Why is NS2 requiring 11GB of hard drive space? (Used to 2GB at launch)

PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
edited August 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Why is NS2 requiring 11GB of hard drive space? (Used to 2GB at launch)

I remember this game was under 2GB, now its over five times larger... what gives? Some of us don't have the luxury to afford high speed internet connections or massive storage hard drives. :[

Can anything be done?

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I heared a lot of complaints / questions but this one is new for me.

In short. no.

The bulk of that is used for props for maps like refinery, biodome, descent.
    Basicly the new stuff which got added.

This I assume will slowly grow as community maps are 'added' with workshop mods and the workshop folder is also quite big already.
  • lotnik190lotnik190 Poland Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187394Members
    Maps. Models, materials and sounds take a lot space. With almost every new official map ns2 gains new models, materials, sounds.
    Can anything be done?
    Nope.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Can anything be done?

Keep a backup in case you lose your installation somehow in the future. You should do this with all your steam games.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I bet your workshop folder has at least 2-4 GB's worth of mods in it, if you have never deleted it, never removed any, and have been playing from launch, mine was about 5-6 GB, i have no idea how, but i deleted it, and i delete it once in awhile.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2014
    I agree with @MaxAmus‌ - remember your computer will need to download every single custom map/mod/model you've ever used, or been on a server that uses it. If you've never cleared it, that can potentially add up to an awful lot.

@PersianImm0rtal‌ You could even be really cool and use something like filetreesize (google it, nice little windows application) to identify which folders are taking up the most space.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    I bet your workshop folder has at least 2-4 GB's worth of mods in it, if you have never deleted it, never removed any, and have been playing from launch, mine was about 5-6 GB, i have no idea how, but i deleted it, and i delete it once in awhile.
    Where can I find these mods? I want to delete the tons of dumb DMD/LFers addons I got.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    @ball2hi
    The folder is located in your appdata/roaming folder, it is hidden so make sure you have in control panel with folder options "show hidden files and folders" selected,
    quick way of getting there, click start type in %appdata% that should open up the folder/roaming, once in roaming folder its located in Natural Selection 2, workshop, you can delete the whole folder, and then only mods you are subscribed to will download on next Ns2 launch
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Thanks guys, I always thought the new maps were not any different as the original vanilla maps the game shipped with...
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Its hard for me to think that, maps like biodome, and descent added 6GB of data, compared to Summit, and Tram.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Really? Compare summit and biodome.
    See the amounts of different textures, colours, plants, and other props in biodome? Summit is mostly boxes and grey.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Is there a duplicate set of source files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\assets

There is a zip "modelsrc" at 182mb and a 1.17GB directory with the same name and same number of containing files.

The game doesn't load .MAX models does it?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Desther wrote: »
    Is there a duplicate set of source files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\assets

There is a zip "modelsrc" at 182mb and a 1.17GB directory with the same name and same number of containing files.

The game doesn't load .MAX models does it?

No, those are (some of) the source models that are provided as a courtesy to the modding community.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    joshhh wrote: »
    It's all part of a secret partnership UWE has with Intel. UWE makes it so SSD's have a huge impact on performance and then increase game file size so people have to buy larger SSDs.

#nextlevelbusinessstrategy

I thought the #nextlevelbusinessstrategy was to make the loading times intentionally half a millennium long to force people to buy SSDs?
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    they added alot of cosmetics since that time lol :D
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's nothing unusual for a modern game to be that big. After all, maps are huge, filled with textures which are quite high res. 11GB is not really that much, when i was downloading Titanfall it was like 35GB if i remmeber correctly...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Can anything be done?

Get a new hard drive
    Some of us don't have the luxury to afford high speed internet connections or massive storage hard drives. :[

Not sure how this has to do with high speed internet, except for initial download =P.

As for hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840&cm_re=seagate-_-22-148-840-_-Product

1 TB hdd for $70.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    sebb wrote: »
    I thought the #nextlevelbusinessstrategy was to make the loading times intentionally half a millennium long to force people to buy SSDs?
    It can't be that..
    https://trello.com/c/gl0J4a3n/385-increased-loading-and-mapchange-speed
    ;)
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    IronHorse wrote: »
    It can't be that..
    ;)

What kind of benefits are we looking at here?

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The massive size is because UWE put out a lot of the original model sources into the game for modders. That caused most of the large file size jump. It is not just because of in-game stuff.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    It can't be that..
    ;)

What kind of benefits are we looking at here?

1/3 - 1/2 the time. We've had people load a map in around 10-15 second on an ssd.
    Those are not final or promised speeds but a representation of improvements done
    @Soul_Rider‌
    Incorrect. While the source files do posses a large number, the biggest count is still by actual ingame models. Just grab the treesize program and check yourself. :)
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Soul_Rider‌
    Incorrect. While the source files do posses a large number, the biggest count is still by actual ingame models. Just grab the treesize program and check yourself. :)
    For your convenience... the program @meatmachine‌ and @DC_Darkling‌ refer to is probably this one (TreeSize Free). At least that's what I use, and yes, it's good.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    The massive size is because UWE put out a lot of the original model sources into the game for modders. That caused most of the large file size jump. It is not just because of in-game stuff.
    Incorrect. The source files in the game are max files and model compile files. Hardly any size at all, 183mb compared to 7.04 gb
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    RejZoR wrote: »
    It's nothing unusual for a modern game to be that big. After all, maps are huge, filled with textures which are quite high res. 11GB is not really that much, when i was downloading Titanfall it was like 35GB if i remmeber correctly...

BF4 is topping 40GB and still has two more DLC packs to go by the end of the year. I shudder to even imagine what WoW is going to be up to when WoD comes out.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    But BF4 is using what is currently in my opinion the most advanced graphic engine available on the market. Frostbite Engine is really amazing and that alone results in a massive size. The number of textures and tehir size also greatly affects the size. It's what makes all games so big. GUI elements, 3D mesh models, scripts and other "minor" stuff hardly has any size.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I was just throwing it out as another example of how huge modern games have gotten. God only knows how insanely large Star Citizen is going to be once they start adding planetside and PU content. It's already 12.6 GB for a couple of small deathmatch maps, the hangers and the ships that are currently available.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wolfenstein and Titanfall both take over 50GB of space, crazy!