Commander Badge Frustration

MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
I'm finding it very frustrating playing with people who have the 'commander badge' and are reluctant to jump in the command chair.

Example yesterday, waiting five minutes for a marine commander despite five team members having the badge.

I know it's not a given that they are either good commanders or like commanding since its a time based thing but seriously, they have a lot of hours in the chair. It makes me think many simply farmed them.

I wonder how many would own up to farming. ~:>

Comments

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also commanding Alien differs from commanding Marine, maybe they been used to just one team? However unlikely with five commander badged dudes.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    I'm finding it very frustrating playing with people who have the 'commander badge' and are reluctant to jump in the command chair.

Example yesterday, waiting five minutes for a marine commander despite five team members having the badge.

I know it's not a given that they are either good commanders or like commanding since its a time based thing but seriously, they have a lot of hours in the chair. It makes me think many simply farmed them.

I believe you're mistaking between : the badge significance and the typical commander portrait.

The badge : 10 hours winning as commander and / or 20 hours loosing. Nothing more. It doesn't mean because the badge is on that they are pro at commanding and / or have any obligation to command for future games.

Typical commander portrait :
    A commander has two concerns before and during the game.

1/ The oracle syndrome
    If no one wants to jump in the chair it probably means the teammates aren't the "kind" that play proper (at least). Worse with greenies. So the guy with the badge is most likely to be better on the field than the rest of the team. Basically the guy knows the game is over before it happens.

2 / The Rambo case
    I see more and more games with players who lack of experience that just rush, and rush, and dies, and dies for no improvement on the tactical layer. They do not listen and probably never will. You can do that when you're a top ten competitive player but they're not.

As an example: On kodiak i asked for lerks and only that. Stacked team on marine side. I knew that i could only delay the inevitable. But worse happened. I saw one guy having enough res for a fade. It means he stayed as skulk long enough to weaken the team by not being a lerk earlier. I told him not evolve as fade but lerk and lerk only. At least he could have 2. He evolved as fade. Then was "flashed" and flushed away. That is the kind commanders hate.

It's like the guys asking for exos... They clearly don't know what it is obviously and worse, they don't know how to read as they can train against bots with the "training" menu. whoaaaaaa.

Another example on large game. Everyone rush, shoot bullets and die in the first minute. And even if you have 2 IPs already, you know the game is done.

So if you guys want to motivate the commanders:

1/ listen to the commander and try to do as he says when he ask. A commander do NOT forgive teammates when he loose because jerks are running around doing nothing. He will be forgiving when you try do do as he says because you tried at least. Loosing a game is not important for a commander as long as the team behave as he wish. Then it'll be his fault and responsibility. This time for real. But we all know it's always the case.

2 / Look at your ****ing map on a regular basis. It's not difficult, and red dots means bad thing happening. You will be far more efficient on the field when you look at it. Simply because you will know where to go without the commander asking for it.

3/ Sentry the PG. If you see you're alone on a PG site and you're not sure of the surroundings, stay and guard a little. You'll be visited for sure. Dispatch on the map. Everybody on a location means no one on other locations...

I still vote for commander evaluation on games. People never listen if there is no risk to loose something. Even if it is a on-line NS2 game reputation only.

• CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I realy enjoy commanding on both sides. If you do it right even if you lose you will get a "gj comm" from your team.
    The hardest part is an unexpected bile rush (without warning). I still think bile should work on structures not power nodes.

About the comm badge it should be more of a get and lose thing. More you win then more you can keep your badge. Now it doesnt show any thing about comm skills. It had a good impact on ppl to try out commanding. But when the hype is over thay will probably not do it again...
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Personally, I think it would be better to add more time to get the Commander Badge

I don't think it should take longer to get, I just think it should be based on wins.
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    It depends. I com a lot, but if I am in mumble it's harder to hear in game, and if you com in pugs or comp it just gets frustrating to command pubs when people don't listen.

It also depends on who is on my team...
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    There's a commander badge? phew good thing it was added after i stopped commanding 8)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I agree with @meatmachine, I find alien commanding to be a much more rewarding and enjoyable experience. And @MuckyMcFly, I'm often one of the offenders who has badge and won't command, but most often this is because I work 2 jobs, and often only have 20 - 30 minutes for a game before I must leave, so usually I will opt out so I dont potentially have to leave team mid-game.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    the badge should require many more hours work commanding
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    I don't know why but the past few months, across a myriad of different servers, people seem to be less tolerant of commanders either making mistakes or not playing absolutely 100% perfect and dropping medpacks every time and being their personal vendor b!tch. I used to command more than half my games and held a solid win rate but now, I just cba dealing with as @Desther would put it, being a verbal punching bag because you don't tailor specifically to every single request.

Playing on servers like KKG for example, you get some really nasty and arrogant people there particularly if they play marines. If you don't hover over them the entire game ready to medpack them then you get abuse and votes to eject. They might be good individual players but they're awful at teamwork. Same applies to lower ranked pubs, a bunch of relatively speaking 'noobs' instantly resort to cognitive dissonance and blame the commander for their loss whereas in reality, the team might be awful.

