Build 267 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    edited August 2014
    Also as a result the shift can only be ecoed once
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    found a pretty big bug here I think, During the mapchange it resetted the player count, also in the server browser and allowed new incoming connections, making reserved slots useless, and I don't know what happens with ppl who are already connected to the server during mapchange....

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Am I the only one who thinks that this patch deserves a name?
  • ArgiArgi Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30069Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cryptor wrote: »
    Well now the game is unplayable. So much crashing. Can't even play for 1 min.

Do you have any crash dumps?
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    You guys know there's a Tech Support forum where these Bug Reports would be more useful right?

This one's really going to turn into a praise fest more than anything.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    I couldn't get quick join working. The menu crashes (which also deactivates my crosshair :P) with:

Error: lua/menu/GUIMainMenu_PlayNow.lua:95: attempt to perform arithmetic on upvalue 'closerTo' (a function value)

If you want more details I can reproduce it at any time.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Feels slightly smoother, though i can still sense the weird sluggishness on the mouse later on in the game. Also, Combat mod is non operational. Loads everything and then it's just a black screen and orange mouse cursor. And then i have to Alt+F4 to exit the game. Ugh...

I guess i can't complain over the slight improvement. It's better than nothing for sure.
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    Just updated my Mod free server if anyone want's to give it a run. Look for 'Yogurtland' in the server browser.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love the patch, I can finally play on High settings again without the game being a hitchy mess. Thank you CDT.
    Will make reports in tec support forum now.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    the_tick wrote: »
    Minor request, disable the player limit in the server.exe, every time there is update I have to modify the server.exe

I couldn't find it when I scanned the changelog, but are there any server side performance improvements made?

Not much. The problem is really that in order to scale the Spark1.0 engine properly (to much more complex environments and higher playercounts), you would need to multithread the server - and doing that is ... well, technically possible in that I have an idea how to do it, but it would be arseloads of work and involve rewriting much of the lua code.

268 will contain new ways to monitor server load though.
  • Mordecai WalfishMordecai Walfish Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164803Members
    Should we be using the new multi-threaded physics option if we have PhysX GPU acceleration already turned on? Does this allow physics to be calculated by multiple CPU cores and GPU at the same time?
    edited August 2014
    Will there be a hotfix for the shifts or is that now a balance change that they can only eco one time until 268?
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    Zaggy wrote: »
    Looks like an awesome patch, still nothing on AMD/linux:

Black screen on start: http://i.imgur.com/pCLvnzS.png

AMD driver in use: http://i.imgur.com/RxvJVhU.png

Try switching to fullscreen windowed and see what happens, just curious :P

Thanks for the reply, system_options.xml is as below:
    <options>
        <system>
            <runs>3</runs>
            <build>267</build>
        </system>
        <graphics>
            <display>
                <x-resolution>1280</x-resolution>
                <shadows>true</shadows>
                <bloom>true</bloom>
                <y-resolution>800</y-resolution>
                <display-buffering>0</display-buffering>
                <anisotropic-filtering>true</anisotropic-filtering>
                <anti-aliasing>true</anti-aliasing>
                <quality>1</quality>
                <window-mode>fullscreen-windowed</window-mode>
                <atmospherics>true</atmospherics>
            </display>
            <texture-streaming>true</texture-streaming>
            <device>OpenGL</device>
        </graphics>
    </options>[

• SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    wow nice updates!! so many! great job people!
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    matso wrote: »
    the_tick wrote: »
    Minor request, disable the player limit in the server.exe, every time there is update I have to modify the server.exe

I couldn't find it when I scanned the changelog, but are there any server side performance improvements made?

Not much. The problem is really that in order to scale the Spark1.0 engine properly...

Does this mean there is a Spark 2.0 being worked on?
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I guess this patch needs hotfixes. That's what happens when you roll out a huge update instead of several smaller ones.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    After playing a few rounds I have to say the main menu is the smoothest it ever was. I mean... try it. It's so awesomely smooth.

The actual game also seemed to have gotten better, I think. Luckily though it doesn't turn every marine into a pro shooter after all :D
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2014
    With http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134613/linux-workaround-for-amd-catalyst-users-update I can start the game on AMD/Linux!

Edit: appears to get stuck during loading though, somewhere after "Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json"
  • mockmock Germany Join Date: 2014-03-28 Member: 195015Members, NS2 Playtester
    I have a question: after playing for a decade as mock²³, suddenly my player name is invalid. Why exactly? What kind of arbitrariness is that!?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited August 2014
    rkfg wrote: »
    I guess this patch needs hotfixes. That's what happens when you roll out a huge update instead of several smaller ones.

It looks like the issues come from outdated mods, so no hotfix in order
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    mock wrote: »
    I have a question: after playing for a decade as mock²³, suddenly my player name is invalid. Why exactly? What kind of arbitrariness is that!?

Some changes to fonts and characters were made, we have already asked our programmer that worked on that to help with your issue for the next patch.

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    NS2+ is confirmed causing the volcano/echoing shift issues. See tech support forum for details. Many servers run this mod.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Fixed the Shift bug in NS2+, sorry bout that.
  • GalapagOGalapagO Florida Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193121Members
  • GalapagOGalapagO Florida Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193121Members
    Thanks guys. You are amazing.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Patch all good so far!

Cool female idle animations! She does some strange thing with her left hand when throwing the axe though.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Jekt wrote: »
    Patch all good so far!

Cool female idle animations! She does some strange thing with her left hand when throwing the axe though.

Obviously... girls can't throw an axe =))