How is NS2 faring ??

13»

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Loki wrote: »
    @james888 no just no

At this point I think the only way it will happen is if I learn to code and do it myself. Its a fantastical idea.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2014
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Just to give you guys an idea how we are doing in comparison to other multiplayer games, released around the same time as NS2 (some with MUCH higher PR budgets). For the last 7 days:
    Tribes
    McWfyi8.png

Unless something changed, I wouldn't put tribes on the list because you can't know how people people are actually playing it. HiRez has their own launcher for the game that existed and was the original way to open the game before steam, so it's likely more people are launching via that.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    RadimaX wrote: »

but hawken is a free shitgame thouh, so why does Most epic game in world history (NS2) have same numbers?...

The degree to which player skill and the absolute dependence on having both a competent team and competent commander impact the game is a large reason the playerbase didn't grow in my opinion. In addition to game play verity just isn't there that many other games offer to keep the game from getting repetitive. Performance issues early on also didn't help things when the game did have reasonable numbers.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited October 2014
    @McGlaspie‌ MvM INFESTED MARINES

Suicide bomber variety or crappy machine gun variety?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    ...i fricking hate, infested marines...
    Goddamn Zerg.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "Missing Required MOD ...'

I never downloaded a MOD voluntarily in the games existence ... what have you dweebs done to NS2?
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    "Missing Required MOD ...'

I never downloaded a MOD voluntarily in the games existence ... what have you dweebs done to NS2?

Dude, you've opened a more or less troll thread on this topic.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    current1y wrote: »
    RadimaX wrote: »

but hawken is a free shitgame thouh, so why does Most epic game in world history (NS2) have same numbers?...

The degree to which player skill and the absolute dependence on having both a competent team and competent commander impact the game is a large reason the playerbase didn't grow in my opinion. In addition to game play verity just isn't there that many other games offer to keep the game from getting repetitive. Performance issues early on also didn't help things when the game did have reasonable numbers.

This is a 2 edge sword imho. If NS2 was more "mass appeal" like easy to get into, then it would also miss alot of its elements that make this game so intense, such as competent team and commander to have a great game (the quality of your game experience will degrade as these two elements trend toward bad). I can't help but feel the community that has stayed with it can see team work as an absolute requirement for a great game. It would be interesting to see the NS:Combat experiment and see how that goes, as it forgoes alot of the strategic elements and is more "mass appeal".
    PS. I will buy Combat when it comes out as I love all things NS (just so you don't think I am dissing Combat).
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    It's going the NS1 route. Games are too long and complicated for passive players while there just isn't enough advertising for competitive to go big on twitch and youtube and give it the spectator traction that would pull in more players. Sadly, unless you have millions to burn on staying in the spotlight, you pretty much get one shot to stick to the wall once thrown. NS2 had some media coverage but simply failed to stick. Eventually, the game will wind down to a small dedicated fanbase and then die a quiet noble death once something newer and shinier comes around to fill its spot.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Maxx11_v2.0‌ I am ok with that, as I am hoping the newer shinier thing is called NS3 :-)
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    NS2 Combat is definitely focusing on the mass appeal direction which in the end should draw in a stronger player base.

Things like matchmaking, out of match player progression, weldable doors, more consistent conclusion to match are just a few of the advantages it has.

If you love the NS2 universe, this will feel comfortable - sans the commanders.

I love the strategy layer of NS2, but I've got to say as a initial skeptic, NS2 combat is pretty fun to get your NS2 fix and your combat on, to a degree it still has strategy, but that's more or less the teamwork between your team versus theirs, especially when things start getting intense.

Also, as of 2 minutes ago:

• Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited October 2014
    NS2 Combat is definitely focusing on the mass appeal direction which in the end should draw in a stronger player base.

Things like matchmaking, out of match player progression, weldable doors, more consistent conclusion to match are just a few of the advantages it has.

If you love the NS2 universe, this will feel comfortable - sans the commanders.

I love the strategy layer of NS2, but I've got to say as a initial skeptic, NS2 combat is pretty fun to get your NS2 fix and your combat on, to a degree it still has strategy, but that's more or less the teamwork between your team versus theirs, especially when things start getting intense.

Also, as of 2 minutes ago:

Why would they make a release when most people will be out celebrating the new year?
    Nvm, read December for some bizzare reason (I know, not even close), must be tired.

On a side note, is it free or will it require a purchase. Don't see a price on the store page.
    It is a standalone game, I...can't say the pricepoint, as I am unsure if I can. But it is not free, but I can tell you that it's worth the price point (for me anyways)
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    At this point the only interesting thing in this topic is how Maxx somehow mistook October as December. O_o