[Linux] b262 doesn't start

124»

Comments

• abelthorneabelthorne Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187171Members
    edited April 2014
    Anybody tried with the new Catalyst 14.6 beta?
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited June 2014
    Tested 14.6 just now on my kaveri. It loaded the sandbox mode, so it seems to be compiling the shaders.

• SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Tested Catalyst 14.6 on a kabini(A4-5000). Worked fine. Poor performance, but pretty much all 3D games are slow on it(not a gaming rig).
    Think we can say that this issue is resolved.
  • mintehminteh Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151389Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Just tested 14.6 myself. All working :)! Get around 30-40fps with my R9 290 and its just about playable
    edited July 2014
    I've tried Catalyst 14.6b and while it's a bit better, the game still doesn't work. It doesn't get stuck on the loading screen anymore, it goes to the main menu but when I start to optimize the files as asked or skip and try to launch the tutorial, it loads the map, compile shaders and crashes to desktop. I've tried to delete the cache directory with no change.

The log is too long for the forum, I put it on Pastebin : http://pastebin.com/7f9F3yBM
    Tried the new 14.6 beta that was released a few days ago. Still the same. So, basically, I'm the only one that still can't play the game on Linux 11 monthes after it was released?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    abelthorne wrote: »
    Tried the new 14.6 beta that was released a few days ago. Still the same. So, basically, I'm the only one that still can't play the game on Linux 11 monthes after it was released?

Hi, it is long known that ns2 doesn't work with catalyst without a little trick:

Look here.

Made it also a sticky thread right now so all ppl see it and it don't gets lost ;) BTW CDT will work on fixing the linux issues if possible
    edited July 2014
    Good news: it works!
    Less good news: perfs are absolutely catastrophic, with around 7 fps in 1920 × 1080 (native screen res). I have to switch to 960 × 540 to get a decent framerate (~ 28 fps) with lowest settings possible. Will try in Openbox, as I suspect that the "fullscreen window" mode is part of the problem with the Unity (Ubuntu DE) compositor still active.

What amazes me is that perfs seem to be the same as when the game worked for a few weeks, before the infamous AMD bug. At that time, the OpenGL engine was supposed to be still in early beta. I'm pretty disappointed to see that several monthes later, it hasn't really evolved.

EDIT: well, playing on OpenBox doesn't seem to change a lot. The resolution is really the perfs-killers here. 1024 × 576 seems playbale (around 25 fps). Is it possible to display fps on screen? I can only see them from the options menu and they seem to drop a bit when really playing and moving.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    abelthorne wrote: »
    OpenBox doesn't seem to change a lot. The resolution is really the perfs-killers here. 1024 × 576 seems playbale (around 25 fps). Is it possible to display fps on screen? I can only see them from the options menu and they seem to drop a bit when really playing and moving.
    Open Console, mostlkely with §. Type command "fps" or "r_stats", also have a look at command "profiler".

Ok, thanks, I'll check the console.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @abelthorne‌
    That is because no work has been done for performance in regards to the Linux side of NS2 since it was first introduced.
    As a proven community development team now, however, we have brought on some talented users to help remedy this and other Linux related issues.
    Thanks for pushing through the tough times, though :)