ns2_hydra

Comments

• AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Been playing this map for quite some time now and the only real -problem- I've heard people complaining about is the extra tight corridors. Especially on the left side of the map. Visually and layout wise the map is amazing, it just feels too tight in some specific areas. (The rooms around coil).

Nevertheless it's one of my favorite custom maps, thank you for making it.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited October 2014
    changelog 006

. marines can now climb up into the rafters of subnautics via ladders
    . doorways around subnautics have been widened
    . some clutter was removed from various rooms
    . texture alignment improvements on some areas.
    . marines can only start hydro lift and aliens in test chamber.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    has this what it needs to become official?
    not sure on that inter, i think right now the map needs to be played more often on the lower pop servers. Problem is fewer low pop servers have custom maps running.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited November 2014
    Don't know if all this has been reported but here you go :
    - Holes in the aquarium in Aquarium.
    vQdyNJM.jpg
    Jm3wimd.jpg
    KOtCiCG.jpg
    - Pipes in Test Chambers can be stuck spots. You should work on some geometry there
    - Holes in Test Chambers
    FuodZOO.jpgYEsJour.jpg
    - big hole under the stairs in Monitoring
    TYkveLN.jpg
    - you should move the Pipe Stream room name on the minimap, so we can see better the location of the RT.
    - above Dagon you have something that is out of bounds but it still appears on the minimap.
    - there seems to be a lot of small vents that don't appear on the minimap, which is kind of confusing

Anyway, your map is beautiful but kind of small.
    This corridory map with a lot of vents reminds me of a small Eclipse.
    How does it work balance-wise ? I'm afraid Pipe Stream and Dagon Rts are too close, it almost guarantes 3 free RTs for the aliens. But once again, the map is kind of small so it might be easy for marines to push the aliens' naturals.
    I don't know. Has the TAW maptesting group tested Hydra ?
    edited November 2014
    they havent tested it yet, the reason why many vents dont appear on the minimap is because they go over actual rooms

from early playsessions the two rts dagon and pipe seem close but actually arent so close and tend to get attacked quite abit
    changelog 007

. fixed various holes in the map such as aquarium skybox
    . more texture alignment
    . marines can get in energy core vent with a little puzzle solving.
    . improvements to commander view
    . few unimportant bits of clutter removed
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Are you still looking for a logo for this? I had some ideas for it.

I was thinking of combining the myth of the Hydra with the myth of vasuki. Vasuki is a Hindu god, the king of the snakes, and is depicted as a cobra with many heads. (Just like the hydra, but king cobras specifically instead of generic serpents.) In the most famous myth involving Vasuki, the gods wrap vasuki around a mountain, and use him as a pulley to churn the ocean to bring forth the nectar of immortality. That would be the connection to this map. Underwater research station -> churning the ocean to bring forth immortality, seems like a nice thematic link.

I was thinking a profile shot of crashing waves circumscribed in a circle, but where the waves are made of the multiple cobra heads of vasuki/hydra, and the body of the serpent becomes the circle, like an ouroboros. Some images for inspiration. http://imgur.com/a/nY3lh

If this sounds interesting to you, I can start putting something together and see how it looks.
    sounds very interesting, if you make it and it looks good i will certainly use it
    changelog 008

.marines can now get into airflow vents from energy core.
    .vents in energy core lowered
    .marines can now more easily climb out from under catwalks
    .areas in energy core were marines can fall and become stuck have been fixed so marines can climb back out.

edited November 2014
    changelog 009

. fixed the shader spam error in console on high graphics options.. (if you do still get an error then let me know what room it was in so i can find the offending light)
    . fixed stuck location in catwalks (thanks supafred)
    . minor texture improvements
    . minor lighting improvements
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Here's what I have so far. What do you think? I'm not totally happy with the rendering on the central snake, I'm going to need to make some choices about color and detail level that I haven't really made yet, but the overall structure is about what I was going for I think.
    QaQFTfB.png
    edited November 2014
    Ok, I think this is looking pretty good. I put it in the color scheme of the map and committed a little more structurally. A few lines left to tweak, but I think it's basically there.

hoHGFdw.png
    edited November 2014
    looking good perhaps add the cobra like scale pattern to its body and circle as well? unless you think it would get to busy?

dagon pronounced daygon is a mythical diety from the lovecraftian cthulhu mythos. Father dagon and mother hydra.

order-of-dagon.png

perhaps an eye instead of a simple circle with the symbol in the middle
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Could look amazing if both were combined
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited November 2014
    Has the TAW maptesting group tested Hydra ?

