Long time NS1 Player...will I enjoy NS2?

ShYbeRShYbeR Join Date: 2014-06-22 Member: 196717Members
I used to play NS1 back in the day (FAT clan. We killed CAL-NS!!!). When NS2 came out I tried it out and I hated it. Has the game made any significant strides since its release?

For me...the main issues where:
1) Lack of key bind options. I cant remember off the top of my head but I remember there was an issue with key binds..like some keys couldn't be bound or unbounded I believe.
2) Clunky/not smooth movement. The movement ingame just felt so unnatural for me. Skulk jumping and bites seemed off as did marine jumping. Jetpacks in NS2 was laughable in both mobility and speed/acceleration compared to NS1.

Those 2 were my biggest issues when I first played NS2. Have they been addressed?

Comments

• sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    The game does run a lot better than at release. If you already own it why don't you just play it and find out? If you don't own it, it's only a few bucks to buy.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @ShYbeR‌ Like shamrock wrote, there has been lots of improvements since release. Performance is a lot better and you can bind most keys to functions (all?). If you already own it there is no reason not to try it again. You might wanna wait a day or two though since there is a flash sale going on right now and a summer sale for another week which means the servers are full with new players.
  • ZTrainZTrain Join Date: 2013-03-15 Member: 183969Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    I enjoy this game in the current state that it is. Could there be improvements? Yes. But, on the other hand I still have fun with lots of my friends. Others have expressed grief due to many players being much more highly experienced than others, and they feel they are constantly stomped. While I agree at times this is the case. I think many of these new players could benefit from said veterans if they only began to try and learn to improve and ask these more experienced players questions along the way instead of screaming "YOU FUCKING STACKER FUCK I HATE THIS SHIT GAME" etc.

IN SHORT GIVE IT A SHOT ONCE MORE! :)

/endwalloftext
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    1. Bind options are much improved. Thank you @sewlek
    2. I have played since b208, and when ns2 was released I do not remember. I remember alien movement was altered quite a bit in b250. Marine movement has not been touched too much as far as I know. Jetpacks have been changed but not in a way I think you would find significantly better.

Maybe we can get some comp players in here @decoy @joshhh @locklear who might be able to answer your questions better.

That aside, give it a try. It really can't hurt. Try some pugs if you have comp experience too.
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    Game is a lot crappier then NS1, but it is still ns... take that on from a 1.0 ns1 player back in the ancient days.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Skulk and fade movement have changed significantly since release. The skilled movement system (wall-jumping) is now much more simple and intuitive, and allows for much smoother skulk movement with a much higher degree of freedom than the previous iterations did. Fade now has similar movement mechanics to ns1, relying on chaining blinks into jumps for energy conservation - also allow for much smoother movement with a much higher degree of freedom. Both skulks and fades have queued jumping to aid in this.

Jetpacks are nowhere near back to their former glory. I think they have improved somewhat since release, but you'll still be disappointed.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Skulk and fade movement have changed significantly since release. The skilled movement system (wall-jumping) is now much more simple and intuitive, and allows for much smoother skulk movement with a much higher degree of freedom than the previous iterations did. Fade now has similar movement mechanics to ns1, relying on chaining blinks into jumps for energy conservation - also allow for much smoother movement with a much higher degree of freedom. Both skulks and fades have queued jumping to aid in this.

Jetpacks are nowhere near back to their former glory. I think they have improved somewhat since release, but you'll still be disappointed.

But you can JUMP now when you have a jp, that's all I need.

"Want to jump onto that tiny ledge because an Onos is goring your feet? Sorry mate, no jetpack fuel in your legs..."
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    It's about half as good as NS1.

While the motion is better, the gameplay is less interesting and the balancing is absolutely terrible. Most matches are one way, the good old days of a constant struggle and balance of power can now only be maintained by players leaving and joining. A lot of the systems are abusable.
  • ShYbeRShYbeR Join Date: 2014-06-22 Member: 196717Members
    thanks for the input guys!

So I guess gone are the days of a solo JPer soloing a hive huh?

So far the game isn't as bad as I thought it would be! Although the sound of skulk footsteps are really low for whatever reason..in fact footsteps in general are just really low. And not a fan of the reload/ammo system for marines. I find myself having to spam for ammo a lot because I always reload since I know every bullet counts.

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    the_tick wrote: »
    Game is a lot crappier THAN NS1, but it is still ns... take that on from a 1.0 ns1 player back in the ancient days.

Fixed. But yeah, I disagree. I played tons of ns1. But NO GAME has EVER captivated me like ns2. No, you can still solo a hive, but only against a very unresponsive alien team w/ a very responsive commander medding and ammoing you.

@ the OP, I think the movement mechanics are just something you get used to. Going back now to ns1 mechanics and I'd feel how you felt but in reverse.

