Grenade Launchers

hephophaphephophap asdasd Join Date: 2014-04-08 Member: 195258Members
I'm curious what the general opinion is on Grenade Launchers.

Do you think they are perfect as they are, or should something be changed?

Comments

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Is this another troll thread?
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    Just like flame throwers, grenade launchers are deadly to grab as a marine without either A) a jetpack, or B) having a group of teammates cover you. Option B provides vulnerability to other areas of the map if the entire team is dependent on one portion of the map.

• freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is how grenade launchers work in my experience, if I am facing a few marines or even one marine with a GL, I am going to die whether I am fade/skulk/lerk/gorge. If I have a GL and don't have a jetpack I cannot kill any aliens whatsoever. Skulks with bullets already in them or anything.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Grenade launcher + jetpack = ultimate awesomeness.

I was frequent Tribes player. So I love projectile weapons. And flying.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    They are pretty good where they are. They are best for spamming and taking down loads of structures/fortifications. It is very difficult to kill something on your feet with one.

Combat mode is a whole other story.
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    it's funny to see grenade launching noobs kill themselves from a teammate body blocking their grenades
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I always prefer grenades over a GL.

If Jetpacks are available I will take a Flamethrower over a GL every time.

I think they could use a larger AoE again
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Right now as it stands GL's for public play are far to strong when they are used correctly, they should not be able to do that much damage to a fade or 1 hit a lerk, there main roles should be used as such area suppression or for clearing areas that aliens have built up in.

Every weapon in NS2 has its own unique role, but alot of players dont use the different combo of weapons, instead of having 4 GL's clear an area, have 1 with a FT, 2 SG's and 1 GL, i bet you kill more than structures with that sort of combo, where as if you go 4 Gl's and try and clear an area, 1 skulk that knows how to dodge will clean at least 2 of you up.

Right now i think that the FT is the best weapon in the game, It dose soo many different things, Stops aliens structures, delays healing, DOT, it stops Drifter Spam, it stops Umbra/spores, It drains Energy, so overall FT is by far better.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    Right now i think that the FT is the best weapon in the game, It dose soo many different things, Stops aliens structures, delays healing, DOT, it stops Drifter Spam, it stops Umbra/spores, It drains Energy, so overall FT is by far better.

Yea, It's just too bad that you can't kill aliens with it.................... -.-
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think the GL damage values are fine. The shells need to be highlighted and the collision box should probably be smaller but that's about it.
    This is how grenade launchers work in my experience, if I am facing a few marines or even one marine with a GL, I am going to die whether I am fade/skulk/lerk/gorge. If I have a GL and don't have a jetpack I cannot kill any aliens whatsoever. Skulks with bullets already in them or anything.

This is my experience with GLs.

If I hear a GL being fired, I get away from the floor and move erratically. I live, they die. It's marvelous, actually.

If I have a GL, I use it to kill structures. I get DIRECT HITS on the specific structure I want to kill at that time. 4 GLs kill a crag, shift or shade. 9 will kill a harvester. With a jetpack you can essentially perform hit-and-run attacks that decimate alien structures.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I still think the flametrower should ignore armor (or do bonus damage if they have armor, like cooking them inside their own carapace :D)

GLs should definately have their player damage tuned down, maybe by tuning how much extra structural damage does to structures? (I think its 2x?, maybe make it 3x, and lower all the base damage?)
  • hephophaphephophap asdasd Join Date: 2014-04-08 Member: 195258Members
    Desther wrote: »

Are you the devil?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Do you know 4 direct hits will kill a crag? That is one GL clip. That is while doing some AOE.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    james888 wrote: »

Do you know 4 direct hits will kill a crag? That is one GL clip. That is while doing some AOE.

If you calculate in terms of seconds, the shotgun kills a crag and reloads in 7 seconds (not accounting for regen or maturity and at full maturity) and a grenade launcher kills a crag and reloads in 8.2 seconds at weapons 3.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    Do GLs benefit from weapon upgrades?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    james888 wrote: »

If you calculate in terms of seconds, the shotgun kills a crag and reloads in 7 seconds (not accounting for regen or maturity and at full maturity) and a grenade launcher kills a crag and reloads in 8.2 seconds at weapons 3.

I was responding that it needs more AOE.

In response to shotguns, they have more use than a GL 9/10 times. Far easier to kill life forms with a shotgun, while doing high dps. A gl is really good for clearing structures. A direct hit does a lot of damage, and then some AOE to what is around it. A mix of shotgunners with a GL or two depending on squad size is a good mix, or all shotguns is also good.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    A problem with GL is that folk still think of it as human vs human. But its not. Its human Kharaa, and those critters can climb.
    Most of the folk in pub just spam away. Meaning, excluding lucky shots or bad dives from aliens onto those marines, that most nades will spend there they in ricochet near the floor. So direct damage should not be a problem to begin with.

After all, aliens try there best to stay of the floor..right? RIGHT?
    Sad reality is that most of them in pubs do not, but if you got killed by a GLs anything else then splash/AoE damage, you did it wrong.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    I'd give that assumption weight, @DC_Darkling‌ IF they were outlined and their physics improved. (i. E. Not unpredictably bouncing around a dark cluttered environment, difficult to track the projectile)
    Until then, frustrating, unlucky (sometimes one hit) deaths from the frequently spammed "anti structure" weapon is too often an occurrence Imo.

Edit : I personally feel any frequency of unavoidable, frustrating, random deaths is unacceptable and is just poor design. I mostly die from GLs as a Lerk, btw.. Figure that one out lol
  • freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I die to GLs as a lerk too... I think partly its because the NS1 nade launcher was either faster exploding or more noisy....
    edited July 2014
    Grenades and mines, my lerks worst enemy. Just an hour ago a got sniped down with a direct hit as a lerk in refinery. It was one lucky shot, but still, it follows the trend.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    I have to be the one to say it.... bring back the GL attachment to the rifle. ;)

** would actually be nice in Combat
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    at least with the GL attachment, there wasn't much grenade spam, since it was only 1 at a time, rather than 4 ;)
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    I have to be the one to say it.... bring back the GL attachment to the rifle. ;)

** would actually be nice in Combat

That would be nice again, tho this time around, have it that grenades must be researched as normal, you can buy the same 3 grenades only this time, you fire them from your rifle :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I shant mind projectiles showing on alien vision
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I don't know guys... Nades being highlighted is what they do in CoD...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I don't know guys... Nades being highlighted is what they do in CoD...

If it's in CoD, it must be bad...
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i wish more coms recognized the value of hand grenades early game, very effective against groups of skulks without cara and for clearing early alien defenses. Many coms just go mines without even considering the marines current position, what good is mines when we have yet to take and hold another tech point. Get grenades first.

GLs however i dont really enjoy them, they are either used to end an already over game or they are used for desperate rushes. much prefer a shotgun