ns2_caged

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i think the map would simply benefit from being played more and people becoming more familiar with it, we are all so familiar with the official maps that we know every spot a skulk can hide and when a new map gets played people are instantly claiming it to be terribly imbalanced or that issues exist without playing the map at least 20 times prior
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    i think the map would simply benefit from being played more and people becoming more familiar with it, we are all so familiar with the official maps that we know every spot a skulk can hide and when a new map gets played people are instantly claiming it to be terribly imbalanced or that issues exist without playing the map at least 20 times prior

Forums are broken. I clicked the "agree" button 101 times, but it only showed up once. :(
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

I don't believe it. In this case Central is the problem. As the NS1 version...

• Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    I actually really like the central piece on caged, and have so for many builds :(
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think Central is too central. I suggest you disperse it promptly.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Central is fine, plus it's one of the remaining iconic looking places on the map.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I've thought about it a bit more and I've reconsidered my dispersion plan.

The solution is so obvious! I've added an image since images are better than words.

H57qf7k.png

I realize you might consider yourself a mapper Flat but you've consistently shown to struggle with basic concepts like unicorn placement. I hope my schematic helps you implement the proper solution without any further delay.

You forgot the rainbows.

And BTW this map needs more cow bell!

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    CHANGELOG [27th of july 2014]
    o Moved Marine Start back to its original position
    o Detailed Shipping Tunnels some more

Marine Start has its old long corridor towards Sanitation back. Aliens be warned!
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited August 2014
    Hi Flaterectomy !
    We had an ensl gather on caged yesterday. Marines spawned in Marines Start (duh) and Aliens spawned in Sewer. As aliens we had so much trouble just getting our RTs up, since one of our naturals is also one of the marines. There was some nice bite rez but marines kept pressuring Purification and Ventilation System all the time. Aliens are kind of locked up in this Sewer start spawn. When we played Marines, Aliens spawned in Ventilation which made it so much easier for them to stay in the game and defeat us (in the end).

As a conclusion, I think Sewer is not a bad tech point per say, but it is kind of a horrible start point for Aliens.
    I have not tested Auxiliary as Alien start, but I think Aliens should never start in Sewer. We almost managed to turn the game arround, by keeping a high level of pressure but when you look at the layout, it's almost a straight corridor going from their main to the Aliens naturals (aka Purification and Vent). Way too easy for the marines to push.

Anyway, that's my feedback on the Sewer Alien start in a 6v6 match, take it or leave it :)

Looking forward to seeing more updates in the future. This is a good map, really needs details and shit (needs to be finished :P). You're doing a great work
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I agree with @MauvaisVitrier‌ here.

Purification is way too easy t push for marines. Let's assume we have a Sewer start for aliens. Marines can push both natural RTs (Upper Wasteflow and Purification Station) without needing to go through the center. (I don't consider the left part of Central as the center part of the map). Also Sewer is quite open and it's quite easy to fight in there for marines (at least it was like this on HBZ yesterday).

If I remember back then when a Generator spawn was possible it was ok, I think. Auxiliary Generator was not so easy pushable, because you had to move through centrel processing, where aliens most likely have been waiting.

I'm kinda sry to only point out a problem and not giving a possible solution here :(
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited August 2014
    I'm back !
    So we played a 6v6 game on Caged again yesterday on the TkM server. Both rounds, aliens spawned in Auxiliary.
    So what I have to say about this spawn : it's quite good although the generator RT can be 'easily' pushed. I say easily because it's the second RT on the north zoning route (for marines). BUT (and it's an important "but") since you have the centre of the map to cover, the south of the map to try and cap, and the second alien natural RT in shipping to push, Generator is not that big of a problem.

Our split was (marines), two pushing in shipping, one in monitoring (north), one in central, one on the sewer side. This allowed us to apply a constant pressure and close our base. We had nice map control.
    So seems okay.

When we played Aliens we lost (probably because our lifeforms were weak but anyway).
    We managed to take ventilation and purification quite easily, managed to defend it for some time. Then we lost the Auxiliary hive to a massive marines push, but managed to keep our two vent naturals and to keep Central empty.

