Custom map playtest sessions

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Howser wrote: »
    Everyone over the age of 18 is under strict orders to get alcohol for tonight.

Wait, there's someone younger? :O :D
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I will be live streaming Troops rage from 20:00GMT -
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    so whats been updated?
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • prevertmaximusprevertmaximus Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11630Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hey to NS2 players and server owners,

The ns2_orbital_beta map has been updated so the draw calls are now very low all over the map now. And some subscribers would like to play this map. If any server owners could put this map in rotation on there server that would be great to get some long play time feed back.

Thanks, Max
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Wow! We are going to have a heck of a Sunday tomorrow!

Off the top of my head, I've got...
    -ns2_temple
    -ns2_orbital_beta
    -ns2_relik

But I'm sure I'm forgetting some!
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    New SCC server address: 212.38.163.88:27015
  • prevertmaximusprevertmaximus Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11630Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hi, to any of the players or map testers,
    Ok, I have seen them test the ns2_orbital_beta map and watched them play it on twitch/tv. Have herd then saying it is marine sided when the marines win. Then alien sided when they win. They don't change side to see if the map is good or bad. Not just stacked or uneven player skills. So where is all the input on maps that are supposed to be tested before the mappers move on to keep or change the map in any way. I mean I have seen them play and the commander has no idea what to do, he seems to never have played NS2 or its a first time out. How do players like that really test a map when they don't even know what to look for. I would think that only a group of competitive, or just all well skilled players would be the best way to test the maps they might play on. Lets face it for anyone to start mapping for NS2, and put god knows how many hours of work it takes to make a map. Even maps base of orignal NS1 maps. Like Veil, Caged, Hera and Orbital, etc. With no real input on the maps, seems to be that maps in general would then just be a waste of time. So for mappers to move forward with there maps lets try to have some real specific thoughts on the maps so others can play them. Or what would be great , if server owners would run the maps for a while on pubs to see what reaction players in general have about the maps.

Thanks, Max
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hi, to any of the players or map testers,
    Ok, I have seen them test the ns2_orbital_beta map and watched them play it on twitch/tv. Have herd then saying it is marine sided when the marines win. Then alien sided when they win. They don't change side to see if the map is good or bad. Not just stacked or uneven player skills. So where is all the input on maps that are supposed to be tested before the mappers move on to keep or change the map in any way. I mean I have seen them play and the commander has no idea what to do, he seems to never have played NS2 or its a first time out. How do players like that really test a map when they don't even know what to look for. I would think that only a group of competitive, or just all well skilled players would be the best way to test the maps they might play on. Lets face it for anyone to start mapping for NS2, and put god knows how many hours of work it takes to make a map. Even maps base of orignal NS1 maps. Like Veil, Caged, Hera and Orbital, etc. With no real input on the maps, seems to be that maps in general would then just be a waste of time. So for mappers to move forward with there maps lets try to have some real specific thoughts on the maps so others can play them. Or what would be great , if server owners would run the maps for a while on pubs to see what reaction players in general have about the maps.

Thanks, Max

Whether or not it's one-sided on a strategical level, the map is simply awkward to play on on a player-level. Every room and corridor is very tight, making it awkward to play on as Lerk or Fade, especially once shotguns are out. Some of the obstacles throughout the map don't help.

On a sidenote, I found it almost impossible to attack the south-western TP as an alien safely. There's only two entrances and no way to flank. A vent could help.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    @prevertmaximus I think the lack feedback is due to the fact we're use to having the mapper present for the tests. We generally give feedback and opinions as we play the map or just after.
    Getting a feel for the map is very important. You can only get that by playing it many times. SCC tests are that much more valuable if you attend regularly.
    As for balance feedback you'll generally find the losing side on a unfamiliar crying 'unbalanced', so you have to take that with a pinch of salt.

We just have too many maps to play each one twice and our tests need be light-hearted and fun. I'm sorry you don't see much value in the tests but without attending the whole sessions and sitting in mumble with us you are missing out on a huge part of what Sundays offer.
    @Pelargir runs a much more structure , 6v6 comp orientated testing session that happens every Thursday. I recommend you ask him to play it when they get a chance.
    Thanks, Howard
    Whats new tonight then?
    We've got relic and caged so far
    Hey Howser,
    Thanks, for the update. Yes have already contacted him. Want to get 6v6 play info.

Thanks, Max
    edited June 2014
    Can someone send me a message with the address of the mumble server? I reinstalled windows and now I don't have it anymore...

edit: You know what, nvmd. I scrolled up to the top of the page :D
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Will we be playing tonight?

'cuz I rushed frost yesterday to be done for today and turns out there's a final of a worldcup or something...
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Will we be playing tonight?
    'cuz I rushed frost yesterday to be done for today and turns out there's a final of a worldcup or something...

Server is not responding on my side of the world. Ping = 999.

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    The server was dead the last two sundays...was looking forward to play despite the worldcup :P What is going on?!?
    The server was dead the last two sundays...was looking forward to play despite the worldcup :P What is going on?!?

Uhm... we were actually playing. Maybe you had the old address?
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I searched for spark as server name, but I couldn't find a 2nd server. Maybe 20 cest was too early and 22 too late. We don't really play long games anymore :(
    Multiplay changed our IP. Not sure why... i'll update the group page. both Sundays had games going on for 3+ hours
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Playtesting starts at 2pm CST, 12pm PST.
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Our mumble, next time the server seems to break:

host: scc.mostlyoriginal.net
    port: 12437
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    I'm interested in joining fun maptesting. You say it's every sunday on the Spark Crafter Collective server ? I just added it to my favorites and will be glad to attend to next play session.
    I have to download munble though I just have Teamspeak at the moment.
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Same time again this week like every sunday 8PM BST (check the group if you're not sure) - still getting the map list together if you need IP's for the server/mumble its on the group or you can message me/flat/daan. If you have a map you would like to test or if you have an update please message me so i know its the best way to get your map on the list.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited July 2014
    Alright I might not come again on your server, I was kicked 1mn after I entered the game. For no apparent reason, maybe because one slot was needed..
    So, bye I guess

edit : yeah I tried one more time and was kicked again. I never thought this would happen. What a pity
    @MauvaisVitrier sorry to hear you got kicked. there must be a lot of active mappers and regulars playing tonight. Im on a break so I cant say why exactly why it happened. To secure a place and ensure you don't get kicked its quite important to go on the mumble server and let people know you're from the mapping community and there for map testing. Otherwise you'll be assumed to be random and open to the random kicking for slots to be made.
    Its nothing personal, If you're unknown to the admins they are obliged to make room for mappers. but that wont happen if you're on mumble.
    Don't get disheartened and have another crack :D
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    The solution is: rename to Howser. They will never kick you again. hehe