NS2: Combat Release Date Announced! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• BraxBrax Atlanta Join Date: 2014-03-17 Member: 194791Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My issue is that I bought probably 25 copies of the game - at least- for friends over the past 2 years. In addition to donating to UWE to further and hopefully increase development of a finished product. Now, 2 years later, to continue playing a gamemode I'd already been playing, (and really the reason I bought the game for so many people,) I'm told all of that wasn't enough and I have to shell out even more money to keep going.

Kind of feels like when you're playing an android/ios app with in-app purchases, and you manage to get *almost* to where you want to be, and they ask you for MORE money than you already paid to continue. Last night's episode of Southpark comes to mind.

Dick move UWE. Couldn't even email those of us who donated, who have actively been involved in the community, and ask our opinion?

Not only does this make me not want to buy/play NS2:C. It makes me want to never go back to NS2 - further depleting the user base. I could see a 1 or 2 $ fee for DLC, but not an extra $15. For a mod.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think TB said it perfectly in the above video that Combat was doomed from the start: "On it's (Combat's) own, it's not a bad game. Assuming that NS2 didn't exist, this game would be a very solid $15 shooter. But it doesn't exist in a vaccum making it hard to detach from the original NS2".
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Brax wrote: »
    In addition to donating to UWE to further and hopefully increase development of a finished product. Now, 2 years later, to continue playing a gamemode I'd already been playing, (and really the reason I bought the game for so many people,) I'm told all of that wasn't enough and I have to shell out even more money to keep going.
    UWE didn't make Combat, they merely published it. The guys who made Combat Mod (Faultline Games) chose to go on and make it a standalone game with UWE's support. I'm pretty sure that combat mod is still playable, though it's buggy and not balanced. Combat MOD breaks every time we patch NS2. How can you condemn these guys for not continuing to patch a mod, for free, when they can instead make a real game and get a paycheck?
    Dick move UWE. Couldn't even email those of us who donated, who have actively been involved in the community, and ask our opinion?
    Why would that be a community decision? The Faultline guys want to make games. Real games. Not just mods. That is not something for the community to decide. You can have an opinion all you want, but that's ultimately not up to the community.
    Not only does this make me not want to buy/play NS2:C. It makes me want to never go back to NS2 - further depleting the user base. I could see a 1 or 2 $ fee for DLC, but not an extra $15. For a mod.
    NS2:C is not NS2 DLC. So this is irrelevant. It's absurd to say "Oh, Faultline made a game set in the NS2 universe but they didn't give it to me for free, I'm boycotting NS2". It doesn't make sense. NS2:C is much more fleshed out and involved than the mod ever was.
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    I bought NS2 Combat on launch day and removed it 3 days later. The gameplay is significantly different from NS2 in many ways, not all of which I can get used to. Aliens are significantly weaker and my k/d is running at 1:3 where my normal rate is 1:1. It's discouraging and frustrating so I said forget it.
  • gimmicgimmic Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183555Members
    edited November 2014
    Decoy wrote: »
    NS2:C is not NS2 DLC. So this is irrelevant. It's absurd to say "Oh, Faultline made a game set in the NS2 universe but they didn't give it to me for free, I'm boycotting NS2". It doesn't make sense. NS2:C is much more fleshed out and involved than the mod ever was.

Except that it is still at heart a mod which is 'much more fleshed out' than the predecessor. When 85% of the content in your standalone game is from another developer, you've created a mod- regardless of the format you release it in.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    gimmic wrote: »
    Decoy wrote: »

Except that it is still at heart a mod which is 'much more fleshed out' than the predecessor. When 85% of the content in your standalone game is from another developer, you've created a mod- regardless of the format you release it in.
    What 85% of the content? Are you talking models and assets? Those are simply aesthetic measures. If it had new models and looked like an entirely different game but played the same exact gameplay would you then consider it not a mod?

Ns1 was a mod, so isn't ns2 a mod also?
    edited November 2014
    Come on, use just a little logic here.

NS2:C Hardly just borrows models and assets. Engine, mechanics, gameplay elements, abilities, lore.. by definition(and codebase) it is a fork of an existing product.

NS1 was very much a mod which brought new content to the table.
    NS2 was an entire rewrite built from the engine up and stood well on it's own as a successor to a mod, NS1.
    NS2:C is a mod of NS2, not a successor to NS2.

I enjoy NS2:C, but it is fundamentally a standalone published mod.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    gimmic wrote: »
    Come on, use just a little logic here.

NS2:C Hardly just borrows models and assets. Engine, mechanics, gameplay elements, abilities.. by definition(and codebase) it is a fork of an existing product.
    NS1 was very much a mod which brought new content to the table. NS2 was an entire rewrite built from the engine up and stood well on it's own as a successor to a mod. NS2C is a mod of NS2, not a successor of NS2.

