NS2 Crashes Steam?

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited May 2014
    Wasnt willingly giving xp terms. I am just used to ya know, using the end result I forgot they renamed it to WER. :)
    I was thinking win7 in my mind. :D
    Because yes, winxp sucks now. :D

Omg Ironhorse.. you are just win8 biased. :P

Synapse drivers are easy to test. just rollback. :)

Many of you have windows update related WER errors in the dxdiag.
    Ill ask again. How does your folks event viewer look like? Most programs who crash note down something in there. :)
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Golden wrote: »
    I'm thinking it has to be something with Windows 8 and the latest Synapse update.
    This is my suspicion too.
    When zefram first brought this to my attention in steam that was the first thing i pointed to, (win 8) half out of jest..
    Though I don't see razer devices on every single user who submitted their dxdiag/techsupport, it is a common element.

All of you are running Windows 8, though, so far...
    Don't suppose any of you have a dual boot win7 setup?

Every tech support I looked at had a Razer Deathadder listed. I know Zefram's issue started the day after he switched back to his Deathadder.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3376005/NS2possible.evtx

I crashed and that is what I saw. I can't really be sure of how useful it is, but BAM!
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I crashed once more after uninstalling Synapisisisisis.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3376005/OnceMore.evtx

@DC_Darkling, I was slightly grumpy due to NS2 crashing. I do not mean to sound angry in any manner in the last posts by the way.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I doubt those few events you logged are related @CyberKun‌.
    So unless your app logs show anything else?
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2014
    I've done the scorched earth, nuke my system approach. The problem wasn't resolved. Although I have tried uninstall all the Razer software and going back to my Logitech mouse and it still produced the same crashes. No clue. League admin of the NS2 competitive league can't play NS2. GG. lol.
    Meh, those event errors are as helpful as playing ns2 with only turrets. :p
    Ah well, we tried that approach.

Do you have synapse 2.0?
    I did some quick searching and apparently it has cloud sync, logins and the whole lot. It makes me wonder if it somehow digs itself into the OS to much.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts

Do you have synapse 2.0?
    I did some quick searching and apparently it has cloud sync, logins and the whole lot. It makes me wonder if it somehow digs itself into the OS to much.

I just wanted to repeat i also have this issue at my 8.1 laptop not using any razer device.
    And noone has any windows crash errors or dmp files?
    I guess if memory serves you well & its some what reproducable, you could attempt to run a process monitor capture. See if it yields anything.
    edited May 2014
    @DC_Darkling, I can stream the thing live with you watching. Just add me to Steam friends.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Cyber-Kun
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Happened to me ONCE. Hasn't happened since. I'm certain it's a steam update, as it happened right after a steam update and 265 has been out for a little while now.

I have Win 8.1 with Razer Mouse, Keyboard and Headset.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer

Do you have synapse 2.0?

I just wanted to repeat i also have this issue at my 8.1 laptop not using any razer device.

Can you upload your techsupport.zip from your laptop? Everyone else has Windows 8.1 and a razer device.
    I dont mind having folk on me friends list, but I doubt streaming would do us any good. :)
    I could just do everything you say right there. So many possible things to get.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    This may or may not solve it and probably coincidental. @WasabiOne‌ suggested playing in offline mode/signed out of friends. I did that and did not crash for 2 rounds. Signed back into friends and was able to play 2 more rounds successfully. I believe it is likely a steam related issue and not NS2 or windows 8 or razer synapse.
    I played signed out of friends and I still crashed. Yay RNG! Anything else you might have done to fix it?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Happened to a Combat dev the other night while I was testing on his server as well. PAYDAY 2 did this during early testing, so it's not specific to NS2.
    That is... not really better? I guess it is for NS2 guys, since it is not their fault. Still dumb however. I guess I will wait some more.
    I uninstalled GEFORCE EPXRIEONCE and it seems to not be crashing anymore. Been playing the 20 minutes, an improve of 19 minutes from the 1 minute crash before.
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Tried a clean install of 8.0 and 8.1, no go. Reverted to Windows 7, all working. Don't know the cause, but it's very real and annoying.
    Tried a clean install of 8.0 and 8.1, no go. Reverted to Windows 7, all working. Don't know the cause, but it's very real and annoying.
    I think you just answered it. Something is happening with windows 8, steam, and ns2.

@Zefram, deleting Geforce Experience did it for me. I have no clue what is going on but something is.
    CyberKun wrote: »
    @Zefram, deleting Geforce Experience did it for me. I have no clue what is going on but something is.
    No idea really. I have an a couple R9 290s.

• PikumPikum Indiana, USA Join Date: 2014-05-18 Member: 196104Members
    I too am having this issue... Haven't been able to play for a few days. Crashes randomly.. during load, at the end of load, or a few min into a match... Steam crashes which then causes the game to crash.

I agree that it seems to be a steam issue rather than an NS2 issue since the log doesn't seem to show any errors, but that doesn't explain why it isn't happening with other games on steam.

Hardware: AMD x4 955 & GTX 550ti
    back to the drawing board... still crashing.
    Im out of ideas atm.. As you lot seem to crash without the program or windows writing any logs or dumps about it.
    I will keep thinking.

Yes you can add me on steam if you want, but im often busy. (I have some of you on steam already also)
  • CyberWalrusCyberWalrus United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-05-16 Member: 196070Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2014
    @DC_Darkling‌ Okays, heres some dumps of both NS2 and steam crashing, captured by attaching to them from visual studio and then breaking on exceptions.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/177mb7sa6mxp71i/Dumps.7z

And a debug log of the whole session:
    http://pastebin.com/pnShw15b

Hope this can start to shed some light on the cause?

For reference, I have a lot of the stuff thats been identified as possibilities in this thread. Nvidia GPU, GeForce Experience and Razer Synapse. I think I've also encountered a very similar crash once when playing tf2, but nothing near the consistency of what I'm getting with NS2, which is crashing pretty much always after being connected to a server for more than a couple of minutes.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    I'm getting this very frequently now, making it basically impossible to play. :/ SteelSeries mouse here, Win 8.1 which I hadn't updated in ages and also an Nvidia GPU. Might post the logs and stuff at a later date.
    The only commonality is windows 8/8.1, Steam, and NS2.