Skill System is Good

Comments

• OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    coolio, very interested to go through it once able. ^^
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I will name my firstborn moultano
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    This thread hurts my brain. :-?
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It still seems broken. Look at No.1 on the hive stats. He's getting consistently 30 points per win. Surely he should be getting less points per win the higher skill he is because he's playing people with less skill.

It's looking atm a lot like the "Total score" leaderboard in that the more time you spend, the more "skill" you have.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    You know, i checked him out yesterday and the sight of nothing but wooza on match history was pretty amusing to begin with, but i decided to go and test the server for the first time, i left at 11min mark when the warping began. :)

I thought servers like that wouldn't be on the whitelist tho, but ye system is bit flawed still.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also the first couple of players in the ranking play a lot if not only on Wooza's playground.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited August 2014
    i've been tracking my skill for 90 games now (since the fix), so here is some data and plots (but keep in mind that this is just 1 personal example so not everything can be generalized from this).
    been playing on various servers inbetween 16 and 24 slots and usually vanilla (although there might have been compmod sometimes, i usually try to avoid it though), both races, almost always doing my best to win a match. roughly like 3-10 games per server in a row before switching the server. i vote force even teams basically whenever possible (a minor amount of servers still has it disabled) but it will not always succceed and some people switch sides after the vote. i don't really care wether a server is rookie friendly or not (emphasis on performance, decent ping and being almust full) and i guess more than half were rookie friendly. i avoid servers with red double-down skill icon but play on all others. i have 1369 hours of steam-gametime, 1.15 winrate (807 recorded games on hive) and sometimes play commander. time spent on either race is 107-108 hours in hive.

raw data values (if you have matlab, easily plot it with bar(y) ):
    y=[1036 999 975 939 927 955 993 1015 980 945 906 944 913 945 984 958 932 951 914 944 981 961 925 960 998 1036 1023 1040 1028 989 955 915 944 977 959 925 891 866 906 943 982 985 952 921 892 872 909 935 912 942 978 1017 1004 1041 1054 1014 1049 1087 1085 1118 1156 1190 1165 1187 1218 1183 1214 1185 1166 1131 1145 1145 1179 1214 1250 1217 1185 1215 1180 1200 1238 1202 1169 1131 1152 1181 1209 1239 1265 1226];
    basic plot (x=game-nr., y=skill value):
    ns2skill1.jpg
    difference between one game and the next game:
    ns2skill2.jpg
    absolute difference between one game and the next game:
    ns2skill3.jpg
    average difference between one game and the previous 9 games (the first <10 games are averaged with less games which results in more extreme values)
    ns2skill4.jpg
    absolute average difference between one game and the previous 9 games (the first <10 games are averaged with less games which results in more extreme values)
    ns2skill5.jpg

some might now think "this doesn't converge nicely even after 90 games!" but keep in mind that most other players will probably have played less games so far, which in turn influences my own value to jump around since their values might not be representative enough yet.
    still, i don't really see a pattern of the changes becoming less per game, so it might indeed be worth looking into that.
    one thing i regret: should have kept track of server switches. the only thing i have now are the last ones, so the amount of games per server in reverse order is: 10, 1, 4, 4, 1+ (dunno how often for the last one).
    also yes: there was one game where my skill value didn't change at all. the game lasted 1h 3min but i actually played there for quite a while (hard to say how long, i guess 20 mins) and eventually won the match.
  • alnairalnair Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Out of curiosity I made a similar graph for my Hive stats as @Laosh'Ra‌ did. My statistics is only over 20 rounds as seen in the Hive history.

The red line is the short trend (3 round moving average) and the black line is a long term trend (17 rounds).
    trend.png

The dip at the end seems to be due to a loss-streak as shown in the below graph where I overlay the change in skill with win/loss markers.
    win_loss.png

As there are many factors influencing the skill-value now it is evident from the last graph that it is possible to loss a game and get a positive gain in skill. AND it is possible to win a game but get a loss in skill-value.

@Laosh'Ra‌ mentions that the skill-value doesnt appear to converge, I want to add to this comment.

The convergence rate will depend on what the intended convergence rate of the skill-based system is. I only had a brief read through the calculations of the update formula and can acknowledge that the model is not unreasonable. However, in order to say if the expected fluctuations will be within 1 or 2 (now normal distributed) standard deviations we need more data and a better analysis of the model. (My analysis is quite simplified since the model does not assume normal distributed player skills).

• SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    moultano wrote: »
    I think there are still some issues with it. Not enough to require a reset of the skills, but it's not quite working properly yet. I'm talking to Acedude, and we'll hopefully have it sorted out soon. :)

Was there any issues with the skill system? Have you had time to look at it yet?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I HAS QUESTION

As far as I can tell, quite a few servers in NS2 involve communities of regulars that tend to only or primarily play on that specific server, with largely the same group of people.

