Skill System is Good

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Neoken wrote: »
    I would actually understand if skill is never implemented into the vanilla ns2 scoreboard, even if I would prefer it to happen eventually. Force even teams can always be used to balance a game. And mods can always be created for server operators who prefer these skill values to be visible.

I am posting that I agree for emphasis.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This might have been answered already, but are the games being played at the moment going to contribute to the skill system when it's finally fixed or will there have to be another skill reset/ will we be effectively starting over?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    The skill system has been fixed, unless there is a terrible bug being discovered, there wont be another reset.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Calego wrote: »
    So. this might not be a priority, but anytime I search for a player on hive.ns2.com All it ever returns is "Jeebus".

It has been doing that since long before CDT was a thing.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    You can find players but it has to be exact as far as the name goes, I think. But whatever name comes up, jeebus always with it in the results.

I've also wondered why.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    THE question is who's Jeebus?
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Pelargir wrote: »
    It's probably a simple SQL syntax error where the player with ID 1 or something is in every result.

• OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    It's probably a simple SQL syntax error where the player with ID 1 or something is in every result.
    How do you dare bringing logic to this forum.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff

I do prefer @IronHorse's answer. don't take it too bad.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's ID zero, actually. And yes, this looks like a side effect... somebody assuming id > 0 at all times, probably ;)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    The mistery is solved: http://hive.naturalselection2.com/profile/0 profile id 0.
    Edit: MrFangs linked it already. Nvm my post
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    The mistery is solved: http://hive.naturalselection2.com/profile/0 profile id 0.
    Edit: MrFangs linked it already. Nvm my post

I can't find this guy ingame then? :(
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Well then. Now that we know the answer, who wants to step up and fix the search ability to be useful?
    The search works for me... As long as I put in their exact name, as it appears in NS2 :P

Agreed, it could stand to be slightly better.
    The search works for me... As long as I put in their exact name, as it appears in NS2 :P

Agreed, it could stand to be slightly better.

That's the issue, you have to write the exact nickname of the guy you're looking for. Should be better if searches needed a bit less details. For instance, you typed the start of the nickname, you gonna find all relative users with these letters or something.

• halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    select * from hive where playername like '%" . mysql_real_escape_string($searchbox) . "%'
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    select * from hive where playername like '%" . mysql_real_escape_string($searchbox) . "%'

How about something to ignore case, like:

SELECT * FROM hive WHERE UPPER(playername) LIKE UPPER('%" . mysql_real_escape_string($searchbox) . "%')
    A 'like' search is case-insensitive.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    PSA: You should really use prepared statements instead - it's both safer & faster.

And with that, I think we should get this thread back on topic ;)
    edited August 2014
    It depends on the collation of your column (or database). If it is case sensitive, then LIKE is case sensitive, if it's not, then LIKE is not. Apparently the hive database is case sensitive, so either change the collation or use UPPPER / LOWER.
    MrFangs wrote: »
    PSA: You should really use prepared statements instead - it's both safer & faster.
    mysql_real_escape_string() is making it save against SQL-Injection and because we're only excecuting one statement, "prepared statements" are slower because of the additional round-trip to the server.

B2T: Skill system seems to be fixed, but it feels like the "time" part has not been included yet :( I can join a nearly finished game or have another of those crashes but hive subtracts a full lot even if I was only a minute on a server.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    It depends on the collation of your column (or database). If it is case sensitive, then LIKE is case sensitive, if it's not, then LIKE is not. Apparently the hive database is case sensitive, so either change the collation or use UPPPER / LOWER.
    mysql_real_escape_string() is making it save against SQL-Injection and because we're only excecuting one statement, "prepared statements" are slower because of the additional round-trip to the server.

B2T: Skill system seems to be fixed, but it feels like the "time" part has not been included yet :( I can join a nearly finished game or have another of those crashes but hive subtracts a full lot even if I was only a minute on a server.

In this case yes, but not entirely true.
    It can save time when sub-parts of the query computing are always the same. Meaning, dealing with some tables the same way every time. For a query that deals with millions of lines, you can see the change.

Usually it's rather difficult to get this to work efficiently as it requires a compatible data model, and / or the query that can be a good candidate. We don't deal with millions of line every morning is it ?
    edited August 2014
    @UncleCrunch‌ Ohh cool I didn't know that. Ok I think we got it now, we just need to call @AceDude‌ here :)
    mysql_real_escape_string() is making it save against SQL-Injection [...]
    Yes, of course. But the real reason why manual input escaping is unsafe is because it's easily messed up in maintenance. Somewhere along the line, another developer will add a new feature (sorting, for example), and he may forget to add escaping. One instance of this is enough to compromise the whole application. That's the long-term security risk that is completely eliminated by prepared statements.

If the query is as trivial as this one, it's still manageable. But if developers get the idea that manual escaping was proper practice, they *will* use it on bigger queries. Hence the PSA.

[...] and because we're only excecuting one statement, "prepared statements" are slower because of the additional round-trip to the server.
    When I said that they are faster, I meant faster in general. But even in this single-statement case, I suspect that caching the prepared statement will save more time than the additional round-trip costs. In small setups (like a LAMP stack), the database will be on the same machine anyway, so the network overhead is very low.

Ok I think we got it now, we just need to call @AceDude‌ here :)
    I'm confident he knows his stuff ;)
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    @AceDude‌ , any ETA on the source code publish? (read: how busy are you/moult with you know, life)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think there are still some issues with it. Not enough to require a reset of the skills, but it's not quite working properly yet. I'm talking to Acedude, and we'll hopefully have it sorted out soon. :)