New Skill System Reset

WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
Hello Everyone,

As I am sure a lot of you know, we are launching an entirely new skill tracking system with Build 267. What does this mean? Well it means that we will be changing the way that HIVE calculates your skill. Does this mean the current skill/lvl information is being reset? Yes. However, due to some final tweaks that need addressing on the HIVE system the reset will not take place until 8/9 or 8/10. It was our hope to do the reset in coordination with the build release but that just couldn't happen. The new skill system will be in effect starting with the launch of 267 and will update your current stats, but again be prepared for a zero reset this weekend. Your lvl and HIVE stats should begin to populate quickly with a few rounds after that and you'll be right back on track!

Also please note, this reset will not effect BADGES.

Thank you!

Comments

• MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    edited August 2014
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    Also please note, this reset will not effect BADGES.
    *watches community put down pitchforks*

Sounds great Wasabi.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited August 2014
    In the meantime, it will be interesting to see how well players fare on the new system using their old score.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    ...it took me a second to figure out he was using American notation.

For the record:
    He means 9./10. of August, which is the upcoming weekend.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    ...it took me a second to figure out he was using American notation.

For the record:
    He means 9./10. of August, which is the upcoming weekend.

Yea I hate that notation too... but we're stuck with it. :(
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    lol, I always forget that :P will try better next time!
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I can already see people joining a rookie friendly server to get the highest skills. Anyway, that's really nice & totally understandable.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Pelargir wrote: »
    I can already see people joining a rookie friendly server to get the highest skills. Anyway, that's really nice & totally understandable.
    It was covered in the clogcast that joining server below your level rewards you with less skill points (or whatever the unit of measurement is). If it's really below you, you get nothing at all. So it doesn't serve players to join servers well below them if they're trying to get a higher skill rating, because they won't.

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited August 2014
    Martigen wrote: »
    It was covered in the clogcast that joining server below your level rewards you with less skill points (or whatever the unit of measurement is). If it's really below you, you get nothing at all. So it doesn't serve players to join servers well below them if they're trying to get a higher skill rating, because they won't.

Yep I know, I translated the said sentences for the french translation. But there's a huge difference between that you said & the facts, I mean, there will be a number of players that won't be aware of this & try to join a rookie friendly server, because they do not know it's gonna be useless. That's also the reason I love these changes, to stop this kind of behaviors from some players...

Yep I know, I translated the said sentences for the french translation. But there's a huge difference between that you said & the facts, I mean, there will be a number of players that won't be aware of this & try to join a rookie friendly server, because they do not know it's gonna be useless. That's also the reason I love these changes, to stop this kind of behaviors from some players...
    Right :) Does hovering the mouse over the skill rating in the server browser show a tooltip? If so, maybe it's worth adding "... Note: Joining this server will not increase your skill ranking". Apart from that, it's about raising awareness. Hopefully this can be mentioned in the official blog post announcing the release of the patch.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Like the old system the new one need the data who is skilled and who is a rookie.
    So like in the old system you need to stomp rookies to feed the system with the basic data.
    After a few weeks the system should start to run like intended.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    If you want to initialize it so it works reasonably well from the start, I'd suggest setting everyone's skill to the log of their total playtime.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Can you keep the play time at least? :)
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    dePARA wrote: »
    Like the old system the new one need the data who is skilled and who is a rookie.
    So like in the old system you need to stomp rookies to feed the system with the basic data.

I will do my best to stomp the rookies (not too hard though).
  • alf90alf90 Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170766Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold
    mannn, gonna miss seeing bestprofilename at the top :c
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Dictator93 wrote: »

The fastest way to improve your skill rating is to join the underdog team and lead them to victory. That will improve your skill by double the amount that an even game would.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    moultano wrote: »
    Dictator93 wrote: »

The fastest way to improve your skill rating is to join the underdog team and lead them to victory. That will improve your skill by double the amount that an even game would.

That gave me a thought, what if we put the individual's skill rating on the scoreboard next to everyone's name and the average skill rating for each team? (At least in your relation to each individual player)

Using the ^^,^,=,V,VV or whatever symbols to signify how good each player is in relation to you.

It would potentially allow for more balanced teams. (Though it would lead to discrimination of players and you might as well add Ranks at that point.)
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    DePARA kind of hit the nail on the head - It'll take awhile for the system to really be functional because it has no data. So "Force Even Teams" won't do a whole lot after the reset. In a few weeks, however, it should be good to go and actually useful :D
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @IeptBarakat‌ Well yea, you defeated your own suggestion there as far as I'm concerned. That's basically a deal breaker.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    @SantaClaws Better to defeat my own argument than have others do it for me. :P
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Would it be any better to delay the balance command for a couple weeks and gather data? Idk if it's possible and I doubt people would want to wait any longer. Plz don't attack me by mentioning a delay! :((
    RapGod wrote: »
    Would it be any better to delay the balance command for a couple weeks and gather data? Idk if it's possible and I doubt people would want to wait any longer. Plz don't attack me by mentioning a delay! :((

Even before the skills have converged, the balance command is still useful. Even if the teams that result aren't balanced, they are the teams that give the skill system the most information, so if everyone uses the balance command every game, the system will converge faster.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Decoy wrote: »
    DePARA kind of hit the nail on the head - It'll take awhile for the system to really be functional because it has no data. So "Force Even Teams" won't do a whole lot after the reset. In a few weeks, however, it should be good to go and actually useful :D

I really hope you actually "force" the teams this time. Most people just hop back into the lobby and then join the other team or wait for a slot on the opposite team they are placed on a team.

Also, the team balance voting options have kind of gotten a bad reputation because they've rarely worked. I started playing again a few weeks ago and I haven't seen one passed since I started despite being called a bunch of times. They're usually accompanied by people voicing their opinion on how it "sucks" and "never works", lol.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @ns2isgood, that's because they did 'suck' and 'never worked' - that's 'hopefully' about to change.

While I wouldn't particularly mind that the teams are 'forced', I don't see it as a big problem tbh. If players change teams, then the game outcome prediction automatically adjusts iirc.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2014
    All I know is I was somehow top 5 on the old stats system, and stayed there without logging in for 3 months+.. so something was broken!!

Not to mention people were boosting to stay atop of it, and it worked really weird...... if I faced better people and still do good -- my stats would be lower, then facing complete new players and destroying -- so a system like that seems really wrong
    Who on the CDT did most of the implementation? I'd be curious to talk to them about how it's implemented.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @moultano‌

From the notes on the Trello board, i think it was Ghoul and AceDude and SamusDroid
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    @Moultano I'd recommend messaging @GhoulofGSG9 @Samusdroid or @Acedude

I'm not sure of the details of it, but I'm sure they are ;)
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well that explains why force even teams was a complete nonsense yesterday...
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    moultano wrote: »
    If you want to initialize it so it works reasonably well from the start, I'd suggest setting everyone's skill to the log of their total playtime.

@moultano thanks for the explanation on Reddit. It was a very interesting read (even though I don't understand most of the maths). I hope this will start to work out the way you envisaged, and give us more balanced games.

On the subject of enforced teams, I think Tick's server (could be another EU server) that gives you the "average" skill of each team after a force team. It will also NOT allow you to change teams once a force vote is passed for 5 minutes (so you must play for 5 minutes as the forced team). By then, you might be too invested to join the other side.