(hdd) Micro-stutter since recent update

TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
Recently I've been experiencing an extremely annoying pause whenever something is happening (eg person firing) and every few seconds. In MvM I experience it every 3 seconds for two whole seconds. All of my settings are on the lowest possible, to try and reduce these pauses.

When I create a 11gb ramdisk for NS2, the game runs fine. The game only uses 1.3gb of my ram max, and I have another 14gb free.

There must be a bug in the pre-caching. I've tried it on both of the hdd's in this machine.

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're aware of this, there are as few things in the next patch (267) that should hopefully help you with this issue.

Cheers!
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    edited July 2014
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're aware of this, there are as few things in the next patch (267) that should hopefully help you with this issue.

Would you be able to share any in-side knowledge of which week it may appear?

Thanks, by the way.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    soon-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2228.jpg

My heart, that's one way to frighten me. Looks like a new Kharaa life-form to me.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    Turbine wrote: »
    ...I experience it every 3 seconds for two whole seconds.

Wat? Reminds me of: (second sentence) http://theinfosphere.org/Dark_matter "A pound of it weighs over ten thousand pounds"
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Turbine wrote: »
    ...I experience it every 3 seconds for two whole seconds.

Wat? Reminds me of: (second sentence) http://theinfosphere.org/Dark_matter "A pound of it weighs over ten thousand pounds"

That is confusing stuff there, but his made more sense than that. If you didn't catch it I think he is talking about 5 second terms with 3 seconds of good and 2 seconds of bad.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts