267 : Physics Multithreading

Comments

• METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @ezekel, and try out DX9 optimizations.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    METROID wrote: »
    @ezekel, and try out DX9 optimizations.

I only play in DX9 for ns2, performance got worse in dx10 or whatever was the option available
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Every time I read this thread, I have to go and change my underwear. #:-S

Can't wait, thank you members of the CDT for your hard work.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2014
    WHERE IS THIS PATCH!!!11oneone?
    I keep expecting the game to update every day :-/ .
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    ezekel wrote: »
    Just to clear things up with this update

We have a multi-thread option we can enable (but it's disabled by default) and we have a new vram option? and if we have 2gb of VRAM we should set it to 1.5GB or is it default to that. That's what I got out of all the posts so far

1) Yes, you can enable Multithreaded Physics. This will help improve frame-rates in your end-game of a round (when tons of stuff is happening and FPS seems to tank). Quad cores can see up to a 20% FPS increase in this worst-case scenario, with Dual-Cores up to 15%. The reason this is off by default, is that it's still experimental. We had a few issues during playtesting but those were all resolved. But we might have missed something - we need people to test it and give us feedback :)

2) If you have a 2GB Card, set it to the 2GB Option. If you find you're still hitching a little on texture loading, set it to a lower setting until you find the best one for you. Note that the lower setting you go, the more you will notice texture pop (where the texture loads in the High-Resolution one over the top of the really low-res one). Your FPS SHOULD remain smooth throughout this though which is the most important change.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I would like to add thatmany hitches have been removed by default, even if you dont use those two options
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You guys are wizards.
  • N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
    edited July 2014
    Plz marry my hyperthetical daughter or take my hyperthetical gaylord sons hand in a civil partnership.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I feel like these unpaid community developers should have just been paid by uwe long ago to fix these issues that have been around for a really long time. It may have kept some players around...
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    RapGod wrote: »
    I feel like these unpaid community developers should have just been paid by uwe long ago to fix these issues that have been around for a really long time. It may have kept some players around...

Every day without the patch is potentially losing more, the game is pretty much unplayable without using a ramdisk, for me.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited July 2014
    Edit - my previous post is a tangent and will only lead to grumpy feelings. Presume.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    So how soon is soon.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
  • NessNess Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10935Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Aw, man. I've been using my nice video card to bow NS2 into submission for high frame rates. Now everyone will also have awesome performance and I'll be exposed for the talentless schmoe I am :(:(:(
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @‌ Thats a point; with better performance will come better players.

I wager there are a huge number of players who are actually much better than they seem, simply due to performance issues making their aim marginally but significantly worse.
    Will it make them think better. :)
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My body is still ready...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're close guys.....it's looking like sometime this week for sure, but the day, the day.......
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're close guys.....it's looking like sometime this week for sure, but the day, the day.......

just happens to be a terrible weak for me! But I shall enjoy it...... ne ne ne neeeeeeext week!
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obraxis wrote: »

soon_meme_collection_640_14.jpg
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Final release candidate testing is happening. There is always a chance a bug is found that needs fixing and another round of testing. But other than that the patch is feature complete and stable
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Final release candidate testing is happening. There is always a chance a bug is found that needs fixing and another round of testing. But other than that the patch is feature complete and stable
    *squeals like a little girl*

Wait, was that my outside voice?

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    Will it make them think better. :)
    I know I think a lot better when I'm not frustrated that the skulk I seemingly tracked perfectly for 30 bullets is still alive and biting my kneecaps off :P

Plus when your aim/dps isnt hindered the feedback you get from the situations in which you die vs the situations in which you live is much more accurate.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Squeal like a piggy!!!" I'm waiting for it just because of performance reasons, the game is hardly playable these days, will see if it really improves things that much...
    I think I'm just lucky because I get a smooth 170 fps constantly. God knows how anyone plays with a sub par frame rate. Same with anyone on a crap monitor, no gamma options must suck.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Final release candidate testing is happening. There is always a chance a bug is found that needs fixing and another round of testing.

Out of curiosity, how long is the iteration loop when this happens? The time to fix the bug will vary, of course, but after the fix is committed... how long does it take to build a new RC, deploy it to testers, and have a new playtest running?