was announced and gave more money because I believed in the project and that shows through the Black armour, however sell it as a DLC would as bring in more revenue.

With NS:Combat out I can't help but feel why should I pay more, we've fractured the community into two now. I would have like to see Combat become a game mode rather than a different game altogether - I know a lot of work went into it, and people need to be compensated but I'm not entirely sure that a separate game was the best approach.

It would be nice to see some sort of gun skin system CS:GO has along with a player rank system that is outward facing in-game.

Personally it'd be nice to have NS iterate over time, I'm not totally against the CS:S to CS:GO leap of iteration, by which offering pretty much the exact same game but updated and more with features. Hell the other day I thought if I could subscribe for $5-10 a month to ensure NS continues and grows, I'd certainly do it. The problem there is growth.

NS has a very big problem of bring new players back. Of all the friends I have bought NS2 for or they have picked it up on my recommendation only one has actually put in enough time get passed the "I don't know what i'm doing" stage.

I'd like the thank you guys and the CDT for their work.
    edited November 2014

Ok, so you don't want any more money made for development because you want to be special by owning exclusive conentet. That is fine for me, but then I want my 'exclusive' or premium shadow skulk or at least I want other people to also spend 75$ to have it, that is a non-question than as well. All good...

Putting words in my mouth but okay. I never said that I didn't want them to make more money? I even suggested ideas FOR them to make more money. The black armor is a matter of principle, they said limited and if they went back on that, it wouldn't be good PR. I never said I want to be "special" by owning something that I bought before the alpha release.

The shadow skulk armor was never advertised as limited so they can mess with the prices. You bought it knowing the price, as did I with the black armor. Move on.
    edited November 2014
    Putting words in my mouth but okay. I never said that I didn't want them to make more money? I even suggested ideas FOR them to make more money. The black armor is a matter of principle, they said limited and if they went back on that, it wouldn't be good PR. I never said I want to be "special" by owning something that I bought before the alpha release.

The shadow skulk armor was never advertised as limited so they can mess with the prices. You bought it knowing the price, as did I with the black armor. Move on.

You said you are biased becasue you own it and it's definatley a no for you to make it available. Doesn't that mean you want to be special?

Did you donate in the reinforcement program and did you get the shadow tier stuff?
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I know it's been discussed in other places before, but black armor won't be sold again.
    edited November 2014
    Why is there any dicussion about selling seperate content from the reinforcement program then?
    edited November 2014

Maybe one more question to you. Imagine there wouldn't have been any special exclusive content, would you
    (1) have spent 40$ for a special edition without any exclusive content just to support UWE more
    (2) have gone for the 20$ normal edition
    (3) have not prepurchesed at all and justwaited for the realease?

If you can't answer with (1) and be completely honest with it you shouldn't vote for taking away content from the 75$ shadow tier.

1. Ugh, you added more. I honestly don't care that I have black armor. I've had maybe 10-15 people notice and ask about the armor in 2500+ hrs (alpha, beta, current). I spent the money because I wanted to help uwe and I wanted to take part and watch the game grow.

2. I would get the 20 dollar normal addition NOW, because I've been low on cash and the game is cheaper now (still gives uwe money, though). 20 bucks now wasn't worth what I paid in 2009. It started the game. If you missed the date, tough luck.

3. No, I didn't want to wait for the final release. I loved ns1 (I think I was around 12 yrs old) and was excited for ns2. As said, I wanted to see the game 'evolve' and I wanted the game to do well (which I doubt it would have without those pre-orders).

And I never 'voted' to take away content from your shadow tier.

Pm me if you want to go back and forth, as I'm afraid this forum will get derailed.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Way I see it is that the community didn't reach the goal, so this is reasonable.

But I'd rather see all the Shadow skins mad a available individually for a cheaper price.