Nope and it's not rly on our list because we have alot of map requests for our 1 map in 2 week schedule. Though if you want us to take a look at it I can put it on the list.

Oh do you still have problems with vents not showing up on the minimap? (haven't seen the map so far)
    If yes I can tell you how to solve that
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    moultano wrote: »
    Ok, I think this is looking pretty good. I put it in the color scheme of the map and committed a little more structurally. A few lines left to tweak, but I think it's basically there.

hoHGFdw.png

There is an issue there. If you shrink it to death you will not able to recognize the logo. It means it won't be recognizable from far away in the game. Which implies many things. And obviously a way of using it.

In the logo design :
    Simpler = better. Facing talks to the mind. Side means speed or movement (usually). like a walking man etc...

• KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Found a stuck spot in pipe stream:
    9C2FA89481FD7D7791B292B3C32B5D5ECF86F653

I love how pretty this map is. Looking forward to it becoming official someday!
    changelog 010

. fixed gap in geometry in southern halls
    . all vents now show up on the minimap
    . slight improvements to the minimap
    . names of rooms on the minimap moved around so important room details can be seen.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Make all layers visible.
    Select all, zoom on the selection.
    You'll see something weird.
    (same as the other map)
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    I found some spots that fades can't get into. Sorry I didn't have the map open for these, hopefully you can tell where they are.
    Under the gate in Monitoring:
    0F2C4A7A6D9AB264E5E55F23F134D72C0BB000AC

A vent in Monitoring:
    A98AB407AD9698B6CCBBD6BFB4E7621024F726BA

Also, the extractor in the southern tech point (I forget the name) doesn't have enough room for skulks to dance around it.
    edited November 2014
    changelog 011

.widened coil slightly to make it feel abit less cramped
    .removed pipe stream res node
    .new res node in approach
    .fixed stuck spot in server room
    .fixed stuck spot in catwalks
    .fixed stuck spot in pipe stream
    .moved pipes in pipe stream further back
    .basic minimap improvements

update.. thanks to keats

.fade can now get under partially open door in test chamber
    .fade can now use vent in array sonar
    .fade can now use monitoring vent
    .fixed holes above some doorways
    .minor texture alignment improvements
    .fixed hole in vent between descent and array sonar
    .extended res node area behind energy core (southern) tech point. aliens can now circle it

update.. thanks to flaterectomy

.swapped out the arch models in dagon to fit better with the surroundings
    .texture improvements
    .widened the doors in array sonar
    .widened doors in test chamber
    .fixed invisible ceiling issue in cradle
    .fixed geometry gaps in catwalk
    .beefed up the pipe display in coil
    .one reflection probe shared by all windows in cradle.

update

.moved props about in dagon to pressure control to give more space
    .made door arches higher in certain areas

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    My biggest concern with the map is that it's riddled with narrow corridors and doorways. Most corridors could do with at least 64 more units win width, if not more. The narrow doorways (that do look normal for humans, but we have to cater to aliens and space to play in) create some very regular choke points. Receiving, while right outside marine start
    (which I find to be too cramped a room for marines too), is super alien friendly.

While I mostly like the colours you used in your lighting scheme, there are often too many used at once. The general aqua lighting is often accented with both yellow/orange and bright red lights, making things a little candy-coloured. I feel the aqua lighting doesn't really suit the Eclipse art assets very well, though it at times does blend the Refinery assets into it. I say 'at times', because there are definitely style clashes between the grimier Refinery assets and the cleaner Eclipse assets. This arch prop is a good example of a prop that doesn't suit the primary Eclipse-asset theme (the wavy water shader looks out-of-place too, should probably only be used for surface water):
    GdpDrxW.jpg

The exterior underwater scenes could be lit-up with more saturated blue lighting, to give it a more deep sea look. I'd not use the alien structures as underwater vegetation as they pop out in alien vision too.

This map feels like it has a ton of potential though, I hope my feedback helps.

