ns2_caged

Comments

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I wasn't going to, but then I watched some games on Caged, streamed at the AusNS2 Darft Tournament, and I felt motivated to publish a new build today.

CHANGELOG [15th of june 2014]
    o Closed off all the troll vents
    o Added quick and dirty crate-cover in Bypass
    o Fixed occlusion geometry issue in Auxiliary Generator
    o Detailed the northwest corner and northeast junction of Central Processing
    o Detailed the vent between Central Processing and Ventilation Access
    o RIP Sabaton Stole
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    think you might have rushed this release abit to soon, just loaded the map and i have no overview and there is geometry missing
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    seems fine now for me, weird...
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    No issues like that at last night's test either. Strange.
    Quick fix published!

CHANGELOG [16th of june 2014]
    o Fixed flickering prop in Central Processing
    o Raised commander camera in Marine Start a little
    o Fixed cysting issue in Ventilation Access due to ceiling pipe being visible in commander view
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Dayum! These updates are cranking out faaaassst!!! Something you're not telling us? ;)
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Super psyched for this map btw. Been waiting almost two years :P
    caged is my favorite custom map, i cant wait for it to be finished and made official because its a little difficult to get a game on it at the moment
    edited June 2014
    Big experimental change in the new build. Those who were at the SCC map test last Sunday will have seen a broken sneak peek. :D

CHANGELOG [25th of june 2014]
    o Moved Generator tech point to Auxiliary Generator
    o Renamed Upper Sewer and Lower Sewer to Upper Wasteflow and Lower Wasteflow (there were too many sewers!)
    o Renamed Ventilation Access to Life Support (there were too many ventilations!)
    o Renamed Break Room to Shortcut (who'd have their break there anyway?)
    o RIP Belial's Bottom

I moved the generator TP to Aux Gen, to see how that affects the spawn disadvantage of aliens when they start the game there. Right now it's simply a hive plopped into the middle of Aux Gen, with little cover, but hopefully it's enough to test this thoroughly. I'm not yet certain how I will address this switch if it proves to be successful; I may try switching the actual rooms around so you'll still spawn in the old familiar Generator, it'll just connect to the rest differently. We'll see.

Please play this build, I really do need feedback on this change (based on having played it, not gut feelings and wild theories :D).

Layout:
    qITyBhA.jpg
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    Looks ace! Can't wait to try it out :)
    looks like the marines have a long walk to claim a tech point
    looks like the marines have a long walk to claim a tech point

They never seem to have a problem with that when I've played.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Might I make a small suggestion? Room name should be condensed in some areas, Sanitation, Purification, Shipping Access. helps keep the minimap cleaner and is nice for us caster types :P just suggestions.
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    Might I make a small suggestion? Room name should be condensed in some areas, Sanitation, Purification, Shipping Access. helps keep the minimap cleaner and is nice for us caster types :P just suggestions.
    A good point, though Sanitation Control, new as it might be, is kind of dear to my heart. The others I'll think about. :D

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Auxiliary Generator = Auxiliary
    Sanitation Control = Sanitation
    That One Hallway = One Hallway
    Upper Shipping Access = Access
    Shipping Tunnels = Tunnels
    Ventilation System = Ventilation
    Purification Station = Purification

@Jekt Some of those I'll definitely implement!
    No new names yet, but:

CHANGELOG [29th of june 2014]
    o Re-greyboxed Purification
    o Altered vents from Sewer to Purification
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited July 2014
    How about these ? :P

Auxiliary Generator Station Control
    Sanitation Control Station Hallway
    That One Generator Station Hallway
    Upper Shipping System Control Access
    Shipping Control Station Tunnels
    Ventilation Control Access System
    Purification Access Control Station

Voice-Chat: "Marines incoming from Upper Shipping System Control... north to Ventilation Control Access System... south." ;)
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    That's cool to receive so much feedbacks for names of your rooms. ;)
    Each new name shall abide to the five-word-minimum rule.
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    edited July 2014
    Maybe I missed it (did not read the whole thread), but is there a reason central isn't a double node room anymore? Have double nodes been deemed unbalanced? Also keep purification station with that name. It rolls off the tongue :)
    edited July 2014
    @Darakian Central is a pretty powerful location, when it had two RTs it was even more so. I didn't want it to be too much of a who-has-central-wins kinda thing.

Also, just so people who may play the map in the European Night Cup on Saturday will know, I will publish a new build of Caged on Friday with the following changes:

o Arc locations on Aux Gen hiveroom in Stability and Upper Shipping will be dealt with
    o Old ramp in upper shipping down to Bypass/Shipping Tunnels junction reinstated (for now)
    o Shipping Tunnels will be partially detailed (this is what happens when you catch me having to fix map issues while detailing :p)
    o Cover for Aux Gen hive from That One Hallway... no idea how I'm gonna do with this one yet
    o Altered Purification to be slightly more like before

I may be forgetting a thing or two, we'll see. :D

EDIT: Just been informed that the European Night Cup has been cancelled with another event being planned in its place at a later date, so I will stop sweating over these changes and work at a more comfortable pace. probably for Sunday's SCC test.

