Bugs Lite

MashpitSquaredMashpitSquared Texas, USA Join Date: 2014-01-13 Member: 193053Members
Not sure if this is the right forum for it, I guess it'll get moved if it's in the wrong place.
These bugs have probably been reported before, but I encountered them several times lately (and haven't seen anything on trello that indicates that they're up for a fix), so I decided to make a forum post listing them just to be on the safe side.
None of these bugs are game-breaking, but certainly are an annoyance.

- Clogs have strange collision behavior when dropped - for example, when two clogs are piled up, and then the bottom clog is destroyed. Most noticeable as a Skulk trying to walk on/over said clogs.
- Phasegates glitch when multiple marines try to use it at the same time, getting the marines stuck in an infinite teleport loop through the phasegate system until they are killed.
- Grenades from the GL have a strange tendency to ricochet towards alien structures and lifeforms, even when all laws of physics dictate against it. Not sure if this is intended.
- On failing to join a server, main menu background changes to ns2_summit's Flight Control window. Pretty sure this is meant to be in the game, but just wanted to know if I was getting a sneak peek of an upcoming feature.
- Shotgun reload animation sometimes slams down the loading port twice.
- The ye-olde "Rifle jam" bug.

I probably encountered some other bugs during my time playing NS2, but can't recall them all.
Are there any plans to fix these in the near or far future?

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    - Clogs have strange collision behavior when dropped - for example, when two clogs are piled up, and then the bottom clog is destroyed. Most noticeable as a Skulk trying to walk on/over said clogs.
    Already known. Not easily fixable
    - Phasegates glitch when multiple marines try to use it at the same time, getting the marines stuck in an infinite teleport loop through the phasegate system until they are killed.
    - On failing to join a server, main menu background changes to ns2_summit's Flight Control window. Pretty sure this is meant to be in the game, but just wanted to know if I was getting a sneak peek of an upcoming feature.
    The only possible explanation for this is that you somehow have combat mod mounted
    - Grenades from the GL have a strange tendency to ricochet towards alien structures and lifeforms, even when all laws of physics dictate against it. Not sure if this is intended.
    Grenades are well...grenades...they do weird things
    - Shotgun reload animation sometimes slams down the loading port twice.
    This is relaced to prediction I believe, not really fixable
    - The ye-olde "Rifle jam" bug.
    This is an old bug that is pretty much unfixable most likely due to prediction issues
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited September 2014
    Regarding the clog thing, I noticed that it effects all lifeforms and both aliens and marines (i didn't check if jp/exo make a difference however). Also, the bug stops after you've died and respawned (and remains if you simply evolve a different lifeform). I forget whether it is if you die after one of the clog is destroyed/removed or after the problem clog is first placed (before it becomes a problem), but I think it's the former. It also happens if you're not on the clog stack itself, but on any surface directly above the problem clog (like a ledge, although the number of places where you can even intentionally reproduce this is fairly limited). It also ceases to be a problem if you're too high above the problem clog. IIRC 2 clogs worth of height above the problem clog is still an issue, but 3 isn't.

You may already know all/some of that. In case any of this is new to you, I hope it helps, because I hate that bug, and I find myself replacing entire clog towers as gorge just to avoid the jittering.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    SamusDroid wrote: »

This one I've always been curious about, mainly because this bug didnt exist a few builds ago. What changes bought this bug?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »

This one I've always been curious about, mainly because this bug didnt exist a few builds ago. What changes bought this bug?

This has been around a lot longer than you think. It started when phasegates became predicted, which was around 10 builds ago.

PS: OP next time you have questions about a bug, feel free to ask in this thread http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132354/question-about-a-bug-or-whats-being-worked-on-ask-away#latest
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @SamusDroid‌ Wow 10 builds ago already? How time flies :)
    Are you able to explain why PGs were made predicted in the first place? I wasn't aware of any problem with how they worked before.
    edited September 2014
    @SamusDroid‌ Wow 10 builds ago already? How time flies :)
    Are you able to explain why PGs were made predicted in the first place? I wasn't aware of any problem with how they worked before.

When you phased through things were still loading which means you lagged and had shutters= dead
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    There's also a weird animation bug where if you're holding a shotgun and hold E to build a structure, when you release E or finish the structure, the shotgun will do a "firing" animation but make no sound. Luckily, it doesn't interfere with gameplay but its still odd and I've only noticed it recently.

That being said, it's sad the PG infinitely stuck bug is unlikely to be fixed as I've seen it end games consistently but still, it isn't too common unless you're on Wooza's server.

Seen on trello that the PG phasing to the same room bug is being looked at. Sounds good.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Does anyone get a bug where you fire your rifle for one or two bullets, but the Firing Sound keeps playing for the whole clip? Switching weapon seems to help.

This has been happening for many builds.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Does anyone get a bug where you fire your rifle for one or two bullets, but the Firing Sound keeps playing for the whole clip? Switching weapon seems to help.

This has been happening for many builds.

For me firing another bullet usually stops it.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah that solves it but it is annoying.