Some screenshots from last night's game:

You have a little gap here.
    uqbdUYr.jpg
    88tjaEV.jpg

The invisible ceiling up here is unnecessary and very confusing, I don't see a reason why aliens shouldn't get up there.
    UfxB0Q3.jpg

A very long LOS that goes beyond draw distance, making players disappear at the far end. I forgot to screenshot the map location, but I believe this is at the southern end of Descent, looking north.
    VjXytu1.jpg

I like the idea, but it needs some improvements. Embed the pipes deeper into the walls and give it a thicker trim. It currently seems flat and flimsy; it needs to be a little beefier.
    dgi18gs.jpg

You appear to have a small-radius reflection probe per window here, causing the strange circular reflections. Try having a go at a single reflection probe that covers all windows.
    Brz63N8.jpg
    thanks for the feedback flaterectomy, updated the map with some changes..

i might open the door at the far end of receiving and have to go to the power node of uplink, move the powernode to the lift in uplink

as for the los issue in descent i could have 1 side of the arches sealed off with a door but i would rather not do that.

opening up the corridors would require some major work with limited space to work with so i will do it eventually but only when its a last resort.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2014
    https://trello.com/c/DFPaGYZ9/581-fix-clogs-having-decals-projected-onto-them-fix-decals-being-projected-onto-view-models-allow-mappers-to-not-highlight-entities-
    Was FINALLY approved so you'll see this next patch. Until then I can send you files to include in your mod for now. Let's you use props and not have them highlighted in AV
  • TermFragsTermFrags Tampa, FL Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156877Members, NS2 Playtester
    Added this map to Iron Heights' map vote and rotation! However, I do have a question since I wasn't hosting when custom maps were around...

@deathshroud , you update this map often. @SamusDroid , when the map is updated to the workshop, will I have to re-add the map to the servers mod command line option to download the new version? Or is the reference to the workshop ID in MapCycle.json enough to make the server download the newest version of the map when it changes to Hydra? Please let me know, because this map is awesome and hosting the latest version is definitely preferable. Documentation on hosting custom maps is scarce.
    TermFrags wrote: »
    Added this map to Iron Heights' map vote and rotation! However, I do have a question since I wasn't hosting when custom maps were around...

@deathshroud , you update this map often. @SamusDroid , when the map is updated to the workshop, will I have to re-add the map to the servers mod command line option to download the new version? Or is the reference to the workshop ID in MapCycle.json enough to make the server download the newest version of the map when it changes to Hydra? Please let me know, because this map is awesome and hosting the latest version is definitely preferable. Documentation on hosting custom maps is scarce.

From my experience :
    Usually you don't have to do anything as the server will update automatically once it has the workshop name & ID (config file). BUT each update may cause a bug. When the server looks for the latest version and it finds there is one; somehow the server hangs. People timeout and get disconnected (sudden server death).

Go to the web interface (usually there's one) Change the map (even change for the same map) and it works again. It may be a workshop bug, a NS2 server <-> workshop bug or a NS2 server bug. dunno!

Other than that we would have many issues about mod version if it wasn't automated. Client also update on their own when they launch Steam/NS2 if i'm correct.
  • TermFragsTermFrags Tampa, FL Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156877Members, NS2 Playtester
    From my experience :
    Usually you don't have to do anything as the server will update automatically once it has the workshop name & ID (config file). BUT each update may cause a bug. When the server looks for the latest version and it finds there is one; somehow the server hangs. People timeout and get disconnected (sudden server death).

Go to the web interface (usually there's one) Change the map (even change for the same map) and it works again. It may be a workshop bug, a NS2 server <-> workshop bug or a NS2 server bug. dunno!

Other than that we would have many issues about mod version if it wasn't automated. Client also update on their own when they launch Steam/NS2 if i'm correct.

Awesome sir, that's leaps forward. It helps sleeping better at night knowing the server will at least try to update to the latest version since if the server is obtaining it from the workshop, the client must be doing so as well and so both are in version. However it's unfortunate it freezes. Are you hosting on a Windows server?
    TermFrags wrote: »
    From my experience :

Awesome sir, that's leaps forward. It helps sleeping better at night knowing the server will at least try to update to the latest version since if the server is obtaining it from the workshop, the client must be doing so as well and so both are in version. However it's unfortunate it freezes. Are you hosting on a Windows server?

I don't really know. I suppose so as the ISP runs many games.
    edited November 2014
    What i usually do is check the active servers before uploading the map to make sure it isnt being played when i update it. This is because if the map is updated whilst in play no new players can join the server with the old version they get a mod conflict error until map change and the server then updates