Announcing the Community Development Team - Build 266 and possibly beyond?

Comments

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Does this mean we can get a functional AV?
    Maybe even some of the more popular features mendasp's NS2+ mod has?
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    current1y wrote: »
    Does this mean we can get a functional AV?
    Maybe even some of the more popular features mendasp's NS2+ mod has?

Probably will not offer the option of different AVs. That will likely stay in NS2+

As for NS2+ features, yes, we can definitely get some of those in. That's the awesome part of having Mendasp on the team ;)
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Huge news, and congrats to you all. Will there be a DLC to celebrate this event? I would love to throw a few more dollars toward the pool that will pay for the coffee and energy drinks you guys (and gals) need to keep up the great work.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Just one question @Decoy‌: Will Mantis be more open to modders? This would kinda help us all because you can get more ppl in digging up old bugs and trying to fix them ( if some of us get bored of their current projects ).
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think anyone is getting paid for our efforts, but if anything that money could go towards possible future DLC, and buying extra copies for friends, Definatly want to get new faces in on this now that NS2's progress will no longer feel like it's halted.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ISE, any chance you will do a raffle cast like Reddog? I will buy a copy of NS2 for you to give away (hell, its on sale now). Let me know if you are keen to do that.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Probably the best news I've read in months. I wish you guys good luck toward taming the beast that is NS2 and perhaps even making it do some new tricks.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Need an option to be able to join one server and playing on that while waiting in que to another :)
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2014
    the pool that will pay for the coffee and energy drinks you guys (and gals) need to keep up the great work.

Man, I wish that pool existed. Unfortunately none of us get paid :P This is all volunteer right now

We're hoping to get more content in general in the future, but we're not sure yet when that will be. We want to make sure everything is running smoothly first :)

Just one question @Decoy‌: Will Mantis be more open to modders? This would kinda help us all because you can get more ppl in digging up old bugs and trying to fix them ( if some of us get bored of their current projects ).
    Likely not. We discussed this a few days ago. Mantis is where we post all of our bugs, including in-depth details of game-breaking or potentially exploitable bugs. We do want to open up a Trello that shares what we're working on in general so that everyone can know what we're doing without giving step by step details on how to break things :P
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue

Limiting options isn't the way to go. What should be done is similar to what TF2 does. If you attempt to join a server over X amount of people, you're given a quick warning "Game wasn't designed for this, low fps and server performance is very likely to occur blah blah" with a "OK" and a "Do not show again" button.

An extra solution:
    Introduce higher server and clientrates without many serveroptimations so its impossible for >24 slot run these rates.
    Result:
    If people want to play on 42 clusterfucked servers, well they can do. But they dont have the smooth gameplay with higher rates.

And btw:
    Cant find an option to run an server >24 in the game.
    So "limiting options" isnt possible in this case.

And here we can see the problem of community balance/feedback:
    Ask 15 people and you get 15 different answers.

• MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    This is great news guys, an awesome new direction for NS2!

If we find any bug fixes or develop anything that might be useful for your efforts while developing NS2:Combat, I'll certainly send patches your way (although in fairness we're mostly working on new features right now).
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So, am I interpreting this right?

That actual engine code will be made available (Spark, isnt it)?

Will it be available for anyone or for selected team members only?

Does this mean there is increased potential for some improvements that lowers the insane CPU-appetite of the game?
  • IRONF1STIRONF1ST Join Date: 2013-12-01 Member: 189671Members
    Please just don't release patches with obnoxious and known bugs in them, unlike some of the previous patches....
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    for selected team members only

as far as I know to fsfod only
  • colonoscopy_odysseycolonoscopy_odyssey Melbourne Join Date: 2014-04-25 Member: 195607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    does this mean we can expect derelict to have an official release?
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great news. Hopefully this can breathe new life into the game.
    dePARA wrote: »
    Introduce higher server and clientrates

This, I find very appealing.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IRONF1ST wrote: »
    Please just don't release patches with obnoxious and known bugs in them, unlike some of the previous patches....

Let's not take this down a negative road and be happy we're getting patches at all lol.
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow, this is awesome. Congratulations to you guys and many thanks for your dedication.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Well, this thread has become quite the wishlist, congratulations and many good lucks to all the community devs involved!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    an all-star cast of talent, an opened up code - base and update release mechanism, this truly is a momentous step forward for ns2!
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Does this mean someone can finally fix the dam workshop problem... lol
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Let's see what the future holds... looking good with that team. 8->
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I would like to say that while there is a certain amount of people on that list, there is nothing wrong with submitting patches from anybody outside that team. Its really about the community developing the game.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Best news I've heard all year!
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2014
    Now stuff will be moving in a good direction...