Stick around though! It will surely grow on you.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ShYbeR wrote: »

So far the game isn't as bad as I thought it would be! Although the sound of skulk footsteps are really low for whatever reason..in fact footsteps in general are just really low. And not a fan of the reload/ammo system for marines. I find myself having to spam for ammo a lot because I always reload since I know every bullet counts.

Still happens often enough, but that is skill related though.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Oh, it's not unheard of ;)
    Turn game music down, turn game volume up, you should be fine. I lowered the music volume greatly from the default value but I still keep it there for the atmosphere and the awesome "infesting" track that sometimes plays at the start of the round :D

Also reloading.. Eh, reloading wont make you need ammo more... Missing will :P Also the habit of reloading frequently is a hard but important one to break out of in NS2. Many of my early deaths were because I reloaded in the presence of an alien, rather than carefully making sure I didnt need to reload during an engagement.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    2cough wrote: »
    Stick around though! It will surely grow on you.
    This. It's not NS1, but it has its own charms. And don't take it too seriously -- turn up all the details (but still try to maintain 60fps) and enjoy the atmosphere.

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members

Oh, it's not unheard of ;)
    Turn game music down, turn game volume up, you should be fine. I lowered the music volume greatly from the default value but I still keep it there for the atmosphere and the awesome "infesting" track that sometimes plays at the start of the round :D

Also reloading.. Eh, reloading wont make you need ammo more... Missing will :P Also the habit of reloading frequently is a hard but important one to break out of in NS2. Many of my early deaths were because I reloaded in the presence of an alien, rather than carefully making sure I didnt need to reload during an engagement.

I think the reloading thing is from the auto-call (is it only for greens?). The guy runs lowish on ammo and it makes him automatically request for ammo.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I was comming yesterday and had a green requesting ammo when he had shot just one clip - told him to stop, so he typed in chat AMMO and then... 5 seconds pause... OH WAIT SORRY :P

I'm still confused as to how he managed to think he was out :D
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    It is truly funny that the people disagreeing only have accounts of 1 year, clearly you have no proof that you have ever played NS1, if you did, you know why it is so much better...
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I went back to play ns1 after a good amount of ns2 and skulk movement in ns1 was way harder. Unless you were a superpro bhopper you would get stuck on walls and corners, buildings and other players. Remember how often people cried about others blocking them and getting killed in ns1? Never happens in ns2 unless it's an onos and a gorge.

Jetpack speed was buffed by a noticeable amount in ns2 after release so it's better now

If you want to solo a hive it's possible with a jp/flamer combo and kill all the structures at the same time.
  • PrankPrank Join Date: 2003-02-09 Member: 13311Members, Constellation
    Desther wrote: »
    I went back to play ns1 after a good amount of ns2 and skulk movement in ns1 was way harder. Unless you were a superpro bhopper you would get stuck on walls and corners, buildings and other players. Remember how often people cried about others blocking them and getting killed in ns1? Never happens in ns2 unless it's an onos and a gorge.

Jetpack speed was buffed by a noticeable amount in ns2 after release so it's better now

If you want to solo a hive it's possible with a jp/flamer combo and kill all the structures at the same time.

My old account, your turn
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    We really do not have the same experience of ns1.
    Especially regarding movement, the GoldSrc engine is one, if not the best engine in several areas, and movement is the main one.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    Prank wrote: »

My old account, your turn
    Obviously the more posts and age your account has the bett... wait...

on another note, I thought we in general had this conversation about 10 years ago :P
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Uh oh, I didn't join the forums when I was playing ns1 when I was 14! Someone better call me out on it!

O good, someone did, PHEW!
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    Regnareb wrote: »
    Especially regarding movement, the GoldSrc engine is one, if not the best engine in several areas, and movement is the main one.

What criteria are you using to judge something like that?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'm curious... What's this NS"1" people keep mentioning
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    To quote a friend "a point and click adventure game, we're u click and make the bad things go away"
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kouji_San wrote: »

I'm fairly sure that's the sign of NS british pound(s?).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    moultano wrote: »
    Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
    I was thinking the same thing.

*prepares flame shield*
    I find the NS2 skulk movement to be so much more fluid, intuitive and almost rhythmic compared to NS1's skulk.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2014
    Ricez wrote: »
    Regnareb wrote: »

What criteria are you using to judge something like that?
    The way it handles sound, spatialization, network, collisions, responsiveness, fluidness... it's so much reliable in every aspect.
  • freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The one thing with the Half-life engine is we all had plenty of practice in it from multiple games. Getting into NS2, I had to relearn all of my movements and everything even the LMG shooting I had to retrain, skulk biting is pretty close to what it was in NS1, although I feel like the bite hitbox is smaller or doesn't carry as much distance as the NS1 did, or that just could be lag. We were also had the ability to modify cmdrate/updaterate and some other parameters that we don't have access to in this game. The game also went on for something like what 8 years? Even for a moderate player that plays a few hours a week that adds up to easily 1000 hours of playtime. That is plenty of muscle memory.