So in conclusion :
    Ventilation = GREAT
    Auxiliary = Quite Good (easily manageable)
    Sewer = kind of CRAP xD

My proposition : don't make Sewer an alien start point, or find a way to make purification not that easily pushable. :)

BUT it's an excellent map, I enjoy more and more to play on it. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing more detailed environemments like what you did arround Marine Start. o/ Awesome
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Mephilles wrote: »
    I'm kinda sry to only point out a problem and not giving a possible solution here :(
    Don't be, this is good feedback that I am happy to receive. The more voices pointing out issues, even without solutions, the better.
    My proposition : don't make Sewer an alien start point, or find a way to make purification not that easily pushable. :)e
    My aim is to make all three hives viable. Generator used to be the worst start, and moving it to Aux Gen seems to alleviate the problem a good bit. I might have to have purification connect to the inside of Central Processing instead of the outer route to fix that start. See quick photoshop hackjob below:

YXmndBm.jpg

I would love to hear what people think of that possible solution. It would make Central a lot more important again.
    edited August 2014
    Or like this : (paint skills incoming)
    cDuCDzV.jpg

Yeah that would probably be a good idea. Is this good ? That Central becomes more important again ? Hmm right now that's probably the simplest and appropriate way for Sewer to be a viable Alien start, imo. You should wait for more feeback, before changing anything though :)

EDIT : I played caged a while ago but I don't remember Gen being a Hive location. I do remember the double RT in Central though.
    Moving the Hive location to Aux was a fcking great idea. I think it works out really well, even though Aliens lost their respective sides starting in Aux (in the games I was talking about earlier)
    This is another option. Reinstate the old corridor between Purification and Life Support, and severing the connection between Purification and the western Central Processing corridor. In that case, I'm not sure whether the southern connection between Purification and Ventilation should remain. I'd really like some more insights from greater strategic minds than myself.

5tdaJtM.jpg
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I would very much like the opportunity to evaluate your first proposal in actual gameplay:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2214078/#Comment_2214078
    edited August 2014
    Or like this : (paint skills incoming)
    cDuCDzV.jpg

Yeah that would probably be a good idea. Is this good ? That Central becomes more important again ? Hmm right now that's probably the simplest and appropriate way for Sewer to be a viable Alien start, imo. You should wait for more feeback, before changing anything though :)

EDIT : I played caged a while ago but I don't remember Gen being a Hive location. I do remember the double RT in Central though.
    Moving the Hive location to Aux was a fcking great idea. I think it works out really well, even though Aliens lost their respective sides starting in Aux (in the games I was talking about earlier)

A/ I don't think so. Central can be important but it has to be "assault" friendly to retake it. That's my biggest rant about that map. Once a team has the spot... the scenario rarely change.
    -As Alien who claimed it successfully first. No marine can approach without being noticed and parasited. Let's just say even 3 good shots can have a hard time in there. Then tunel+crag and eventually shade do a great deal of help in there.
    -As Marine who claimed it successfully first. No alien can rush in as marine are now counting on fast PG and strength of structures (+mines eventually).

For me if Flaterectomy do the first proposal it'll be the same. It'll just delay the rush on Purification as marine have to be cautious on central surroundings. But not more.

@Flaterectomy Disconnecting Purification from "Central" and reconnect it to "Life support" seems ok. Watch out for timings (time to go to point of interest). It can be too long to get from Purification to other places. It would need some vent to compensate. I mean better than the one going in Central.

B/ On NS1 Yes Gen was a starting hive for a while, but most of the time, it was Sewer & Ventilation. I never seen Generator being a starting TP for alien on NS2.

I would prefer a rule to get opposite points for marine and alien. Marine start could be something else. That's another thing to discuss another day.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    cant join scc caged "file not found" error
    @joohoo_n3d Seems the mods weren't enabled, should be fixed now.
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    edited August 2014
    HDspdBD.jpg

P.s - Gorges in aux vent can bile bomb the entire base without marines having grenades or jetpacks.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Stability looks amazing. Great job.
    Jekt wrote: »
    Stability looks amazing. Great job.
    Yup, looking really nice, although I was afraid of falling down, while checking corners for ambushes. The little "bridge" atfer the doorway in Stab is a bit narrow.
    And the Auxiliary layout seems better now.

And fix the damn ladders Flat ! FFS xD especially in Purification
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I got it, you modified the background of your screenshot, it's blue!

Joke aside, I missed the last session yesterday but I will probably take a look on these changes as soon as I can.
    I recorded last night's very entertaining SCC game on Caged, but apparently OBS for some reason didn't have my default audio device selected, so it's just game footage and me occasionally talking through it. Afraid this one will only live in our memories... And I really wanted to listen to @meatmachine's Busta Rhymes rap again too. :(
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I recorded last night's very entertaining SCC game on Caged, but apparently OBS for some reason didn't have my default audio device selected, so it's just game footage and me occasionally talking through it. Afraid this one will only live in our memories... And I really wanted to listen to @meatmachine's Busta Rhymes rap again too. :(

RIP Ultra ARC rush. You will be forgotten.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

RIP Ultra ARC rush. You will be forgotten.

That was intense... what was that like 50 arcs??? Awesome bug.
    Perhaps I'll edit together something and throw music onto it.
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    But... it's the only record of me being somewhat decent as marine. :(