I think it's a great idea as long as the icons stay exclusive to the program, I see no reason for anything else to be retired.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    moultano wrote: »
    Maybe you didn't intend to, but that's what putting that hat on something means.
    you are correct, i did not say "**** bag" or intend to say "**** bag" and using a hat is not the same as saying those words that ironhorse wrote. Thats why i made a quick example for you right here:
    OFrluWk.png
    as you can see i still have NOT said the words **** bag to anyone. i simply made examples of the past and it made sense in the context of what was being said by UWE.
    edited November 2014

You said you are biased becasue you own it and it's definatley a no for you to make it available. Doesn't that mean you want to be special?

Did you donate in the reinforcement program and did you get the shadow tier stuff?

(Sorry about the multiple posts)

You continue to ignore what I'm saying. It was stated as limited, 5 years ago, and @decoy has clarified it for you. At this point your issue is with uwe for making it limited. I'm still confused about this feeling "special". Yes, every time I load ns2 I get a chubby knowing my armor is different from some other people.

No, I did not buy those. If you get on my ass about that - I can't afford it.

Again, pm me if I'm somehow trying to be 'special', because it'd sure make me feel 'special'. As of now, my original post will just be overlooked. Thanks dawg.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »

Even if the reinforcement content wasn't advertised as exclusive, wouldn't you expect that things you paid 75$ for (and let's be honest, a lot of the donators spent money for the content, especially the skins, more than to support UWE) is at least that 'exclusive' or 'premium' that it's not sold for less mony later on? I actually do not see a big difference to the black armor except that it was advertised as exclusive. And it was actually 'just' 20$ more expensive than the normal edition wich is significantly less than the money you had to spend/donate for the reinforcement content.

Don't get me wrong I am all for supporting UWE or the CDT and I actually had a long conversation with an CDT member today about all this to see what can be done. I am just saying I don't think you should put different measure on similar things. In my opinion you have to decide:

Do you (1) want to not take any exclusive/premium stuff from anyone, then keep it as it is now.
    Or do you want to (2) support the further development, then make all the content available to everyone.

And to all the early supporters with their black armors. To me it's kind of weird you want to keep the black armor exclusive to show how much you support the developers but at the same time you refuse to let more people buy it (and I am 100% sure a lot of players would pay the 20$ do get it) so there is more money for further development just you don't have to give away a little bit of the exclusiveness. Maybe something to think about...

I would love to have the black armor. BUT, they said it would never be sold again. If they sold it again, they would of lied. I wouldn't trust UWE anymore. As much as I would love to have the black armor I would be disappointed if it was sold again.

You say "want to not take any exclusive/premium stuff" as if they are one and the same. To me this is a matter of semantics and marketing.

Premium: a high value or a value in excess of that normally or usually expected
    Exclusive: available to only one person or group
    (from merriam-webster)
    Premium ≠ Exclusive

The shadow tier was expensive. That price gave it a premium value. I am arguing that should be retained, but the content still sold in a more public place such as steam DLC. So in that, I am very supportive of the proposed plan but still think it is holding too much back.

"(and let's be honest, a lot of the donators spent money for the content, especially the skins, more than to support UWE)"
    How could you know this? With a limited sample size of those who have posted here, it appears the majority spent money for support more than the content. Assuming that everyone who donated to reinforced got an email, we can assume those who have and will post are those who care the most. As it stands, it seems to people who care the most overwhelmingly support the proposed plan.
  • Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    Do it if you think this will keep the game alive.
    Warforce17 wrote: »
    Do it if you think this will keep the game alive.

I don't think that is what this is about. Ns2 will not be seeing much return , but moving reinforced to a steam dlc I don't think requires much effort. At least I wouldn't think it would.
    Minimal effort for minimal return compared to something big for minimal return.
  • Gravity GraveGravity Grave California Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148556Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Y'all have my blessing!
  • RoughneckRoughneck Juneau Join Date: 2014-08-09 Member: 197888Members
    Been playin Natural-Selection for 10 years.. I'll be playing it for years to come.. I Do so For the Group of friends and play style I've found comes from no other game. Do what you like, I'll Support it.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Thats people optionally paying 50$ and more for what essentially turned out to be cuple maps/skins

It's clear you reading and memory skills are lacking. Nobody anywhere ever said that ANY MONEY from the reinforcement program would absolutely go towards developing ns2. EVER. Donations are exactly that... DONATIONS.