EDIT 2: So the NA/AUS draft tournament is this weekend, meaning I will be publishing the build tomorrow anyway. Meep!
    As promised, new build is published.

CHANGELOG [11th of july 2014]
    o Fixed OP arc locations in Stability and Upper Shipping that could hit the Aux Gen hiveroom
    o Reinstated the previous ramp in Upper Shipping down to the Bypass/Shipping Tunnels junction
    o Partially detailed Shipping Tunnels (some greybox dev textures remain)
    o Addec cover in That One Hallway to break LOS on the Aux Gen hive
    o Altered Purification to be slightly more like before and improved its occlusion geometry
    o Fixed occlusion geometry issue in the Sewer/Purification vents above the doorways
    o Reduced number of grating girders in Sewer hive from three to two
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    @Flaterectomy‌
    I know double nodes makes it more powerful. I thought that was the idea :p
    Either way I like the way it's going and I fully understand that ns2 is not ns1. Balance is just different. Great work :)
    Darakian wrote: »
    @Flaterectomy‌
    I know double nodes makes it more powerful. I thought that was the idea :p
    Either way I like the way it's going and I fully understand that ns2 is not ns1. Balance is just different. Great work :)

The idea is that it's already powerful, being a central location with access to every part of the map.
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not the most thrilling gameplay, but since you skipped last sunday...

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited July 2014
    To my opinion Central is to be reshaped.

Explanation:
    A lot of alleys circling the room. So you can always go around and have control of the surrounding and set up an attack. But it's also a line of defense for Central room. 2 access on the room with on that has some kind of window which are use to enter in. The price is you can't go stealth on the north exit.

Scenario A:
    Aliens get it first. They will be able to reduce greatly the distances with a tunnel. Then they can mark any marine that comes around by using the circling alleys. Frankly it's too easy. And once the Lerks are up... it's a claim on all the map faster than marine would do with the same control on Central. Marine start to defend on their borders soon.

if marines try to attack they will probably deal with a gorge Crag and maybe a Shade. The time to get rid of it for one marine is to big to ensure a clear claim of the room. So a good portion of the team (3) has to push in. It needs time to set up the attack without being noticed, and proceed. No chance on stealth mode if alien are good players. And the marines leave the rest of map unprotected.

Scenario B:
    Marines get it first. They will ruin any alien effort to get RTs because marines will be able to dispatch any time to get rid of any harvester growing (or teleported).

If aliens try to attack they will probably deal with 2 marines guarding it and making sure they keep great distances between them and the exits. Eventually a TF set up would be here. Alien can't wait for lerk or fade to claim it nor Bile bomb. Unless they're really good and close to high level skill, this situation will not be unlocked like that.

This is by definition not accessible for the new comers.

I believe Central needs
    -a vent for alien
    -less ceiling stuff that makes it too easy for good skulks (Circling alleys).
    -And a third exit (like hydroanalysis)

I know it a difficult job, and obviously a lot of time was invested in it, but I'm sure you'll find something to do.

@UncleCrunch Could you elaborate on the vent you feel needs adding?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited September 2014
    @UncleCrunch Could you elaborate on the vent you feel needs adding?

Images are better than words.
    46912c6108a990198ababa794cf300.png
    Please make sure you put your images behind spoiler tags, UncleCrunch. -Decoy

Green rectangle is the spot.
    Blue arrow. Marines get in Central from here at start. A sure parasite shot for who knows.

Actually the room is opened on North and South (yellow arrows) while the connection to the other areas are on the sides. Whoever has the green area, have control of the surroundings (orange). It's close to be the same room but not completely.

The vent view is blocked (purple arrow). This was probably done because of Bile bomb, but now it's a problem for any skulk that want to synchronize an attack. In fact i feel it's better to enter from the South entrance as you have more chance to dodge and hide in the wall and ceiling corners. BTW ... One mine on the vent entrance and bye bye skulky.

->>
    Why not opening the room on East and West directly ?
    -and maybe another cardinal point of your choice (North / South).
    -and finally create a vent connecting the last face to the exterior.
    ...like Hydroanalysis

It doesn't mean you have to "redo" everything. Wandering in the editor i saw that you can reuse a lot of things.

Despite the LOS issue to solve; it would enable the ability to attack it directly (A more "opened" area vs Nest config). And maybe ppl would start to try to conquer other areas (or deny) a little more.

Right now this area is the key to win but also part of the problem.

Plus i see it's a 4 TP map. It makes everything behaving exponentially (RT, map control). Try add one. This would change the marine start 'routine'. A remake doesn't mean you have to do exactly the same thing "refurbished" with 2012 graphics. No need to tell you the game is quite different on many aspects. You were forced to reshape some parts already.