Grenade Launchers

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    what good is mines when we have yet to take and hold another tech point.

Dude, what?
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I shant mind projectiles showing on alien vision

Don't they already? Or am I just not noticing it cause I'm using minimal vision?

I thought the problem of inivisble grenades in AV was addressed a long time ago in the beta? Or is it more of a "they need to stand out more" problem rather than "I can't see them at all"?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    May as well add a whistling 'pheeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww' sound so you REALLY know a nade is about to land on your eyeball
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    Roobubba wrote: »

Dude, what?

what good is researching mines when you are on 1 tech point and need to take another from the aliens? thought it was easy enough to understand.

But the choice between mines or grenades is a tactical one but it seems to me like so coms always go mines first without thinking about what the team needs to be doing
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @deathshroud, you've never played a competetive 6v6 in your life have you? I have no idea why you think having mines on two tech points is somehow acceptable while at one it's not. What is it you think happens when you control two tech points that require mines?

In comp play, mines are mainly used in base because if you have mines, a single marine + the commander can hold off a skulk rush fairly easily - while if they do not have mines you have to commit a lot more marines to the defense - meaning less agression.

In general mines are just really great at eliminating vent escapes and such all over the map.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @deathshroud‌ do you by any chance only play on servers with 30+ players?
  • hephophaphephophap asdasd Join Date: 2014-04-08 Member: 195258Members
    Are the devs still doing stuff with rebalancing or is it all on modders now?
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    hephophap wrote: »
    Are the devs still doing stuff with rebalancing or is it all on modders now?

Pretty sure the devs passed the torch to the community team, which has nowhere near the funding or time. So the game will probably get better (in the community's hands) but no huge changes and changes less often.

Could say more but I'd only be trolling. So I shan't.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    @deathshroud‌ do you by any chance only play on servers with 30+ players?

yea and your server
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    Benson wrote: »
    at least with the GL attachment, there wasn't much grenade spam, since it was only 1 at a time, rather than 4 ;)

No, but instead there was shooting grenades near your own feet to instagib players.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    15% less damage to player armor, 30% less damage to player health. Either that or do not allow it to explode-on-hit to players (only to structures).

Projectiles should be outlined.

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Benson wrote: »
    at least with the GL attachment, there wasn't much grenade spam, since it was only 1 at a time, rather than 4 ;)

No, but instead there was shooting grenades near your own feet to instagib players.

Which is pretty much the current gl works in cqc, but with 4 grenades.

I just miss the attatchement GL, I never thought it was too powerful to have an LMG+Single Grenade Launcher.
    What do you disagree with, @meatmachine ?
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Direct damage needs to be reduced on players, most games my fades and lerks don't really die to shotgunners too often unless they're really good with them. Vast majority of the time it's just a few stray, random volleys of nades that luckily hit you really quickly.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited July 2014
    "yea and your server"

oops.

PS: Whilst you will forever need to imitate a *comical* gl in your close quarters game, at least stop the round tumbling to reduce some of the ridiculousness nature of the weapon.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Dude, what?

what good is researching mines when you are on 1 tech point and need to take another from the aliens? thought it was easy enough to understand.

But the choice between mines or grenades is a tactical one but it seems to me like so coms always go mines first without thinking about what the team needs to be doing

Mines are most useful as base and extractor defense in the early game, especially before aliens get carapace. Later on they are also great for mining up vents (many a lerk died this way).
    Contrary to popular belief, NS2 is a resource game, not a tech point one. If marines hold resource nodes on one side of the map, they "control" the tech points there as well.
    A successful team is one that dictates where the front line is, and stops the other from breaking through, thereby defending its resources without actively positioning players at that location. With mines and good positioning, two marines can lock down several resource nodes and tech points.

You don't need to build in a tech point to control it. Further, denying alien tech points is good, but denying them harvesters is better.

