NS2 Patch 269 Server Info

ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
edited September 2014 in Server Discussion
Hi once again Server Ops!

NS2 Patch 268 had a few things slip by us which we didn't pick up in our weeks of testing. Virtually all of the major issues should be fixed in our next patch 269.

We're hoping this solves almost all major crashing issues with both server and client. We continue to work on stability and performance in the background to help improve NS2 for the long-term.

If your server crashes, please upload a 32bit dump file to your favorite hosting service and email the link to ns2cdt[at]gmail.com - our programmers will look at the dumps and help fix issues for future patches.

Release will be around 10AM PST (San Francisco, USA) / 5PM BST (London, UK) / 3AM (Thursday - Sydney, Australia) TODAY (Wednesday).

We know there was a major issue with mods not working in 268, including ones we said were compatible with 268 last time like NS2+ and Shine. These have both been testing during our playtesting and should have no issues on release. Client-side mods should also now work much better.

Server Mods that have been made compatible with 268 should with with 269, however as per usual, disable any older mods until they have been updated to 269 compatibility to ensure your server's stability.

Changelog will be available soon on the UWE website when the patch gets released, but you can always work it out from our public trello here: https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker

Thanks again for continuing to run NS2 servers! :)

-Obraxis
NS2 CDT Co-Lead

Comments

• ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Do not forget to send out an e-mail over the mail list for those admins that are not checking he forums.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Do not forget to send out an e-mail over the mail list for those admins that are not checking he forums.

I already did hours ago :)

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!topic/uwe-server-ops/kzO4Q9HpvJs
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Could you also send an email just after it's released? This way I can update the servers as soon as an update is available.
    Obraxis wrote: »
    ZEROibis wrote: »

I already did hours ago :)

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!topic/uwe-server-ops/kzO4Q9HpvJs

Yep, sorry somehow I missed it. I got to get used to reading e-mail on this new screen I guess lol.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Just waiting on the final 'go' - patch is ready to leave the tubes though.
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Go! Go! Go!, does that help?
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
  • KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    does the server log still overwrite itself on restart?

cause i run firedaemon so it auto-restarts when it crashes so i can never actually pull a log to help with.

is it possible to make it save to different log files?
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    I keep reading that server ops are asking how to save the log since it gets overwritten. While the way it handles the log is a shameful piece of code, it's relatively easy to keep a log archive.

Below is a simple batch script that will start / restart your server while copying timestamped logs into the specified folder. It runs independantly from your server, meaning nothing will break if you start / exit the script while your server is running. It can also perform automatic restarts if the server exceeds a specified memory usage.

Here's how to use it:
    - Paste the script into a file and name it restartscript.cmd (make sure file extensions aren't hidden on your system)
    - Create a .lnk file with the server.exe as the target and add the command line options
    - Open the .cmd (with notepad++ for example) and edit the variables to your liking.
    @ECHO off
    ::
    :: DO NOT edit this file while the script is running!
    ::
    SET serverpath=C:\Users\Obraxis\Desktop& REM Path of the .lnk to server.exe, which carries the commandline attributes
    SET serverlnk=Startns2server.lnk& REM Name of the .lnk (avoid spaces)
    SET serverexe=server.exe 
    SET monitoringdelay=30& REM Check every n seconds if server.exe is an existing process. 
                             REM Can be no more than 59 sec for the daily leakcheck to work.
    SET logarchivepath=D:\ns2ds-log-archive\& REM Path to archive log before starting/restarting.
    SET dailyrestartenabled=true& REM Define whether you want the script to check for memleaks and restart if necessary.
    SET dailyrestartat=10:30& REM Time of day to check for memleaks.
    SET memleakthreshold=1750000& REM If server.exe uses more than n kbytes of memory, force a restart.
    :: Variables below this line should not be modified.
    SET initialserverstart=true
    title NS2DS Restartscript 
    ECHO Settings: %monitoringdelay%s interval, leakcheck at %dailyrestartat%am, threshold at %memleakthreshold%kbyte.
    ECHO[ 
    :BATCHSTART
    TASKLIST /nh /fi "imagename eq %serverexe%" | FIND /i "%serverexe%" > NUL && (
      ECHO %date% %time% NS2DS found, starting monitoring.
      SET initialserverstart=false
      GOTO STATUSCHECK
      ) || ( GOTO COPYLOG  
      )
    :CONTINUEINIT
    TIMEOUT 15
    START /D "%serverpath%" %serverlnk% 2> NUL && (
      ECHO %date% %time% Initial start. Logging: %logging%
      ) || (
      ECHO %date% %time% Cannot start NS2DS. Exiting. Logging: %logging% 
      GOTO ENDROUTINE
      )
    ECHO[
    SET initialserverstart=false
    TIMEOUT %monitoringdelay% > NUL
    GOTO STATUSCHECK

:STATUSCHECK
      rem
      ) || GOTO STARTSERVER
    IF %dailyrestartenabled%==true TIME /t | FIND /i "%dailyrestartat%" > NUL && (
      GOTO DAILYRESTART
      )
    GOTO STATUSCHECK

:STARTSERVER
    GOTO COPYLOG
    :CONTINUESTART
    START /D "%serverpath%" %serverlnk% 2> NUL && (
      ECHO %date% %time% NS2DS restarted. Logging: %logging%
      ) || (
      ECHO %date% %time% Cannot restart NS2DS. Exiting. Logging: %logging%
      GOTO ENDROUTINE
      )
    GOTO STATUSCHECK

:DAILYRESTART
    TASKLIST /fi "memusage GT %memleakthreshold%" | FIND /i "server.exe" > NUL && (
      ECHO %date% %time% NS2DS leaks above threshold. Terminating.
      TASKKILL /IM %serverexe%
      ) || ( 
      TIMEOUT 60 /NOBREAK > NUL
      GOTO STATUSCHECK
      )
    TIMEOUT 8 /NOBREAK > NUL 
      ECHO %date% %time% NS2DS unresponsive. Killing process.
      TASKKILL /F /IM %serverexe%
      TIMEOUT 15 /NOBREAK > NUL
      ) 
      ECHO %date% %time% Cannot kill process. Exiting.
      GOTO ENDROUTINE 
      )
    TIMEOUT 60 /NOBREAK > NUL
    GOTO STATUSCHECK

:COPYLOG
    FOR /F "tokens=1,2,3 delims=." %%x IN ("%date%") DO SET LogDate=%%z%%y%%x
    FOR /F "tokens=1,2 delims=:," %%v IN ("%time%") DO SET LogTime=%%v%%w
    COPY /Y "%appdata%\Natural Selection 2\log-Server.txt" "%logarchivepath%%Logdate%-%LogTime%.txt" >NUL && ( SET logging=OK 
      ) || SET logging=FAILED!
    IF %initialserverstart%==true GOTO CONTINUEINIT
    IF %initialserverstart%==false GOTO CONTINUESTART

:ENDROUTINE
    TIMEOUT /T -1 /NOBREAK > NUL
    :: prevents closing of window in case something goes wrong

:)>-