NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    ball2hi wrote: »
    Customization is great! Double info is not bad if optional.
    But on the other side its a much stronger indication of something.. So perhaps it can be seen as the mod playing for you.
    What.
    He has a point, why should you have a notification telling you something that you already can see in the corner of your screen or on the scoreboard?
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Guys... putting the lifeform notifications doesnt play the game for you. It makes sure you know the option is available and it allows you to make an informed decision. It doesnt auto egg your lifeform or teleport you to a safe location to egg...

There are a lot of notification that are redundant in this game and i dont see this one as game breaking at all. If you dont like it, like other notifications... turn if off. I for one will appreciate it so im not constantly checking the useless score board. I am always in my map and planning where to go and what to do based on my teammates positions and scouted enemy info, not checking the score board.

• ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    edited September 2014
    sebb wrote: »
    But on the other side its a much stronger indication of something.. So perhaps it can be seen as the mod playing for you.
    What.
    He has a point, why should you have a notification telling you something that you already can see in the corner of your screen or on the scoreboard?
    I swear... I've posted 3 times giving in-depth reasoning behind why it should be implemented by now... or maybe I was just dreaming?

It's as if someone... doesn't... read posts. Hrm.

Just because you don't want extra notification for already open information, doesn't mean we should all not have the option. If I want to have a giant picture of a Fade covering 95% of my screen telling me to go Fade, why should that bother you? You have a notification that takes 5% of the screen, I want a notification that does the polar-opposite and take 95% of the screen. What's your problem with me having that notification? How about you start giving reasons instead of us having to.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    sebb wrote: »
    What.
    I swear... I've posted 3 times giving in-depth reasoning behind why it should be implemented by now... or maybe I was just dreaming?

It's as if someone... doesn't... read posts. Hrm.

Just because you don't want extra notification for already open information, doesn't mean we should all not have the option. If I want to have a giant picture of a Fade covering 95% of my screen telling me to go Fade, why should that bother you? You have a notification that takes 5% of the screen, I want a notification that does the polar-opposite and take 95% of the screen. What's your problem with me having that notification? How about you start giving reasons instead of us having to.

I don't see the problem letting you have this.

But why on earth would you actually want or need it? It's beyond me! Oh well, to each his own I guess. Probably won't take TOO long to code?
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    edited September 2014
    Edit: Nobody should "just ignore someone", because of their differing opinion.
    If you don't like that, @Ots, you can kindly go somewhere else.
    ~AurOn2

** edit
    The guys been ignoring 90% of what others write and repeats what he's said over and over without considering others opinions one bit, yes you should stop "discussing" about it with him. god forbid for me to use the word ignore, jesus..

and ffs, dont remove the picture it's a valid point..
    here it is again
    worstui.jpg

• WellWell Join Date: 2006-10-04 Member: 58054Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    aeroripper wrote: »
    I think I missed the discussion on lifeform price notifications, but a little scrolling marquee near the pres count when hitting 8, 25, 35, 55 res is attained would probably be helpful. Turn it on by default in rookie mode, and off by default in NS2+ options. Maybe a little icon that pops up briefly that shows what's available. I made a quick and dirty mockup (res count and image don't match, I'm lazy):
    pres.png
    It's awesome
  • jackeljackel Join Date: 2004-10-03 Member: 32071Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm trying to look into a bug on a server that causes marines to start with 2 ips with only 8 players. (it should only do this at 9+ correct?) Anyway, I'm trying to narrow it down between the mods and wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this or if ns2+ plays with the player count/team. I didnt think it does but just wanted to hear it from you.

While i'm here i wanted to suggest the ability to click on structures to see their stats/range circles like the comm does for spectators. thoughts?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    No, NS2+ doesn't mess with that, it's a bug in vanilla.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited September 2014
    @jackel It's a known bug in vanilla, and it has already been tracked down (but isn't on the public trello because it is an exploit).
  • jackeljackel Join Date: 2004-10-03 Member: 32071Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ah, alright. i didn't see that elsewhere. thank you.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Yup, no problem. Glad you're trying to fix stuff. :)
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Ok so, apocalypse has happened and disabling viewmodels (only marine for now, no exos, no aliens) is allowed by the ENSL so I have implemented this in the following way:

If the server runs compmod it enables the feature automatically and players can toggle viewmodels on and off. Admins can't affect the setting. If the server runs vanilla, the feature is disabled by default and server admins can enable it again so users can use their setting.

