Custom map playtest sessions

Comments

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Maybe.
    Set a password on the server. Put it in this thread.
    It will ensure players connecting took a look at the thread at least.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Maybe.
    Set a password on the server. Put it in this thread.
    It will ensure players connecting took a look at the thread at least.

Often enough there's problems populating the server, I don't think that would help.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Just join the dedicated Mumble, easy to do.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I think a reserved slots system would work better. I suggested it once before, but they pointed out that then they would have to pay more for more server slots (even if you have reserved slots, you still have to have slots available to join). So I suggest we just limit the number of players to 8v8. I think it's more balanced that way anyways. Once you get up to 9v9 and 10v10, the game just feels different, balance-wise. It certainly wouldn't hurt performance either.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    What size is the server currently?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

It looks like an 18 slot. So if we cap the games to 8v8, then we could have 2 reserved slots while the game is going.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

It looks like an 18 slot. So if we cap the games to 8v8, then we could have 2 reserved slots while the game is going.

Hm. But 18 is most representative of pub gaming.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    I'll try and join the mumble server next time. I didn't do it last time because I saw on your videos that people talked in-game instead of through mumble.
    No biggie, I'll see if I can join the fun next sunday
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    18-20 is what I would say is the best pub server size. 6v6 is too small for pubs, 7v7 is a strange number, and anything after 20 is hell.
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    We constantly install and remove mods on the box, which makes it a bit unstable. Our provider loves to wipe the box as well. Discourages any mods that require config.

I remember some room was made for mappers last Sunday, typically it is announced in chat but that's easily missed. Mumble is the best way to obtain a slot, we love to put our claws in new people!

• troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    If anyone has any problems, please speak to me, Flat or Daan. We've made this so people can have fun and test maps(While a few of the community see custom maps as nothing to look at). I agree we have trouble balancing teams sometimes but we have had some amazing games/good plays in the past few weeks - The mumble is used for more mapper comments/gameplay comments before and after each map(and just a lot of bs chat - if you've watched daans video im sure you've heard some of it).

I've asked this a few times, if you have an update or would like your map tested the best way is to let me or flat know we will then get it ready/test it before we set it up on the server because it's happened a few times with a new update a powernode might be missing or cyst problems, and it just helps us test your map.

Also mappers/regulares will always get priority over randoms - the reserved slot system just isn't that good all you need to do it ask in mumble or if you don't get a response because we're in a game and i'm commanding most of the time message me or flat and we'll get it sorted.

But overall this is a community run server, if you want to suggest something speak with me or flat - we're always happy to listen, and on that note we're always accepting donations/more admins.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I received a message that honorguard isn't working on a dedicated server anymore. Could you load it up and test it? People alwas come to me if their server isn't working and I really have no idea of ns2 server stuff :P I changed nothing and ns2 didn't update...dunno whats wrong. I whish ns2 wouldn't be a shot in the dark about problems all the time :/

I thought you make a map and if it works it will work forever. That is at least what I thought was true for other games.

P.S. looking forward to sunday as usual. Haven't had so much fun playing since the golden beta days ended.
    troops wrote: »
    I've asked this a few times, if you have an update or would like your map tested the best way is to let me or flat know we will then get it ready/test it before we set it up on the server because it's happened a few times with a new update a powernode might be missing or cyst problems, and it just helps us test your map.

I just got a new version of frost up for tonight. You can take a look at it if you want. (Also to see if the mod works.)
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    FYI I should have a new version of ns2_nothing ready to go on the weekend.
    edited August 2014
    Scheduling their damned clogcast during our playtest! Why I oughtta....... ;)
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    So bad, you need to do a choice then... But anyway, the ClogCast takes only one hour right? I guess you just have to start playtest a little bit later or something.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Scheduling their damned clogcast during our playtest! Why I oughtta....... ;)

I doubt you gonna have the BIG news in there. Holidays, etc...
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    We'll start as normal(pending other things) but people can show up later if they wish. We'll be in mumble before so we'll see whos there and how many we get.
    Hey everyone I just wanted to say sorry for tonight. The server was crapping itself and i'll get to the bottom of it so it wont happen next week! But we did have a few good maps/games and lets keep it up for next week.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited August 2014
    Hi guys, what maps will you play tonight ? (will you play tonight btw ?)

Edit : it was really nice tonight, had a lot of fun.

By the way are you planning on doing 6 v 6 playtests some time ? Could be very interesting too. On fusion, fracture, caged, etc ...
    Hey MV, missed this before we play but it was a good night had some good testing done. When it comes to 6v6 we would love to get some testing done on maps.

We have done this before and would again be happy to get it setup with the mappers being there to see the play. If you would talk to me or Flat im sure we can get this going again.
    edited August 2014
    Yeah I saw on your youtube channel (SCC's) that this had already been done a few times in the past, that's why I asked about 6v6 playtests.

And I would absolutetly love to do one of those (could even get a few of my teammates (two or three, maybe four) to join the fun) someday.
    Are they usually planned on this thread ?

EDIT : have you guys played on Stratos yet ? It's freaking beautiful, and fully textured
    edited August 2014
    Sadly I won't be there sunday. Is there a playtest session organized like tomorrow ? by any chance ?
    @MauvaisVitrier We'll talk about setting some games up again.

I have played stratos it is a pretty map, and i'm always happy to play maps people want after we finish testing.

We had server problems on sunday(sorted now, long term plans are being talked about) so we didnt play but there will be something planned in the week that i hope people can come to i'll announce it tomorrow.
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey peeps, sorry I haven't been attending the last few sessions, my mouse died and I haven't yet got a decent replacement. The one I'm currently using is not up to fps games at all. I hope to have one in time for next week. Have fun and hope to catch up on the maps then!
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't know if you already have been, but it'd be awesome if you guys could spend some time looking at fusion.
    I'd very much like that !
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Good chance we'll be having fusion votable very soon (Wooza's). Try checking it out when it does run.
    Mouse wrote: »
    I don't know if you already have been, but it'd be awesome if you guys could spend some time looking at fusion.

Move out from Australia, join their playtests every sunday, spam for voting Fusion, and enjoy!
    ATF wrote: »
    Good chance we'll be having fusion votable very soon (Wooza's). Try checking it out when it does run.

That would be awesome! Especially on a such large server.
    edited September 2014
    Pelargir wrote: »
    ATF wrote: »
    That would be awesome! Especially on a such large server.
    Especially on such a large server ? you think that's a good idea ? Fusion is pretty small, I don't know if it will be interesting to play on 20+ slots servers. Wait & see I guess.

@Pelargir : wasn't fusion supposed to be added to the ensl gathers' map list ?

EDIT : just checked. It's been added. NICE !