I enjoy NS2:C, but it is fundamentally a standalone published mod.

It's just semantics at that point, you can call it a mod if you like but it still would never have been made for free, or $2 or $5.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Hmmm I see a lot of people throwing around different mod comparisons. There are differences between these mods, and their origin stories. First off, there are two paths a mod can go down. Total conversion, and partial conversion. Total conversion aka counter-strike to half life or ns1 to half life is where a new game is spawned and has a majority of the assets and gameplay replaced to make it nearly unidentifiable from the original game. Partial conversion is where some of the original game is changed to create a new game, some new content and assets are added but a majority of the assets/textures/models etc are leftover from the original game aka Arma II to DayZ or in this case, NS2 to NS2 Combat. Obviously there is a spectrum and not a category but these 'classifications' are why you can't compare combat to ns1 or counter-strike.

But hang on, the DayZ team made a stand-alone version of their mod... Obviously it isn't complete yet, but I believe they are taking this opportunity to improve what was impossible for the original mod. Shame the same wasn't done for combat.
    Zek wrote: »
    It's just semantics at that point, you can call it a mod if you like but it still would never have been made for free, or $2 or $5.

Note I never mentioned anything about price. Games nor mods get developed for a specific price point, they are sold at a value which is perceived to provide the most return.

Especially In a multiplayer-only game, the price point is completely irrelevant if you have an insufficient number of players.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sebb wrote: »
    Hmmm I see a lot of people throwing around different mod comparisons. There are differences between these mods, and their origin stories. First off, there are two paths a mod can go down. Total conversion, and partial conversion. Total conversion aka counter-strike to half life or ns1 to half life is where a new game is spawned and has a majority of the assets and gameplay replaced to make it nearly unidentifiable from the original game. Partial conversion is where some of the original game is changed to create a new game, some new content and assets are added but a majority of the assets/textures/models etc are leftover from the original game aka Arma II to DayZ or in this case, NS2 to NS2 Combat. Obviously there is a spectrum and not a category but these 'classifications' are why you can't compare combat to ns1 or counter-strike.

But hang on, the DayZ team made a stand-alone version of their mod... Obviously it isn't complete yet, but I believe they are taking this opportunity to improve what was impossible for the original mod. Shame the same wasn't done for combat.

The real issue is that DayZ (and most other mods) add new content... All NS2:C does, when you really boil it down, is take content away. Yes, you can say that it's a streamlined version of the game and more accessible (although the TB video pretty clearly proves that there's a lot more to the learning curve than just the commander/resource system), but what is this game going to look like to the average observer? It's going to look like they're asking you to pay more money for less actual game content.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Make combat a part of ns2.exe again and make it feel like ns2 like it should have been from the start.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    You guys do remember what happened when Combat was sharing the same engine as NS2 right?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    You guys do remember what happened when Combat was sharing the same engine as NS2 right?
    Do tell.
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Do tell.

It broke with every patch.
    Having both games run on their own independent version of spark and having a dedicated team maintaining each game seems like a much better solution.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Do tell.

Having both games run on their own independent version of spark and having a dedicated team maintaining each game seems like a much better solution.
    I figured you meant that, but that has nothing to do with the engine and more to do with it being a mod dependant of NS2 game code.
    edited November 2014
    Do tell.

I figured you meant that, but that has nothing to do with the engine and more to do with it being a mod dependant of NS2 game code.

Wouldn't it still be more of a hassle trying to tailor the engine to suit both game modes rather than having them run independently on their own dedicated engine?

edited November 2014
    Do tell.

Wouldn't it still be more of a hassle trying to tailor the engine to suit both game modes rather than having them run independently on their own dedicated engine?
    Why don't you read what I posted? The engine can and does work with both. The issue is the game code (lua). Combat depends on a lot of the work that was already done in vanilla and the mod works assuming the vanilla code is there, so when that code changes, the mod breaks.

The NS2 engine doesn't change that often, what changes often is the game code, which is what makes mods break.
    Do tell.

Why don't you read what I posted? The engine can and does work with both. The issue is the game code (lua). Combat depends on a lot of the work that was already done in vanilla and the mod works assuming the vanilla code is there, so when that code changes, the mod breaks.

The NS2 engine doesn't change that often, what changes often is the game code, which is what makes mods break.

I know what you posted and took it in, but may not have been clear about what I mean now. At the moment I'm shifting over to a quality of life argument, as both games fork away from each other having complete independence should in theory give more creative freedom.
    I know what you're saying, but you're blaming the wrong thing. The engine has nothing to do with it. You can bundle all the vanilla files you need with the mod and it wouldn't break on updates. Simple as that. That's pretty much what the standalone is doing.
    edited November 2014
    I know what you're saying, but you're blaming the wrong thing. The engine has nothing to do with it. You can bundle all the vanilla files you need with the mod and it wouldn't break on updates. Simple as that. That's pretty much what the standalone is doing.

Not any more. You pretty much explained that part a few posts back. I'm talking about two teams trying to cram two games that are heading in their own direction into the same client (with their own menus, settings, update schedules etc.) I know it can be done, but is having two teams work on their own thing in the same environment better than each having their own?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2014
    Let me see if I can put this in a more visual explanation ->

NS2 is basically a mod on Spark
    \SteamApps\common\natural selection 2\ns2

NS2:Combat is a mod on Spark - which is heavily reliant on NS2 lua and assets
    \SteamApps\common\Combat\combat
    \SteamApps\common\Combat\ns2 (now detached from NS2 development)

If they would be working in the same environment "natuiral selction 2 folder", when something changes in the NS2 core lua files, it will break NS2:Combat every time. Faultline would constantly have to document and fix the issues, adding more unintended workload for the small team. Not to mention trying to hunt down the possible bugs, caused by these NS2 changes.

The lack of a proper framework for mods is what is causing this for the most part. It would require a complete rewrite of Combat, which would take a lot of time. Add to this the maximum file size of 100Mb for Workshop mods, they can't "simply" detach themselves from the ns2 folder, going standalone was the only viable option for them.

However this brings me to my other point of marketing, NS2:Combat looks and behaves from an outsiders view similar to NS2...

"If it looks like a Skulk, bounces around like a Skulk, it must be a Skulk"

So they conclude: Why do I have to buy the same game again, which is the main issue. Because Combat is nothing like NS2 in terms of gameplay, it fits in more with MOBA type of games then FPS+RTS. Add to this the bigger issue of no proper matchmaking, very small playerbase and pro players being placed in the same room as the newbies. It is a setup for a huge issue.

@TotalBuiscuit for instance is a newbie, even if likes to pretend he's not :P But seeing all the problems he has on the alien team and to a lesser extend on the more familiar marine team, it becomes very obvious this game has a huge learning curve, due to the even heavier than NS2 dependence on individual skill. And the MOBA type of feeding problem due to the proVSnewbie issue, is not helping this issue :(
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Let me see if I can put this in a more visual explanation ->

NS2 is basically a mod on Spark
    \SteamApps\common\natural selection 2\ns2

NS2:Combat is a mod on Spark - which is heavily reliant on NS2 lua and assets
    \SteamApps\common\Combat\combat
    \SteamApps\common\Combat\ns2 (now detached from NS2 development)

If they would be working in the same environment "natuiral selction 2 folder", when something changes in the NS2 core lua files, it will break NS2:Combat every time. Faultline would constantly have to document and fix the issues, adding more unintended workload for the small team. Not to mention trying to hunt down the possible bugs, caused by these NS2 changes.

The lack of a proper framework for mods is what is causing this for the most part. It would require a complete rewrite of Combat, which would take a lot of time. Add to this the maximum file size of 100Mb for Workshop mods, they can't "simply" detach themselves from the ns2 folder, going standalone was the only viable option for them.

However this brings me to my other point of marketing, NS2:Combat looks and behaves from an outsiders view similar to NS2...

"If it looks like a Skulk, bounces around like a Skulk, it must be a Skulk"

So they conclude: Why do I have to buy the same game again, which is the main issue. Because Combat is nothing like NS2 in terms of gameplay, it fits in more with MOBA type of games then FPS+RTS. Add to this the bigger issue of no proper matchmaking, very small playerbase and pro players being placed in the same room as the newbies. It is a setup for a huge issue.

TB for instance is a newbie, even if likes to pretend he's not :P But seeing all the problems he has on the alien team and to a lesser extend on the more familiar marine team, it becomes very obvious this game has a huge learning curve, due to the even heavier than NS2 dependence on individual skill. And the MOBA type of feeding problem due to the proVSnewbie issue, is not helping this issue :(
    The NS2 lua code, uncompressed, is 8 MBs... so you could really "lock down" the game code if you really wanted for a workshop mod.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    How many of you PLAYED SA combat?
    I did.

I have issues with the game on server performance, certain sounds and menus. THATS IT.

* Balance is better then the mod. (not ideal but better)
    * More maps.
    * More gamemodes.. (I like variation)
    * Own ranking. (lets be realistic, many ppl in deathmatch games like ranking)
    * Any mod on workshop for SA combat IS for SA combat.
    * More abilities and options in combat. (whips, phasegates, turrets).. you can complain about it, but I say variation is a good thing.