100% anybody's choice to do so or not. We're lucky that we've got any new maps at all, any content in general. And I'm 99% sure we can expect to see at least one more map.

I'm a shadow supporter, I don't care whatsoever if a few of the skins get put in a dlc pack. To me it seems like it's actually a good sign that maybe the reaper and kodiak DLCs have done well enough to warrant a transfer of reinforced over to the same sort of thing. And maybe that means there's more things in the pipeline as my fellow Coloradoan @SamusDroid‌ has pointed out.

I donated to UWE for providing me so much time spent enjoying their game that I only spent 12 bucks on at the time. It's safe to say there's never been and probably will never be another game I sink as much time into or enjoy as much as I have ns2. This coming over 2 years after release even.

Do what you will UWE. Hugh can do it! I mean, YOU can do it!
  • barrybbarryb Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34677Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Go for it, I bought the reinforcement pack to support the game, the developers and the community.

I also donated money to NS1 and as far as I'm concerned the extra skins etc. are a nice bonus :)

Barry
  • MeursaultMeursault Join Date: 2014-03-10 Member: 194631Members
    Yeah, you should do it.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I bought Shadow like I pre-ordered NS2 - that was to show support and give thanks to UWE for making NS to begin with!
    If you guys need to make a cool perk available again in order to make sure continued support for NS2 remains viable, that is fine. I'd prefer that the exclusive stuff remains exclusive, but I won't sit here and nerd-rage if it means UWE is in a better positon.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    but just dont see where 250.000 dollars was spent making 10 skins or cuple maps
    • People asked for years for a way to donate to UWE and that's exactly what the Reinforced program is: a voluntary means to donate.
    • UWE provided free content and hundreds of patches for years after launch, like they said they would, to include never once charging for a map to date.
    • Those donations are to help recoup the costs that were already spent on development after launch
    • The items given to larger donations like soundtracks, different models and badges were simply a "Thank you" from UWE for being a supporter.

i have not called anyone a "**** bag" like you wrote
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/scumbag-steve
    I am positive that you are aware of the purpose behind the use of a meme, that's why you took the time to photoshop it.
    And you obviously know what that particular meme means, because you sure didn't find that specific hat in a google image search for "hat", and when given that link you attempted to defend it still.
    You don't get to magically redefine a universally recognized image (meme) after you've been called out for using it.

Let's just agree it was a poor choice and move on..

• WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    IronHorse wrote: »
    but just dont see where 250.000 dollars was spent making 10 skins or cuple maps
    • People asked for years for a way to donate to UWE and that's exactly what the Reinforced program is: a voluntary means to donate.
    • UWE provided free content and hundreds of patches for years after launch, like they said they would, to include never once charging for a map to date.
    • Those donations are to help recoup the costs that were already spent on development after launch
    • The items given to larger donations like soundtracks, different models and badges were simply a "Thank you" from UWE for being a supporter.

It was a single year of free updates. The Reinforced Update came out August 2013, just 10 months after the game's launch. Let's not act like this was charity either. The reason developers release free updates as opposed to charging for them is the expectation that free updates will drive further sales of the game. If those sales don't manifest, then further free updates becomes a waste of resources.

I refuse to buy the whole notion that the Reinforced Program was merely a tool for donating to the studio. The language is fairly explicit in the promotional video: "Make your contribution today and help reinforce NS2." The main incentive for donating was to see further content updates.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    It's cool.

I just can't help but think that it was the engine where UWE went wrong. Very few people I know can run NS2 play-ably, let alone decently. A quad core Intel cpu (2008+) and a half decent video card should have been enough.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Since when does scumbag mean *****bag
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    V31GgaB.jpg

I'm totally not calling you a troll. I'm just superimposing a funny face on your avatar.

Move on Radimax. You know what you did. We all know you know what you did. If you wanna imply that UWE are scumbags than go ahead. There's plenty here who have a gripe with UWE, so at least own it rather than play innocent for lols because the innocent act is laughably transparent (and is not the first time you've done something like this IIRC). If you can't at least do that, then stop shitting up the thread with your nonsense.