Hall of Fame

Comments

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    you forgot yourself off that list @F0RDPREFECT. Long-standing SCC member/nuisance, maker of NS2_frost, WC attendee etc
    Also @troops for co founding the SCC, PTing, for giving mapping a good try and being general NS2 comedy Legend
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Howser wrote: »
    you forgot yourself off that list @F0RDPREFECT. Long-standing SCC member/nuisance, maker of NS2_frost, WC attendee etc
    Also @troops for co founding the SCC, PTing, for giving mapping a good try and being general NS2 comedy Legend

Troops! Right, forgot him :D

And it's hubris to nominate yourself. Also, I'm not really sure about the future of frost. I got a game idea that I want to work on, and I can either do that OR frost besides university, both is just not going to work. And ns2 mapping does not really have a future :\
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited September 2014
    And it's hubris to nominate yourself.
    i wouldn't have done that if it wasnt for this (from "THE REVIVAL OF SQUAD 5" by decoy):
    How do I get nominated for Squad 5?
    You can nominate yourself or you can be nominated by someone else. If you are nominating someone else, please be sure to include their forum username with your post. The post must include some kind of proof for the good deeds that you have done. Nobody will be awarded a Squad 5 badge without adequate proof.
    and i dont see a reason why this would be ashaming: in the end, it's not for the nominator to decide wether the badge is actually awarded or not, so i don't see a problem there.
    if you didn't allow self-nominations, some people would ask buddies behind the scenes to nominate them and i don't see a reason why that kind of behaviour should be encouraged as it seems much more lame than a self-nomination tbh.
    the badge should be about having contributed to the community as a whole, not for socializing with the right individuals on the forums.
    not everyone is posting on the forums and not everyone knows about the squad 5 program. and even if they do:
    Troops! Right, forgot him
    in my case, i listed stuff that's partially years ago and i don't expect anyone (actually not even myself, i had to do some research) to have an overview there. if you nominate yourself, you can at least get the facts straight.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    And it's hubris to nominate yourself.
    i wouldn't have done that if it wasnt for this (from "THE REVIVAL OF SQUAD 5" by decoy):
    How do I get nominated for Squad 5?
    You can nominate yourself or you can be nominated by someone else. If you are nominating someone else, please be sure to include their forum username with your post. The post must include some kind of proof for the good deeds that you have done. Nobody will be awarded a Squad 5 badge without adequate proof.
    and i dont see a reason why this would be ashaming: in the end, it's not for the nominator to decide wether the badge is actually awarded or not, so i don't see a problem there.
    if you didn't allow self-nominations, some people would ask buddies behind the scenes to nominate them and i don't see a reason why that kind of behaviour should be encouraged as it seems much more lame than a self-nomination tbh.
    the badge should be about having contributed to the community as a whole, not for socializing with the right individuals on the forums.
    not everyone is posting on the forums and not everyone knows about the squad 5 program. and even if they do:
    Troops! Right, forgot him
    in my case, i listed stuff that's partially years ago and i don't expect anyone (actually not even myself, i had to do some research) to have an overview there. if you nominate yourself, you can at least get the facts straight.

Okay, okay, I nominate myself, as most awesome person of the universe(TM). I haven't done a lot, though, except talking. There's that excuse of a map called frost, and I've been briefly (while successfully) Combat PT Lead. But that's Combat, not NS2.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pelargir wrote: »
    I'd like to nominate every involved guys who are currently working on the various translations for NS2, but I don't know all of them. I hope they'll be rewarded for their work as well. :)

I hereby nominate myself for Squad 5 Blue badge. I have currently translated all remaining strings of NS2 into Swedish. They now only need approval to make it into the game. As for proof I think @Mendasp should be able to verify the large number of strings I have submitted.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    d4rkAlf wrote: »
    I'd like to nominate every involved guys who are currently working on the various translations for NS2, but I don't know all of them. I hope they'll be rewarded for their work as well. :)

I hereby nominate myself for Squad 5 Blue badge. I have currently translated all remaining strings of NS2 into Swedish. They now only need approval to make it into the game. As for proof I think @Mendasp should be able to verify the large number of strings I have submitted.

I can confirm this statement.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    edited September 2014
    We were just checking over Squad 5, realized that Blind and RedDog were only given blue squad five. It was discussed internally, and they were both upgraded to Gold. There's really no question about it. Both @Blind and @RedDog have given soooo much to the community through casting, refereeing, their work with the NS2WC, and just how genuinely wonderful they are! <3

Please keep Squad 5 nominations coming - We can't give out the badges without your nominations!
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    Decoy wrote: »
    We were just checking over Squad 5, realized that Blind and RedDog were only given blue squad five. It was discussed internally, and they were both upgraded to Gold.