Could they have done better in terms of promotion and certain issues before they released it? I would think they may have at least on the issue part.
    Is the game MUCH more then the mod? Yes
    Did they make the mod before? Yes
    Do I blame them for making it standalone? No
    DO I think this game is fine 'as a game' if they fix the performance and similar issues? Yes.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    How many of you PLAYED SA combat?
    I did.

I have issues with the game on server performance, certain sounds and menus. THATS IT.

* Balance is better then the mod. (not ideal but better)
    * More maps.
    * More gamemodes.. (I like variation)
    * Own ranking. (lets be realistic, many ppl in deathmatch games like ranking)
    * Any mod on workshop for SA combat IS for SA combat.
    * More abilities and options in combat. (whips, phasegates, turrets).. you can complain about it, but I say variation is a good thing.

Could they have done better in terms of promotion and certain issues before they released it? I would think they may have at least on the issue part.
    Is the game MUCH more then the mod? Yes
    Did they make the mod before? Yes
    Do I blame them for making it standalone? No
    DO I think this game is fine 'as a game' if they fix the performance and similar issues? Yes.

I think where there's a disconnect is, You compare Ns2:C to the mod, wheras some of us compare it NS2:C to NS2. So in that light, let's re-evaluate using your language.

Is the game [NS:C] MUCH more then NS2? -No
    Do I blame them [FLG] for making it standalone? -Of course, who else to blame?
    DO I think this game [NS:C] is fine 'as a game compared to NS2' if they fix the performance and similar issues? -Absolutely not.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    I was not planning to buy combat, only maybe if it had a really good sale. I didn't see a point because I never liked combat mod that much compared to ns2. Then I got the game for free.

I actually had tons of fun playing it. It played very different than ns2, because it is ns2: combat, and it plays different than combat mod. If I hadn't played the game I wouldn't of agreed with DC_darkling.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Why would I want to compare SA Combat to NS2 Vanilla?
    Its like comparing 2 games in the same game universe. No sense.

Do I think ns2 vanilla is superior to SA combat? Yes I do. Do I think 'dragon age 2' is superior to 'dragon age 1'? Both different games but still in the same universe? Yes I do.
    Comparing different types of games (pure deathmatch vs rts/fps mix) is rather silly, its a different genre.

Most here have issues with the following:
    * can not use combat to fill time gaps and swap in the same server browser to vanilla. (like possible in ns1)
    - Ok agreed.
    * Its not free or to expensive.
    - as a game (and not a dlc) the pricing is fine.
    * It should have been a free dlc.
    - So if another popular mod, lets say MvM, wants to go standalone, you will also have a issue? It has been said that a DLC on lower princing would not be profitable. SO no point making it from a money perspective.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    I think the question that should have been asked was "is there a big enough market to make this worthwhile".

Seeing as the main group of people who would want this would be ns2 vets, I can't imagine a scenario where the answer would be yes.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why would I want to compare SA Combat to NS2 Vanilla?
    Its like comparing 2 games in the same game universe. No sense.

Do I think ns2 vanilla is superior to SA combat? Yes I do. Do I think 'dragon age 2' is superior to 'dragon age 1'? Both different games but still in the same universe? Yes I do.
    Comparing different types of games (pure deathmatch vs rts/fps mix) is rather silly, its a different genre.

Most here have issues with the following:
    * can not use combat to fill time gaps and swap in the same server browser to vanilla. (like possible in ns1)
    - Ok agreed.
    * Its not free or to expensive.
    - as a game (and not a dlc) the pricing is fine.
    * It should have been a free dlc.
    - So if another popular mod, lets say MvM, wants to go standalone, you will also have a issue? It has been said that a DLC on lower princing would not be profitable. SO no point making it from a money perspective.

NS2 is NS2:C's competitor, NOT NS2's combatmod.

So yes, if MvM wants to go standalone, that's fine, but they damn better make a good product that is worth buying as it is going to have to compete with NS2's MvM. Even if NS2's MvM is inferior, the fact that you get NS2 with it gives it value. To ignore that value is "No sense".
    But in that regard, ns2 combat MOD is still there and ready for grabs with ns2 vanilla.
    You are not making sense.

You say ns2 is NS2 SA COmbat competitor.
    Then you say (in our hypothesis) that MvM would be MvM mod competitor.

But NS2 is not the same as combat in both genre and gameplay. MvM technicly would. Apples and oranges, you are not making fair comparisions.
    And NS2 Combat mod vs NS2 SA Combat I would argue SA COmbat is vastly superior still.