In its current incarnation, commander badge means nothing anyway other than the most basic of pub servers. A tiered badge system and different badges for alien and marine comm would be better. Atm, its just a badge that if you comm every now and then you eventually get.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    1/ The oracle syndrome
    If no one wants to jump in the chair it probably means the teammates aren't the "kind" that play proper (at least). Worse with greenies. So the guy with the badge is most likely to be better on the field than the rest of the team. Basically the guy knows the game is over before it happens.

This. So much this. There's basically two situations for me:

1) I play on a server with people I know. This means there's always someone to comm around.
    2) I play on a random pub server. People who I've never seen, who don't respond to my questions if anyone has a mic and who probably can't shoot straight. I don't want to comm this kind of people. It's exhausting, you feel powerless and it makes you rage for no reason.

The fact that I'm a bit of a sucky comm probably doesn't help. I actually prefer marines. I never know what to do all the time, and you're very dependent on your field players, which adds to the helplessness. And my alien teams always seem to lose ALL of my RTs -.-

...which, on the other side, means, that I use my power as marine comm to medspam way to much which leads to delayed upgrades and lost games...
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I find it just as annoying when a person instantly jumps in the chair and does stupid things immediately. But people see a badge and either they think its an admin or a decent commander (when they aren't).
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Spare a thought for us Aussies, when you join a typical game, at least half the players have a comm badge (and shadow or both - small community), but no one will comm :-) We aussies play different.
  • freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Probably doesn't help that if the Aussies want to play on a server thats in the EU/US, commanding is one of the things they can do well with that ping.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Probably doesn't help that if the Aussies want to play on a server thats in the EU/US, commanding is one of the things they can do well with that ping.

Quite the opposite actually, fielding is much more effective on higher ping than commanding.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Spare a thought for us Aussies, when you join a typical game, at least half the players have a comm badge (and shadow or both - small community), but no one will comm :-) We aussies play different.

Aussies don't always comm but when they do, they do... they fight over who isn't going to comm...

Someone think of something better. Coolest man in the world meme thing.
  • octosapienoctosapien Join Date: 2013-09-04 Member: 187792Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Speaking of this commander badge. Is there a way deactivate this certain badge without disabling my 2 other badges? When I log in on the hive page I can only choose the order or hide all my in game badges.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    octosapien wrote: »
    Speaking of this commander badge. Is there a way deactivate this certain badge without disabling my 2 other badges? When I log in on the hive page I can only choose the order or hide all my in game badges.

The only solution is more badges.

Since the only option is these three or none at all.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

It's a very subtle way of earning more money
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

1$ blue babbler badge. #problemsolved
    joshhh wrote: »

1$ blue babbler badge. #problemsolved

It's a very subtle way of earning slightly more money
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Well, I thought the whole point of adding commander badges was exactly to get people to command more often (or at least try). So if people are "farming" the badges, I'd say it's a succes. :D
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    @Neoken
    You almost made it, now think one step further.
    Extrinsic motivators like achievements or this commander badge fall flat on their face once the condition has been fulfilled and the superficial carrot handed out.

Example: TF2 has this pyro achievement where you are supposed to set a target on fire and then shoot it with your shotgun.
    Easy enough. Given enough time everybody will make it.
    A halfway decent player will make it within less than 30secs after setting out to "get" the achievement.

But lo and behold, in marches the grind.
    You are expected to repeat this really easy and stupid set of actions 100 times.
    Guess what happens once the player has gone through the required motions 100 times in a row?
    He drops it like the toxic 10,000°C radioactive potato that it is and never does it again.

And why would he? He has done it 100 times in a row. In the end it was no fun and it sucked. He had long since proven that he is capable, he just kept going through the motions like a brain-dead zombie to get that carrot, but now he got the carrot.
    He's done with it.

--> 10min waiting for comm badge players to get into the frakkin chair/hive explained.
    This is why I set my server to start a 45sec countdown until game start once there is 1 comm. The results speak for themselves.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2014
    I never said I expected people who have obtained such a badge to continue commanding in pubs indefinitely. But that's not the fault of the badge. It's just there as a simple incentive. The problem here is that some people wrongfully expect those with commander badges to command every single game. :)
    Hamlet wrote: »
    @Neoken
    You almost made it, now think one step further.
    Extrinsic motivators like achievements or this commander badge fall flat on their face once the condition has been fulfilled and the superficial carrot handed out.

Example: TF2 has this pyro achievement where you are supposed to set a target on fire and then shoot it with your shotgun.
    Easy enough. Given enough time everybody will make it.
    A halfway decent player will make it within less than 30secs after setting out to "get" the achievement.

But lo and behold, in marches the grind.
    You are expected to repeat this really easy and stupid set of actions 100 times.
    Guess what happens once the player has gone through the required motions 100 times in a row?
    He drops it like the toxic 10,000°C radioactive potato that it is and never does it again.

And why would he? He has done it 100 times in a row. In the end it was no fun and it sucked. He had long since proven that he is capable, he just kept going through the motions like a brain-dead zombie to get that carrot, but now he got the carrot.
    He's done with it.

--> 10min waiting for comm badge players to get into the frakkin chair/hive explained.
    This is why I set my server to start a 45sec countdown until game start once there is 1 comm. The results speak for themselves.

Not to mention that the grinding process is rarely fun for anyone else involved.