It doesn't sound like a decision but more like a reaction from something, transparancy is always a good thing. Anyway, recognition of their works is a great thing :)

• RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    We were just checking over Squad 5, realized that Blind and RedDog were only given blue squad five. It was discussed internally, and they were both upgraded to Gold. There's really no question about it. Both @Blind and @RedDog have given soooo much to the community through casting, refereeing, their work with the NS2WC, and just how genuinely wonderful they are! <3

Please keep Squad 5 nominations coming - We can't give out the badges without your nominations!

Aww, thanks Decoy! I do 'lerk' (ha!) around the forums from time to time and I saw this because of the mention. It was a pleasure contributing what I could to this fantastic game! You guys in the CDT are doing an amazing job, keep it up!

Miss you all, really! If there is ever a time I can break away and cast something, I will definitely do it!
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold

Oh, nice, thanks :)

Is this part of a quest to bring someone back to casting or to drink with you again? :P
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Both @blind. Definitely both.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2014
    While we are on the subject, I would like to nominate anyone that had substantial NS2WC contributions. I saw the list in one of Hugh's "Behind the World Championship" videos. The list was long but I don't know how many people received something other than a name in a credit roll.

Edit: If this has already been addressed, then just nevermind this post. Lol
  • ChookzChookz Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20814Members, Constellation
    I would also like to nominate @Mouse for his contributions throughout Natural Selection's entire history, as well as his consistant mapping. His work on ns2_fusion is well documented and keeps those who are really poor at anything to do with software interested in the "how-to's". I'm not sure how active he may/may not have been during ns2 playertesting prior to release as I was inactive at the time, but he's a wonderful friend of mine, of anyone in the AusNS community, and probably of anyone who's ever met the guy.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Chookz wrote: »
    I would also like to nominate @Mouse for his contributions throughout Natural Selection's entire history, as well as his consistant mapping. His work on ns2_fusion is well documented and keeps those who are really poor at anything to do with software interested in the "how-to's". I'm not sure how active he may/may not have been during ns2 playertesting prior to release as I was inactive at the time, but he's a wonderful friend of mine, of anyone in the AusNS community, and probably of anyone who's ever met the guy.

One of the best Australians! :D I approve.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited September 2014

Who are the rest of the best? :)
    sebb wrote: »

Who are the rest of the best? :)

(you) I don't know, Jackson when he will be moved to your beautiful country.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hi,

Hem... Squad 5 badges have colors ? How many ? What does it say ?

Oh, hem... well... What is the color for the most annoying guy on the forums ? I think it's mine.
    edited October 2014
    Hi,

Hem... Squad 5 badges have colors ? How many ? What does it say ?

Oh, hem... well... What is the color for the most annoying guy on the forums ? I think it's mine.

They are given depending of what you have done on/for NS2. Blue is the first rank players can reach. Then Silver and Gold. The last one is only given to people that have contributed a lot of for the community like those that did receive this badge on the previous posts above. As far as I know, except for some exceptional situations, you cannot be rewarded with a Silver or Gold badge without being given Blue at first. That's why plenty of people are nominating those they think should deserve some recognition.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2014

Alright, so you've pretty much given everyone who've had any upper placements in the NSL Gold, except me. I sense quite the bias for not getting upgraded as well. Is this a reward for how much you have done for the community, or is it a reward for how much Decoy and the gang likes you? To be honest, I don't care if you don't like me or my viewpoints, just don't be shallow and childish about it when you have the position you do. Unfortunately that happens to most people that are handed out any form of power. The first topic clearly states that it's perfectly fine to nominate yourself, I clearly did it with a twist of my own sense of humour.

After all, I was the one who ran the ENSL gathers during beta, I got the ENSL going at launch, thankfully blind and many others jumped on the wagon after I got it going. Not to mention that it was me who was the first flagcarrier for NSL; the idea of removing the European part of the name and making it a global league, though regional split as long as the league could sustain it. Without me, the americans, austrailians and other nationalities would probably not have played in the ENSL, but just had their own seperate leagues. I know some americans were working on a league back then, but it probably got cancelled because ENSL offered what they needed. The austrailians were/are? the only league that I know of, other than NSL.
    Here is the list of successful competetions I arranged:
    NSL Season 1
    NSL Custom Map Cup #1
    NSL Invitational
    NSL Season 2
    NSL Nations Cup #1
    NSL Summer Cup #1
    NSL Season 3 (Shared with Zefram. Though the majority of the work was my doing, starting a new season is the most work you will get during a season, I quit one week before the playoffs)

To compare, here is the list of successful competetions Zefram arranged:
    European Open
    NSL Season 3 (Shared with me)
    NS2WC
    NSL Season 4
    NSL Season 5(though it's pretty much been dropped on the floor, no updates for over a month)

The facts that I wrote here can be confirmed by blind and lots of other people that were following what was happening behind the scenes of the early ENSL/NSL.