As SantaClaws so eloquently put:
    SantaClaws wrote:
    I have no idea why you think having mines on two tech points is somehow acceptable while at one it's not. What is it you think happens when you control two tech points that require mines?
    RapGod wrote: »
    What do you disagree with, @meatmachine ?
    That must have been a mis-click o_O

However, I will add that I have all faith in the CDT to add some much-needed polish to the game. And I think just because they're technically without funding doesnt mean to say updates will grind to a halt; they are every bit as passionate and driven as you could want. Well kinda :D
    I just said there won't be huge fixes but it'll get better. I'll excuse this one mistake, meat. :-p
    @Roobubba I think he's more or less referring to Wooza's server where if you don't take and hold a tech point early on, you're unlikely to ever get it back without rushing for nades. Strategy and aggression don't work on that server for marines, its completely mindless.
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    Strategy and aggression don't happen on that server for marines, its completely mindless.

ftfy :)
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    Strategy and aggression don't happen on that server for marines, its completely mindless.

ftfy :)

Indeed but it also just doesn't work unless GL/JP is combo-ed together:)
    whips hitting away grenades was one of my favorite things in ns2
    Yeah, I always felt like it could have worked if either/or :
    - they didnt knock back EVERY grenade
    - they didnt have pinpoint accuracy
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    whips hitting away grenades was one of my favorite things in ns2
    Yeah, I always felt like it could have worked if either/or :
    - they didnt knock back EVERY grenade
    - they didnt have pinpoint accuracy
    They did that in the past I thought.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whips never got every nade and they seemed to be random where they were thrown back. There was a huge moan about it in beta because they did knock them back 100% and right in your face at one time.

Would be nice if they did have the knock back again, one of the few things I would change.
    edited July 2014
    On launch they would 100% knock them all back, but in random directions.
    After a patch they would 100% knock them all back, straight in your face.

Or it might be the other way round; this is my memory im getting info from :P

I always felt a 1/8 chance to get a nade back in your face would be ok.

OR a higher % chance to get a grenade knocked in a random, short direction (so the whip doesnt take damage, but other nearby structures could randomly take the blast)

Of course, now there are hand grenades, which kind of complicate things a bit. You can't make whips knock them back or else gorge forts + a whip would be OP early game. Could just make it so hand grenades explode when a whip whacks them rather than they get knocked back? Like the housing isn't strong enough to withstand the impact unlike the industrial-strength warheads they put in the GL.

But yeah, I liked the feature too. Just a shame it had serious limitations due to the way the engine handles client/server-side projectiles AFAIK
    As much as it sounds kind of fun to have whips randomly knock back grenades (both chance of knockback combined with random direction of knockback), I can't help thinking that there's an even higher chance of losing your lerk to grenade spam where a whip turns a healing base into an anti-alien turret farm in the presence of a GLer...

So no, on balance I'm coming down on the side of 'don't let grenades to any more unpredictable movement than they already do.'
    edited July 2014
    If you use your imagination there are many situations where I don't think whip knockback would cause imba or random-lerk-death-syndrome, I'm just throwing ideas around for the fun of it :P
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    If the whip knockback was always in the general direction of the marines, just with either less force (so they fall short) or a reasonable angle of dispersion, it would be alright. I wasn't particularly happy when they changed whips to strictly damage. I think this functionality stops or at least cuts back on mindless spammage of explosives.
    With regards to mindless spammage, frankly they could remove the AOE damage for all I care. The direct hit damage to structures is what makes them good, not the AOE.

And I'd further posit that the AOE is in part the reason most players are so damned useless with a GL in their hands. How many times have you seen people GL rushing a hive, and not actually hitting the hive? They just fire the GLs underneath/around it and drool as damage in the multiples of 10s rack up on their screen.

Tell you what'd be awesome?

Turn the GL into something like the cerebral bore from turok, only less OP. So GLs become some kind of different device that is programmed to burrow into whatever it hits and explode inside. That way, if you dont hit the structure, you dont do damage (maybe you could pick the projectiles off the floor to conserve ammunition).

On top of that, increase the 'weight' of the projectile to match its new function, making it harder to use at insane distance and harder to 1HKO lerks.