267 : Physics Multithreading

Comments

• METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It will not be a Friday for sure. Bad things can happen on weekends ))))
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    RejZoR wrote: »
    "Squeal like a piggy!!!" I'm waiting for it just because of performance reasons, the game is hardly playable these days, will see if it really improves things that much...

Rememeber. the overall framerate will not increase, but there will be less hitches. Also, while there will be less, some still remain (not all hitches are there for the same reason). 267 is the start of those hitch reducing efforts and will have different results on different setups. Further work on it is already planned.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I never really noticed awful hitching until quite recently; lately I've been getting quite a lot of it, including some big (~1 second) hitches just as I'm being pounced on by skulks with perhaps a new lifeform or ability just entering the fray. Sooooo I'm greatly looking forward to seeing how this affects things.
    METROID wrote: »
    But that's never stopped us before! MWUAHAHAHAH

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I never really noticed awful hitching until quite recently; lately I've been getting quite a lot of it, including some big (~1 second) hitches just as I'm being pounced on by skulks with perhaps a new lifeform or ability just entering the fray. Sooooo I'm greatly looking forward to seeing how this affects things.
    METROID wrote: »
    But that's never stopped us before! MWUAHAHAHAH

Yeah I hadn't noticed it too badly for a long time, but in the last few months in particular the hitching has been really bad. Very excited for this :)
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It should happen soon, because reasons.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Look. Obraxis agreed with me. Thursday evening or friday morning guys.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The hype is reaching dangerous levels!
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    Just push and fix any bugs afterwards. There's so many people waiting on this patch to be able to play. =3
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Little do we know the patch turns the game into minesweeper. Perf issues fixed!
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Asraniel wrote: »
    RejZoR wrote: »
    "Squeal like a piggy!!!" I'm waiting for it just because of performance reasons, the game is hardly playable these days, will see if it really improves things that much...

Rememeber. the overall framerate will not increase, but there will be less hitches. Also, while there will be less, some still remain (not all hitches are there for the same reason). 267 is the start of those hitch reducing efforts and will have different results on different setups. Further work on it is already planned.

I don't need it to increase, i just want it to stop digging down to unplayable 30fps...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Turbine wrote: »
    Just push and fix any bugs afterwards. There's so many people waiting on this patch to be able to play. =3

I'm sorry, but that's not how it works. If we push the patch now, we'll have to hotfix because people would complain about the last remaining issues.

We found another couple of small things that need to be fixed before release. We'll be doing some more final testing today. On another note, our change-log reached 9 pages on Google Docs (size 11 font). Yowzers!
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Obraxis wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but that's not how it works. If we push the patch now, we'll have to hotfix because people would complain about the last remaining issues.

We found another couple of small things that need to be fixed before release. We'll be doing some more final testing today. On another note, our change-log reached 9 pages on Google Docs (size 11 font). Yowzers!

Even though I feel like a kid before christmas about this update I'd rather wait until you think it's ready. Going for quality is always the better choice.

Looking forward to reading those nine pages. Would you consider releasing the change-log in advance to tease us a bit more?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2014
    @SupaFred‌
    They're still fixing so any changelog they release now would be incomplete.
    If you want to be teased soooo hard, check out the 'confirmed fixed' column on the CDT trello -
    https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @meatmachine‌ Thanks, I have read that. I just want more! :)
  • BishopCBishopC Germany Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194139Members
    MACs are now trying to move to marines backside instead of being a constant bullet blocking annoyance? GIMME ZE PATCH!
    ^^
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Is hugh gona read the whole changelog on vid or who is the sucke....uhm...volunteer who is asigned that job? :D
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    Is hugh gona read the whole changelog on vid or who is the sucke....uhm...volunteer who is asigned that job? :D

Answer that question yourself by looking at the last CDT patch release ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Bvkp2ocX0NQ
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited July 2014
    BishopC wrote: »
    MACs are now trying to move to marines backside instead of being a constant bullet blocking annoyance? GIMME ZE PATCH!
    ^^
    They haven't blocked bullets in a while, however there was a bug that prevented shotgun shots from going through them, but that's fixed. You will still see the sparks obviously so that makes it a little confusing...

While we're at it, this fix was in NS2+, so if you've been playing on servers with it running then you already had the fix.

Of course, this change with the MACs moving away is helpful because they don't obstruct your view anymore in any case :D
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester

I took early 1800s literature in college, bring on that sissy shit!
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2014
    Looks like the CDT team playing with this in there sparetime:

fail-owned-torture-toy-fail.jpg
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Heh - we're trying our best to get this out guys. The programmers and PTs are putting in HUGE efforts to get it to you. But just when you think you got that laaaaaaaaaaaaaaast show-stopper bug, 2 more get uncovered. One was a shotgun bug, the other a server issue.

We think we've got fixes for both now, but they will need testing tomorrow (Thursday). So it's looking like next week now for release, if the Patch Gods allow it. *Shakes fist at Patch Gods*

Stability is what you guys expect, so we're not letting down on such things.

So thursday evening or friday morning ... next week?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    james888 wrote: »
    Heh - we're trying our best to get this out guys. The programmers and PTs are putting in HUGE efforts to get it to you. But just when you think you got that laaaaaaaaaaaaaaast show-stopper bug, 2 more get uncovered. One was a shotgun bug, the other a server issue.

We think we've got fixes for both now, but they will need testing tomorrow (Thursday). So it's looking like next week now for release, if the Patch Gods allow it. *Shakes fist at Patch Gods*

So thursday evening or friday morning ... next week?

Or the week after at this rate.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Well said.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm starting to feel patch withdrawal symptoms... shaking, irritable, fever.

I'm jonesing for a new build, baby, I needz it! I neeeeeedz it!

(Waiting patiently... kind of)
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation

Patch releases, entering com chair causes all users computers to crash... well you can still play the mods I guess lol.

This is why you need testers and fixes before release.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited July 2014
    2cough wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel patch withdrawal symptoms... shaking, irritable, fever.

I'm jonesing for a new build, baby, I needz it! I neeeeeedz it!

(Waiting patiently... kind of)

I'll trade you a cheeseburger for the patch mayn.

But yea, best to release when ready. Otherwise, there will definitely be a rage post demandin a hotfix the next day.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited July 2014
    ZEROibis wrote: »

Patch releases, entering com chair causes all users computers to crash... well you can still play the mods I guess lol.

This is why you need testers and fixes before release.

It was actually that all marine players crashed after the round ended, not when it started. But hey, you were close!

Things are looking much better for releasing now, though; we basically just need to check the changes that we tested today once they've been built in the final RC version to make sure nothing else screwed up. Historically releasing patches on Thursday or Friday is asking for a problem that needs a hotfix, and it leaves us with very little (if any) time to get that hotfix ready. While it's possible that we could technically have the build ready tomorrow, we're still probably not going to push the patch until next week because it's just not worth the risk of any potential disruption that a last minute problem that we can't hotfix in time would cause over the weekend.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    tears

tears have been shed