Does this seem biased to anyone?
    @Swalk, @Ironhorse is in charge of Squad 5, not me. I was just around when the posts needed to be done. Your most recent post is more detailed than your first and actually includes what all you've done instead of just generalized ideas. The pissing contest with Zefram is really unnecessary imo. And you missed a couple of his Custom Map cups and the draft tournaments.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    @Swalk, @Ironhorse is in charge of Squad 5, not me. I was just around when the posts needed to be done. Your most recent post is more detailed than your first and actually includes what all you've done instead of just generalized ideas. The pissing contest with Zefram is really unnecessary imo. And you missed a couple of his Custom Map cups and the draft tournaments.
    Well it's not a pissing contest, I appreciate that he kept it going for so long. He simply took over where I left off and it is the best thing I have to compare my achievements with.

My bad, I went through the NSL NS2 History, must have missed it.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited November 2014
    Hmm I'm not sure if it is just how humor translates across the pond or what, but none of your posts have ever appeared humorous to me. Mostly smug and entitled.

Seriously though, chill man, I have run just as many 'events' as you and even help out with the NSL AU division back when it still existed and I 'only' have squad 5 blue as well. You don't see me trying to convince other people that I deserve more than that or that they were wrong with their assessment because I honestly don't care about the badge itself. There are also a lot of people that also deserve squad 5 that don't have it at all, so sometimes its good to eat the humble pie and be grateful that there are people in the community that are grateful.

Honestly dude, the whole blue/gold/silver squad 5 thing isn't even the point, its more the gesture of recognising good acts and people, and that sentiment doesn't change at all depending on the level of squad 5. Yes, people know how much you did, and they get it, you were a huge part of the NSL and NS2. That's what you wanted to hear right? Zefram has nothing to do with your squad 5 either. :)

edited November 2014
    Seb wrote: »
    Hmm I'm not sure if it is just how humor translates across the pond or what, but none of your posts have ever appeared humorous to me. Mostly smug and entitled.

Seriously though, chill man, I have run just as many 'events' as you and even help out with the NSL AU division back when it still existed and I 'only' have squad 5 blue as well. You don't see me trying to convince other people that I deserve more than that or that they were wrong with their assessment because I honestly don't care about the badge itself. There are also a lot of people that also deserve squad 5 that don't have it at all, so sometimes its good to eat the humble pie and be grateful that there are people in the community that are grateful.

Honestly dude, the whole blue/gold/silver squad 5 thing isn't even the point, its more the gesture of recognising good acts and people, and that sentiment doesn't change at all depending on the level of squad 5. Yes, people know how much you did, and they get it, you were a huge part of the NSL and NS2. That's what you wanted to hear right? Zefram has nothing to do with your squad 5 either.
    Well, that's pretty much my homour, it's pretty damn dark. You may not like it, but that doesn't change my intentions. My initial line in my first post is a prime example of it.

Yeah, sure I am not alone in being somewhat misrewarded, you too should be upgraded in my point of view. You did an amazing job with the australian community, there is no doubt about that. But yes, as you say, there are alot of other unrewarded people out there, I actually indend to look through the squad 5 awards and bring forth names and reasoning to why they should be awarded/upgraded. I just didn't get around to find all the lists since they are not gathered in one place. My previous position in the community means I was dealing with alot of these people, who were spending so much time on it, like you and I. Yes, I was deeply humbled and grateful with the squad 5 when I initially got it, and I still am. So few people actually get one. But looking at the rewards that are given out after the revival it just seems to me like the values of the different levels of squad 5 have shifted and it feels like my previous award wasn't up to par with the new values of the Squad 5 levels.

Well, sure you may not care about the levels, but I think there is a bit of symbolism to it, like there should be with such things imo. I feel like the levels should somewhat be an indicator of the impact of the person on the ns2 scene in general. Well, I couldn't have asked for more praise from the people of the community for my work, I already had more than I deserve of that. It's extremely rare to have someone personally contact you for a thing like that and that is what I've been the most humbled by and it kept me going for a very long time. Squad 5 is more of an official reward from UWE's side, which should reflect people's amount of contributions to the scene. I never said Zefram had anything to do with my squad 5, I know he doesn't. I simply compared my achievements to my successors achievements, which are the most similar to mine.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    How to flag as spam.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Awesome list, Swalk, thanks for the nominations!

There will be another round very soon (that will be larger than normal) so be sure to poke others to contribute more names :)
    How many hours did you spend to make a such awesome list? Just a thing, you missed @Rantology in the Gold section.
    How many hours did you spend to make a such awesome list? Just a thing, you missed @Rantology in the Gold section.
    Took me a couple of hours to find all the old newsposts here and going through the NSL NS2 history and spreadsheets I made back when I was league admin. Wierd, I didn't find her name in any newsposts/announcements. I knew I would forget alot of people :P But good that she already got her well deserved award!
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    I already have Silver :)
    I do however actively promote all UWE products (And NS2:Combat). I think i get a few people to buy all 4 games each day on average :+1:
    GISP wrote: »
    I already have Silver :)
    I do however actively promote all UWE products (And NS2:Combat). I think i get a few people to buy all 4 games each day on average :+1:

Then you need to be upgraded to Gold! You deserve an upgrade :)
This discussion has been closed.