Is it fair to say that the global accuracy of the skill values is dependant on players intermixing?
    And has this been taken into account when developing the system or is the mix rate such that the risk of 'skill pools' (groups of players for whom the skill is accurate between, but lacks predictive power outside of that group) is negligable?
    i think server-specific weights were mentioned somewhere, wether this has actually been put to use, dunno.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited August 2014
    Is there any idea of when the skill system might be fixed? I really thought the new v v, v, =, ^, ^ ^, tags would help a lot, but ever since the last reset nearly ever server shows as v v. Very rarely do I see a v, and never ^ or ^ ^, and the only time I ever see = is when I'm the only one in the server.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Is there any idea of when the skill system might be fixed? I really thought the new v v, v, =, ^, ^ ^, tags would help a lot, but ever since the last reset nearly ever server shows as v v. Very rarely do I see a v, and never ^ or ^ ^, and the only time I ever see = is when I'm the only one in the server.

that mostly means that you are above the average skill value of most servers, that doesn't mean the skill system is broken.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited August 2014
    Asraniel wrote: »
    MoFo1 wrote: »

that mostly means that you are above the average skill value of most servers, that doesn't mean the skill system is broken.

Well the thing is it's not most servers like 3/4ths of them.. it's most servers like 99.9% of them... and when I join a server with v v and it's full of players like loMe, Emo, BillyTalent, etc... who are so far above me in terms of skill it's not even funny... it must be broken somehow.

For a few days right after the system was introduced it seemed to be giving somewhat accurate readings for the most part... then there was that reset and ever since it's been nothing but a sea of v v.

I just don't get it...

edited August 2014
    you can only lose a small amount even if on the obviously stacked team that loses to eg a rush
    looking at my (now 112) plotted games, i beg to differ. i got 36 changes above +30 and 31 changes below -30 and a single +40 as well as a single -40.
    1 3526 45 204h KLX911
    2 3310 42 271h Kiss Kiss
    3 3089 130 577h Parsnip
    4 3022 58 333h sSsTarr
    5 3013 9 92h Keough
    6 3012 130 477h 2eZ. Anzestral
    people on hive have only small steps inbetween their skill value and the next better/worse player (the list below 6 goes on like this). the two exceptions on top both have a very high winrate and tons of wooza-games. so maybe there are some issues with higher player counts?

edit: just noticed, there are people with negative skill values again... http://hive.naturalselection2.com/rank/skill/page-555
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    I stand by my comments entirely! nothing in your post disagrees with what I said: if you have a win to loss ratio of more than 1, you will only go up in skill.

The modifier to your skill should probably be multiplicative rather than additive, perhaps with logistic weighting to ensure that there is a maximum and minimum possible value for skill and also that these values are essentially asymptotic...
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    As far as say, premier level players, does the skill system track their stats on CompMod servers, or just vanilla?

If the skill system doesn't track stats for CompMod, Comp players who rarely play anything tracked (i.e. public servers) will take much longer to become accurate in the system....right?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It does track through comp mod as well, for example the HBZ private server is ranked on hive.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Comp players will never be ranked correctly in the system imo. E.g. the system says Tane is bad.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why it ALWAYS has to shuffle me to the other side i'm currently in? I mean like ALWAYS. Few days ago when ppl were voting to enforce the balance i was typing chat: "NS2, don't even try to shuffle me to alien side (i was marine)" and just when i hit ENTER, it shuffled me to alien side. And i was like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK. Some people though that was funny. I didn't feel that way...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    moultano wrote: »
    I finally got a chance to sit down and look at the code properly and make some changes. We'll have to wait til Acedude has some free time to update it and check over it.

For those of us who like technicality, may we hear what has changed?
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Just bugfixes. If moultano will not find anything else, I think we're going to publish it quite soon.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    And no need for skill resets, the major problem was that the values did not converge correctly, your skill would jump up and down too much. But overall the skill value would still be correct (good players are rated better than worse), with the bugfix there will just be less noise in data :)
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Has the live system been changed already? Since today (Aug 31), my skill value seems to fluctuate a lot less. I was winning/losing 30-40 points per game before, today the biggest change was 12 points, with most around 4-6 points.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    RejZoR wrote: »
    Why it ALWAYS has to shuffle me to the other side i'm currently in? I mean like ALWAYS. Few days ago when ppl were voting to enforce the balance i was typing chat: "NS2, don't even try to shuffle me to alien side (i was marine)" and just when i hit ENTER, it shuffled me to alien side. And i was like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK. Some people though that was funny. I didn't feel that way...

I tend to get shuffle to marines (or stay marine). I wonder how the shuffle system works? I would like it to rank the players in the server and do a captain's pick (team 1 gets top player, then team 2 gets next 2 etc...). As it is, I feel it is trying to match the skill levels of the 2 teams to be roughly equal, and I see some horrible stacks when we shuffle (like the top 3/4 of the top scorers last game is in the same team).
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    RejZoR wrote: »

I tend to get shuffle to marines (or stay marine). I wonder how the shuffle system works? I would like it to rank the players in the server and do a captain's pick (team 1 gets top player, then team 2 gets next 2 etc...). As it is, I feel it is trying to match the skill levels of the 2 teams to be roughly equal, and I see some horrible stacks when we shuffle (like the top 3/4 of the top scorers last game is in the same team).

I'm reading through that code to try to figure out how it works. I think it uses a blend of your score from last round with your skill value, sorts the players by skills and assigns them to alternating teams going down the list. Still getting a handle on it though.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited September 2014
    skill system seems to be a measurement of win vs loss ratio as opposed to how good a player is, i have more loss games than wins in general but that doesnt mean im a bad player. it never seems to progress much, goes up goes down but stays low even though i have the highest score in the games i play usually
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Considering how ns2 is and plays.. i'm not sure theres' any fail-safe way (or close to) of measuring "skill".