I also made it so the server browser tells you which options conflict with the server-disabled NS2+ options (before it'd only show ns2+ in red).

I'm going to wait for 30 pages of this topic before pushing the change. In other news, I added an option to make the crosshair scale with resolution.

Really if you make one of them tooglable, do it for all .... :D So i don't have to read those stupid eyes in mounth threads anymore.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Hera's e-bonner is gunna go out of control. Gorge b-hop and now no-viewmodels on rines. O_O
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited September 2014
    I'd like to remove it for the aliens too, but there's concerns about the skulk, so what if I remove everything except the skulk's viewmodel?

Edit: It's out as marines only.

- Added option to make crosshairs scale with resolution. Available in HUD tab.
    - Added viewmodel toggle for marines. It is always allowed on CompMod servers and disabled by default on vanilla servers (can be enabled by server admins).
    - Server browser will now tell you the NS2+ options that are blocked by the server in conflict with your own settings.
    - Added option for the marine commander alert queue to only respond to player alerts.
  • vartijavartija Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60193Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    I have a bag whith NS2+ mod. When I type "c" in server borwser game show "Mod error".
    UPD: and some others symbols too.

http://www.twitch.tv/godsfool/b/570027347
  • FiskbitFiskbit Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187099Members
    My team missed lerk timing again by 4 personal res, and lifeform notifications would've solved this. There's very little reasoned opposition to this, and with the commander out of the hive more, it's even harder for them to act as a watchdog. We've got this view model change being added to give players an edge; how about the notifications?
    Implementing the viewmodel toggle is super simple, adding UI elements is not. I don't have the time to devote to such a feature right now. But if someone else codes it and sends me a pull request I have no problem including it.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Wait what, did someone really make a handle "AussieKid". wow.
    I have a bag whith NS2+ mod. When I type "c" in server borwser game show "Mod error".
    UPD: and some others symbols too.

http://www.twitch.tv/godsfool/b/570027347

This is actually a vanilla bug, if you have any mod mounted (test it with only a crosshair mod, for example) it will happen the same, if you have none, you can open the console and see error spam. It's caused by a server with weird characters on its name.

I've released a patch that allows hiding alien viewmodels, but there's downsides, as it's not displaying the viewmodel, you won't know when you have enzyme, umbra, are cloaked, are under scan radius... etc. Most of those will be immediatly obvious to seasoned players, but if you have doubts, noone is forcing you to use the option.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    This thread is full of hypocrites. It is disgusting to see especially with the arguments given. Fisk and I like the lifeform notification, it makes everyone aware of the choices you have, and Marines have the same notifications. Those were implemented without issue, but god forbid you try to get the same on alien side. This community is as toxic as ever and it shows when some community members would like a quality of life change that is TOGGLEABLE, but are made fun of instead. I mean we can now turn off a view model giving you a MUCH wider FOV but i cant have a little notification saying Lerk res is up.

It will help lower divs, higher divs with crap comms, and Prem can turn it off.

It is all moot anyway, it is too hard and complex for Mendasp to figure out.
    edited September 2014
    RisingSun wrote: »
    Yep, I made this mod for people like you that know, respect and appreciate my work.

Thanks for your support.
    Mendasp wrote: »
    RisingSun wrote: »
    Yep, I made this mod for people like you that know, respect and appreciate my work.

Thanks for your support.

I love your work, but you dont agree with this quality of life feature and so will not do it. You serve a community with your mod and it isnt "What Mesdasp thinks best mod".

Thank you for being an unbiased modder!
  • FiskbitFiskbit Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187099Members
    edited September 2014
    @Mendasp: Would reusing the research notification be time-consuming? Your point is a good one; I understand that development time is limited and appreciate that time-consuming features can be too costly.

Everyone else: The first replies amount to "Why does this make sense?" and I and others answered them by showing how it's consistent with the game's design and existing features. Then people asked "Why would you want this?" and we gave specific stories or explained how it could be useful for pub players or when players aren't all at the same res level. Now you're telling us to play better. Talk about a dismissive community that lacks empathy.

"Why would you ever want to disable the view model? Play better!"